Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I wish the left-leaning ( or even politically neutral ) gun owners were nearly as vocal

WE'RE HERE
WE'RE NEUTRAL
WE PREFER YOU ACCEPT IT BUT IF NOT THAT'S OKAY TOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If it was really about protecting American labor, they'd be going after the companies that knowingly take advantage of undocumented workers, and are repeatedly caught doing so.

They do not. They never have.

Not true at all.

The issue is that when a company gets caught doing it, it's a game of musical chairs and pity the bastard left without a seat when the music stops. That is to say, usually one or two people get hung out to dry, and the rest of the company moves on.

They should absolutely be holding companies more accountable, but the burden of proof scales geometrically, the more people you try to tie in.

Edit: Frankly, I'm super amazed they were able to tie JP Morgan Chase to that ship full of cocaine. Those guys must be getting lazy about covering their tracks.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 26, 2019

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

That Works posted:

I would argue that it still would be far more effective to continue prosecution and make better legislation to target companies that knowingly hire illegal immigrants instead of trying to enforce a border wall or similar policy. You have a much more unique view into this so I am genuinely curious if you think that would be a bad idea or not.

I can see that as a path forward; just looking at human trafficking and prostitution, hitting the consumers of an illicit service seems to have a greater effect than hitting the suppliers. But I'm just one dude without much of a big picture view.