Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sorry to necro the thread, but someone suggested in Stupid/Small Question that I might try here. Crosspostin' myself:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hoping one of you folks could tell me what this carved pig is made out of?

He's about 6 in/15cm and weighs in at 3lb/1.2kg. Fairly polished, but not super-glossy.

I have no idea where or when it's from, though he's got a circle carved on his forehead like a bindi or a Buddha third eye kind of thing.

Appreciate any thoughts!

edit: for more pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Could be nephrite/jadeite, I've seen it that color before (search for white or pink jade or nephrite to see examples). Whatever it is, it has very very fine grain, which makes it harder to identify from a photo. Some variety of marble is definitely possible.

this is jade, for example:

Ah, see, that's what I was told by the friend who gave it to me, but then searching for more info on jadeite/nephrite kept giving me the classic dark green color.

I used to casually collect gems and minerals, but I needed a refresher on how luster is defined. After a crash internet course, I would definitely say Mr. Pig is greasy luster, which matches those minerals. My pics suck; Leperflesh's is more accurate to what a well-lit pic of this fella would look like, including the luster.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

There's also plenty of fake stuff masquerading as jade out there, but the weight you reported implies this probably isn't plastic or resin. If you feel like making sure, you can try a scratch test on maybe the underside of a pig foot or something, and you can check the exact density by discovering its volume (use a measuring cup and water, and check the water volume with and without the pig fully immersed). Should be in the range of 2.9-3.3, which covers both nephrite and jadeite.

Does the pig have to pretend to pull her hair back before the water weighing?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, Mr. Pig is definitely stone, I already gave a little scratch test in his armpit for that.. Appreciate the heads up, though, and I might still do the water weigh if that'll tell me if it's jade/jadeite/nephrite? Were those ranges you gave specific to jade, or just "it's a rock and not Bakelite"?