Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

boo_radley posted:

... Man, I wonder what his blood type is? Gecko is probably the most useful hero with "real world" applications. No more organ donor shortages, every 45 year old dude gets a full head of hair, etc etc etc.

This gets into one of the "problems with super heroes if they were real" that watchmen and boys don't seem to touch on, but seems like a big obvious deal to me and part of why its always just power fantasy;

If you legitimately had the powers of a superhero, would there not be a massive burden on your shoulders to work 24/7?

If you had Gecko powers, and you could regenerate skin, wouldn't that create a nightmare horror scenario where you're literally being tortured 24/7 as your skin and organs are repeatedly removed over and over?

If you ever decide, "hey guys, I'm gonna take a vacation and spend a week in Disneyland" well, hundreds of people are now going to DIE because you're choosing to relax.

This is also true of like Superman/Homelander, like if you can legitimately hear Lois Lane screaming for help from miles away, then that means you're hearing people in distress every second of every day, and you're basically choosing to ignore most of them.

"with great power comes great responsibility" taken to its absurd extreme

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I read it partly as a sight gag pointing out how silly Batman would be if he ever operated in the daytime.

:lol: very true

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Tenzarin posted:

Super boring episode, they have the super heroes act in all their movies also? That's pretty lame.

It's gotta be the cheapest, realest laser and strength and flight special effects available.

(Translucent always used a green-screen suited stand-in, of course.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah season 2 is definitely on a shoestring SFX budget (probably because cast salaries go up), and at this point it's noticeable that they're avoiding showing any fight scenes. Probably costs a lotta dough to get martial artists

Season 2 is absolutely better than Season 1 though

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they mean that having actual superheros in movies would save a lot on sfx budget.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Season three of Kipo is looking great.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Romes128 posted:

I think they mean that having actual superheros in movies would save a lot on sfx budget.

Oh jeez, missed that entirely.

Yeah I wonder if the "supe characters are played by actual supes!" is viewed the same way that we view "Keanu Reeves does his own stunts!!!" Like it's sort of neat but mostly people just like the movies & the celebs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah season 2 is definitely on a shoestring SFX budget (probably because cast salaries go up), and at this point it's noticeable that they're avoiding showing any fight scenes. Probably costs a lotta dough to get martial artists

Homelander-Stormfront Fight-loving doesn't count?

There was definitely a lot of SFX in each episode IDK

Some of y'all are really hard to please, that episode was great

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

This gets into one of the "problems with super heroes if they were real" that watchmen and boys don't seem to touch on, but seems like a big obvious deal to me and part of why its always just power fantasy;

If you legitimately had the powers of a superhero, would there not be a massive burden on your shoulders to work 24/7?

If you had Gecko powers, and you could regenerate skin, wouldn't that create a nightmare horror scenario where you're literally being tortured 24/7 as your skin and organs are repeatedly removed over and over?

If you ever decide, "hey guys, I'm gonna take a vacation and spend a week in Disneyland" well, hundreds of people are now going to DIE because you're choosing to relax.

This is also true of like Superman/Homelander, like if you can legitimately hear Lois Lane screaming for help from miles away, then that means you're hearing people in distress every second of every day, and you're basically choosing to ignore most of them.

"with great power comes great responsibility" taken to its absurd extreme

Eh, isn't this true about almost everyone? Most people don't become social workers or nurses or firefighters. It could be wrong to be a computer programmer or an investment banker or a boat salesman if you could have done anything else but it doesn't seem to consume a huge amount of anyone's thoughts. Maybe they give to charity or church and that makes them a good person. Regeneration just means you occasionally give out a liver, lung, or an eye to a particularly sad case.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Fight-loving

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Tenzarin posted:

Super boring episode, they have the super heroes act in all their movies also? That's pretty lame.

The heroes are shown to be more about PR stunts/Movies/Merch/Commercials/etc. than fighting crime or upholding justice

They're celebrities that occasionally fight crime (to appear on the news)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Others have asked and answered this question: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

It also bothers me that Zach didn't add another panel suggesting that they make him pedal a bike as well before they hit "Peak Superman."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 18, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Eh, isn't this true about almost everyone? Most people don't become social workers or nurses or firefighters. It could be wrong to be a computer programmer or an investment banker or a boat salesman if you could have done anything else but it doesn't seem to consume a huge amount of anyone's thoughts. Maybe they give to charity or church and that makes them a good person. Regeneration just means you occasionally give out a liver, lung, or an eye to a particularly sad case.

Yeah but a single person's impact on the world as one firefighter isn't that massive.

If you're literally the only human being who can fly and move buildings or regenerate organs, that's a completely different situation. One that we don't have to deal with because nobody IRL can do anything close to that. We're all a mass of commoners, not a few superhumans.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Others have asked and answered this question: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

Ah yes, I remember this one :)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ZZZorcerer posted:

The heroes are shown to be more about PR stunts/Movies/Merch/Commercials/etc. than fighting crime or upholding justice

They're celebrities that occasionally fight crime (to appear on the news)

The "starlight vs the rapists" scene in season 1 also explains that. The rapists were instantly on the "press charges" bandwagon

If they actually go and fight crime it's a huge liability

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But where would the caloric foodstuffs come from, that can provide this much energy to Superman?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, I'm pretty sure that *is* Gecko's "lab" job - giving skin grafts and organs to ultra-rich people and influential politicians and their families. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a guy who spent his adolescence 'fighting crime' probably isn't a Biology/Pharma PhD.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That raises another subject, "what happens if war breaks out and there are superheroes?" which watchmen DOES address.

The Boys has so far had a kinda America vs Terrorism thing as its focus... but you'd imagine that China and Russia would be losing their poo poo trying to steal compound V from the Americans, right?

No mention so far of Chinese superheroes.

I guess Vought could be completely international and so only off-the-grid terrorists are really their opponents? But then that creates a conflict of interest if they're partnering with the US Army and also other foreign powers... seems like it should come up.

But I guess with the focus on Boys v Homelander we don't have time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm reminded of the human torch in the Venture Bros., whose in constant agony when he's on fire but forced into it to power a building anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But where would the caloric foodstuffs come from, that can provide this much energy to Superman?

Uh, hello, superman gets his energy from the sun.

He's a plant.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PostNouveau posted:

I'm reminded of the human torch in the Venture Bros., whose in constant agony when he's on fire but forced into it to power a building anyway.

Reminds me of Control, and how the Director's main job is to keep the lights on

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, hello, superman gets his energy from the sun.

He's a plant.

Vash the Stampede would like to know your location

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

This episode was great and this show is the best prestige TV show airing right now, I'm enjoying all of it, even the more ham-fisted swipes at bougie corporate culture continue to delight me. I guess I am not a complicated man.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Bioshuffle posted:

There's no doubt at all what so ever now that Stormfront is straight up a racist troll, but has there been any indications that she is affiliated with the Nazis?

I love that she trolls everyone when she is on screen. Definitely one of my favorite villains. I loved that she deliberately tilts her cup to make the annoying slurpy sound while trolling A-Train. She knows exactly what it takes to push people's buttons and she's not afraid to do it. It's basically the best.

I love her perpetual smirk.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wanna know what it's like to shoot a sex scene on wires with no pants.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

AtraMorS posted:

I'm not going to rewatch it right now, but I bet that the kid's toy in the early episode was a Vought-branded product. In which case, he wasn't interacting with the child; he was loving advertising.

Looks like a generic bunny/teddy monstrosity.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Also minor comic spoiler I guess but the congressman's name is Victoria Neuman, like "Vic the Veep" Neuman? Can't tell if that's something they're gonna actually incorporate or if it's just a little easter egg.

That Congresswoman couldnt have been more of an AOC parody if they tried.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What a cingresawo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I dunno the SFX seem just as good if not better than season 1 imo.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That Congresswoman couldnt have been more of an AOC parody if they tried.

Its only a parody if they're making fun of her.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

loving pastiche

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I bet Starr loved every minute of that scene :allears:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

ynohtna posted:

It's gotta be the cheapest, realest laser and strength and flight special effects available.

(Translucent always used a green-screen suited stand-in, of course.)

Translucent was definitely there in person. You know he was there on set, wandering around naked and invisible messing with people.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Alchenar posted:

Its only a parody if they're making fun of her.
They were definitely mocking her. She makes a huge scene about how she will hold him accountable. Once he actually shows up in person, she does a complete 180, basically demonstrating to the whole world she is all talk and no walk. Also, he makes fun of her dance video.

Props to that one veteran guy for actually standing up to him.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Reminds me of Control, and how the Director's main job is to keep the lights on

This is one of those sentences that's totally different without context. I appreciate you.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

itry posted:

I bet Starr loved every minute of that scene :allears:

Living out every father's dream.

Having a child with Shantel Van Santen.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Bioshuffle posted:

They were definitely mocking her. She makes a huge scene about how she will hold him accountable. Once he actually shows up in person, she does a complete 180, basically demonstrating to the whole world she is all talk and no walk. Also, he makes fun of her dance video.

Props to that one veteran guy for actually standing up to him.

Mods, change this guy's name to Translucent.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

I kinda agree. We get it, you're obnoxious and we're not supposed to like you. Homelander's terrible and murderous and awful in every way but still manages to be entertaining to watch.

I believe that they were referring to Starlight and not Stormfront. I think?

I do agree with your view that Stormfront is really irritating. It's a testament to Cash's acting skill for sure, but the relentless smugness gets kind of tedious and predictable.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Antony Starr is rail-thin in real life so in addition to the pube smash someone definitely had to spend hours of SFX work fleshing out his naked thighs and rear end so they didn't look comically tiny compared to his muscle-suited upper body.

No appreciation for the real heroes.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

rail-thin in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes.