Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Going back a couple of pages to Rhodesia chat, what about Varusteleka? They sometimes ship in bags with a short-shorts “Be a man among men” picture, but Finland’s education on far-right symbols is sketchy at best.
I’d certainly rather think they were just clueless, not Quislings.

Also, YouTube keeps recommending me unsettling pale doughy and twitchy knife and gun people, probably because I watch Forgotten Weapons and britishmuzzleloaders. Is Brandon Herrera what until a page ago I’d have called a chud? There is a news article with him in a MAGA hat a few years ago, but given he’s in the arms industry he could just have been more of a capitalist than a morally good person.
Alternatively he might have changed his views during the last view years of clarification of what exactly “Making America Great” involves, but I don’t really want to trawl through all his media finding out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly I feel Varusteleka is more ignorance than malice. If they were garbage folks I don't think Ian and Karl would hang with them like they do.

I know Ian’s a good dude - the Rhodesia FAL videos are hard to watch if only because of sympathetic discomfort, and I really empathise with that “oh god the expert is also a maniac” feeling. Karl still makes me a bit uncomfortable, not because I think he’s right wing, but more in the sense that he looks and sounds so extremely stereotypically “American into SScandinavian culture” that I often have to remind myself that he’s weird but not that kind of evil.

Everyone should get Varusteleka jeans. They’re very well cut and are the only ones I know that work with reasonably athletic legs without just being baggy. They also make my arse look great. Is a man not entitled to the poppin’ of his booty?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Jehde posted:

Personal anecdote: I ordered a few thing from them somewhat recently, not gun related, but milsurp related. It came in a big paper bag with a giant "BE A MAN AMONG MEN" emblazoning, and a silhouette of a generic person that didn't include short-shorts. To be clear, this was the outward facing imagery for the postal workers.

I repulsed at it, and it is very questionable, but currently I peg it as clueless Finns, and not necessarily quisling Norwegians.

That was also an issue - I don’t hugely like the idea of the postman or the mailroom guy assuming I’m buying magazines about top anti-miscegenation rally decoration tips, or the eight Iron Cross winners who defended Europe from the Asiatic horde (number five will surprise you!).

Just to be clear, I do know Quisling was Norwegian. It can be hard to get a lot of people to admit quite how pro-Nazi parts of Finland were during and after the war, and how little they’ve examined that. I thought a more universally acknowledged scando Heilaboo was a better image.

KozmoNaut posted:

Karl is a hardcore anti-authoritarian Satanic Temple type dude, but yeah his infatuation with German/Scandinavian stuff absolutely did creep me out a bit at first.

I'm wearing a pair right now

Their tactical jeans are absolutely amazing too, they are the comfiest jeans I've ever worn. I'm also eyeing their worker trousers in wool, for use in winter, the old-school roomy cut is just the right thing for my manly thighs and buttocks.

I’m always a bit unsure about “anti-authoritarians” - our legal system isn’t quite so infested by our right-wing parties as some places, and I am absolutely in favour of authority silencing hate speech, for example, or cracking down hard on Tommy Robinson. It’s true that it’s always hard to be sure why someone’s anti-authoritarian, and the Satanic guys I have met tend to be unpleasant towards people for liking the wrong metal music or for being sexually unavailable rather than for political reasons. That’s university for you!

Please, I implore you to get the worker trousers in wool and in cotton if you haven’t already. I made a couple of small alterations to the cotton ones and they are absolutely the best and most comfortable clothes I own.

Vindolanda fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 20, 2020

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

That Works posted:

Seems like enough

Yeah - that’s pretty extreme in my book.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean, when information about the various evil poo poo our country has done is so easily available, anti-authoritarianism is a lot more attractive. I don’t know if your country has done less evil poo poo, or if there’s just no equivalent of a Freedom of Information Act where you are. IIRC he's also the child of Norwegian immigrants, so his grandparents probably had Stories. I have no excuse for Ian loving Franco so much, though. That is what Francophile means, right?

Different kind of Satanism. The Satanic Temple isn't actually "devout", they more exist to troll Christian Conservatives by saying "Oh, if the first amendment allows any religious group to put stuff in a public place, how about we put this statue of children adoring Baphomet right next to the cross in front of City Hall? Or how about we have our own extracurricular elementary school program like that bible study you have, After School Satan?"

I’m um...I’m British.

I suppose I mean that the people I knew who called themselves satanists were doing it to troll conservatives (small and big C), at least in their minds. Often, however, they seemed to end up in a position where everyone else, especially women, was beneath them, and there was a whole heap of strange added stuff about nature and bizarre Volkisch concepts drawn from pop-culture ideas of Scandinavia. Quite trans-exclusionary, and they certainly thought they were feminists if not radical ones. TE(not R)F?

I worked in antique arms and read Ancient History at uni, so the whole Deus Vult and other unsavoury history memes I see on Facebook are mixed in with some questionable Viking and pagan things. Maybe imagine if Varg Virkenes said he was feminist to entice goth girls?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Most gun and gun accessories company logos are simple iconography; dickspiders and Literally Just Traced Nazi Unit Patches are outliers.

I read this as “dickspiders are literally just traced Nazi unit patches” and I was really getting the brain into high gear trying to work out what SS division that would be.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

I’ve always wanted Ian to do more really forgotten things like the few 1800s and earlier weapon videos he has. To be honest that was mostly from my time working in antique arms, I was just hoping to meet him and get him into the pub to talk about obscure locks.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

moths posted:

Oh, no she can still get that Oakley one. The skull's not resting on the bones, they're forming an X behind it.

Might not want to get a blood type tattoo as well though.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Back on "volk" chat a few pages back... where does that leave HK's VP (called SFP everywhere but the US and, I think, Germany)? You'd think the descendant of Mauser would want to get very far away from that?

I was curious about that, and a cursory google suggests that maybe it’s a callback to the VP70, the first H&K striker fired pistol. Apparently it was a select fire and was supposed to arm stay-behind units (i.e. Volk as people rather than police or military) in the event of Soviet invasion. Someone can probably expand on this or correct me though.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

What's worse, calling your rifle "Sheila" or calling your rifle "galil-chan"? Asking for a friend.

“Waifu who take a life-u”

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

The thread activity brings up something I was reminded of - in one of the trashy magazine threads there was a set of pages of 1970s or 80s ads from Soldier of Fortune, I think, including one for this place https://www.teepublic.com/en-gb/t-shirt/461760-american-kick-punch-karate-federation

Oddly I could only find the image as a terrible t-shirt. Does that look nazi-adjacent to anyone, or am I being misled by the poorly printed font being such a staple of the late 20th century right wing? Haven’t had much luck googling things since obviously “black sun” or other descriptors tend to self select for racists!

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

One of the things holding me up is that I typically prefer super-dark indigo jeans, but they only offer blue and black. I've never owned black jeans, and I'm not sure I'd like them, but I kind of want to get one blue and one black. I don't know. I just worry about spending so much on a pair of jeans, only to find that I don't like black jeans after all. And since this is Hellworld 2020, nobody has fitting rooms anymore, so I can't even go try on a random pair of black jeans! gently caress!

Well, the blue and black jeans (that I got) might as well be two different brands. The blue ones fit great, they’re heavy, all is well. The black ones are a different size to the blue, they’re lighter, the cut is different, and they feel much cheaper. Just get the blue ones if you get a pair.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

It seems like the PBs are ineptly trying to appropriate clothing that is associated with subcultures they despise. Fred Perry shirts were worn by the original skinheads*, and now the Verillas kilts, and I think it's kinda really obvious by their webpage and social media that they are not on the same side as the PBs.

It's either just the PBs being dumbasses, or it's part of their performative "it's just a joke, bro" and cereal-punching initiation rites and whatnot, which they try to hide their fascism behind.

*And thus also by some far-right skins, of course.

Fred Perry shirts have been neo-Nazi for a long time - in the UK at least I’ve seen them in pictures of BNP and later UKIP, EDL, and FLA rallies going back a while.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

Do you think most people associate goon with something awful?

I’ve been trying to think about meanings of goon I know. Hired goons (a bit 1930s), The Goon Show (old, British) and the Popeye one for which The Goon Show was named. Also the smashing evolution of the bagpipes that our antipodean cousins keep wine in. I assume I’m missing another permutation of the US paramilitary scene?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I want to contact them and ask if they’ll ship to Maryland or northern Virginia.

Obviously not, didn’t you hear what antifa did at the capitol on jan 6th?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

PeterCat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vWgx1I6qrY

"Don't point a gun at someone you don't intend to shoot, don't shoot someone you don't intend to kill, and no warning shots. Warning shots are bullshit."

You put a warning shot across the bows of a neutral ship that refuses to stop in order to search them for war materiel. Just fire near any car on your street and search it for burglary tools. If you find any put your eldest child in command of the car and send them off with it as a prize to the nearest second hand dealer. I’m opposed to high capacity magazines because if I install one the weight makes the 24-pounder fall out of my bedroom window.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking earlier of youtube suggestions getting contaminated, holy gently caress this is a gigabotch from the algorithm if they think I want either of these two chucklefucks.

I wonder if it's because I watched that Kentucky Ballistics video of the Serbu blowing up.

I watched some of Ian McCollum’s video about “why guns blow up”, not knowing the context of that Serbu thing and now my suggestions are all doughy men in Oakleys talking seriously at the camera

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Didn't their favorite German political group of the 20s-40s do something similar early on? I know that's a part of why the KKK uses the titles that they do.

The nazis were youtube pranksters?

BEER HALL PRANKTSCH (GONE SEXUAL WRONG)

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of Rhodesia, Varusteleka seems now to have replaced the dreadful little rhodie on their bags. Hell of a lot less awkward when the nice DHL man drops the parcel off now.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

That is the cool and not at all dangerous wonder of T Rex Arms, the popular holster manufacturer.

Do they only make chest-mount holsters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Griz posted:

I used to have a Canadian customer who had his email signature as "Mr. Dominique (Dominic) Lastname" for the past 10+ years because he was sick of being misgendered and mispronounced by Americans who assume that spelling is female.

to be fair, that just looks like a 2-gun match stage run by weirdos who don't mind using their cars as obstacles. Ian and Karl have posted similar matches except theirs started with "knock over a blue plastic barrel and then grab gun from on top of another barrel" instead of a table, and their obstacles were sheets of plywood on stands painted with "match barricade do not shoot" instead of lazily propped up drywall.

There’s a difference between light-hearted “I’m a gendarme of 1962 in the terlet when ww trois kicks off” matches and “I’m in a disciplinary meeting because people can’t take a compliment” matches. It seems like a stretch to suggest anything else since the setup requires him not to have had his gun taken away.