Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

I was talking about the part where you conflated two events that took place fifteen years apart with a literal world war between them.

Hence "Kinda". And the Young Turk's coup in 1908, the official dissolution of the Ottoman Empire in 1922, and (what I assume you're referring to) recognition of Turkey in 1923 are pretty inextricably linked. I mean I pretty clearly indicated which specific events I was talking about so I don't see how I was conflating anything anyways.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

U.S. bankruptcy judge rejects NRA bid to reorganize in Texas

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Even if its not the real end: RIP in piss

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

Kinda goes without saying, but IMI and IWI should probably be on "The List."

I was debating picking up more 77gr Razor Cores but now, NOPE.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 13, 2021

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

lmao

This is so perfectly timed considering their latest ad campaign is trying to make their move to Texas as some 'we're dumping PUSSY NEW YORK and going to a REAL AMERICAN STATE'

even had a clip from Ted Cruz

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

Frankie posted:

So it was a "coup coup"?

yes?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kinda goes without saying, but IMI and IWI should probably be on "The List."

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I almost pulled the trigger on one of those a few months ago (since I wanted a semi-auto shotgun and it'd be my first bullpup), but I opted against it and got a Beretta instead.
Thankfully, Italian manufacturers have no unsavory history with fasci-...oh, right.

(The 1301 Comp Pro was totally the right choice and now I've just got to figure out which extension tube length I want for it. )

Edit: Staring at those two for a moment, trying to figure out if they were identical patterns or not, now has me wanting a gun with a Jazz design hydrodipped on it.

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 17, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

This thread seems to be a good place to ask this.

Does anyone have a good resource explaining how racists co-opted the OK symbol? I had some co-workers get PISSED tonight when I tried to explain to them that racists on the Internet had decided to use an innocuous symbol to signal to each other because it had plausible deniability and makes anyone trying to explain the story sound like a conspiracy nut.

Apparently my co-workers think that minorities and Democrats just arbitrarily decided to start calling people using the OK symbol racists just because they could.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

PeterCat posted:

This thread seems to be a good place to ask this.

Does anyone have a good resource explaining how racists co-opted the OK symbol? I had some co-workers get PISSED tonight when I tried to explain to them that racists on the Internet had decided to use an innocuous symbol to signal to each other because it had plausible deniability and makes anyone trying to explain the story sound like a conspiracy nut.

Apparently my co-workers think that minorities and Democrats just arbitrarily decided to start calling people using the OK symbol racists just because they could.

It's a hoax from 4chan that idiots took seriously.
https://www.adl.org/blog/how-the-ok-symbol-became-a-popular-trolling-gesture

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Are you trying to argue that the NZ mass shooter and however many umpteen known white nationalists aren't using this symbol in this capacity or are you arguing that folks like the ADL taking 4chan seriously lead to these folks adopting it?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, it being a racist gesture was a fake story spread by 4chan than was eventually adopted by actual racists as a way to signal each other and be deniable since it was originally started as a joke?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Gin and Juche posted:

Are you trying to argue that the NZ mass shooter and however many umpteen known white nationalists aren't using this symbol in this capacity or are you arguing that folks like the ADL taking 4chan seriously lead to these folks adopting it?

A cascading chain of idiots taking a 4chan meme (and people's reactions to it) seriously has lead us to where we are today.

...now that I've written that out and re-read it, the sheer number of things that statement could apply to is terrifying.

Edit:

PeterCat posted:

So, it being a racist gesture was a fake story spread by 4chan than was eventually adopted by actual racists as a way to signal each other and be deniable since it was originally started as a joke?

That's my understanding.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

poeticoddity posted:

A cascading chain of idiots taking a 4chan meme (and people's reactions to it) seriously has lead us to where we are today.

...now that I've written that out and re-read it, the sheer number of things that statement could apply to is terrifying.

Edit:

That's my understanding.

The Internet was a mistake.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Always has been.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

poeticoddity posted:

That's my understanding.
That is also my understanding, and

PeterCat posted:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Crescent Fresh

PeterCat posted:

I think there's a different interpretation. I don't think the supremacists were smart enough to plan it out like that. I think they were so stupid they believed the lie just as much as the people the lie was meant to mock and dupe.

Edit: There may be some "smart" ones but I think they're the exception, not the rule.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The whole point was to start using something intentionally dumb as a white power dog whistle so that when they got called out on it they could pretend it was just the OK sign or the circle game. The entire goal was to bog people down in the “it’s just a dumb 4chan joke” nonsense while fascists used it to identify each other on national television.

It doesn’t matter if white supremacists were using it as an ironically signal or not, they were still using it as a white power dog whistle.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

The whole point was to start using something intentionally dumb as a white power dog whistle so that when they got called out on it they could pretend it was just the OK sign or the circle game. The entire goal was to bog people down in the “it’s just a dumb 4chan joke” nonsense while fascists used it to identify each other on national television.

It doesn’t matter if white supremacists were using it as an ironically signal or not, they were still using it as a white power dog whistle.

It’s this. Even those who were late to the game realized it was “fun” to be able to ID as a white supremacist while keeping their job and also mocking anyone who tried to call them out.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

This video has been posted repeatedly and has the answer as to how the ok sign became A Thing among the fash, as well as other means of infiltration/radicalization.

It's still relevant, especially on SA regardless of changes in mod/admins, as it was the first time it was posted in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55t6eryY3g

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

PeterCat posted:

I tried to explain this to some friends of mine and they basically felt that if it was a 4chan thing it's not "real" and hence dumb and can be ignored, or that we "mustn't ever give ground and cede the gesture to them!" Others just think it's too underground to be serious which is...the point of secret symbols.

It's more than a little discouraging because I feel like the only person I know who cares among people who know it's going on and it makes me wonder if I'm being too paranoid/online.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Blindeye posted:

I tried to explain this to some friends of mine and they basically felt that if it was a 4chan thing it's not "real" and hence dumb and can be ignored, or that we "mustn't ever give ground and cede the gesture to them!" Others just think it's too underground to be serious which is...the point of secret symbols.

It's more than a little discouraging because I feel like the only person I know who cares among people who know it's going on and it makes me wonder if I'm being too paranoid/online.

You're not paranoid at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Blindeye posted:

That's exactly what they want, plausible deniability and "it's just a joke" when they dog whistle to other fash through national and social media.

For one thing, it's a signal to those who already agree with them that they're able to signal in the open, and that no one is stopping them.

And it's a signal to everyone else that they can do this poo poo in the open, and that you'll be called paranoid if you point it out, because "it's just a joke", while they plot to harass and attack minorities and plan a literal loving insurrection, which is then just brushed off as a "protest".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 17, 2021

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Well yes, I know that. It is convincing anyone else (even with that video) that is the hard part.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I know what's up and have run into the exact same thing. Even to left minded, but less terminally online friends it just sounds like tinfoil hat poo poo.

A lot of this comes down to how plugged in a person is, because trying to make even vague sense of the current landscape is a full loving time job.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It might help to compare it to how "literally" came to mean "figuratively" through misuse.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Add another to the list of "hell loving no", since I haven't seen them mentioned: Fireforce Ventures.

Sketch level: Extreme

Their entire schtick is Rhodesia LARP/worship, this should be a no-brainer.

I stumbled across a mention of them in a Varusteleka FB thread for some new Särmä pants in tiger stripe camo, and some guy asked whether they were gonna do Rhodesian brushstroke at some point, to which some other guy replied that he should seek out Fireforce Ventures.

It's not exactly subtle.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 17, 2021

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I know what's up and have run into the exact same thing. Even to left minded, but less terminally online friends it just sounds like tinfoil hat poo poo.

A lot of this comes down to how plugged in a person is, because trying to make even vague sense of the current landscape is a full loving time job.

Part of the problem lies with moderation of communities allowing things to propagate because they're convinced to give the benefit of the doubt of "it's just a joke", and are thus too afraid to moderate based on documented fascist methodology. The previously linked video goes over some of that.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KozmoNaut posted:

That's exactly what they want, plausible deniability and "it's just a joke" when they dog whistle to other fash through national and social media.

For one thing, it's a signal to those who already agree with them that they're able to signal in the open, and that no one is stopping them.

And it's a signal to everyone else that they can do this poo poo in the open, and that you'll be called paranoid if you point it out, because "it's just a joke", while they plot to harass and attack minorities and plan a literal loving insurrection, which is then just brushed off as a "protest".

Didn't their favorite German political group of the 20s-40s do something similar early on? I know that's a part of why the KKK uses the titles that they do.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Taerkar posted:

Didn't their favorite German political group of the 20s-40s do something similar early on? I know that's a part of why the KKK uses the titles that they do.

The nazis were youtube pranksters?

BEER HALL PRANKTSCH (GONE SEXUAL WRONG)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get into shit, let it out like diarrhea
Got burnt once, that was only gonorrhea

Well, they were the subject of the first YouTube Poop known to archivists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYdmk3GP3iM

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007

The "Ok" hand signal thing feels like it's following a similar evolution to the Pepe Frog: a joke (defended with "irony") that rapidly becomes not a joke.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Pendevil posted:

The "Ok" hand signal thing feels like it's following a similar evolution to the Pepe Frog: a joke (defended with "irony") that rapidly becomes not a joke.

I also think it's also how it's held. Like I have time to idly given the Ok sign to coworkers from across the ship but I would never tuck it up to my chest with fingers spread as wide as possible so it forms a "w" and the circile and my arm form the "p". Same with my coworkers doing the circle game. That's usually straight down forming just one giant "p". Safer to just not use it at all but nobody's perfect.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Crab Dad posted:

Same with my coworkers doing the circle game. That's usually straight down forming just one giant "p". Safer to just not use it at all but nobody's perfect.

I honestly think this was part of why 4chan originally chose that as the symbol. All kinds of cases of people showing it to someone surreptitiously et al and makes everything look weird.

But there's for sure actual uninronic adoption by racists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGootZCULs#t=93s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XBnbuvsNkA

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Crab Dad posted:

I also think it's also how it's held. Like I have time to idly given the Ok sign to coworkers from across the ship but I would never tuck it up to my chest with fingers spread as wide as possible so it forms a "w" and the circile and my arm form the "p". Same with my coworkers doing the circle game. That's usually straight down forming just one giant "p". Safer to just not use it at all but nobody's perfect.

Prior to 4chan re-popularizing it, outside of very specific signalling circumstances I hadn't seen anyone flash an 'ok' sign in, a decade or so. Thumbs up stuck around for the times when you were out of verbal range and worked fine.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

kupachek posted:

Prior to 4chan re-popularizing it, outside of very specific signalling circumstances I hadn't seen anyone flash an 'ok' sign in, a decade or so. Thumbs up stuck around for the times when you were out of verbal range and worked fine.

It's common in scuba diving and that's about it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

kupachek posted:

Thumbs up can look like you flipping someone off at a distance. Which is the other signal we use to communicate sometimes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It's also quite rude to underwater denizens

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Someone was giving out individually packaged "freedom bullets" at a pro-covid rally in Canada. I'm presuming (hoping?) they are dummy or demilled rounds because handing out live ammo to people without the permits to own them is a felony.

I can't tell what company or individual owns it since the url is covered, but if you come across that branding they're someone worth avoiding as well.

e. Gotta say though, the historical implication of giving someone a single pistol-caliber bullet is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Someone was giving out individually packaged "freedom bullets" at a pro-covid rally in Canada. I'm presuming (hoping?) they are dummy or demilled rounds because handing out live ammo to people without the permits to own them is a felony.

I can't tell what company or individual owns it since the url is covered, but if you come across that branding they're someone worth avoiding as well.

e. Gotta say though, the historical implication of giving someone a single pistol-caliber bullet is nice.

Someone claims the provider is https://www.younggunscanada.ca/, and the person behind that one runs this one which is https://sammiehypnotized.com/ The "Freedom Bullets" on offer are in fact deactivated rounds.