Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
To be brief, I worked for two years reasonably near Atlanta in two different towns, namely Athens and Carrollton, then left for two years. A very short while ago, I received a job offer where I will be splitting time to some degree between Dahlonega and Gainesville, with the former probably being the primary work location. I have very little time, but my housing search so far has been very discouraging. Even though it's not dramatically closer to the overpriced misery of Atlanta than the previous two towns, the cost of rentals in Dahlonega is obscene for a town of no more than 7,000 people. In addition, there's hardly anything left so late and a lot of properties seem to be No Pets even though Athens and Carrollton were very welcoming to my two beloved cats. While I'm getting at minimum a 15%+ increase in salary from Carrollton, I don't want to spend it all on rent, especially since my needs are modest. Things seem slightly better in Gainesville, but that means more commuting, but I had the though that perhaps living somewhere roughly equidistant between the two would be a good compromise.

Any thoughts, tips, or advice to finding modest, affordable housing? I'm *very* short on time and depressed to think that my hard-earned increase in wages will all be gobbled up by the predatory artificial scarcity of the housing market because I had the nerve to to take a job somewhere sort of vaguely near a huge city that I will probably never visit. I fancied that it would be worth it to see if there was some way to box clever. I'm perfectly content to live modestly as I have before, I just would like to be able to put more into savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You're probably going to spend most, if not all, of it on rent. Those areas have gone nuts. I'm sorry. Maybe look for a room rather than an apartment to give yourself some more time?