Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«80 »
Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Interesting takes in here, especially the notion that there will be people writing and reading books in 100 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Interesting takes in here, especially the notion that there will be people writing and reading books in 100 years.

They will be written in emojis and I'll be glad to be dead.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Don’t forget that ICE has detained US citizens who were carrying their birth certificate for failing the paper bag test and denied them lawyers, even stonewalling their lawyers when they try to reach their clients. That’s literal black site kidnapping, not detention pending charges and trial. Huge constitutional violations. And cases of illegal search and seizure without a signed warrant, then threatening to shoot a bystander who asks about the warrant.

Now I haven’t seen any ICE lowers yet, but it’s the Venn diagram vs circle with outliers on the people who would buy that lower and who deepthroat the ICE boot.

Related, I took a free CHL class a week ago that was weird. Do you remember the Hispanic “white appreciation day” restaurant owner from a couple years ago? That was him. I found that out after the fact. And in the class he called out the bloodthirsty gun culture crap and the racism in a lot of gun culture and has a cross-stitch saying STFU that he points to when he gets to what to do if you’re pulled over while carrying. Gave Philando Castile as an example of what happens when minorities tell cops they’re carrying, and when someone said they had been pulled over with guns visible and had no trouble he said “but you’re white.”

I seriously don’t get how the person who does that also has a white appreciation day. I wonder if it was meant as a stunt to make a point against things like minority scholarships from a hardline boostrappy perspective. Which would still be bad, but at least not sincere Uncle Ruckus stuff. At the same time he has a women-only class that someone else teaches, so he gets the need for a comfortable environment for people that might not feel welcomed in the culture as a whole. I really can’t figure that out.

He also said that regardless of castle doctrine your belongings aren’t worth killing someone over, which struck a chord since I was robbed earlier that week. And said that getting treatment to help manage any past traumas is essential if you’re going to carry because that will impact how you react to a bad situation, possibly overreacting, possibly reacting too late because you’re used to situations bad enough that you don’t see the warning signs. Good to see a class acknowledge mental health as something essential to manage if you’re going to carry a gun without stigmatizing trauma or mental illness or making “triggered” jokes.

Overall, would cautiously recommend the free CHL class at Guns for Everyone in Denver. I probably wouldn’t have gone if I knew who the guy was at first, but overall he seems like a positive influence on gun culture. If gun culture wasn’t so lovely in general, maybe not, but as things are I would say his viewpoints are above average. And despite being a hardcore libertarian he’s doing these classes on a donation basis every week and gives a discount at his shop if you bring in a recent receipt from a local gun shop to encourage people to buy local.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

That Works posted:

I would argue that it still would be far more effective to continue prosecution and make better legislation to target companies that knowingly hire illegal immigrants instead of trying to enforce a border wall or similar policy. You have a much more unique view into this so I am genuinely curious if you think that would be a bad idea or not.

I can see that as a path forward; just looking at human trafficking and prostitution, hitting the consumers of an illicit service seems to have a greater effect than hitting the suppliers. But I'm just one dude without much of a big picture view.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Captain Log posted:

They will be written in emojis and I'll be glad to be dead.

*spongebob but with a pharaoh hat*

lOoK uPoN mY wOrKs AnD dEspAir

Can't wait for future squid archaeologists to decide that memes had significant religious purpose.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

College Slice

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Partial disagree. My reason is two-fold:

I'm German-Irish and whiter than a duck's rear end in a top hat. If I put up, say, an Irish flag, in front of my house- people would think nothing of that. If I listened to Irish folk music, wore Irish this and Irish that ( discounting Celtic crosses which have been co-opted by white supremacist movements ), people would think nothing of it.

Now flip it. Let's say I'd fail the paper bag test, but I'm here, and I'm legal. And I put up a Mexican flag, and I listened to ranchera music, and I wore my family's home country on my sleeve- how many people you think would give me some side-eye?

It's an unfair standard, and it isn't applied to white immigrants. It is always, always applied to The Other. It's applied to Arabs, Latinos, Indians, Africans. People who look, Other, people who sound, Other. It happened to the Germans and the Irish way back when, and people were way afraid of Catholics for a long-rear end time. Now it's a new Other.

The second reason is because of something I read in The New Jim Crow. It spent a brief chapter exploring the complexities of 'gangster' culture, and made a very persuasive argument that marginalized groups pushed to the fringes of a society will often wrap themselves in layers of what's being projected at them. You tell someone they're dirt, they're a criminal, they're garbage- you tell'em that for years. You raise them in a garden of ashes and give sprout to fury.

The onus shouldn't be on the immigrant to adjust to the country; the country should ( especially with its greater resources ) make available the means for newcomers to adjust, and make them welcome. It isn't even like such programs would cost us very much, and they'd pay dividends in a more integrated, communicative society.

Big nah on this MIke Rowe stuff. It isn't ingratitude or pride that makes people thumb their noses at this labor- maybe for some middle class families, sure. But there are an awful lot of Americans doing awful, lovely, back-breaking jobs for a wage that can't even put a roof over their head with a forty-hour week.

A lot of agriculture jobs pay below minimum wage. Comically below minimum wage. Ditto service industry jobs, like waiters, bartenders. The bum that doesn't take a job suck-starting sewage pumps for a dollar an hour isn't lazy. The person who'd rather skate on unemployment and look a little longer than take a factory job with mandatory twelve-hour shifts and six-day weeks isn't lazy. The fact that the American worker is vilified for not wanting to break their backs for something less than a subsistence-wage says an awful lot about how we've been manipulated to view labor over the past forty years.

People aren't just critical of America. They're also critical of Australia's barbaric treatment of refugees. They're pissed at Turkey, and the EU, and a whole lot of places we just don't hear much about because they're so far away and, when the novelty of new outrage wanes, human suffering at a distance is background noise.

And it isn't just controlling immigration, but the means by which it is done.

It isn't just that people are being detained, but the frankly inhumane conditions in which they are being held.

It is the fact we've seen repeated evidence of racism on behalf of the people charged with enforcing these laws, that the system itself railroads them ( immigration courts are a horror show ), and just... everything. It's all terrible. It's barbaric, top to bottom. As it stands, the whole system is a fasces gripped in the fist of an autocratic system and being used as a bludgeon to crush those most in need humanity.

And most of the migrants from our southern border are a product of our own policies, our own constant meddling in South America, our drug war. It's the equivalent to setting fire to your neighbor's house and shooting them for trespassing when they flee into your yard.

That's the point, tho. The companies ( chicken houses are notorious for it ) knowingly operate with migrant labor and almost always get away with a slap on the wrist. These aren't small companies making a mistake on paperwork. If, truly, the goal was to stop this labor from affecting the American market, the Republicans have the power ( today ) to start taking measures to financially penalize the people responsible with fines that would actually hurt. They could pursue policies that would pressure companies into making drat sure they did not take advantage of undocumented workers.

But they aren't, for some reason. And the focus is never on the employer in discussions about illegal labor. It's always on the alien. The other.

For some reason...

Check out the 2008 raid on the kosher meatpacking plant in Postville, Iowa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postville_raid

Wiki posted:

"On that day, ICE deployed 900 agents and arrested 398 employees, 98% of whom were Latino. According to reports at the time, "agents used presumed race/ethnicity to identify suspected undocumented immigrants, allegedly handcuffing all employees assumed to be Latino until their immigration status was verified"[1]. Men were detained at the National Cattle Congress in Waterloo, Iowa, women were detained in county jails, and detainees were chained together and arraigned in groups of 10 for felony charges of aggravated identity theft, document fraud, use of stolen Social Security numbers, and related offenses. Some 300 were convicted on the document fraud charges within four days as part of a plea bargain. 297 of them served a five-month prison sentence before being deported. The Supreme Court later ruled that undocumented workers cannot be charged with aggravated identity theft unless it was established that they knew that they had used an authentic Social Security number, prompting calls by some immigration attorneys and members of Congress to dismiss previous convictions against immigrants for aggravated identity theft and consider dismissing the guilty pleas sought against the Postville workers.[2]"

And what happened to the plant owner? His sentence was commuted by President Trump in 2017.

Wiki posted:

On December 20, 2017, Sholom Rubashkin's sentence was commuted by President Donald Trump. Rubashkin had served 8 years of his 27 year sentence.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

*spongebob but with a pharaoh hat*

lOoK uPoN mY wOrKs AnD dEspAir

Can't wait for future squid archaeologists to decide that memes had significant religious purpose.

They're all going to think we worshipped the weird rectangles we always held in our hand.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Captain Log posted:

They're all going to think we worshipped the weird rectangles we always held in our hand.

Dollars?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

(Cell phones. We always hold them up toward people in important moments, too.)

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Obviously.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm not really the type of person to jump down someone's throat or whatever, go ahead and disagree with me. I'm not going to say people don't look down on manual labor or trades or anything at all; they do. But in the context of illegal labor we're usually talking about terrible jobs in awful conditions, not, say, apprentice electricians.

I've worked poo poo jobs all my life. I come from a family with a lot of blue collar workers in it.

I think half my posts in the retail thread have been "so I stepped in human poo poo today"

There are illegal workers in trades. Just because you're picking one aspect doesn't mean it applies to the majority of illegal workers. There are lots of opportunities out there for people willing to learn a skill and show up. Painting it is an entire group of people stuck in horrible conditions isn't fair or true. You're being disrespectful to the workers that do well for themselves based off their work and merit. Whether they be illegal or otherwise.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but from what I've seen of construction trade work, it pays well compared to some stuff, but not well enough to afford the damage it does to your body by the time you're nearing retirement age. That's why I work a desk job rather than having gone the union electrician route. Carpal tunnel can be avoided, and if I wasn't such a depressed lazy gently caress I could exercise enough to make up for the amount of exercise I don't do at work.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

There are illegal workers in trades. Just because you're picking one aspect doesn't mean it applies to the majority of illegal workers. There are lots of opportunities out there for people willing to learn a skill and show up. Painting it is an entire group of people stuck in horrible conditions isn't fair or true. You're being disrespectful to the workers that do well for themselves based off their work and merit. Whether they be illegal or otherwise.

Hum. Fair enough. If you'd like to expand upon it; shoot your shot. I can only speak from the perspective that I have and the information I've absorbed.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm sure there are exceptions, but from what I've seen of construction trade work, it pays well compared to some stuff, but not well enough to afford the damage it does to your body by the time you're nearing retirement age. That's why I work a desk job rather than having gone the union electrician route. Carpal tunnel can be avoided, and if I wasn't such a depressed lazy gently caress I could exercise enough to make up for the amount of exercise I don't do at work.

My wrists are in the process of exploding from a life of computers and work that involves lots of hand action every day.

Way off topic, I know- but my dude, exercise. I skip from thing to thing, stair steppers to push ups to yoga. If I do one thing too long, I get bored of it and stop. But it's about keeping on keeping on. There's conflict about whether or not exercise actually helps with depression, but you know what really helps?

Feeling a little bit stronger. Fitter. Better about your self. Internalizing the idea that you can do better. Don't set yourself some bullshit goal that you can't achieve, but pick something small like 'forty push-ups a day', and go for it. Focusing on things you can't do, and marinating in the negativity of 'I'm a fat gently caress who can't even do *this*, I'm lazy, I'm poo poo', that doesn't help you.

Achieve a minor goal, celebrate the smallest victory. Feel better about yourself. Take it from another depressed fat guy.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

So, in an attempt to re-rail the thread, are there any gun companies that are at least openly center if not left to support?

I'm assuming anyone selling something not incredibly niche would have to be rightwards or silent in their politics since so many gun owners are apoplectic about anything leftward of Reagan, which in our current environment means supporting a lot of implicitly or explicitly terrible crap that has led to this thread.

Can I buy target rimfire ammo from some employee owned European company that uses 100% renewable energy? Arsenal gun lube made by some old hippie in New Hampshire who drives to gun shows in a forty-year-old Volvo with a Mondale Ferraro sticker on the bumper?

Edit to clarify a bit.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 27, 2019

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

some old hippie in New Hampshire who drives to gun shows in a forty-year-old Volvo with a Mondale Ferraro sticker on the bumper?

Getting uncomfortably close to doxxing.

Serious reply I have never heard of a leftward leaning firearms or accessories company ever but I hadn't really tried to find one specifically either. Searching around for a while doesn't turn up much either. I doubt one in the USA at least exists at all. I can't imagine there's enough market to support it. S&W, Ruger and the other massive gun companies at least don't wade into political rhetoric much (to my knowledge) so at least there's that.

Comedy option CZ I guess too.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011

Yams Fan

Comedy option: Norinco

Two Ton 21
Dec 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I love my unicorn lower.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Which unicorn lower? I wish the PSA one didn't have the stupid snowflake libturds poo poo on it cos unicorns are my fuckin jam.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I agree that the potential is there, which is why I want this to be pretty much just serious posting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

By the way, I know this thread went on a bit of a derail and I kept my distance on purpose to see how it would play out.

This thread doesn't need to to be the place for discussing broad political philosophy all day every day, but pretty much everything between this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/n...2#post497033149

and this post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/n...2#post497033149

are great examples of level headed, respectful, discussion of a heated issue. Due to the nature of this thread we aren't going to be able to avoid discussions like this on occasion. When someone says "this company is bad because they support this thing" and someone else asks "why is that thing bad?" we're going to get into the weeds on that issue a bit. As long as we can have that discussion in a way that doesn't descend into poo poo flinging, that's fine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh, and if someone ends up catching a sixer because of a joke or something, that's kind of how this thread is going to roll. It's kind of a "no fun allowed" zone because otherwise you have people making what they think are witty light hearted jokes and other people reading it in deadly ernest because they're in full blown internet politics mode. If you want to make jokes or bullshit go to almost every other thread in this forum.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

On top of spike's tactical going whole hog on antifa-killing fantasies, bigotry, etc, their generic spider logo is bad. Not like a morally repugnant spider as far as I know, I just think it's a really ugly graphical design.

They also sell a pro-torture t-shirt.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011

Yams Fan

Totally agreed on the assessment that there are going to be numerous "'this company is bad because they support this thing' and someone else asks 'why is that thing bad?'" derails.

Maybe just limit it to legitimate evidence that you, as a poster, feel is problematic and let people make their own judgement on whether or not they want to support company X with their hard earned dollars.

For instance, this could use a source / link:

mlmp08 posted:

They also sell a pro-torture t-shirt.

Judging by the other crap they are shilling, I had no reason to doubt it, but for the sake of completeness, I assume it's this one:
https://spikestactical.com/collecti...ing-instructor/

A lot of these companies are not going be huge surprises because being "edgy" selling waterboarding t-shirts is part of their "Brand DNA"

Flip side of this is maybe you love militant moonies and were married in a moonie wedding, but I might think twice about buying something from Kahr, personally.

CleverHans fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 28, 2019

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Miso Beno posted:

Which unicorn lower? I wish the PSA one didn't have the stupid snowflake libturds poo poo on it cos unicorns are my fuckin jam.

You're thinking of a Spike's lower, not PSA.

It disappoints me because it's just such a lazy cheap shot. If they'd gone the "offending everyone equally" route and made something lefty-oriented it would've been much better. Their "Crusader" lower goes "PAX PACES // BELLUM // DEUS VOLT", so why not have that third option be "ANTIFA" or "VIVA LA REVOLUCION" or even "RESPECT MY PRONOUNS"?

We can probably guess.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yond Cassius posted:

It disappoints me because it's just such a lazy cheap shot. If they'd gone the "offending everyone equally" route and made something lefty-oriented it would've been much better. Their "Crusader" lower goes "PAX PACES // BELLUM // DEUS VOLT", so why not have that third option be "ANTIFA" or "VIVA LA REVOLUCION" or even "RESPECT MY PRONOUNS"?

We can probably guess.

Their position on that is clear from how they describe their shirts etc for sale:

quote:

Our t-shirts are intentionally designed to anger and confuse liberals. We fully embrace our belief that America is awesome and is worth fighting for. Make your selection and let the liberals know how you really feel.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

That Works posted:

Their position on that is clear from how they describe their shirts etc for sale:

quote:

Our t-shirts are intentionally designed to anger and confuse liberals. We fully embrace our belief that America is awesome and is worth fighting for.* Make your selection and let the liberals know how you really feel.

Unspoken, but you knew this:
* Offer only good for certain SWASP values of "America".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

We can probably guess.

Miso Beno posted:

By the way, I feel real dumb right now. This probate was a fuckup on my part. I remembered the lower but forgot that they actually said "libturd" on it and totally misread what Miso was saying. I thought he was making a snarky comment about wanting a lower form them and not wanting liberal poo poo on it or whatever. Like, I thought HE was saying "stupid snowflake libturds" to be edgy and not quoting the goddamned lower.

My bad, bad shoot.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I should get another lower with Marx's face on the magwell and the fire group being Safe/Under No Pretext/Frustrated By Force

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I wish spikes wasn't so lovely because I'm simple minded enough to love their honey badger lower.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Capn Beeb posted:

I should get another lower with Marx's face on the magwell and the fire group being Safe/Under No Pretext/Frustrated By Force

But wouldn’t he have an AK

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

But wouldn’t he have an AK

I think he'd be all about that whole push to acknowledge the AR as a rifle favored by the commoner

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

I would love to see one of them sculpted lowers done as bust of Lenin or Marx.

stealie72 posted:

I wish spikes wasn't so lovely because I'm simple minded enough to love their honey badger lower.

I wish more "stealth" lowered were on the market that left plenty of room for custom engravings. I'm still salty about my PSA stealth lowers and their oversize font and lovely placement.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

I think he'd be all about that whole push to acknowledge the AR as a rifle favored by the commoner

He'd use a revolver because he's in favor of revolutionary action.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

the poo poo in this thread is why really the only other gun people i actually associate with are other leftists/anarchists. john brown gun clubs/socialist rifle association/pink pistols/etc. at least in the circles im part of, it seems like the notion that leftists/minorities need to start arming ourselves is becoming more and more accepted

Kanine fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 29, 2019

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Fun Shoe

Kanine posted:

the poo poo in this thread is why really the only other gun people i actually associate with are other leftists/anarchists. john brown gun clubs/socialist rifle association/pink pistols/etc. at least in the circles im part of, it seems like the notion that leftists/minorities need to start arming ourselves is becoming more and more accepted

That seems understandable. I truly appreciate tfr for being a non "gun nut" kind of place.

Spike's tactical stuff is pretty gross. I used to live in Florida and you'd see a lot of that kind of stuff. It makes sense to me though, at least from the few people I met from Apopka. They use it to intimidate and honestly I think it works. There are some hosed up folks down there. Florida is weird in so many ways.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The Spikes stuff is great for getting in their owners heads at 3-gun matches though. The few times I've seen them here locally, when I'm ROing and the owner is about to get up to shoot, I say, "Oh hey, Spikes, you know that spider logo actually looks like two dicks over a toilet seat, right?" They tend to be pretty demoralized as a result. It's great.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

The Rat posted:

The Spikes stuff is great for getting in their owners heads at 3-gun matches though. The few times I've seen them here locally, when I'm ROing and the owner is about to get up to shoot, I say, "Oh hey, Spikes, you know that spider logo actually looks like two dicks over a toilet seat, right?" They tend to be pretty demoralized as a result. It's great.

Gross fash adjacent bullshit aside, the Spikes logo always struck me as utterly hideous.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Problematic Soup posted:

Gross fash adjacent bullshit aside, the Spikes logo always struck me as utterly hideous.

Welp, color my mind blown. I’ll never see it as a stupid attempt at a spider again.

Honestly don’t know how I missed that until now

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

You haven't seen the famous gif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Problematic Soup posted:

Yep it was always hideous and looked like a tramp stamp. The 2 dicks was icing on the cake.

«80 »