Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Chillyrabbit posted:

Aww... I liked Hunting Gear Guy. Thankfully it's not that bad, but I guess you have to hold your nose for at least not being super "blue lives matter" or other nonsense.

I only watch his YouTube stuff, but I'm guessing his anti com/ right libertarian views comes out on other social media platforms?

Yeah as you said, his Youtube content tends to stick to the guns. His politics only come out when he does podcasts, when he's abreast of other more chuddy types, and only barely. It's just the typical sort of misinformed perspective of "commies trying to take my guns."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

When I made my instagram I just followed all the popular guntubers I could think of and I remove them when they post something lovely. IV8888 was the first to go.

Sucks about Hunting Gear Guy, is Arm&Gun lovely? I enjoy seeing some of his more obscure guns.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

ishikabibble posted:

Othais has stated many times before he wants to keep the C&Rsenal channel apolitical, and FWIW the primary musician behind the project is a trans woman (and also a former goon) and there are multiple women involved on the production team. I think they've done a pretty decent job of it, but I can't say I'm familiar with every little bit of content they've done.

Oh word? That's pretty cool, is there a post floating around somewhere about that? I mentioned this to my pals and none of us knew

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

I would like to know more about TheHumbleMarksman. He's more competition focused, but has a palatable style of videos which are easy to watch and digest. Hopefully he's not a shithead.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

The gun penguin isn't apolitical, he's very liberal. But, I find him amusing as hell, his reviews seen pretty solid, and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

https://youtu.be/jlsuedek66k
Collab with TacticoolGF
https://youtu.be/NUuSjHSaDzQ
Discussion with Deviant Ollam, which is a very good listen.

tehinternet posted:

Is Garand Thumb a shithead?

Please tell me no, because he’s not insufferable.
https://youtu.be/txOqq5D-oIk
Not insufferable, you say?
The PitViper glasses are the cherry on top.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 21, 2021

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIx_vNo02js

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

One of these days, I'm going to buy a stupid loving 10mm, and preferably a reloading setup along with it.

But yeah from a sample size of one, this guy seems pretty all right. Gonna watch his video with Deviant Ollam next.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

tehinternet posted:

Is Garand Thumb a shithead?

Please tell me no, because he’s not insufferable.

lol he's insufferable and a shithead

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

sharkytm posted:

The gun penguin isn't apolitical, he's very liberal. But, I find him amusing as hell, his reviews seen pretty solid, and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

https://youtu.be/jlsuedek66k
Collab with TacticoolGF
https://youtu.be/NUuSjHSaDzQ
Discussion with Deviant Ollam, which is a very good listen.

https://youtu.be/txOqq5D-oIk
Not insufferable, you say?
The PitViper glasses are the cherry on top.

gently caress Garand Thumb and all but I want to point out that PitViper has posts on their IG account celebrating Trans Day of Visibility and Women’s Month. I can definitely see why chuds and Chud adjacent types buy their stuff given their marketing but I’m pretty sure they aren’t chuds themselves.

Disclosure: I bought a pair back in like 2017 when they were a one-person outfit and they had their mom hanging out with them at a mountain biking festival.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Funny thing to me about garand thumb is that if I remember right he’s active duty AF and it looks like he uses work gear for his vids. Unless he’s a dork and bought ground pano NVGs or PVS 31s, and all the tactical and technical gear himself.

not black enough fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 22, 2021

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

He was likely provided most of it, and buys the rest. I don’t know for sure, but it’s probably all his own.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Thermos posted:

When I made my instagram I just followed all the popular guntubers I could think of and I remove them when they post something lovely. IV8888 was the first to go.

Sucks about Hunting Gear Guy, is Arm&Gun lovely? I enjoy seeing some of his more obscure guns.

Arm&Gun seems staunchly apolitical, but who knows. Their whole schtick is just flabbergasting regardless.

Mind that shittiness is subjective and relative. Like yeah, I don't like when HGG plays along with dumb jokes about commies on podcasts, but he is without a doubt the most content-rich resource for Canadian guntube. Everyone has their own thresholds of acceptable shittiness to usefulness ratios. Like for my self, I still watch HGG stuff for the aforementioned reason, just they're not as apolitical as I wish they would be. Thems the ropes in our current political context though.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Anyone got a read on Northwest Armory?
They've got a gun I've been looking for at a substantially better price than anyone else, but their logo looks kinda...Nordic ruin-y?
Figured I'd inquire here before potentially giving them some of my money.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

They often have stuff in stock & are one of the larger chains here in city, but their service is spotty at best & it definitely plays into some of the not-great gun store stereotypes.

If you're in the Portland area, I prefer shopping at Oregon Rifleworks, J&B Firearms, Big Iron Armory, and Curt's Discount Shooting Supplies. For gunsmiting work Allison & Cary's out in Gresham has done right by me so far, though Curt's has helped me a couple times and Oregon Rifleworks is a'ight.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Android Apocalypse posted:

They often have stuff in stock & are one of the larger chains here in city, but their service is spotty at best & it definitely plays into some of the not-great gun store stereotypes.

If you're in the Portland area, I prefer shopping at Oregon Rifleworks, J&B Firearms, Big Iron Armory, and Curt's Discount Shooting Supplies. For gunsmiting work Allison & Cary's out in Gresham has done right by me so far, though Curt's has helped me a couple times and Oregon Rifleworks is a'ight.

It'd be an online purchase. I'm nowhere near any of their locations.
Their logo just looked a little sus to me and I figured someone in here might have first-hand knowledge.
I'm going to sleep on it because I'm trying to minimize impulse gun purchases.

Edit: Completely forgot to say thanks for the feedback.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If it's an online purchase I think you'll be okay. At least you'll avoid dealing with the employees directly.

I haven't shopped there in about 4+ years so no idea if they're better/worse than before (which was mediocre from my last recollection).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

If it's an online purchase I think you'll be okay. At least you'll avoid dealing with the employees directly.

I haven't shopped there in about 4+ years so no idea if they're better/worse than before (which was mediocre from my last recollection).

What do you think about Keith's and AFT? AFT is about a mile from my condo, so I went there to bullshit with the guys on occasion. Very old Fudd types, but nice and helpful. Some hidden milsurp in there, too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm not familiar with AFT. I went to Keith's a couple times and it's incredibly busy. Kinda hard to just browse if you don't have any concrete purchase goals. Ammo was overpriced.

If anything I liked checking out what they had when the Portland Gun Shows were running.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

pantslesswithwolves posted:

gently caress Garand Thumb and all but I want to point out that PitViper has posts on their IG account celebrating Trans Day of Visibility and Women’s Month. I can definitely see why chuds and Chud adjacent types buy their stuff given their marketing but I’m pretty sure they aren’t chuds themselves.

Disclosure: I bought a pair back in like 2017 when they were a one-person outfit and they had their mom hanging out with them at a mountain biking festival.

That's super cool. I love success stories like that. I've only ever seen their stuff being worn by the absolute chuddiest of chuds. Around here, it's the Jet Ski towed by a lifted f350 bellowing smoke with a Calvin pissing on "Libs" sticker next to a "Back the Blue" sticker types that wear them as they toss White Claw cans out the window.

And Cole the CornStar. That was an odd YouTube rabbit hole for a few days.

Looking through their marketing, it's about what I expected. Sex, drinking, parties, and naked skiing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

Does CMMG have any strikes against them? Thinking of buying myself a Banshee 300 as a birthday gift to myself.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I was chatting with some friends over FB messenger and somebody shared this screenshot of social media posts from Hoplite Armor:

Further investigation into their Instagram & they're antivaxxers to boot.

The Narrator from 'Fight Club' posted:

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Important thing to note: Hoplite armor is just rebranded LTC, so go to the source if you want ceramic plates from a less-lovely company. Trick is Hoplite sells their branded LTC plates at a decent discount compared to other retailers so it's tempting to save the considering how expensive they can be.

I'm "lucky" I got my Hoplite plates on the secondary market so at least those asshats didn't get my actual money…

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

That is extremely gross.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LTC as in live the creed medical supplies?

Disregard I checked the website.

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.

There are a couple compendium posts on reddit and I think arfcom (cant find it right now) about all the ways the hoplite guy sucks.

The antisemitism is the worst of it but he's also just a prick to both his competitors and customers, similar to John Willis over at OSOE, in addition to all his poo poo being overpriced. The reddit thread covers it but he also does the weasel not-really-NIJ-certified thing with his III+ plates that AR500 likes to pull

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

GunThots seem pretty cool.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

Just went to a gun shop that had a "If you smell like weed we will ask you to leave" sign. Is this an excuse some gun shops use to kick out minorities without appearing racist?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

It could be, although it could also just be a liability thing since weed still makes you a prohibited possessor in the eyes of the feds.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

human garbage bag posted:

Just went to a gun shop that had a "If you smell like weed we will ask you to leave" sign. Is this an excuse some gun shops use to kick out minorities without appearing racist?

I would personally be very uncomfortable in a gun shop that *didn't* ask someone who smelled like weed to leave. (Despite the fact that I'm in favor of both general legalization and removing legal barriers from gun ownership/purchase for marijuana users.)
Likewise, you shouldn't smell like alcohol in a gun shop.
Even if you scrap the regulatory aspect, smelling like any intoxicant is a big red flag for handling firearms, driving, or doing anything where attention to safety is important.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'd also wonder about the state, but I wouldn't think so. But who knows, I'd have to see the policy in action.

If it's a legal state, I'd say no. Folks here will be permanently baked and I get not wanting to sell a gun to a stoned guy.

But in a prohibition state, I've rarely seen people walk around reeking.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Is it? I couldn't say as I don't know the gun shop owner. Can it be used to do that? Most definitely!

Keep in mind that gun shop owners are Federal Firearm Licensees, and therefore are subject to the rules and regulations as promulgated by the ATF. The ATF is very strict about that weed question and therefore FFLs are empowered with broad discretion to deny sales to anyone that they believe are lying on Form 4473, which includes question 21.e. on being addicted to and/or a unlawful user (from a federal perspective) of a controlled substance (i.e. weed). See also Wilson v Lynch (2016), which was before the 9th circuit court of appeals, that held that a woman in Nevada who owned a medical weed card but claimed she never used the card to acquire weed was denied a firearm purchase because of her possession of said weed card. The ATF had sent out a letter earlier in the week informing FFLs that they could use medical weed cards as a reasonable belief that one was addicted to and/or an unlawful user of a controlled substance (and that while this burdened her 2A right, it was a reasonable fit under intermediate scrutiny to further the federal government's goals to "prevent gun violence"). The liability that was mentioned earlier is the FFL/gun shop owner getting prosecuted by a federal prosecutor if the feds have reason to believe that the FFL knowingly transferred firearms to prohibited persons.

As such a sign like that is not an immediate slam dunk for determining if said gun shop owner is racist. I certainly don't suggest thinking the worst of people, but I'm sure if they are a really big racist that you'll find other signs that when taken together may confirm your suspicions.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 1, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get into shit, let it out like diarrhea
Got burnt once, that was only gonorrhea

Honestly I'm inclined to generous and read that sign as almost explicitly saying "Hey, if you've got a medical card make sure you air out for a few hours so I don't have to deny the sale". If they wanted to be a shitlord they'd have a hoodie and/or mask ban.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

I have seen those signs before and generally thought it was pretty benign, it's the "NO PANTS SAGGING, NO WHITE TEE-SHIRTS" signs that make me avoid a place since those tend to be more "targeted" at a demographic.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Speaking earlier of youtube suggestions getting contaminated, holy gently caress this is a gigabotch from the algorithm if they think I want either of these two chucklefucks.

I wonder if it's because I watched that Kentucky Ballistics video of the Serbu blowing up.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking earlier of youtube suggestions getting contaminated, holy gently caress this is a gigabotch from the algorithm if they think I want either of these two chucklefucks.

I wonder if it's because I watched that Kentucky Ballistics video of the Serbu blowing up.

I watched some of Ian McCollum’s video about “why guns blow up”, not knowing the context of that Serbu thing and now my suggestions are all doughy men in Oakleys talking seriously at the camera

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I completely disabled YouTube view history. I know Google is still reading dumb tea leaves about me for internal metrics, but my recommendations are so much better. I just get stuff related to my subscriptions and whichever video is in the open tab.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Vindolanda posted:

I watched some of Ian McCollum’s video about “why guns blow up”, not knowing the context of that Serbu thing and now my suggestions are all doughy men in Oakleys talking seriously at the camera

Ughhh yeah I watched that one too, dammit

Platystemon posted:

I completely disabled YouTube view history. I know Google is still reading dumb tea leaves about me for internal metrics, but my recommendations are so much better. I just get stuff related to my subscriptions and whichever video is in the open tab.

I probably should, but sometimes it's been genuinely useful

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe

Grimey Drawer

Yeah but how else am I going to learn about common misconceptions about katanas.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Could be worse, you could have viewed The Wrong Bad Movie Review and ended up with endless MRA/Trump anti-vax screeds.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

IDK what I'm doing right but I've trained the algorithm to hardly ever show me horrible poo poo even though I watch tons of FW and InRangeTV.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My algorithm is OK, until I watch a bunch of stand up comedy. Apparently going on a Maria Bamford bender means I want to watch loving KINGS OF ALT RIGHT COMEDY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I watch nearly every video on Forgotten Weapons and InRange, but keep the recommendations adblocked. I unblocked it just to see what I had, and YouTube seems to think that I want all of my recommendations to be... Jelle's Marble Runs.

Maybe it works better than I thought sometimes, or maybe it's just down to the huge volume of YouTube watching I do lately.