Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
this pittance of a settlement is freaking bullshit so i think im gonna opt out

quote:

IMPORTANT: You will be bound by the terms of the Settlement Agreement unless you submit a timely and signed written request to be excluded from the settlement. To exclude yourself from the settlement you must mail a “request for exclusion,” postmarked no later than 11/19/2019, to:

Equifax Data Breach Class Action Settlement Administrator
Attn: Exclusion
c/o JND Legal Administration
P.O. Box 91318
Seattle, WA 98111-9418

This statement must contain the following information:

The name of this proceeding (In re: Equifax Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, Case No. 1:17-md-2800-TWT, or similar identifying words such as “Equifax Data Breach Lawsuit”);
Your full name;
Your current address;
The words “Request for Exclusion” at the top of the document or a statement that you do not wish to participate in the settlement; and
Your signature.

If you do not comply with these procedures and the deadline for exclusions, you will lose any opportunity to exclude yourself from the settlement class, and your rights will be determined in this lawsuit by the Settlement Agreement if it is approved by the Court, and you may not recover under any other settlement agreement regarding the claims released as part of the settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Just received this email:

Noone is getting anything, hahaha.

lol just got this email last night and started looking for this thread. jesus loving christ

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
"sorry we hosed over way too many people to actually be held accountable for it lol yolo"

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I never bothered with this because oh boy I might get like a coffee if I’m lucky since they were only required to pay out a minuscule fraction of the chaos and human suffering they caused. :patriot:

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
also there's a hearing where you can complain about the settlement, one month after the opt out date

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

"sorry we hosed over way too many people to actually be held accountable for it lol yolo"

too big to fail all over again

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
On the other hand, how many of us are just signing up to get free money and have experienced literally zero impact from this? I'm one of them.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm hoping that enough people fail to respond to the email so that I get more money

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Richard M Nixon posted:

On the other hand, how many of us are just signing up to get free money and have experienced literally zero impact from this? I'm one of them.

At this point there probably isn’t even a reason to protect private information since with this and a few other big leaks probably everyone’s info is already out on the internet lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Richard M Nixon posted:

Blaming any individual identity theft on this breach will be like blaming an individual fire or flood on climate change. We all know it’s gonna cause a lot of harm for a lot of people, and continue long into the future, so you might as well take what you can get now. And maybe scream into the void that is your elected representatives’ mailboxes that Equifax deserves a corporate sized guillotine.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was in the OPM leak, when I had a clearance. Lol 28 pages of info they had. Family and friends info too. hosed up.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Burt Sexual posted:

I was in the OPM leak, when I had a clearance. Lol 28 pages of info they had. Family and friends info too. hosed up.

Does this include security clearance peoples’ info too? If so, just lmao

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

1redflag posted:

Does this include security clearance peoples’ info too? If so, just lmao

Nah they don’t have that, opm leak was a different one. But equifax leaked my poo poo too. I’ve been leaked 6 times. Burt is well known by now.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Richard M Nixon posted:

The thing is, they compromised, what, like 150 million people's information? Yeah, might not have been hosed over yet, but it's not like that compromised information can't still be used years from now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Richard M Nixon posted:

That is literally exactly what they want. By signing up for your free starbucks latte you are joining the class and so indemnifying them from any real harm this does to you in the future. Because you've had zero impact right now you're easy to buy off.

If you get ID-thefted in the future and have debt collectors calling you 50 times a day about the boat and 4 loans taken in your name with reams of proof that it was "you" that did it, a latte won't seem like such a great deal.

Class action suits these days are a scam, they move to negotiate the settlement before anyone really realizes how much damage has been caused, and pick a payout that is more about buying off the lawyers with big $$$ fees. In some respects I even find the whole "everyone go get your $125!!!" from the media a bit :tinfoil:, because it is totally to equifax's benefit for everyone in the country to sign up. It was probably just a thing that spread because it got clicks but still what a boondoggle.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Look it's either we try to cash in now or we launch unsuccessful individual lawsuits on a giant corporation later and guess which one of those is going to work out

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
Just take the money and sign up for credit karma. It'll report to you immediately when you get inquiries on your credit or new accounts. Probably better coverage than what these dicks are offering.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Klyith posted:

That is literally exactly what they want. By signing up for your free starbucks latte you are joining the class and so indemnifying them from any real harm this does to you in the future. Because you've had zero impact right now you're easy to buy off.

If you get ID-thefted in the future and have debt collectors calling you 50 times a day about the boat and 4 loans taken in your name with reams of proof that it was "you" that did it, a latte won't seem like such a great deal.

Class action suits these days are a scam, they move to negotiate the settlement before anyone really realizes how much damage has been caused, and pick a payout that is more about buying off the lawyers with big $$$ fees. In some respects I even find the whole "everyone go get your $125!!!" from the media a bit :tinfoil:, because it is totally to equifax's benefit for everyone in the country to sign up. It was probably just a thing that spread because it got clicks but still what a boondoggle.
You're in the class even if you don't sign up. If you never hear of this and decide to sue in a year because poo poo happens you're in the exact same legal boat as if you had taken the money. You can only reserve your right to further remedy by explicitly opting out, and even then good luck getting something meaningful out of a personal lawsuit against equifax. I agree about everything else you wrote, but there's no good solution for any given individual.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I actually got the email today and opted out of the "$125" which will be $5.12 in the end because the credit monitoring service they were offering sounded like it's 6 years of protection using info from all 3 bureau's, and then it's 4 years of Equifax monitoring for a total of 10 years of free monitoring? Sounds way better to me than $5.

Also a brief reminder that executives at Equifax sold a ton of their stock before the hack went public but after they were informed about it, and no one has landed in prison over it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mhsW5aWJM

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I actually got the email today and opted out of the "$125" which will be $5.12 in the end because the credit monitoring service they were offering sounded like it's 6 years of protection using info from all 3 bureau's, and then it's 4 years of Equifax monitoring for a total of 10 years of free monitoring? Sounds way better to me than $5.

Also a brief reminder that executives at Equifax sold a ton of their stock before the hack went public but after they were informed about it, and no one has landed in prison over it.

:capitalism:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I saw the email this morning. I've had this happen before, but it's infuriating that they are now paying less money solely because their fuckup is bigger than they imagined.

I already have credit monitoring set up so I'll still go for the money, whatever tiny amount that's going to end up being.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I was in the OPM breach too and all the monitoring I got for it (MyIDCare) seems to do is just tell me every time a sex offender moves into my county.

I don't really need the pervert database sent to me every couple weeks thanks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

George H.W. oval office posted:

also where the gently caress is my tuna from a few years ago

I got it right here

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I was in the OPM breach too and all the monitoring I got for it (MyIDCare) seems to do is just tell me every time a sex offender moves into my county.

I too enjoy my regular sex offender bulletins. It did manage to catch some cc opened in my name across the country.

I think the OPM monitoring benefit is for life btw!!!

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Another OPM goon. Joke is on the hackers, I've worked in non-profit since 2005.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Just trying to help you make friends, you ungrateful rear end in a top hat

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
So it used to be that you could simply dispute any fraudulent claims and the credit companies would just eat the loss. Now that we have all certified that we use credit monitoring, the burden is on us to pro actively report any suspicious activity.

Have we all been tricked into performing work that the credit companies were responsible for? Are we now liable if we don't carefully and accurately monitor all credit activity and report it promptly to the authorities?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Lol this exactly my experience with them.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RVWinkle posted:

So it used to be that you could simply dispute any fraudulent claims and the credit companies would just eat the loss. Now that we have all certified that we use credit monitoring, the burden is on us to pro actively report any suspicious activity.

Have we all been tricked into performing work that the credit companies were responsible for? Are we now liable if we don't carefully and accurately monitor all credit activity and report it promptly to the authorities?

Nah my credit union is all over the poo poo. I have to call every time I travel. They offer credit monitoring free too with a certain balance.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

RVWinkle posted:

Nah, Discover, Capital One, Chase, etc will refund any credit disputes I make no questions asked. The banks don't give a gently caress where they're getting the cash from as long as it's on their balance sheet.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

the only way to disable this is to call them fwiw

however their support line was really fast i don't think i was even put on hold. took like 30 seconds to be taken off

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also credit monitoring doesn't detect fraudulent use of your credit card in the first place. I don't think they see how your credit card is being used, only how much balance you carry and whether you make payments. Completely different thing than anything to do with someone ripping off your credit card and ordering 5 bigscreen tvs delivered to an abandoned house.

Credit monitoring protects you against someone opening a brand new credit card in your name, running up the max balance, and then vanishing. Or taking out a loan in your name. That type of credit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
yeah but what credit card company doesn't do that part already anyway?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Klyith posted:

Also credit monitoring doesn't detect fraudulent use of your credit card in the first place. I don't think they see how your credit card is being used, only how much balance you carry and whether you make payments. Completely different thing than anything to do with someone ripping off your credit card and ordering 5 bigscreen tvs delivered to an abandoned house.

Credit monitoring protects you against someone opening a brand new credit card in your name, running up the max balance, and then vanishing. Or taking out a loan in your name. That type of credit.

That’s the issuing bank or credit unions job. I mentioned that before, they run heavy analytics on me, at least. poo poo gets frozen a lot as it turns out, im unpredictable lol

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
A couple weeks ago, I checked my credit score on Credit Karma and saw there were 19 credit cards taken out in my name. I refreshed the page and they were gone. :tinfoil:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

poo poo when they asked what credit agency was watching whatever I totally spaced and put in equifax lol oh well

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

meanolmrcloud posted:

poo poo when they asked what credit agency was watching whatever I totally spaced and put in equifax lol oh well

They probably won't bother to check

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Free $125 for American goons here [serious]

[probably not extremely serious]

[increasingly unlikely this will happen]

[actually an elaborate joke at your expense]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Society is an elaborate joke at the expense of 99.999% of us.