Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Doc_Awesome posted:

I think a good rule for this thread (and any other heated topic threads) would be that as soon as the thread gets out of hand with multiple people breaking rules, everyone who posted in it gets a 6 month ban at a minimum regardless of their involvement in the thread.

That sounds like a good way for 1-2 bad faith shitheads to get a bunch of people they don't like banned for 6 months.

efb by Cyrano

To actually contribute to the thread about a year ago it came out that the biggest local gun shop had a guy on staff that was a big time neonazi:
https://journalstar.com/news/state-...34f818b8df.html

I only bought stuff there twice before I knew that but I'm sure as gently caress never shopping there again since they doubled down on him. Had they fired him instantly and disavowed him I might have believed them but nope they're definitely just white supremacists. I actually saw him going into my local liquor store as I was leaving the other day...

Plenty of other gun stores in town that I can give my business to.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah all things considered that's extremely mild.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The ok sign thing is... Not great.

Oh yeah I didn't notice that...

On one hand yeah it's possible and probably most likely that they were just referring to his hand gestures, on the other hand that's the whole point of the ok sign thing is that it's extremely deniable.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 16, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

LimburgLimbo posted:

I've yet to see anything to convince me it's not. Though its kind of a moot point anyway as once something enters common consciousness/use the true origin hardly matters.

So...it is, but at the same time it's kind of well known enough that white supremacists actually use it as a wink wink nudge nudge handshake thing with each other. And then if anyone calls them out they can just say oh we were just playing the circle game or we were just saying "we're ok!" and it's kind of impossible to say they weren't. Although when it's a bunch of southern cops taking a group photo are you gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that they're just playing the circle game or do you think it's safe to assume that they're referring to the gag they discussed at the Klan meeting the night before?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm not entirely fluent in chuddish, does Chicom mean "Chinese communist?"

Yeah, it's an old term from like the Korean/Vietnam war days so either the writer is old as gently caress or they dug it up specifically to do a racism.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Owlbear Camus posted:

I know conservative hypocrisy is cheap and pointless to try and count coup on, but I still can't help but point out once again that if Obama had banned bump stocks by executive fiat someone would have blown up a federal building about it.

Definitely. Trump does it and the younger gun guys on reddit grumble about how Republicans only care about guns as a wedge issue, but if a dem did that people would be going loving bonkers.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

I used to be tournament good at Halo 2. Now I don't even try to win 1v1 head on firefights in games. Reflexes start to go at about twenty-eight years old. That's why professional gamers are all so young, their window to be top tier is short.

I have no hope of outshooting people head on, so I just use my wily old man skills to befuddle them into losing.

Yeah I play Rainbow Six: Siege with a bunch of goons that are all around 30 give or take a few years and we're pretty good but we often get thrashed by kids who are just straight up faster than us. It's a good game for outwitting people even if they're faster than you but if they're good at the game in other ways AND faster than you then there's not much you can do!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Arcella posted:

Sounds like you could just call it “Brushstroke Camo” instead of “Rhodesian Brushstroke Camo” just like you’d call it “Blurred Edge” instead of “Nazi Blurred Edge”

Yeah it would have been super easy to just do this and I don't think anyone would have cared. Brushstroke or even African Camo would have worked fine as a name and would have raised significantly fewer eyebrows. It does look cool!

Fortunately for me I'm not interested in ARs either way!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Ian and Karl both seem like legitimately good dudes who at the very least have reasonable views on things. I have no idea what their exact politics are and that's definitely a choice they've made not to share but from various things they've done and said over the years I would be amazed if either believed anything too disagreeable, at least if you're ok with guns that is

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Internet Wizard posted:

Mind giving a quick list instead of making people watch it to find out and give them more views?

It's literally just like 20 different big names in Gun Youtube doing a short section of video where a magazine is thrown at them from off screen, they shoot it, and then pass the mag to someone else off screen and it jumps to another youtuber. Promoting the idea that you should introduce someone new to shooting. It's organized by CMMG, a fairly big AR manufacturer.

Unless all the people I'm unfamiliar with in the video are secret Nazis I'm not sure why it's really worth discussing and it's actually kind of wholesome? Other than the fact that it's kind of a light advertisement.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Nobody gives a gently caress what anyone did in the army or whatever

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress what anyone did in the army or whatever

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

This seems like an ok way of doing it IMO. There’s no mention of Rhodesia at all by the company and only a vague mention of Africa. It is a neat looking camo. I probably wouldn't buy anything in it myself knowing the connotation but to the casual observer it just looks cool.

On the other hand I did see at least three people in the comments (out of 50+) who are saying pro Rhodesia poo poo so...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Twitter has a lot of fascists but at least the way it works allows you to tell them to go gently caress themselves and let any observers see counterarguments etc. Facebook is the real evil IMO. Rotting the brains of all the older people that use it with right wing echo chambers they create. FB is WAY worse as far as radicalizing people with far right politics.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm so sad we had to cede the Gadsden flag.

Yeah it and unite or die are cool symbols. Fascists love to ruin symbols for everyone else though!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

St_Ides posted:

I think I managed to get shadow banned from certain Facebook ads.

A company that was constantly showing up on my feed (Zero Foxtrot) was advertising "rhodie sh*t". So I made a comment about marketing a camouflage so heavily associated with white supremacy seeming to be ignorant.

Now I can't even see their ads if I try.

I didn't know this was a feature of Facebook, though I'm not surprised, and will probably use it to my advantage going ahead.

Did they just block you from their page because I imagine that would stop their advertisements showing up for you

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

They actually spoke out when Philando Castile was murdered for legally carrying while black too! Unlike the NRA...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SinistralRifleman posted:

Lmfao...where do people come up with this poo poo?

I just texted him and no he isn’t.

Yeah I don't know the guy obviously but it seems pretty clear that he likes to keep his personal politics fairly private so joining an overtly political organization (in a different state??) seems pretty out of character. Probably just some troll stirring poo poo for fun.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I don't ever get anything like that and he's about half of the videos I watch on youtube.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm sure Sinistral Rifleman is giving Ian the play by play on what's going on in this thread, and they are laughing their asses off, or something.

This is all a calculated effort to get Ian to come post with us.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Most people aren't used to getting their rear end kicked. If you can avoid getting shot while closing then it's not a bad strategy

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I always heard the "pile of shots loaded one after the other" thing as inexperienced troops just being too panicked to do it right and not because they didn't want to kill anyone.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The other thing I saw when looking this up yesterday was that it's likely if your gun misfired you wouldn't exactly wait around to pull out the unfired ball so maybe you would discard it and pick up the nearest one you can find on the ground. Maybe this one had already been misfired and discarded instead of just dropped by a dead/wounded guy. So you load it again and fire and it still doesn't go off so you toss it away and find another, repeat until you find a working gun. Maybe this is happening with multiple guys in your area running around trying to fund a working gun so each misfired gun gets loaded and fails to fire multiple times?

I imagine it's a little of everything with plenty of it just being down to the same guy loading multiple times the first time his gun doesn't go off just because he's too freaked out to realize he had a misfire.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Spaced God posted:

I'm new to TFR and the fact that multiple people have all seen the same video of someone shooting a bear and loving on its corpse and some remember the name of the video is doing very little to dissuade me from any preconceived notions about TFR

It was a pretty common video on Efukt or whatever back in the day. It's like being surprised that goons have seen Goatse. You're telling me this man was doing WHAT to his anus?!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DeesGrandpa posted:

I'm fairly certain there's not going to be any more collaboration vids between the two, Dugan's more into getting hammered in his garage and livestreaming antisemitic conspiracies these days.

Oh no What did he do? He was fun to watch back in the day.

edit: oops guess I should have kept reading before posting

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 22, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

I just watched a documentary on the Alt-Right and something kept coming up I've heard before but don't know. What the gently caress is a Chapo Trap House?

Chapo Trap House is the most popular leftist podcast (by far as far as I know). The name is just a dumb reference to the drug lord El Chapo + a crack house basically.

It's sort of an irreverent comedy+politics type of thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Somebody Awful posted:

Speaking of YouTube, I learned the other day that a public domain recording of FDR's "a date which will live in infamy" speech has been copyright claimed by a Nazi propaganda video.

Turns out that in practice the DMCA is incredibly easy to abuse and completely sucks, who would have thought!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I haven't watched much of his stuff but he's significantly less obnoxious than the average youtuber so he's got that going for him at least.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I think we can safely say at this point that Karl is not a Nazi, whatever his haircut may be.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Also German spies dropped off from submarines, although all or most of them immediately surrendered or were captured. Japanese submarines and air balloons also attacked the mainland to little effect although that doesn't really count as troops on the ground.

1812 would be the last time there was anything meaningful unless you count the civil war.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Oneiros posted:

i'd heard of the balloon bombs before but always that they had been completely ineffective / killed no americans. funny that, propaganda and censorship still doing work the better part of a century later.

They were completely ineffective at their intended purpose of starting fires. The six (seven if you count the unborn child) people who died were the result of them messing around with an unexploded device. And that incident resulted in the military issuing warnings about the balloons so I'm not sure if you can exactly call that censorship.

edit: Also the husband of the woman that died was a reverend/missionary who was later kidnapped by the Viet Cong and never heard from again, talk about bad luck. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_E._Mitchell

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 30, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

It's "unconstitutional" to blame cops for covering for the abuses of their coworkers? wut

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

c355n4 posted:

https://www.henryusa.com/news/88-guns-for-ethans-army/

Am I reading into this too much? Why 88 guns? Should I be avoiding this company anyways for other reasons?

I don't know about the fundraiser thing, maybe they just picked $50,000 and 88 guns was what they needed to sell to raise that much money?

However they DO make a bunch of special edition Trump guns which may or may not be enough reason for you to avoid them. There are a few other companies that make lever guns although Henrys are considered to be pretty high quality I think. As far as gun companies go it's not particularly egregious but everybody draws the line in a different place.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 22, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

Surely there is a good, rational reason for 88. Surely.

How much are the guns? $50,000/88 is $568. So if they're charging around that (or maybe that's their profit margin after materials if they're charing $800 or something?)

That's the only thing I can think of. Otherwise kind of weird yeah why not just round it up to 100. It's not like it's even a good dog whistle if it is, just kind of a random thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Slim Pickens posted:

From the Gun people who hate gun people comment section on that garbage woobie

Spray that on your aero builder set, scrubs

Edit: cyrano, save this in case jeffrey updates the forums and lets us have a forum background

It would be better in GIP

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The USA is extremely racist but I'd say there's a good argument to be made that in comparison to most places it's uh, significantly less racist?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, my dude. You haven't heard me go off on my rant about Ching Ling Foo and how American has never not been incredibly racist, have you?

I have not, if you've posted or told it somewhere else just link and I'll/read listen.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Capn Beeb posted:

Guess I can write off Kentucky Gun Co. Bought my space Marlin from them, and they have a nice text a check system. Oh well.

I'm shaking and crying because of all of those lovely arm-brace ARs and Promags

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I stopped following this thread for a while so I missed the original discussion of this. For some reason I decided to google "hickock45 tucker carlson" and read a few random gun forum threads discussing it. Half of the posters were talking about how they don't watch Fox anymore because they're too liberal and they've switched to Newsmax and OANN, but Tucker is still one of the good ones.

The Boomers are extremely not alright!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dick Burglar posted:

The good news is, most of the people posting those sentiments are old boomers or silent generation-ers who will likely be dead within ten years. Yay?

Not yay if they take us all with them!