Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Add me to the pile of people surprised to find out that the black guns matter thing wasn't spawned from the cringier end of the gun enthusiast internet.

That said, I strongly suspect that if it wasn't started as that that it's become coopted by them, perhaps without even knowing it. Because I've absolutely seen some good 'ol boys with that bumpersticker on their trucks alongside thin blue line, buckmark, molon labe, etc. stuff.

The first few times I encountered it in the wild, it was some chud bullshit that was (contextually) used to punch down rather than pull up.

A defunct crypto periodical interviewed Maj Toure a year ago. People are multifaceted, as has been noted many times before in this thread, but the interview is equal parts refreshing and . I generally agree that what he's doing is as good as can be done (in a hyperpartisan american context, anyways) to equalize the ability to project force at an individual level , but some of his words make me think he'll just be co-opted by the wider pro-gun movement and his message will be overshadowed by whatever is politically expedient. For example, the dude doesn't think trump is a racist and calls himself a casual acquaintance of jr. While not strictly relevant to his libertarian beliefs about who deserves firearms ownership, he's immediately going to have his ideas near automatically rejected by most left-of-center individuals due to questionable judgement. And unlike Beau who uses code switching and measured language as an 'in', Toure doesn't present himself as someone who's doing the same based from what I've seen on him.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm sure the "law and order" crowd is Very Concerned and use the opportunity to *spins wheel* continue preparing for the RaHoWa? Again? Is this spinner loaded?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, leftists have used boog for a lot longer than the recent examples of where the fash are hijacking it.

What circles? Legit curious because I've never seen it in the wild, wondering if it's a regional thing.

Also,

Cyrano4747 posted:

Saving this for future use, goddamn.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Soupisgood posted:

The current Boog isn't like, civil war 2, it's revolutionary war 2 and as racist as the founding fathers probably were, it doesn't have the same connotations as the confederacy. The only people talking about the boog are gun owners, and we're all painted as insane right wing racists by people we'll never interact with in a meaningful way who will probably never hear the term boog used for their entire lives. There's a world of difference between making memes about filling your dog with tannerite so the ATF blow themselves up and planning out fantasies of racial holy war. You're all being nerds complaining that the clans ruined everything instead of realizing that the jihad era was when everything fell apart, just with guns instead of the raddest rear end game known to man.

This beshits me on multiple levels.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Soupisgood posted:

I'm saying that no one, outside of the gun community and the periphery of the gun community has any idea what people are talking about when they bring up the boog or the big luau, it's a bunch of teenagers making jokes on discord and the overwhelming majority of it is jokes about the feds, not turner diary stuff with an awkward analogy to battletech to show how this thread would look to someone not really into guns. The only people being embarrassed by the cringe of the younger part of the gun community are within the gun community, for the people that are anti gun it doesn't matter if spikes has weird anti antifa fantasies or PSA is super pro trump. Don't endorse the companies you don't agree with, but don't get all worked up about a bunch of dumb kids being dumb kids. We were all just as stupid then, just a different flavor.

Ah, they're just pretending to be fascist dipshits. What a huge relief to visible minorities and every other disadvantaged group all across America. I'll let the minority hivemind know right away.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

poopgiggle posted:

I am waiting for the Blackhawks to change their logo to an actual black bird of prey.

I'll never not associate that hockey team with the 'Modern Family' gag.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Canada banned about 1500 types of firearms by name today. There's some valid debate to be had on why it's largely fluff (wide loopholes - AR15 bad, AR180 ok; doesn't address smuggling, the #1 source of illegal firearms; doesn't seem to prioritize enforcement of laws already on the books), but that's another discussion.

Canadiangunnuts, the appropiately named version of arfcom, has been filled with a high volume of lovely takes and calls for secession against the "Laurentian Elites" by people incapable of feeling cognitive dissonance. Strange how fast the "if darkies obeyed the law they wouldn't go to jail, thin blue line, Make Alberta Great Again (seriously)" crowd goes all "ACAB, don't comply, peaceful protest" (but not really).

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 2, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

A gay guy once told me he was personally okay with attacks like that because it's their own bigoted views that make them go into hysterics over the perceived slight to their toxic personality, and the best way to get under some rear end in a top hat's skin because it's impossible to engage them meaningfully any other way. I like to think he gets to live rent free in a lot of chud psyches.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 10, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Renting CNC capacity or branding blank receivers is probably the best that could be reasonably done by , but then you're back to finding a company that's as least awful as possible. It would have the benefit of being more legal than cranking out Luty SMGs and ghost glocks in a series of basement workships though.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

poeticoddity posted:

does anyone else find the use of the term "chud" troubling?

Philosophically yes, but as a practical matter it's wayyyy down the priority ladder for me to care about. We're way to deep into the tolerance-of-intolerance paradox, so and purity tests only help the baddies who aren't engaged in good faith and are actively harming others. Win the (metaphorical) war now, win the peace later.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

poeticoddity posted:

I've lost long-term friends because I said I couldn't in good conscience vote for Democrats until they stopped pushing gun control. I loving hate this two-party system bullshit.

I've lived in both USA and Canada, so maybe it's my coming through, but values beat interests in my books. I'd sooner see every privately owned gun melted into slag if it's the route to keep right wing ghouls away from levers of power. If it wasn't for horrible reactionary policies going back hundreds of years, most people wouldn't feel like they need firearms as much as they do. I'd rather live in that society that doesn't need guns for one segment of society to maintain its supremacy over other segments that it deliberately tore down to be kept destabilized and downtrodden.

That critique is not limited to CAN/US, but it does make me wonder - are dog whistle ad campaigns and open alliance of gun rights and social conservatives as prevalent in other countries? I've only briefly visited other nations but even in ones that make the top 20 firearms per capita list, it doesn't seem as split politically. Censure me if this is flying too close to the sun.

e. my quasi-informed observation is that in some places, ownership is seen as utilitarian (Israel, Sweden, Pakistan, Czechia), or a Cool Thing to Do that enjoys general support from all stripes where permitted. Only in US/Canada does it seem like it's become so married to a political brand. Even in NZ that's had ownership politicized and severely restricted recently, it doesn't come across as partisan in the same way. Willing to be wrong on this because I honestly don't know.

e2: Yes, with current power dynamics, disadvantaged groups (which I fall into) get hosed. Instead of giving everybody more guns as if it'll prevent another Tulsa, KozmoNaut seems to be the only one that a better choice is to live in a goddamned civilized nation where lissencephalic motherfuckers with holy war rapture fetishes aren't elected wholesale.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 23, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm trying to keep this apolitical as possible, so slap me down if this gets too DND. Gonna crosspost to the gun control thread as well because there's some overlap there too.

The US race riots are providing an interesting/terrible case study on the inevitable result of all the bad -isms getting co-opted by the wider firearms industry, and by extension, right wing toxicity. I'm not american (though I did live/work in the south for a few years as "one of the good minorities" ), but in my circles the general view across the spectrum is that the 2A crowd is mostly hypocritical mask-off bigots and bad faith actors at this point. Groups will storm government buildings to protest medical recommendations during a literal pandemic, but tolerate tyranny against an outgroup because 'patriots only bleed for American values' also protestors are all looter thugs, MLK would be ashamed. There seem to be isolated cases of 2A groups and minority gun owners attempting to broker peace in their bubbles, but general indifference/support for police is the norm. That line of thinking segues into the posit that since the hypothetical upside of firearm ownership almost never materializes and is outweighed by the actual externalities that happen as a result of easy access to guns, society would be better off if restrictions were heavily increased and enforced across the board (police included :worms:). Even before getting into the history of the police, jim crow, gun control, etc I really can't fault the logic. It's a non-starter to, say, cancel the second amendment, even if it's only really ever used to punch down. The prospect of it being used "as intended" will never occur because, if nothing else, the government has had the ability to pre-empt any challenge to its authority with it's surveillance capabilities since COITELPRO. As a practical matter firearms ownership might as well be relegated for (and regulated as) devices for hobby use/personal self defense/predator control etc, which might have the side effect of tempering the oper8or cosplay fetishists who want to relive The Purge without any risk of personal harm.

Again - never going to happen - but I'd like to hear what the goon hive mind thinks.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Captain Log posted:

CNN has an article on the "Boogaloo Movement."

tldr - It's complicated

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/boogaloo-extremist-protests-invs/index.html

I can respect that. I hope leaving their echo chambers and getting a taste of the jackboot real world pushes some of them into saner circles Someine linked an article by bellingcat either here or in the guncontrol thread as well, you can probably find it with a couple key google words.

e. or by looking up!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Funny, I was looking at some Iron Front-type imagery yesterday and this jumped out at me:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

E: I think old-school libertarian covers it best, before libertarianism was taken over by asskissers for big corporations. Think along the lines of OG Adam Smith rather than Rand Paul or someone like that. For people engaging freely in business and association, against monopolies (both business and government).

On that note, after reading Mayer's Dark Money and learning about shitheads like buchanan, I'm becoming convinced that all the bad -isms in the firearms community are, if not by design, a fortunate side effect.

quote:

MacLean argues that despite the rhetoric of Virginia school acolytes, shrinking big government is not really the point. The oligarchs require a government with tremendous new powers so that they can bypass the will of the people. This, as MacLean points out, requires greatly expanding police powers “to control the resultant popular anger.” The spreading use of pre-emption by GOP-controlled state legislatures to suppress local progressive victories such as living wage ordinances is another example of the right’s aggressive use of state power.

Could these right-wing capitalists allow private companies to fill prisons with helpless citizens—or, more profitable still, right-less undocumented immigrants? They could, and have. Might they engineer a retirement crisis by moving Americans to inadequate 401(k)s? Done. Take away the rights of consumers and workers to bring grievances to court by making them sign forced arbitration agreements? Check. Gut public education to the point where ordinary people have such bleak prospects that they have no energy to fight back? Getting it done.

Would they even refuse children clean water? Actually, yes.

There is a lot of interconnectedness between rich rear end in a top hat pet projects and firearms right groups in murky pit of money and ideologies pushed by (probable) clinical psychopaths and their broke-brain economic theory. It also kinda mirrors how the plantation-owning aristocracy spent a lot of time and trouble programming similar concepts into poor whites so they'd be content with their own chains as long as they got to punch down.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Frank Dillinger posted:

Sorry I missed this....what?

I'm usually savvy on current events but had to look it up too. I guess it was one more scream into the shrieking void that is present day america.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I took a couple military/combat psychology courses years ago and On Killing/Killology featured in it. I thought it was an interesting read, except for the the video games bit at the end which seemed to be a continuation of the moral panic du jour. The Eros/Thanatos interpretations of violence also rubbed me the wrong way (), but I remember liking his expanded flight or fight model, and his emphasis on reintegration. Whatever positive sentiments I had couldn't carry me more than a few pages into 'On Combat', though. It was uncomfortable even reading the sheepdog smarm. I figured he just aged into like Clancey, but I didn't realize he and Marshall were dishonest to begin with. A shock, but not a surprise, as they say.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Kesper North posted:

info sec stuff

I'm not a computer toucher but spent last week observing a pentest and seeing what happens when a bad guy cobalt strikes your poo poo, so this analogy is striking for me right now.

Growing up we called it "acting white" or "passing". If you looked, talked, ate the same food etc then you could become 'one of the good ones'. On the surface it makes sense that time nazis work the same way.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Participation ribbons in the art of sexing.

While SA is in the middle of a change of leadership we can update the word filters too

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Sadly, I can see police being way more empathetic just about anywhere that isn't here.

This reminded me of an editorial written by a Thai paper that wrote about America like America writes about the rest of the world: Unrest and protests continued for a seventh straight day in the former British colony of the United States as the government vowed to use its military to end the demonstrations, US media reported on Tuesday. The protests began in the small province of Minnesota, located in the agrarian ‘Middle West,’ over the killing of an ethnic minority by state security forces.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

At worst they seem to have gotten high on the farts of the populist shitheel NO STEP/ARE TROOPS crowd they market to, at best they seem to be indifferent that third parties resell their accessories with dumb poo poo engraved on it. There's no shortage of infidel/maga/moron lube-branded mags sold at a $5-10 markup, but Magpul themselves seem to stay out of the open awfulness and they don't sell it directly last I looked. They did relocate out of CO after their lobbying effort against magazine capacity restrictions failed, handed out free mags to defy state bans on occasion, and their one of the execs was on a number of NRA boards for years, but nothing out of the ordinary with the Overton window where it is.

Which I'm glad for because PMags load and feed best in my rifles and I like having to not pay $KAC for irons and other accessories on what is essentially a range toy.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Imma pick one of them bad boys up, thanks for the link.

I recently learned about Rifle Wraps whose imagery this thread would get behind.

quote:

Rifle Wraps was established in 2019 to create an outlet for minority 2A advocates. Realizing these voices were not being heard, Rifle Wraps is helping these proud Americans more accurately represent their gun rights. We recognized that positive depictions of armed minorities were missing from the marketplace. These premium vinyl wraps will protect your firearm's finish while accessorizing your arsenal. Support our movement. All the Power to All the People.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 22, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Buy Any Screens Necessary.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'd like a cool lever action, but am avoiding Henry because their ads tells me "our products aren't for you". Not as overt or violent as other companies, sure, but noticeable enough that I sold my AR7.

Everybody's line in the sand is gonna be different, but they're on the far side of mine and their stuff isn't special enough to be irreplaceable by ruger or whatever. Last time I flipped through one of their catalogues they didn't even have a token Hispanic or Asian guy, just a Jim Crowe aesthetic which I'd want to avoid regardless of industry.

e. checked out the digital 2020 catalogue and lol it hasn't changed.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 22, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

History was my gateway drug. It started in first grade with a book about WW1 land armaments from the school library because "howitzer" was a cool word to say. In third grade I got into a discussion with some goony teenager working the prize desk at chuck-e-cheese about why the M16 sucked in vietnam, horrifying his coworkers. I didn't stand a chance at 17 when that recruiter that came to the poor kids' high school.

God I'm such a loving loser

e. and/or a victim of military-publishing house complex
e2. that can't spell

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 23, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Syrian Lannister posted:

In 90 we were told to name our rifles. Thanks Army.

in early 2000s we were told to name ours after "the one that got away" because I guess that instructor was especially damaged. It meant we had a few boy rifles, though there was one guy who had a girl rifle and boy bolt

Loan Dusty Road posted:

So PSA continues to have CC issues?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What a wild ride.

Maybe it makes me a second rate patriot or whatever, but I'll take Canada's capricious gun laws any day over the current domestic throwdown between 2A vs 1A. Saw some scary poo poo in CCW classes from people I wouldn't trust with hairspray.

e.

Gin and Juche posted:

At the moment in question it was legally justified.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 28, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

You want ?

SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus; COVID-19 is the name of the disease. Id est, SARS-CoV-2 is to COVID-19 as HIV is to AIDS.

That's pretty apropos considering "the Chinese virus" as just as inappropriate as "the gay virus", which I heard a lot of growing up. Even got to sit through an evangelical service where a pastor talked about how he used to go gay bashing in St Lucia, and then described in detail how you could use conch shells as improvised bludgeons.

I don't go to church anymore.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Almost bought one of the AR500 carriers before admitting I had no imminent need and moving it from the 'gotta have now' to the 'eventually' list.

Thanks for the check before the wreck, and the link to the body armor thread - didn't really we had one.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

corporations bad

Welcome to the Democratic Communist Party!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 21, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

e. I tried to make a joke about cubism and centrist perspectives but it just wouldn't fit.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 2, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Beardless posted:

That's what I've seen as well, but the issue is that some of them fly under the radar for a long time and end up being in important positions before they're kicked out.

Grift your way into having an (R) after your name and you can double down forever at your institution of choice.

I try to call that poo poo out when I see it at ranges, haven't been shot yet!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That's how I learned it, it's a normal histamine reaction.

My daughter might actually be allergic to them because the bites swell up like a motherfucker, last for days, and flare up for months afterward.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Probably deliberate disrespect, as evidenced by the whipsaw between 'rethpekt the office ' and 'NOT MY PRETHIDENT ' that happens between administrations. Same with first ladies.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Even in the comparatively socialist republic of canada, e-learning isn't much better imo. My kid is probably gonna be alright because my spouse and I are educated and can afford to have someone stay at home teach him stuff above and beyond what passes as curriculum, but it's sad hearing some of the kids obviously struggling saying that they haven't uploaded any of their homework because 'dad isn't around to help until the weekend'. And those are the ones well off enough to have spare computers and decent internet in the near north

e. I will say class sizes aren't terrible (around a dozen) and the teachers we've had generally care, but it's tough for them too and there's only so much they can do for the kids that can't or won't be taught without the other kids back.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 15, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hard disagree because there's more to life about how nice you are to guns and everything about his message is awful bordering on irredeemable.

e. I wouldn't even say this is one of those situations where people can have their own reasonable interpretations on how comfortable they are supporting A Thing, given how objectively toxic carlson's messages are and the actual irreversible harm it directly supports and enables. Deplatforming works, and researchers are saying there's a massive decrease in the amount of disinformation that's been going around since trump/parler received the boot a week ago. If there's a content vacuum it will be filled, potentially by someone less of a shitbird than those in the Ancien Regime.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 18, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If he didn't, why would he be there as a friendly face? I'm willing to extend him as much benefit of the doubt as the typical beat cop would extend to a minority for loitering in a vehicle outside a trap house with a corner boy.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm willing to believe it's a coincidence

That's the whole point of cryptofascist bullshit. Why does benefit of the doubt only ever flow one way? Have the past 30 years ever made someone go 'oh, GOP would never be that stupid and/or openly racist'?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

NGL, one of the more useful skills I learned in the military is picking up on enough context clues to front my way through interactions that started while totally zoned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mohawk Satan did a good writeup to determine if someone sleeps on their sheets on wears them earlier in the thread...I'll take a quick look for it.

e. Link's at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692&userid=144544#post497547466. He got perma'd at some point so no follow-up questions allowed.