Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
i just print everything at the office because stealing office supplies rules 191 38.28%
*printer making a bunch of random noises and taking 5 minutes to print a loving document 104 20.84%
that scene from office space 89 17.84%
goku traveling printer repair tech. hates his life and job. 115 23.05%
Total: 315 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

The thing that baffles me is if printing weren't so awful I feel like people in general would do a lot more of it instead of swearing off printers for good.

I print daily at work and it is most often spreadsheets/documents I want to hand annotate for whatever reason and I print pretty frequently at home, recipes, to do lists, return labels.

I love our Brother laser at home, I don't understand why printer manufactures are so invested in selling consumables when there is no reason the market should work that way when the thing that people hate most about printers is consumables.

this thread inspired me. i have needed a new home printer for a while so i did a bit of research last night and found this gem on sale at staples. it was an insane deal, less than half price at $99. i've finally done it, i have escaped inkjet hell and am smooth sailing in dirt cheap toner country!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Chiming in to say I started a printers thread in SH/SC a short while back and this post from it is still one of my favourite I've ever read on SA:

1gnoirents posted:

Hey its the thread for me. I "work with" a variety of printer models, mfp copiers, etc. All lasers because its for various business use.

Actually I loving hate printers. I hate rollers, I hate maintenance kits, I hate toner, I hate moving them, I hate shipping them, I hate trying to fix one of 9000 little coil springs that shoot off into the ether when you sneeze at them wrong, I hate the wheels on copiers, I hate Lexmark, I hate Brother, I hate HP. I have 33 copiers and probably 100 regular lasers sitting in my office right now I want to go office space on. Please load paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3 please load paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3 please load paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3 please load paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3 please load paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3

Therefore - I hate this thread, but please OP understand this is due to my hatred of printers and not you :)

If you want a tough consumer B&W laser then in my years and years of experience I recommend a Brother 5470DW or 6200DW. TN750's, 720's, 850s last forever. If its low you can shake that baby for months and it'll still put out. Dont buy an inkjet without a very specific purpose otherwise it will dry out and you will be stuck with a useless piece of consumer plastic garbage stuck on a shelf for the next 2 years until you just throw it away.

Thats all I got never get into printers. Someone needs to wipe the floor clean with printer and copier design and come out with something elegant. There are way too many rollers and springs and doors and catches and weak plastic bullshit in a printer, its like someone is getting paid to fit as many spinning things into an object that presses a piece of paper to a fuser as humanly possible.

CODE: 154 PURCHASE WASTE TONER BOTTLE

(literally a plastic bottle thats permanently sealed so you can pay $80 for another empty plastic water bottle)
The sheer, visceral hatred expressed by this person for the machines they spend their life working on is a thing of beauty to me.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I regularly dealt with Ricoh repair techs for work and they seemed like the happiest IT adjacent workers I’ve ever met. It’s like they knew they were set for life, regardless of the fact that they were repairing those abominations of hell on the daily.

Like they’d ask “hey, can you check if such and such part came in?”

“No? Nice, three hour lunch for me!”

Laslow fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 23, 2019

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The popular thing in my area is now Riso/risograph/aka lazy print screeners printer. The way they described the color cartridges sound like the ultimate printer scam. Thankfully no one at work had learned about these and requested one.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 23, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

I've printed out model femoral implants
post the female implants

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochrome-HLL2390DW-Convenient-Replenishment/dp/B0764NWFP9

Buy this, $99.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I already have a printer I hate why would I need another.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
brb gotta 3d print some more props for law & order svu and then not sand down the layer lines

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just spent an hour and a half trying to get a Panduit label printer to work and thought of this thread

it still doesn't work

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Good printers cost money. If you buy a $1,200 printer, it will work well. I used to use a Brother laser printer that could do up to 10,000 pages at a time before heating became a concern. I'd just put a big fan by it and it would keep up. That included printing alternating regular paper and peel off sticker sheets for packing slips.

It does cost good money though.

Regular printers do suck though. I agree with that. I fight with my printer all the time. I don't want a touch screen, I just want a decent sheet feeder for scanning/copying.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that printer $69.99
coupon code: 70775

https://www.staples.com/brother-hl-...roduct_24286229

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Lol did he used to have an amazon affiliate code on that link

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mostlygray posted:

Good printers cost money. If you buy a $1,200 printer, it will work well.

ahahahahaha no gently caress Zebra.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Being garbage is baked into the consumer printer market

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

bomb posted:

Being garbage is baked into the consumer printer market

They are literally a scam, and they're designed to waste ink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I just print things at work

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

shame on an IGA posted:

ahahahahaha no gently caress Zebra.

I agree with your sentiment. Zebra's are absurd printers. They do work well though. Expensive stuff is hilariously expensive. Way back in college I used to use a $120,000 RIP station with an imagesetter for printing film for making offset plates. It worked very well. It was just terrifying to use. One wrong key press and you'd be thrown out of school for breaking it. No one knew how to fix it.

I'm pretty sure it ran on an OS that looked like Windows 95 but was a ripoff. I know you're thinking OS2 but it wasn't that. It made no sense in all regards. You could do separations like crazy though. It even did stochastic dithering up to 1220 dpi if you so chose.

Now I feel old and sad and the 90's were apparently a decade that people were born in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nastyman posted:

They are literally a scam, and they're designed to waste ink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ
12 minute video to explain how water is wet. no kiddin

get a laser printer