Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Sleeveless posted:

traditionally humor is based on subversion, it is subverting expectation by naming an act of depraved debauchery after a group of people that are usually associated with being stuffy adherents of social nicieties. there's an entire section of the documentary about this including mention that there's an alternate punchline that called the act "royalty"

lol The point of the aristocrats isn’t the subversive ending at all, the point of the joke is to make the first part as over the top, insane, depraved and creative as possible, the ending is literally the most uninteresting part intentionally and it basically never changes

How do people not get this after watching like 30 people in a row do it

Isn’t this even explained in the trailer of that movie? god drat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i told someone the better nate than level joke

then on a car ride i played the hour long telling of the joke.

Then i woke up in a ditch in mexico

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I used to listen to Loveline on my sport walkman and one night in 95 I woke up in the middle of the night to the weirdest, coolest song ("Where'd you pleasure go/when the pain cut through you/Where'd your happiness go...). It stayed in my head until I randomly caught it in full on MTV.

Man life before Pandora sucked.

Both of those are from her 95 release, Hello.
I like that version of Hello as a B side but the album version is my favorite.

You want poo poo from HAUNTED, her 2000 concept album (i was listening to it on a 12 hour bus drive when it finally hit me that all the songs told a story)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgyRQheHgaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWYBdzduIiY

I loved her music and her way of interacting with fans. Really bummed she got a raw deal ( Atlantic records dropped her because they were on the hook for paying for marketing and creating her music, but had no claim to her masters. She asked her fiancee's father for legal advice and he suggested working with his law firm, who then gave her a 200k promissory note and said her masters would be held if she defaulted, which she did. Cue the drat lawyers preventing her from creating new poo poo until it was settled in 2005).

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Counterpoint to your counterpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ1YUwAbdd8

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Sleeveless posted:

Flash websites were great because people were just making small fun games for free instead of making everything a $10 indie title or a microtransaction-driven grindfest. Really back before the online ad market collapsed when everything was just free instead of having to navigate patreons and kickstarters and subscriptions was so much better for the end user.

Ahhh I was waiting for this. I should have clarified that I meant sites that were made 100% in Flash, not sites that featured Flash games/cartoons. The latter were cool af.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Remember downloading mp3s and trading them with friends?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omSg5G6VkSk

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Yeah, people I know won't do this now that they can use spotify.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

A friend and I used to record deliberately awful/ridiculous raps and upload them as leaked Xzibit/Eminem collabs.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

A friend and I used to record deliberately awful/ridiculous raps and upload them as leaked Xzibit/Eminem collabs.

I used to do this on Napster. I would "leak" songs that were 15 seconds of silence followed by a loop of "the most annoying sound in the world" from Dumb and Dumber. I thought it was the height of comedy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I always figured you guys were RIAA trying to make piracy annoying so people would buy the music instead.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

https://youtu.be/MaRdnOtjAIg

Noughties nostalgia is okay.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

I don't like the trend away from physical buttons either, no. I always mistype on the virtual keyboard on my android.

Someone recently gave me a pair of bluetooth earbuds. They're fine in principle but if you tap them, you pause your music. So now whenever I want to adjust them a little in my ear, I end up pausing. Taking them out or putting them in involves several unwanted pauses and resumes, it's just dumb and I don't get what's wrong with a physical button.

Pages back, but get the kind of headphones that have physical controls on them, I've got a pair that have a wire connecting them and they have a thing with three buttons on it: power/pause, volume up/skip forward, and volume down/skip backwards. Even the cord's useful because I can take the headphones out and just let them hang around my neck.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Giant_Pupils posted:

I used to do this on Napster. I would "leak" songs that were 15 seconds of silence followed by a loop of "the most annoying sound in the world" from Dumb and Dumber. I thought it was the height of comedy.

Oh yeah, I had to develop "download tricks" like look up the track listing on amazon, or wikipedia and look at how long the track was, then downloading the mp3 that had mostly the same length.

Yet somehow I still ended up with Quite bitter beings by CKY, and so did many of my other friends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQ7qOCDFYQ

Also the Jackass song was Carona by the Minutemen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxmKsTvcLg

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Giant_Pupils posted:

I recall someone uploaded a file on Kazaa or whatever purportedly of the then-anticipated Kingdom Hearts 2 theme "Passion" by Utada but it was actually the theme music for the daytime soap opera "Passions".

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

People used to pay to get them songs and movies.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I've swung back around to paying for music if I find a new band worth supporting, and I guess I pay for movies too since I see two or three films a month at the theaters.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Kazak posted:

I've swung back around to paying for music if I find a new band worth supporting, and I guess I pay for movies too since I see two or three films a month at the theaters.

If you want to support a band don't buy their music, go to their shows.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

You mean like out in public? gently caress off

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Ghost Head posted:

2000-2010 is the worst decade in history and everyone should pretend it didn't happen, however it's an absolute golden age of humanity when compared to the way we'll remember 2010-2020

lol not only is this embarrassing as gently caress to just have as a thought that exists inside your head, but doubly so to actually let that opinion leave your conscience in a tangible form. my sincerest apologies for your debilitating mental illness

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

actually its better to do both if you can!

especially if you buy their music at their shows thats literally putting cash directly into their hands. buy shirts and posters too.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just came up with a hilarious joke title format. Let me know what you think:

"The Passion of the ________"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I am nostalgic for some of the enthusiasm and comedy on these forums around that time.

I am not nostalgic for GBS being the home of pedantic grammar Nazis waiting to pounce on every typo in a post.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Man you know what I dont think one person has been nostalgic for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnaFpQaGFCA

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Rutibex posted:

i literally bought this phone brand new last week. i'm just sick of touch screens i like buttons. its great i have only had to recharge it twice in a week. i have a tablet for loving around with apps and the internet, i just want my phone to be a phone. i guess i have the 2000's nostalgia!

I have the same phone and yes I do like the tactile buttons and long battery life.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I am nostalgic for some of the enthusiasm and comedy on these forums around that time.

I am not nostalgic for GBS being the home of pedantic grammar Nazis waiting to pounce on every typo in a post.

Better the grammar nazis of the early 10s than the literal nazis of GBS 2.0 imho

Though the 00s were as much the era of Helldump driving off all of the actually cool and interesting content creators in the name of chasing clout as it was the time when said content creators made this site what it was so it's a mixed bag.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I used to think Realplayer was the best media player

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

i dont wanna blow your mind here, but some people do both

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Better the grammar nazis of the early 10s than the literal nazis of GBS 2.0 imho

Though the 00s were as much the era of Helldump driving off all of the actually cool and interesting content creators in the name of chasing clout as it was the time when said content creators made this site what it was so it's a mixed bag.

I mean sure if the content creators you're talking about were weird furry pedos or whatever

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Vegetable posted:

I used to think Realplayer was the best media player

I heard that winamp really whips the llamas rear end, so I switched to that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Winamp used to take up so much of my 800x600 monitor and when I upgraded to 1024x762 it was insane how much more real estate I had

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TheMostFrench posted:

I heard that winamp really whips the llamas rear end, so I switched to that.

winamp and morphus which was really just kazaa re skinned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i miss downloading winamp skins and loving around with milkdrop