Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I've picked up some vintage swarovski UG glass facets I'd like to use in jewelry. I've done research on settings, but is there a tool to help size smaller round gems? I have a bunch of teeny rounds but my eyes just aren't good enough when it gets down to points. Maybe some kind of... plate with holes? I don't know.
little hoard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Tunicate posted:

usually calipers

Thanks, is there a particular kind I should look for?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Wondering if I can get a recommendation for what type of piercing saw blades I should be using as I've had a difficult time googling it - I'm working with antler and not metal, just breaking it down into smaller pieces, not doing anything super intricate.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

For slicing up stones I use a ring saw by Gemini. It's a super cool saw where the blade has no center, just a rim and is driven from below by a belt. This reduces drag, allows finer control of curves and has much more cutting height per saw diameter than one that has to have a hub in the center. Plus it's water cooled so no worries on cutting turquoise or opals. I don't know if that's at all applicable for your situation but it's the saw I know and like.

Unfortunately way out of my budget/space requirements. The heaviest power tool I use is a dremel.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

How does it compare to the glow of uranium glass? I have some lovely big faceted ug jewels I keep meaning to use for something.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Can you dm me some prices on the rough you have left? No guarantee it's in my budget but sounds interesting and I'd love to get my hands on a piece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Anyone catch styropyro's new video on YouTube today? Angry Turtle's shop got a brief cameo after his horrifying uranium recipe (as in "don't do this, go buy this instead, it's cooler!").