Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This seems like a goofy setup. I like it. Count me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
can't get copped if you don't sign up

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Confirming pm received!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm using tilt controls!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I copped myself, got a scum result

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mr. Humalong posted:

trying to head off the idiots who will say "if u got a scum result y u no vote sal?????"

I don't trust my result obviously, but I don't trust everyone else either.

that would be kind of a scummy line of questioning in a game where your own results probably don't mean much at first.

Given that you don't trust your result, you're voting to prevent someone approaching you with a line of questioning that town probably wouldn't???

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I didn't claim scum. I claimed that was the result of my self cop. Which I could t do if I was scum. Sure I could be bluffing but why draw that attention to myself?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Lumpen posted:

I think this is a Scummy thing claim to have done.

If you’re Town, don’t self-Cop. It won’t tell you anything very useful for lynching Scum.

If you're town self copping is copping the one person whose alignment you know. As a n0 it seemed worth it to me

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I know I'm neither sane nor naive, which I think is a helpful start. If I'm not flipped to confirm me then eventually it's possible to put together a model where interpreting me as town lets you rule those two out for me. That's a start and I don't find that information worthless.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

chaoslord posted:

You’re the kid who couldn’t wait the minute to get the second marshmallow, basically.

Argue within the game but please do not imply that I am a daytrader

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
actually ##vote clord

That post is basically chastising me for not playing in a way you feel is optimal but doesn't really add anything about what you think it means of my alignment so it feels more like you want to finger wag at me for how I choose to play with enough words that it looks like you're contributing content. I conclude it's fake

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Lumpen posted:

Okay so if you are Town you have narrowed your own role down to SEVEN possibilities, and provided absolutely nothing of any value for us after you flip, at which point we will already know what you were.
If you're Scum you're telling the easiest possible lie to maintain.

Summary: If you are Town, don't self-cop. It's bad.
##vote Nep-Nep

So do you actually think I'm lying or are you voting me for playing badly, because if it's the latter wtf

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Lumpen posted:

Well we know for sure that you're not the Sane Cop. If you're the Paranoid Cop then your existence could be valuable, but you are the logical lynch today because we know you are not the Sane Cop. You could be Scum (likelier than anyone else I see), and with anyone else we risk lynching the Sane Cop.

If you are Town, logically and optimally you should self-vote.
If you don't self-vote, then you are even more likely to be Scum, which further justifies my vote on you.

The case on me and critique of my play seems predicated on the idea that we should be primarily trying to solve this game via actions and not posts. Given that this setup almost feels like a minefield for scum, I don't particularly have a problem with that. Anyway, I copped myself n0 because I thought it would entertain me, which is my primary motivator for playing mafia in the first place.

I don't agree with the notion that it's optimal for me to self-vote. I have twice the odds of hitting scum with my vote than the sane cop, if I help vote out other town it isn't as big a deal, whereas with a self vote I know 100% I'm helping kill town. I believe it would be a further disservice to town to just say "oh well someone said it was logical for me to die so I'll stop scumhunting and do a grave dive"

So, I'm not gonna vote for myself. Taking the effort to respond to this I don't feel like your particular lean on me is scummy but if you all do decide I'm the best vote for today I'll hope you have a good luck at that flow of votes and don't get lost solely in the actions.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
maf edit: "a good look at" not luck

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Solid casing humalong

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Lumpen posted:

Here's a question that should help Townies look Town and Scum look Scummy (or lurk):

Why did you target the person you picked on N0? Explain your thought process.

I was curious if to my idea would even be allowed. If it's out of thread, then I like to submit actions using descriptors like if allowed, do x, else do y.

Since what I was curious about did go through, my second choice would have been Sal because lately Sal's been tripping me up so that's someone I'd want results on even with no in-game reads.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
So according to the spreadsheet I should be copping clord right?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
okay ##vote humalong

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'd vote hum, b-minus, maybe clord.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I was not the town who lied but I am amused by their choice to do so.

Now would probably be a good time to come clean if you did it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Hey scum if you need any help deciding who to nk feel free to ask

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I kinda hope it was humalong and we'll not find out until the end

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh nvm humalong had a scum result

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Lumpen posted:

Krell would. Unfortunately that would also make him Town, and so an... unoptimal flip. But maybe worth lynching just so he can't intentionally gently caress up the chart every day.

You sure seem very interested into coming up with reasons we should lunch town players

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Lumpen also used the rare feature of night talk to point out who the scum are least likely to be, which also gives scum a solid reason to want to kill those people off first, which seems not the thing you first call attention to if you're town and have awareness of how scum might make their kill decisions.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Okay so that means Lumpen's town, right?

I got a scum result on clord

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
##vote Harold

I think the idea of a town player thinking they were the binary cop going in is weird in itself but given how harold has played since that's a sensible read.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
What plan are we following for copping this time?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I actually got the secret dlc role of doctor, I used it to protect the moon so scum can't kill the moon tonight, was that a good call?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I got all the dlc for free because I bought the limited edition but I'm still not sure it was worth it because it was $50 more and the only extras were a steelbook and a print out of the claimed results spreadsheet on cloth

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
How do you even design a steelbook for a thread on an internet forum

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I investigated siv again, scum result again

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Yeah if I'm following the chain of logic correctly, then b-minus doesn't seem like a good vote to me so I'd prefer to vote AA. I'll have to take a deeper look at it later but I'm prepping for a trip out of town today.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I don't want to vote SiV because at this point my results there are either meaningless or SiV is town.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

spacing in vienna posted:

I think nep is saying if I were scum, he'd have to be random, given his results pattern.

Yup, and while it's not farfetched to have a coin land the same way three times in a row, I think the overall odds of you being town are more favorable than not based on current info.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Yeah, I'm probably the insane cop based on everything going on. If scum kill me and I do flip that way, that clears siv as I have been truthful about my results. However, it's certainly not for sure! Like I said I could myself very well be the random cop and just have gotten the same result three times. It's all kind of interesting how much ambiguity there is.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
B-minus could still be scum but there's plenty of issues with that- d1 claims were weighted it's hard for me to believe there was more than one lying town, and that would imply that those who claimed scum results d1 were likely telling the truth.

There's also the issue of lumpen's result on b-minus. Since we've seen lumpen's flip the only way a scum b-minus works there, if I'm parsing all this correctly, is if lumpen lied for some reason, or if the scum team, which in this hypothetical, if lumpen is telling the truth would imply a scum b-minus self/partner rolecopped to throw off the result of the residue cop?

Which drat that would be a cool play but altogether I don't really think it's b-minus right now.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'll be honest I think I checked out mentally multiple times d1 because d1

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I can only be insane or random if I haven't missed something, unless humalong lied about this result d1 I can't be contrarian. I think I'm the insane cop so I'm most likely to vote today based on that model unless there's a solid reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
don't vote shame us votefinder