Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Xun posted:

I've been struggling with this stupid quartz for ages. Spent 30 minutes trying to polish one facet only for it to scratch at the very end. gently caress this I'm buying a new 1200 lap for quartzes

I don't cut quartz for this reason, tried it once and was like "nope, never again!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Xun posted:

It's a random piece of synthetic "sky blue" quartz I got that actually looks just white in person. My 1200 lap scratches the poo poo out of it and tbh its pretty scratchy on harder stones too. Sometimes the facets barely look better than my 600 lap, I thought it just wasn't broken in but I've used it on multiple stones at this point and it still sucks
Ever hear of 'shitrine'? It's a particular batch if synthetic citrine that went around the market for a bit which was famous for being almost impossible to polish. You could identify it because heating it turned it blue (due to cobalt doping for...some reason?)
Point is some quartz, and especially some synthetic quartz, is just that way inherently.
Your time is really too valuable to fight with uncooperative material anyway. Or with synthetic quartz in general. If you want to do some quartz richly colored natural amethyst is still inexpensive but the end result with precision cutting has a great multiplier on value. Or if you want something weirder, some nice lavender quartz with that opalescent translucency also rarely fails to hit.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Ever hear of 'shitrine'? It's a particular batch if synthetic citrine that went around the market for a bit which was famous for being almost impossible to polish. You could identify it because heating it turned it blue (due to cobalt doping for...some reason?)
Point is some quartz, and especially some synthetic quartz, is just that way inherently.
Your time is really too valuable to fight with uncooperative material anyway. Or with synthetic quartz in general. If you want to do some quartz richly colored natural amethyst is still inexpensive but the end result with precision cutting has a great multiplier on value. Or if you want something weirder, some nice lavender quartz with that opalescent translucency also rarely fails to hit.

Yeah, but this particular 1200 does that on like CZ and corundums too I'd actually love to get my hands on some rose de France amethyst or a pretty rose quartz, but since I've moved to europe I haven't really looked at what online rough vendors are around. Was hoping to hit up a gemshow or two at least but yay covid

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

What's a reasonable price for a 16" 3mm domed omega sterling silver necklace? The one I got back in the 90s finally broke, and I need a replacement.

I see prices from $30-$90 on Amazon. I would prefer to shop at an actual jewelry store, but the good local one just closed so I'll need to drive a while or order online. I would also prefer not to buy from Amazon but I'm not sure where to look online either.

Any ideas?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

effika posted:

What's a reasonable price for a 16" 3mm domed omega sterling silver necklace? The one I got back in the 90s finally broke, and I need a replacement.

I see prices from $30-$90 on Amazon. I would prefer to shop at an actual jewelry store, but the good local one just closed so I'll need to drive a while or order online. I would also prefer not to buy from Amazon but I'm not sure where to look online either.

Any ideas?

Have a picture?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Have a picture?

It's not in great shape and I think multiple links are near failure, but here!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Sun was shining so I took a photo of the rutilated quartz and gold pendant I got for my wife from a local jeweller a couple of years ago. It's about an inch and a half long but I need to get the mounts adjusted as it tends to hang to the side when worn.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Rutilated quartz is amazing stuff.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Lovely picture!

And +1 to rutilated quartz being beautiful stuff.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

effika posted:

It's not in great shape and I think multiple links are near failure, but here!

Sorry I totally spaced on this! I'd say amazon is an okay bet. If you can get to a local place that's great, but they'll be ordering it in from somewhere else.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

I wound up with the $27 Amazon option just to see, and it's probably OK? At least for now, for what I use it for. I do wish I knew what was actually going on with the huge price spread, though!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Got a new 1200 lap and I'm about to start polishing attempt #3 on this lovely loving quartz. I don't think I could give it a better starting point so if this doesn't work I'm gona give up lol

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

effika posted:

I wound up with the $27 Amazon option just to see, and it's probably OK? At least for now, for what I use it for. I do wish I knew what was actually going on with the huge price spread, though!

My guess is just different companies having different profit margins, you'll probably be fine!

Xun posted:

Got a new 1200 lap and I'm about to start polishing attempt #3 on this lovely loving quartz. I don't think I could give it a better starting point so if this doesn't work I'm gona give up lol

Quartz can die in a fire! What kind of lap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Quartz can die in a fire! What kind of lap?

I got a 1200 lightning lap topper, it's definitely leaving a much smoother finish than my metal 1200 so fingers crossed lol