Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Dip Viscous posted:

I watch nearly every video on Forgotten Weapons and InRange, but keep the recommendations adblocked. I unblocked it just to see what I had, and YouTube seems to think that I want all of my recommendations to be... Jelle's Marble Runs.

Maybe it works better than I thought sometimes, or maybe it's just down to the huge volume of YouTube watching I do lately.

How do you do that?

Also marble runs are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

On uBlock Origin in Chrome, a filter of "www.youtube.com###secondary" does the trick.

You still have the home page to contend with, but at least it's not on every video.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 3, 2021

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

My algorithm is alright, but sometimes I'll step on a video landmine that shits up my recommendations. However atleast it's super obvious to figure out what caused my recommendations to get shitted up when that happens, and easy enough to go into my history to delete the problematic entry. It's like maintaining a bonsai tree or something.

Magnetic North
Dec 14, 2008

Which way is magnetic north?

Platystemon posted:

I completely disabled YouTube view history. I know Google is still reading dumb tea leaves about me for internal metrics, but my recommendations are so much better. I just get stuff related to my subscriptions and whichever video is in the open tab.

I've been afraid to do this. On my work laptop (which is not signed in to any google account, but is accessed through my home internet), I use YouTube occasionally to look up about software development. On the home page, outside of all the 'Rona stuff and Tim Corey videos (blessed be his name), there is some common understandable viral hits for young men like "clips of women's athletics which I assume are a substitute for softcore" and "tone-deaf inspirational speeches from rich people" in the mix. Beyond that, I get tons and tons of right wing propaganda from the usually assortment of dirtbags.

I has assumed it was just the default that YouTube spits out, but now I wonder if perhaps all three categories are meant to serve the same purpose to its intended demo.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Platystemon posted:

I completely disabled YouTube view history. I know Google is still reading dumb tea leaves about me for internal metrics, but my recommendations are so much better. I just get stuff related to my subscriptions and whichever video is in the open tab.

It's worse when it goes cross platform. I've been watching the excellent Dorktown documentary on the Seattle Mariners and now my android phone is giving me Mariners score updates.

It can be helpful if after I watch something new I see a whole rash of terrible content I can pretty safely assume that new person isn't that great. Sadly I still get the occasional Ben Shapiro suggestion that I can't squash hard enough between chaining FW episodes or catching up on C&Rsenal during my work commute.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

An extremely normal logo for an extremely non-fascist gunshop.

https://www.straptarmory.com/

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/phoenix-gun-store-owner-says-nazi-eagle-logo-is-an-accident-11551569

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 7, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol it has the exact same number of loving feathers as the actual, printed by Nazis, Nazi eagles.

Also if the line across the top of the wings is perfectly flat and straight that's a nazi loving eagle. I mean, you'll find swastika clutching eagles that don't have that perfectly straight wing line, but that horizontal wing line is something you don't find in earlier or later German eagles.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 7, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So after literally 30 seconds of loving around on google I'm like 99.9% sure that he snipped the swastika off this PNG on pngitem.com (it's basically a free clipart website) that's labeled "Nazi Eagle Png"

https://www.pngitem.com/middle/obmTio_nazi-eagle-png-nazi-german-eagle-transparent-png/

It's one of the first searches when google image searching "nazi eagle."

edit: I mean, holy poo poo, look at the shape of the small details like the claws. He 100% used that exact source image.

"I HAD NO IDEA" he insists as he photoshops the swastika out and then blows it up to be a room loving sized golden mural in his business

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Truly a place that screams "no nazis here no sir."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

quote:

Asked about the resemblance on Tuesday, owner Charlie Bollenbaugh said he borrowed the eagle for his logo from the motorcycle shop of a friend in Phoenix

Also your motorcycle shop buddy either doesn't exist or he's a giant loving nazi too because I'm going to just assume that anyone in the motorcycle enthusiast community who's downloading "nazi eagle png" for their motorcycle shop knows exactly what the gently caress they're doing.

Magnetic North
Dec 14, 2008

I was curious so I typed in "spread eagle" and immediately marveled at my own stupidity

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also your logo sucks because those stylized "t"s look like lovely fraktur F's, so underneath the giant nazi eagle it looks like the name of your business is Sfrapf Armory.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Holy poo poo that's probably the most blatant one yet.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gyaddamn.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get into shit, let it out like diarrhea
Got burnt once, that was only gonorrhea

Kinda wanna slap Fravashi stickers on all my poo poo and see what the friendly/frosty stare ratio at the range becomes

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Good sleuthing. I was not willing to search that poo poo myself.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's loving vile.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Fifty Three posted:

Good sleuthing. I was not willing to search that poo poo myself.

If you need to sniff out poo poo you don't want associated with your search history, the Brave browser has an option to open a private Tor window which I have found super helpful when trying to sus out a few things semi-relevant for this thread.

Related, does anyone know of an online for-dummies resource for differentiating "I'm into medieval stuff" symbols from "I'm into not-so-thinly veiled white supremacist poo poo" symbols?

I saw a dude in public recently with a huge knight tattoo and immediately got a terrible vibe from the guy, but I live near a military base and there's a ton of vets around here so I try not to automatically assume the worst possible interpretation from aggressive imagery in tattoos, bumper stickers, etc.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mohawk Satan did a good writeup to determine if someone sleeps on their sheets on wears them earlier in the thread...I'll take a quick look for it.

e. Link's at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692&userid=144544#post497547466. He got perma'd at some point so no follow-up questions allowed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also your motorcycle shop buddy either doesn't exist or he's a giant loving nazi too because I'm going to just assume that anyone in the motorcycle enthusiast community who's downloading "nazi eagle png" for their motorcycle shop knows exactly what the gently caress they're doing.

The claws aren't even grabbing the logo, they still follow the curve around the swastika. This is stunningly low effort.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Dip Viscous posted:

Holy poo poo that's probably the most blatant one yet.

Solid contender for the title.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bikers use Nazi imagery to piss off the squares, and because they are racist.

Cyclepedia, Des Moines :

Only registered members can see post attachments!

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Bikers use Nazi imagery to piss off the squares, and because they are racist.

Cyclepedia, Des Moines :

Bikers are edgy teenagers that buckled down and never grew up

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Anyway this is how Germany is doing VE Day.

https://twitter.com/MichaelNeiberg/status/1391110563271426048?s=20

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

How about that. That’s a hell of a thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Well that's complicated.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well that's complicated.

Should say “sorry” really.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Frank Dillinger posted:

I mean, thank you allows them to keep some dignity while still showing appreciation to the countries that liberated Europe from the people that preceded them.

You could argue that it’s absolving them of blame maybe, but Germany has had a decent recent history of shutting Nazis down afaik.

I feel like I’m looking too deeply into something that was done as a symbol of respect.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

tehinternet posted:

I feel like I’m looking too deeply into something that was done as a symbol of respect.
Nonsense teh internet, this is the internet!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Considering the USA's practice of putting up statues to literal traitors and folks who commit genocides, I think "Thank you" is a meaningful gesture on Germany's part.

Magnetic North
Dec 14, 2008

Compare this to the way that some countries (like Turkey) react when people discuss the bad actions of their predecessor state (aka the Ottoman Empire and The Armenian Genocide).

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

To be fair it’s not like the government stopped trying to kill any and all Armenians when they transitioned from being the Ottoman Empire to Turkey

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

To be fair it’s not like the government stopped trying to kill any and all Armenians when they transitioned from being the Ottoman Empire to Turkey

Actually, they kinda did. The Young Turks actually despised the way the Armenians and a bunch of other minorities were being treated - and things briefly improved for minorities after the coup overthrew the Ottoman Empire. It was the counter-coup shortly after that made things worse and eventually led to yet another genocide attempt.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Frank Dillinger posted:

They'd have to represent a lot more languages in that case.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Warbadger posted:

Actually, they kinda did. The Young Turks actually despised the way the Armenians and a bunch of other minorities were being treated - and things briefly improved for minorities after the coup overthrew the Ottoman Empire. It was the counter-coup shortly after that made things worse and eventually led to yet another genocide attempt.

I think you might want to do some refresher reading on this.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

I think you might want to do some refresher reading on this.

No, really, the restoration of the constitution by the Young Turks was (along with overthrowing the Ottoman dictator who'd just massacred Armenians) actually considered a good thing by many Armenians and things did improve for about a year. After the counter-coup failed you saw yet another series of localized massacres where armed groups attacked various minorities or basically any group they considered outsiders, including the Armenians, but that wasn't a thing organized by the Young Turks so much as they refused to do anything about it. The later and very intentional genocide of Armenians by the Young Turks themselves was mostly motivated by the events of the next decade as losing the Balkan Wars and pretty much everything about WWI ramped up xenophobia and nationalist paranoia.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 9, 2021

Frankie
Feb 22, 2006

Warbadger posted:

So it was a "coup coup"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Warbadger posted:

No, really, the restoration of the constitution by the Young Turks was (along with overthrowing the Ottoman dictator who'd just massacred Armenians) actually considered a good thing by many Armenians and things did improve for about a year. After the counter-coup failed you saw yet another series of localized massacres where armed groups attacked various minorities or basically any group they considered outsiders, including the Armenians, but that wasn't a thing organized by the Young Turks so much as they refused to do anything about it. The later and very intentional genocide of Armenians by the Young Turks themselves was mostly motivated by the events of the next decade as losing the Balkan Wars and pretty much everything about WWI ramped up xenophobia and nationalist paranoia.

I was talking about the part where you conflated two events that took place fifteen years apart with a literal world war between them.