Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

DancingShade posted:

I have a solution to this as well. You have to transport the blade to get it home in the first place right? Unless the house has an on-site forge and the owner made their own swords then clearly they've violated the law and carried a blade in public to get them home.

No further evidence needed, toss them into the clink.

Maybe they can allow it if the blade is locked in a safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
But I have all these vegetables I need to separate into palatable chunks op :negative:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

But I have all these vegetables I need to separate into palatable chunks op :negative:

Sorry the law says It's safer to shove them up your rear end

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Want to chop up that carrot? I hope you've sufficiently developed your anal muscles to snap it off in whatever sizes you need.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The Protagonist posted:

You should leave that to the licenced professionals. Pre-cut vegetables are already widely available.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Shyamalan'd bitches, I don't actually have any fresh vegetables in the house and tear apart the rotisserie chickens I subsist upon by hand

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JK Fresco posted:

You should leave that to the licenced professionals. Pre-cut vegetables are already widely available.

Nice food factory you have here guvnor. Meat & veg pies is it? Mind if I see your deadly weapons permit? All your workers got one?

Oh no permit Mister Smith? Right you're nicked.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
If you really need something cut, take it to your local greengrocer or post-office. They will do a far better job cutting it up for you anyway.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/MPSBarnet/status/976007945094909952

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
The dreaded pitchfork, bane of many a sheriff or creature

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

without pitchforks the proles can't rise up and drag the lord from his manor and tear him and his family to shreds

is this what you really want, UK?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

This can't be real. I'm being trolled.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

without pitchforks the proles can't rise up and drag the lord from his manor and tear him and his family to shreds

is this what you really want, UK?

Why do you think they banned all their guns, right about after the Russian Revolution?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

idgi why don't people in the UK just carry guns to protect from knife attacks? What a strange place.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's time to being back renaissance armor so folks can protect themselves from gardening equipment.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

my dog died im sad posted:

This can't be real. I'm being trolled.

this is what happens when you successfully disarm a population and then instruct the cops to disarm them more

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Did glassing ever stop? Can you carry a brick around? How bout a bat? I don't know if I see the logic.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

As someone from the UK, knife crime is pretty drat common here in the big cities sadly but yea this is all pretty stupid, like no one in UK gangs is stabbing people with garden shears etc, knifes are super easy to get hold of so what would be the point? They dont confiscate stuff like shears off people though (unless they were clearly in a gang I guess), this is just stuff they've found looking through bushes etc. It's sadly because like all police forces in the world they get a quota they have to fill so these fall into it and they can get a nice pat on the back, just like how US police have their daily harass a black man quota.

Though honestly if you live in a city in any country in the world, what reason do you even have to carry like a full on Rambo knife or whatever? I've lived in some really bad places in London where robberies weren't that uncommon if you ventured into the wrong estates etc but I wouldnt ever carry a knife if it was legal because all you're doing is escalating a situation that's going to end in you dead. Almost all the knife crime in this country is sadly gang on gang violence with young black males and it's a serious problem that doesn't look like it's going away.

You can own at home pretty much any knife you want you just can't walk around in public with a machete down your trousers or whatever, and if it's something you need for work or it's a tool like a pen knife or whatever those are legal to carry in the UK.

edit: England is definitely a nanny state, though I think the knife laws are fairly understandable given the state of things atm, but it is also a lazy way for the government to not address the root cause of the problems

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 27, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Just Chamber posted:

As someone from the UK, knife crime is pretty drat common here in the big cities sadly but yea this is all pretty stupid, like no one in UK gangs is stabbing people with garden shears etc, knifes are super easy to get hold of so what would be the point? They dont confiscate stuff like shears off people though (unless they were clearly in a gang I guess), this is just stuff they've found looking through bushes etc. It's sadly because like all police forces in the world they get a quota they have to fill so these fall into it and they can get a nice pat on the back, just like how US police have their daily harass a black man quota.

Though honestly if you live in a city in any country in the world, what reason do you even have to carry like a full on Rambo knife or whatever? I've lived in some really bad places in London where robberies weren't that uncommon if you ventured into the wrong estates etc but I wouldnt ever carry a knife if it was legal because all you're doing is escalating a situation that's going to end in you dead. Almost all the knife crime in this country is sadly gang on gang violence with young black males and it's a serious problem that doesn't look like it's going away.

You can own at home pretty much any knife you want you just can't walk around in public with a machete down your trousers or whatever, and if it's something you need for work or it's a tool like a pen knife or whatever those are legal to carry in the UK.

edit: England is definitely a nanny state, though I think the knife laws are fairly understandable given the state of things atm, but it is also a lazy way for the government to not address the root cause of the problems

I get this. Question though can a cop stop me if he sees a pitchfork or big bladed tree saw sticking out of my truck driving home from Home Depot? I doubt it. Seems like a lot of shrieking over nothing. Has there been any civil liberty cases filed? Asking brits.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

JK Fresco posted:

Why do you think they banned all their guns, right about after the Russian Revolution?

I say it's time to bring back the longbow.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

that rant by trey and matt in Team America World Police about dicks, pussies, and assholes, but instead of a disposable comedy bit it's the basis for a legit religious text

e' wt6rong threabd!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Be on the look out for these two dangerous gang leaders:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

gleebster posted:

Be on the look out for these two dangerous gang leaders:

So it was the Scots all along, I knew it.

Realpest
Jul 26, 2019

DancingShade posted:

How long before the UK gov orders all citizens to turn in all their dangerous cutlery and mandate people can only possess plastic picnicware for their home dining needs?

Hang on guvnor, is that a metal spoon I see? Right you're nicked.

That would conflict with the environmentals that want to ban plastic. Can't choke the turtles and sea life, ya know?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Burt Sexual posted:

I get this. Question though can a cop stop me if he sees a pitchfork or big bladed tree saw sticking out of my truck driving home from Home Depot? I doubt it. Seems like a lot of shrieking over nothing. Has there been any civil liberty cases filed? Asking brits.

Nope. Those are perfectly legal to own. All tools are fine and legal here. If you were walking down a crowded street taking a pitchfork home you just bought you might possibly get a wandering policeman asking you to like put a bag over the end or something so it's not gonna poke someone accidentally, but that's unlikely, if you were like being really suspicious lurking outside a place for ages holding one or lets be honest were black, in a group and wearing a hoodie you'd probably get a lot more grief, like asking if you just bought it and are taking it straight home etc.

Some of it comes down to I think the polices discretion. So it's not illegal for you to be holding some keys, but if they arrive on the scene and you had the keys in between your knuckles well that's going to be classed as an offensive weapon and you're getting in some sort of trouble.

Pretty much the majority of things you arent allowed to be carrying out in public are things you'd have no other use for but to use as a weapon. So knifes over a certain amount of inches long (4 maybe?), flick knifes or any knife that has a spring load in it that you can just press a button and have it out in a second, because the only use there is to surprise someone/ get a knife out quick in a knife fight i guess, something like a bat is legal but if you put a nail through said bat and carried that around in public you're getting busted. Again things can get classed as an offensive weapon if the police think you're intending to do something criminal with it, so you can carry a hand axe around the woods or whatever, but if you're walking down the street brandishing one on a busy high road when you could just have put it in your bag they'll stop you and question you.

Pretty much any weapon is legal here to own at home though, as long as it isn't a gun. So you can have all the swords and knifes you want in your house, though if they stopped you and found a 7 inch kitchen knife in your bag while you're wandering down the street late at night you're in trouble unless you're like a chef and can prove you had to carry said knife from A to B.

Not sure about any civil liberties cases so far, but I do know there's been a lot of backlash from the black community or other POC communities for the disproportionate amount of times they are stopped and searched on suspicious they might be carrying knifes etc.

Again like anything whether it be drugs, gun violence, knife violence etc, the police sadly focus too hard on the tools rather than the causes.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 27, 2019

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Owlbear Camus posted:

this is what happens when you successfully disarm a population and then instruct the cops to disarm them more
It's possible to not carry around guns and knives (as weapons) and also not go around proudly confiscating screwdrivers and gardening tools. This is actually how most countries work.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thank you

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
They're still tyring to catch that jack ripper guy?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

no they gav eup a bit ago

e; he's an artist that moved ot france

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Julius CSAR posted:

They're still tyring to catch that jack ripper guy?

They call me Jack the Ripper cuz all I do is JACK OFF n take FAT BONG RIPS all day!!

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Oh no some Brit snapped and we went on a knife rampage, early reports are that four victims were mildly inconvenienced and a fifth victim was treated at the scene

Unless fifteen people were mowed down by automatic rifle fire in public the headline doesnt even register as worth my time

:911: greatest country on earth

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 27, 2019

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

Oh no some Brit snapped and we went on a knife rampage, early reports are that four victims were mildly inconvenienced and a fifth victim was treated at the scene

Unless fifteen people were mowed down by automatic rifle fire in public the headline doesnt even register as worth my time

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/33-dead-130-injured-china-knife-wielding-spree-n41966

what about 33 stabbed to death?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Good job UK government. I don't trust any of your citizens either.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Don’t mind me officer, this wakazashi is just part of my uniform. I’m a samurai, you see... the last samurai.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Counts as professional tools, should be allowed for ronin

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I carry a huge dagger with an ivory handle in a rhino horn scabbard. It's so overwhelmingly illegal that the average London bobby can't handle it

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah he could stop you, but so long as you had a legit reason for having said items he'd just let you carry on.

I've not been pulled over, but did get a housecall for something similar about 10 or so years ago. It was halloween, I was gonna go to a party as a pirate, so I headed into town to buy costume items, one of which was a plastic cutlass. I rode a motorbike at the time, and the limited space of my backpack meant that the cutlass handle was poking out the top of the bag. No big deal, it's zipped up tight around it. Off I ride, and 15 minutes later I'm home. 5 minutes after that I get a knock at the door and am greeted by two of cops.

:cop: Excuse me, are you the owner of [motorbike reg]?
:pirate: ...yeah
:cop: And have you been riding today, recently?
:pirate: Er yeah, I just drove home (ohfuckIwasspeedingtheyclockedme)
:cop: It's just we've had a report of something suspicious
:pirate: Suspicious...?
:cop: Yes, carrying something suspicious. Do you have any idea what that might be?
:pirate: (at this point the penny drops, I retrieve the plastic cutlass and bring it to the door) Could it be this?
:cop: A plastic sword... and this is for a costume I take it?
:pirate: Yes. Because it's halloween tomorrow.
:cop: Sorry to have bothered you.

I still laugh at the idea someone had that I was about to go Road Rash on the local populace.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

935 posted:

You've had since 1776 to figure out the difference between an automatic rifle, a semi-automatic rifle, and a semi-automatic pistol (which is responsible for 95% of the murder in the states) and you still haven't figured out the mechanisms of simple tools

More British people a year die from choking on food than there are Americans killed by automatic rifles

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

extra stout posted:

You've had since 1776 to figure out the difference between an automatic rifle, a semi-automatic rifle, and a semi-automatic pistol (which is responsible for 95% of the murder in the states) and you still haven't figured out the mechanisms of simple tools

More British people a year die from choking on food than there are Americans killed by automatic rifles

To be fair, we're not a nation of gun nuts so it's understandable that we wouldn't really know the difference between the various different types of killing machines that you guys adore.