Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Dang bruh

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Can confirm that is a big diamond

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Get in there with a soft-bristle toothbrush and some Dawn and clean that bad boy out to really make it shine.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Any of y'all had any experience using Tarn-X to clean diamonds? I was told by an experienced coworker that you can soak a piece for no more than a minute and it'll clear up some cloudiness and carbon from a burnt stone. Any more than a minute it'll eat away at any solder on the piece

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

Oops, I forgot to mention but I am at the Tucson gem show selling our wide range of exotic lab created gems at 22nd street, main tent booth c22.

any interesting info or new finds at the land of Tucson?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd love pics of the lab created neat stones you are selling. I'm not in Tucson either.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Another great year in Tucson, rough was seemingly more scarce but I made sure to pick up some synthetics at the turtle booth!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Seluin posted:

any interesting info or new finds at the land of Tucson?
Ethiopian opal prices are way down, half price or less for nice cabs and rough. Not much else different from last year but I have barely gotten to browse.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Another great year in Tucson, rough was seemingly more scarce but I made sure to pick up some synthetics at the turtle booth!
It was great to see you again! I hope I'll get to see what you do with the rough.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd love pics of the lab created neat stones you are selling. I'm not in Tucson either.
I should have more pictures but here are a couple

Our lineup of hyperfluorescent scintillator crystals grown for detecting radiation.

Some of the sample crystals/bits of bobs I use when talking about growth processes and such.

A small section of a sapphire crystal meant to be used on the F 35 that didn't meet spec (the entire ones are more like 200lb).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Our lineup of hyperfluorescent scintillator crystals grown for detecting radiation.

I'ma need you to learn me some more about these, cause I think I am in love now.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Scarodactyl posted:

I should have more pictures but here are a couple

Okay I have to ask... How durable is this stuff generally?

I've been asked to make a set of dice out of it at some point.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

shalafi4 posted:

Okay I have to ask... How durable is this stuff generally?

I've been asked to make a set of dice out of it at some point.
It is quite durable--hardness 8.5, no cleavage planes, not particularly chippy. Hedronrockworks has one in the queue.

I'ma need you to learn me some more about these, cause I think I am in love now.
Scintillator crystals are used to detect radiation like x-rays and gamma rays (cat scanners, pet scanners, digital xray machines). Making a direct detector is difficult and the radiation is pretty nasty so what they do instead is grow these crystals which are optimized to be as ridiculously fluorescent as possible and put them in front of a normal light sensor. When an x ray or gamma ray hits the prism the crystal absorbs it and lights up just like it dies under UV. The detector picks up the fluorescence. Some are nasty like thallium iodide but others like LuAG (lutetium aluminum garnet) and GAGG (gadolinium aluminum gallium garnet) are hard, durable crystals with great gem properties, and on top of that they're so sensitive that UV and even plain blue light activate them too. We have an ongoing deal with some of the growers to buy offcuts and pieces that don't meet spec.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I was wondering about the radiation detection in LuAG/GaGG: if you’re wearing jewelry with one of those gems in it, and you walk into an area that’s been contaminated with radiation, will they glow? Or is the kind of radiation that contaminates and kills people not the kind that triggers the glow? What I know about chemistry could fill a thimble, but I do like the idea that I have a magic radiation sniffer in my jewelry box.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Scarodactyl posted:

Some of the sample crystals/bits of bobs I use when talking about growth processes and such.

I'm a crystal newbie. What is the silver zeppelin-looking one and why does it look so different from the others?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I brought my Drake posted:

I'm a crystal newbie. What is the silver zeppelin-looking one and why does it look so different from the others?
That is an entire crystal of a laser garnet (called CTH:YAG). The metallic look is from some of the metal crucible ending up deposited on the surface, but held up to a light it is green.

These are grown by melting your desired material in a metal crucible and then dipping a seed crystal onto the surface of the melt. The melt sticks to it and you then slowly lift and twist, pulling the melt out. As the melt cools it crystallizes onto the seed, giving it that weird shape.

Nae posted:

I was wondering about the radiation detection in LuAG/GaGG: if you’re wearing jewelry with one of those gems in it, and you walk into an area that’s been contaminated with radiation, will they glow? Or is the kind of radiation that contaminates and kills people not the kind that triggers the glow? What I know about chemistry could fill a thimble, but I do like the idea that I have a magic radiation sniffer in my jewelry box.
It will light up with gamma rays, x rays and even alpha rays (somehow). So in theory it would work, but it would need to be pitch black since it's so reactive to the blue component of white light that there is a baseline glow, so the amount of extra glow to be eye visible might need to be at "far too late" levels.
That said there have been plans to potentially flood public spaces with eye- and skin-safe 222nm far UV light (kills bacteria and viruses but can't get in to eukaryote cells), and these crystals might work to detect that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you ever just slapped one down on a hot piece of uranium glass? I'd imagine it might look kinda neat in the dark.

Do you just sell the rough or do you also do the faceting?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have not tried, though I've thought about it. I think it would require pitch darkness and a long exposure.
We sell rough and cut stones.l and we're working on finished jewelry. I cut some myself but I am very slow and could never keep up with demand so we have most of them cut by others.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2024

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's the price normally on average run for a cut stone? I'm still very much in the planning stage of my budget, but more info is always welcome. It speaks to my inner lex luthor and the need to own a glowing green ring.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Scarodactyl posted:

It was great to see you again! I hope I'll get to see what you do with the rough.

Likewise and I’m stoked! I will certainly post pictures when it makes its way through the queue.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What's the price normally on average run for a cut stone? I'm still very much in the planning stage of my budget, but more info is always welcome. It speaks to my inner lex luthor and the need to own a glowing green ring.
We typically sell cut stones for 40/ct, it is dense stuff so a 4mm stone is about 0.5ct. I can give a bit of a goon discount though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's cool. If I'm thinking correctly I can actually afford something like an 8mm or so stone. Maybe bigger depending on how tacky I feel like being.

Like I said I'm still way in the beginning stages of getting the thing worked out but if you have some ring blanks that are ready to go, shoot me some pics and let's make some tacky jewelry happen.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Does it have the right properties to be faceted in the same shapes that diamond is done in? Bc a band with the gems inset like some women's wedding bands would be absolutely hilarious (and I would wear the hell out of it).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It can't be cut exactly the same way since it doesn't have quite as high a refractive index as diamond but it can be cut similarly.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

We typically sell cut stones for 40/ct, it is dense stuff so a 4mm stone is about 0.5ct. I can give a bit of a goon discount though.

Any chance of a goon discount on rough sometime ? :P

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

shalafi4 posted:

Any chance of a goon discount on rough sometime ? :P
Sure, shoot me a pm around the 20th when I'm back and settled in.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Is this $40 per carat?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Sure, shoot me a pm around the 20th when I'm back and settled in.

Will do.

Might be a little bit before I can pull the trigger on rough but I'll def PM you.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Nae posted:

Get in there with a soft-bristle toothbrush and some Dawn and clean that bad boy out to really make it shine.

Did this last night. I'm hoping they give it a professional level cleaning when I get appraised.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Looking good! A nice cleaning always helps a ring look its best, and any jeweler who takes your ring in will be able to steam clean it or shake the remaining dirt loose with an ultrasonic. They can repolish it, too, but you might have to pay and it’s not always in your best interest. Polishing removes metal, so you want to be careful polishing something that’s already thin. I know because I straight-up polished a hole in the bezel of an 18k gold ring, and I’m still furious about it.

On another side of the jewelry world, how was Tucson this year for those that went? I’ve read a little bit about how prices continue to rise, but that’s no shocker considering the state of the global economy. Any interesting sales or news from anyone here?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Nae posted:

Looking good! A nice cleaning always helps a ring look its best, and any jeweler who takes your ring in will be able to steam clean it or shake the remaining dirt loose with an ultrasonic. They can repolish it, too, but you might have to pay and it’s not always in your best interest. Polishing removes metal, so you want to be careful polishing something that’s already thin. I know because I straight-up polished a hole in the bezel of an 18k gold ring, and I’m still furious about it.

On another side of the jewelry world, how was Tucson this year for those that went? I’ve read a little bit about how prices continue to rise, but that’s no shocker considering the state of the global economy. Any interesting sales or news from anyone here?

There was a remarkable lack of good cutting rough, but other than that it seemed sort of par for the course. Saw some cool jewellery at the shine event and went to a great talk by Nolan Sponsler on fantasy cutting.

Prices are all over the place, tourmaline continues to be weirdly expensive, Ethiopian opal came wayyyy down. Montana sapphire continues its march upwards.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, as usual prices were up on everything except ethiopian opal. Sellers said it was overproduction. Rough that mcht have been 15-25 dollars a gram was 8 and down this year and way less with a larger parcel. I don't so much with opal anymore but I stoll bought a bunch.
Sales were similar to last year for us but the distribution was very different. Not sure what to make of that tbh.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have been working on this project for a while and finally got it launched!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHAOkxZidVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUgUSUG-KOQ

I'm not a very experienced gem faceter but because I'm on social media a lot of people have asked me how they can get started. The problem was I didn't have a good answer for people with a budget under ~3k. All the old starter machines (Lee, Graves, Sapphire etc) haven't been made for a long time, with only the more expensive brands (Ultra Tec, Facetron, Polymetric, Raytech) surviving. Raytech is probably the closest to an economical option but getting a new setup is still like 2500 dollars minimum and way up from there. If you aim for an overseas machine your options are either somewhat reputable but still fairly expensive (Sterling, various facetron clones, some Vietnamese machines) or very cheap and not actually fully functional (various Lee clones). For a long time the used market filled the gap but it has gotten crazy too--50 year old machines in dodgy condition are still getting high bids and there has been a rash of outright scams. And as a beginner you won't know enough to diagnose problems with a used machine if you get one. So basically you needed one of the following to get started: thousands of dollars, a friend or club with a machine you can learn on or a lot of luck.
So I figured the only option was to see if one of the ultra cheap machines could be made fully functional, and fortunately it turns out they can be. Older models have problems that require machining to solve but the newest one sold by Vevor has improved enough that I could design some parts and assemble a kit to make it work. With this kit you can start cutting for under 500 dollars. A couple people have already shown me their first stones cut on the setup which has been really fun.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Literally the only reason I haven’t given into the temptation to buy that kit and start yet another new hobby is that I have to move into an apartment for the next nine months, so you’d better keep selling these faceting kits until I get my house back! Seriously cool and I hope tons of people have already jumped on it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ditto.

I'm trying to dehoard my house and I need some place to be open for me to set that machine down. That'll take time.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks! The more I use the setup the more I like it--it'a not as good as my Ultra Tec but I just cut (most of) a ruby D20 on mine and it went fairly smoothly (as far as the machine was concerned anyway).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRNxVBLyW3o

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks! The more I use the setup the more I like it--it'a not as good as my Ultra Tec but I just cut (most of) a ruby D20 on mine and it went fairly smoothly (as far as the machine was concerned anyway).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRNxVBLyW3o

As someone who is a complete idiot at all of this, would you be willing to go into detail about what a higher-end model does better over the budget option? I'm hoping I can afford one of those kits some day soon but I'd be interested to know what using a more expensive model gets you.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The basic workflow is the same on a higher end mast style faceting machine like an Ultra Tec, but the details are all better. Things are machined true and everything can be trammed properly, the build is heftier so there is little to no flexing and there are other amenities like depth of cut indicators, vernier scales and/or digital angle displays that can give a much more precise readout on what angle you are at and whether you have cut all the facets in a tier to the same depth. You also have a much more precise and repeatable cheater--the one on the Vevor/Cutkit can be used but it was challenging on the big facets of the die, easy to go too far in one direction or other. Plus the motors tend to have more torque which is nice for cutting larger stones and polishing at slower speeds.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Gotcha, that all makes sense - I had figured that using digital measurements would be a huge improvement for sure, but I wasn't certain how different the mechanical versions would be from high to low end. Thank you very much for the rundown!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm down for more info about the kit and what starter machine to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm down for more info about the kit and what starter machine to buy.
You bet, what would you like to know?
Starter machines are a bit difficult these days which was the main impetus for the project. It used to be you could get a machine from the 50-70s like an MDR, Graves, Lee, Sapphire etc for peanuts to get started, or a really good machine like an Ultra Tec v2 in need of a little care for a reasonable price and have an excellent setup. Now v2s sell for thousands on eBay, Graveses are getting lots of bids and I even see people asking several hundred for roached Lees. Deals still appear but they are rarer, and recently someone has been operating a fairly organized scam posting fake deals on facebook.
Personally I bought uh, four machines before I actually got started, in various states of ill-advisment (though before most of the price inflation fortunately). I got two raytechs (one functional machine total which I still never managed a full stone on probably because of an aligment issue), a Chinese jamb peg setup from a guy who was also trying to make an affordable setup but couldn't get it to work, and an old Polymetric which is really nice aside from a critical issue that lets it freely rotate the entire head for some reason(?). All that and I only properly cut a stone after a friend sold me a known good machine and another held my hand through buying practical laps and cutting a stone.
Basically I want people to have an easier way to start than that. Once you know how to cut and have used a basic setup you're in a much better position to evaluate a machine if and when you want to upgrade too.