Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

*inhales deeply through nostrils*

Early 2000s was back when I would get several phone calls a week from an aging relative asking me to help them with "the dang computer".

I miss spending a whole hour trying to show my uncle how to save a picture of a Corvette Stingray to his desktop while he yells "SLOW DOWN YOURE DOIN' ALOT AT ONCE"

Now they are PM'ing me on Reddit calling me a liberal cuck and getting me doxxed on 4chan.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Xaris posted:

for lots of millennials they're now making 150k touching computers selling ads to people or w/e instead of being poor n unemployed in college and i bet you they like making 150k a lot more than being nostalgia for the 2000s.

Surprising level of naivety about the real world, even for these dead gay forums.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

The_Continental posted:

*inhales deeply through nostrils*

Early 2000s was back when I would get several phone calls a week from an aging relative asking me to help them with "the dang computer".

I miss spending a whole hour trying to show my uncle how to save a picture of a Corvette Stingray to his desktop while he yells "SLOW DOWN YOURE DOIN' ALOT AT ONCE"

Now they are PM'ing me on Reddit calling me a liberal cuck and getting me doxxed on 4chan.

My mom would collect and gift me AOL CD's so that I can install more internet. I love my mom.

She bought a computer specifically for the purpose of installing a digitized bible on it.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Two Thousand Nine-Scene is bringing emo back and there's nothing you can do about it, rawr xD :3

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

I always wanted cool scene hair.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
WHO LET THE DOGS OUT

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT

Good Ol Filbert posted:

My mom would collect and gift me AOL CD's so that I can install more internet. I love my mom.

She bought a computer specifically for the purpose of installing a digitized bible on it.

Was it Logos or the other major one?

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

kimihia posted:

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT

Was it Logos or the other major one?

Jehova's Witness

Speaking of, I noticed that they have these little carts with TVs on them now with pamphlets and stuff. I half-jokingly asked my ma if they gave her one to wheel around, and she said that they don't give them, you buy them. They buy the pamphlets too. I want to know who is in charge of their marketing, because this is guerilla marketing at it's best and I want in.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Might be someone rejected from Amway. Borrowed the Amway MLM idea and updated it for good ol' Jehovah himself!

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

You have to have at least 3 Witnesses under you to go to heaven.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sleeveless posted:

They're already reissuing old flipphones and Nokia style candybar phones because people are nostalgic for them and the lack of distraction they have versus smart phones. Same with iPods.

I still have my 120gb iPod classic. It's great to put music on and be able to listen to it without an internet connection or affecting phone battery, since the phone is useful in an emergency.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm sorry OP but this place has been extremely nostalgic about early SA for years and that's all early 2000s. It started right here, t-shirts with grenade logos for everyone.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I've been nostalgic for the year 2000 for almost 20 years now.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Looking forward to them bringing back that Tony guy from Iron Man (2008).

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The way things are headed? Yea 2000s nostalgia is well founded

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
How were the 2000s even different from today except social media wasn't so big, smartphones weren't everywhere yet, and the world didn't seem as dystopian? I can't think of anything memorable from the 2000s except 9/11 happened, and terrorism isn't something to get nostalgic about.

I feel like culturally, the past two decades have been really blah. Technology has improved for sure but it's made some things more convenient and some things worse.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

green chicken feet posted:

How were the 2000s even different from today except social media wasn't so big, smartphones weren't everywhere yet, and the world didn't seem as dystopian? I can't think of anything memorable from the 2000s except 9/11 happened, and terrorism isn't something to get nostalgic about.

I feel like culturally, the past two decades have been really blah. Technology has improved for sure but it's made some things more convenient and some things worse.

Well according to that one guy, all us millennials are now out here making six figures touching computers instead of being poor, and definitely not living with parents and/or 4 roommates while being ground to dust in low-level jobs that barely allow us to make our minimum student loan payments. So there's one difference at least!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This is my United States of whatever *plays siffle and Ollie then puts in my burned cd of my chemical romance and coheed and Cambria*

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wonder if posters who haven't been on in years are going to come back and say hi.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah that'll end well. There's a good reason there aren't a lot of old reg dates around, those men were crude, violent and small minded

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747

super sweet best pal posted:

Wonder if posters who haven't been on in years are going to come back and say hi.

I took a 3 year break.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Back when the entirety of the internet wasn't just four websites that were mostly people stealing content from the other three.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

There were way more Honda Civic DX's with atrocious body kits and Pep Boys mufflers in the 2000's. I don't miss it all. Now teens can't afford a car at all so there are less of them putting that ugly poo poo on used cars.

Progress.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cubone posted:

the only things worth pulling out the bush years are invader zim and hey ya

Netflix is making an Invader Zim movie so there ya go

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

That Nu Metal you like is coming back in style.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Picnic Princess posted:

Netflix is making an Invader Zim movie so there ya go

what about Hey Ya

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

nankeen posted:

i wasn't allowed to play video games during the week, but on 9/11 i was home sick from school and all there was to watch on tv on every single channel was buildings falling down so i will forever associate that day with spyro 3 on my little flat grey playstation 1

I remember that I got out of middle school early that day because it was Tuesday anyway. Got on some yahoo chatrooms and hung around. That night I had a tuna sandwich and watched a show about Vikings.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
As someone born in the 70's, all the 2000's up till now seem like just last week to me. im so old

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
9/11, Ridin' Dirty, Tina Fey is way past 30
Teen Mom, broadband, AOL's decline

Spider-Man One and Two, Mel Gibson hates the Jews
Jon Stewart, A-Rod, O.J.'s locked away

W-M-D's, JNCOs, Plain White T's,
Bratz Dolls, Mighty Beanz, Red Sox lift the curse

Dick Cheney, Colin Powell, Britney's back in rehab now
Goatse, Facebook, Heath Ledger's Joker

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Well according to that one guy, all us millennials are now out here making six figures touching computers instead of being poor, and definitely not living with parents and/or 4 roommates while being ground to dust in low-level jobs that barely allow us to make our minimum student loan payments. So there's one difference at least!

Sorry 4 ur loss

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

General Dog posted:

Steel beams can't melt from fi-re

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

I wear long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirts under long sleeve shirts.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
probly 2004 was the greatest year of all human history. real good year, 2004

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
the Need for Speed : Underground soundtrack burned some songs into my brain forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUZeZNxiD-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMXKt99W61A

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Jeza posted:

probly 2004 was the greatest year of all human history. real good year, 2004

The Christmas Tsunami and also Evanescence won a grammy that year

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

General Dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-DMIf-WZYU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Benny Harvey posted:

I wear long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirts under long sleeve shirts.

Wait is this uncool now?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Hangover turned 10 a month ago and looking back it's the last time I remember a theatrical comedy achieving that degree of success and cultural impact. Like for most of the 00s almost every year would have some Adam McKay or Judd Apatow movie or the odd indie breakout hit like Borat or Napoleon Dynamite that people would quote and reference and whose imagery would decorate shirts and bumper stickers for years to come and then that just stopped.

Now we get superhero movies and cartoons and the odd "dramedy" like The Big Sick where they have some funny jokes but it's also about something very serious and important so you know it's a Real Movie. You could probably trace the rise of modern meme culture in the way that Hollywood stopped giving people stuff like Anchorman to quote so they had to latch onto funny internet pictures instead.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I think you may have the chicken and the egg thing conflated. Memes didn't kill big hollywood comedies du jour. Hollywood is just a giant corporate ez-profit seeking business. They stopped making tons of lovely Apatow and Carell/Ferrell/Rogan/etc comedies, at least on a large-scale, because they stopped selling. Maybe they stopped selling because people now have wide-adoption of smartphones and wider-access to laptop/tablets/pcs, such were less inclined to see a comedy when they can have internet funnies instead. Or maybe there was just a long series of ones that sucked and people got burnt out of seeing the same formulaic thing that were not very funny at all. Probably both.

also I think your prescribing way too much important/popularity to modern meme culture than it actually carries, but, perhaps that's just me talking as a goon that hates+stays out of social media besides occasionally lolling at dumb trump tweets or the rare funny burn. memes have been around since the internet tho but i think mostly peaked, as far as i can tell, like 2013-something.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I think Bridesmaids was the last big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

The Hangover turned 10 a month ago and looking back it's the last time I remember a theatrical comedy achieving that degree of success and cultural impact. Like for most of the 00s almost every year would have some Adam McKay or Judd Apatow movie or the odd indie breakout hit like Borat or Napoleon Dynamite that people would quote and reference and whose imagery would decorate shirts and bumper stickers for years to come and then that just stopped.

Now we get superhero movies and cartoons and the odd "dramedy" like The Big Sick where they have some funny jokes but it's also about something very serious and important so you know it's a Real Movie. You could probably trace the rise of modern meme culture in the way that Hollywood stopped giving people stuff like Anchorman to quote so they had to latch onto funny internet pictures instead.
Even when something finally looks like a proper comedy, it usually turns out to be a bummer. Like Booksmart was hyped as an even better Superbad but instead spent a lot of energy to teach us how we should't make assumptions about others and took like 15 minutes for a huge, serious argument between the main characters. Also the jokes that were there weren't mostly that funny.

I really miss real comedies too. That, and 9/11.