Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

nooneofconsequence posted:

This is an impressively bad thread.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

IMDB credits a man as playing Love Sausage next episode

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wonder if Amazon is seeing the hype they hoped for with the weekly releases.

Everyone I know is enjoying the season, but nobody is discussing it on social media because the world is a gently caress. It definitely ain't trending like GOT.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The weekly release poo poo is whack

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah there's no water coolers anymore and online discussions always suck so there's no point to weekly releases

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jabby posted:

That's kinda my point. She didn't need to actually grow up during WWII to be a racist, and we don't need an actual historical Nazi to spread racism in our current time. It's all happening now, without the need for suspension of disbelief.

"People like Stormfront" is exactly it. There are no people like her, because she's a time-travelling 40's Nazi. Make her a common racist and there's plenty of people like her.

Sure if you take it 100% literally, but there are no super heroes in the real world either. So let us take it a bit more figuratively.

Stormfront represents the nazi ideals and views; they went into hiding ages ago and laid low but in recent years have resurfaced and become very loud, prominent and concerningly supported by the angry populace who are scared and don't know where else to turn when this figure steps up telling them they're great and they deserve everything and that every problem in their life is because of other people. She is the modern alt-right nazi beliefs, a revival of the old beliefs in a new presentation that sways people by shouting aloud the things they desperately want to be true even if every facet of reality says it isn't.

And homelander? Well he's good old American Exceptionalism. He's great because people tell him he's great, even though every single thing about him is utterly fake and entirely driven by capitalism; from his very concept and history to his personality and name. He isn't who, or what, he says he is - but if enough people say he is then he is; and they have been since his birth and any time someone begins to realize he might not be, that makes him very mad. So he's the greatest! He's Homelander! Everyone knows who homelander is and that homelander is great because he's homelander and he's the greatest! Ignore the fact that his only strength is a literal brute strength, people only tolerate him out of fear because they have no idea if he's going to go nuclear at the smallest slight or provocation and it doesn't matter if you're his ally or his enemy because whoever, or whatever, is flipping the switches in his brain doesn't seem to be working very well. But he seems to conflate that fear with respect and love well enough, so as long as the rest of the world fears him he's fine to call it love and respect and the only thing that matters is that everyone else shows it to him.

And then the obvious happens: they gently caress. They gently caress real hard.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sorry nerds, I took a bit of a break from the forum today!

Going forward, debating whether or not Stormfront is or was literally a member of the Nazi party, or is simply an incredibly racist person, will earn probes. If Bioshuffle raises that argument again, and you do not want to get slapped with a drag queen and a sixer alongside them, just report the post and move on. Engaging with Bioshuffle on that take is pointless-- though I do want to give props to the posters I glimpsed calmly backing up why, exactly, she probably is an actual Nazi with reasoning from the show itself. Like I said last time, if Bioshuffle is going to dig their own grave trying to derail the thread with that repetitive argument, let them do it on their own! If they continue to try and stir the pot with it, there will be a poll going up with their next probe for everyone to vote on a threadban.

Honestly, Bioshuffle, at this point I can't really give you the benefit of the doubt any more. You have to know you're antagonizing posters in this thread. If people continue to attack you when you're not outright attacking them, they will be probed. But you will also be probed and possibly permanently removed from the thread if you continue to drop posts that you know do not fly with the majority of posters discussing this show. I would rather not have to remove you outright, since you clearly have been enjoying the show and talking about other aspects of it. You should be able to do that here, but you need to adjust how you do it if the current track you're taking keeps bringing so much heat and making the thread unenjoyable for everyone else. Just accept that your take is an incredibly unpopular one and keep it to yourself. It will be an incredible gotcha moment for you later if for some crazy reason the show decides to spell out that Stormfront is not, in fact, a literal Nazi. Since that almost definitely isn't happening, though, it would be best for you to just drop the matter entirely.

I want to thank the thread for the general patience on the matter, and apologize if it seems like I'm taking forever. I know it can be frustrating if it seems like the mods aren't doing anything to get rid of a bad egg in a thread. I try to let the posters of TVIV run wild and free, and only hand out harsh punishments for pointedly harmful and heinous things, or when a poster continually refuses to change to solve an easily avoidable problem. This is 100% Bioshuffle's final warning on the matter, so anybody who wants them gone just know that they will be permanently removed from this thread-- and any threads for The Boys going forward-- if it continues.

Anyway, all that said, I am definitely changing the thread title to this:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Boys Season 2: Not all Nazis wear capes.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 20, 2020

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I want for Antony Starr's muscle suit to also be Homelander's muscle suit. Never made sense why someone who could walk unperturbed through solid steel needs big guns.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Disappointed that the speech scene was fake out. :(

Edit.
S is not spoiler

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bedshaped posted:

I want for Antony Starr's muscle suit to also be Homelander's muscle suit. Never made sense why someone who could walk unperturbed through solid steel needs big guns.

I hope so too, it would make so much sense with the character.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah there's no water coolers anymore and online discussions always suck so there's no point to weekly releases

There’s also no more production for the foreseeable future so studios have to stretch out releases until
they can get the machine rolling again.

Viewer attention is competing with the apocalypse so studios are going bridge out the product. Gamble that viewers will catch on or be eclipsed by the weekly horrors.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 20, 2020

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

How would Homelander actually build muscle anyway, benching buildings?

On that note it'll be interesting to see the limits of Homelander's power. Obviously his emotional state is his main weakness, but given we know he can attenuate his laser eyes (warming up the milk) I wonder if he's held back up until now, even with Stormfront.

Come to think of it we haven't really seen the limits of anyone's power, as in they've never really been in obvious peril. We know now that even Kimiko is straight up bulletproof.

I can't see Stormfront surviving past the end of this season, unless she becomes some ultimate "big bad", because she is utterly irredeemable. So is Homelander, really, but man he's so drat captivating I can't imagine the show working on any level without him.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

esperterra posted:

Sorry nerds, I took a bit of a break from the forum today!

Going forward, debating whether or not Stormfront is or was literally a member of the Nazi party, or is simply an incredibly racist person, will earn probes. If Bioshuffle raises that argument again, and you do not want to get slapped with a drag queen and a sixer alongside them, just report the post and move on. Engaging with Bioshuffle on that take is pointless-- though I do want to give props to the posters I glimpsed calmly backing up why, exactly, she probably is an actual Nazi with reasoning from the show itself. Like I said last time, if Bioshuffle is going to dig their own grave trying to derail the thread with that repetitive argument, let them do it on their own! If they continue to try and stir the pot with it, there will be a poll going up with their next probe for everyone to vote on a threadban.

Honestly, Bioshuffle, at this point I can't really give you the benefit of the doubt any more. You have to know you're antagonizing posters in this thread. If people continue to attack you when you're not outright attacking them, they will be probed. But you will also be probed and possibly permanently removed from the thread if you continue to drop posts that you know do not fly with the majority of posters discussing this show. I would rather not have to remove you outright, since you clearly have been enjoying the show and talking about other aspects of it. You should be able to do that here, but you need to adjust how you do it if the current track you're taking keeps bringing so much heat and making the thread unenjoyable for everyone else. Just accept that your take is an incredibly unpopular one and keep it to yourself. It will be an incredible gotcha moment for you later if for some crazy reason the show decides to spell out that Stormfront is not, in fact, a literal Nazi. Since that almost definitely isn't happening, though, it would be best for you to just drop the matter entirely.

I want to thank the thread for the general patience on the matter, and apologize if it seems like I'm taking forever. I know it can be frustrating if it seems like the mods aren't doing anything to get rid of a bad egg in a thread. I try to let the posters of TVIV run wild and free, and only hand out harsh punishments for pointedly harmful and heinous things, or when a poster continually refuses to change to solve an easily avoidable problem. This is 100% Bioshuffle's final warning on the matter, so anybody who wants them gone just know that they will be permanently removed from this thread-- and any threads for The Boys going forward-- if it continues.

Anyway, all that said, I am definitely changing the thread title to this:

Just ban nazis and people who keep saying nazi poo poo even if they claim it’s for the lols you coward

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Just ban nazis and people who keep saying nazi poo poo even if they claim it’s for the lols you coward

Who in this thread was doing that?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Total Meatlove posted:

That's a powerful post/av combo ngl

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay, other topics: I think The Deep's plotline needs one hell of a payoff by the end of this season for it to be worth it for me. The actor is absolutely smashing it, but it's just too disconnected from everything else.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Durzel posted:

Come to think of it we haven't really seen the limits of anyone's power, as in they've never really been in obvious peril. We know now that even Kimiko is straight up bulletproof.

It's interesting cause we've seen Homelander, Maeve and Starlight being literally bulletproof, while Kimiko and Black Noir definitely get visible injuries when shot/stabbed/exploded but they can simply pull through like the Wolverine. There were a ton of squibs when Kimiko gets shot up by the mobster, and BN was wounded as well by Kimiko, the explodey Super Villain and the Home Alone gang.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I remember a movie called Look Who's Back where Hitler is timetravelled to modern Germany (it never explains how), and he goes around being literally Hitler and the only people that have a problem with him are neo nazis who think he's mocking them. Everyone else thinks he's some method actor even when he's on a latenight tv show to talk about what he would do if he were in charge again.

Look Who's Back was a amazing comedy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZi67BmY_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiuesTpIPVQ

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

Okay, other topics: I think The Deep's plotline needs one hell of a payoff by the end of this season for it to be worth it for me. The actor is absolutely smashing it, but it's just too disconnected from everything else.

I know Maeve is trying to recruit him, but I don't think he'll betray HL- not after HL threatened him last season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Google Butt posted:

The weekly release poo poo is whack

I know people had a meltdown in the Amazon review section for season 2.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Alchenar posted:

I'm sure the Collective will connect back to the main plot in a major way, but I also feel like The Deep is going to be a permanent punching bag and get poo poo on every season. He's enough of a dick that everyone's happy to see him suffer, but just nice enough that the audience isn't calling for his death. So he'll be a perpetual B-plot like this.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I know Maeve is trying to recruit him, but I don't think he'll betray HL- not after HL threatened him last season.

Counterpoint: Deep is really fuckin’ dumb, of course he’ll betray homelander.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Durzel posted:

Ya, there was a lot of blood effects coming off her for being bulletproof. She just heals really fast, but can die if a vital organ was hit.

That Italian Guy posted:

It's interesting cause we've seen Homelander, Maeve and Starlight being literally bulletproof, while Kimiko and Black Noir definitely get visible injuries when shot/stabbed/exploded but they can simply pull through like the Wolverine. There were a ton of squibs when Kimiko gets shot up by the mobster, and BN was wounded as well by Kimiko, the explodey Super Villain and the Home Alone gang.

Also Translucent :rip: :911:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm sure the Collective will connect back to the main plot in a major way, but I also feel like The Deep is going to be a permanent punching bag and get poo poo on every season. He's enough of a dick that everyone's happy to see him suffer, but just nice enough that the audience isn't calling for his death. So he'll be a perpetual B-plot like this.

I hope he accidentally becomes the leader of the cult and has no idea what to do with it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

esperterra posted:

Going forward, debating whether or not Stormfront is or was literally a member of the Nazi party, or is simply an incredibly racist person, will earn probes.

Works for me! I just want to discuss the show. While you're here, what's the spoiler policy for new episodes?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ya, there was a lot of blood effects coming off her for being bulletproof. She just heals really fast, but can die if a vital organ was hit.

Also Translucent :rip: :911:
Ok, maybe bulletproof is too strong, but she wasn't even slightly phased by the gunshots during that contract kill scene, and wasn't apparently affected afterwards, so it would seem that bullets (to the body at least) are no big deal really.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

More of a dramedy. Or absurdist fiction.

(Spoilers) Final scene of the movie is very chilling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y52fmhZGPE

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Durzel posted:

Ok, maybe bulletproof is too strong, but she wasn't even slightly phased by the gunshots during that contract kill scene, and wasn't apparently affected afterwards, so it would seem that bullets (to the body at least) are no big deal really.
The infamous rooftop scene showed that she does have a limit as to how much punishment she can take. At least against a more powerful supe.

Knowing how impulsive she is, and how much she cares about her brother, I got the feeling she only hung back because she knew he sacrificed himself for her and she didn't want to waste it.

I still don't understand why Stormfront stops the pursuit. It doesn't make any sense at all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bioshuffle posted:

Works for me! I just want to discuss the show. While you're here, what's the spoiler policy for new episodes?

Thank you.

General spoiler rules in TVIV is anything that has aired/is available on streaming is fair game and to enter at your own risk if you haven't watched. Exceptions are shows that drop an entire season at once, where a thread typically has a set time during which any spoilers need to be properly tagged and labeled by episode.

Rules vary by thread tho so idk if y'all do it differently here.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Don't be a pussy laser my loving tits.

Loved that line.

That Italian Guy posted:

my wild theory: Butcher is also a supe, but he doesn't realize it yet. This ep he was beat up in a bar brawl, got kicked in the head and body multiple times, and only had a little bruise under one eye, then almost immediately recovered and was back in business.

Also he destroyed his aunt's house and she didn't even seem to be surprised or upset as Billy and the boys drove off.

Alchenar posted:

The Deep is the only true hero of the series; he actually sought help for his mental/emotional troubles while all the other supes are in downward spirals of denial about their problems.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not really. The cult chick said she could get him in the seven. That's the only reason he's drinking the fresca.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

The Deep is the only true hero of the series; he actually sought help for his mental/emotional troubles while all the other supes are in downward spirals of denial about their problems.
He didn't reach out for help. They came and targeted him specifically because he was so mentally weak.

He is just such a big push over he allowed them to take control of his life, to the point where he doesn't even get to choose the person he marries.

I have a feeling he's going to have a come to Jesus moment where he thinks he'll find redemption by standing up to Homelander and will immediately get creamed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I reckon the Deep's plot is going to largely be set up for next season. I'm not sure Vought can survive into the next season without directly introducing an outside party for them to go up against. (Marvel vs DC, corporate mergers and monopolies). Perhaps a cult isn't the best vessel for that, but I figure some sort of opposition has to come from somewhere.

The Deep's subplot is blatantly an exercise in marking time, but it feels pretty fun.

Binary Logic posted:

my wild theory: Butcher is also a supe, but he doesn't realize it yet. This ep he was beat up in a bar brawl, got kicked in the head and body multiple times, and only had a little bruise under one eye, then almost immediately recovered and was back in business.

Also he destroyed his aunt's house and she didn't even seem to be surprised or upset as Billy and the boys drove off.

Bigger twist: he's been secretly dosing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bioshuffle posted:

He didn't reach out for help. They came and targeted him specifically because he was so mentally weak.

He is just such a big push over he allowed them to take control of his life, to the point where he doesn't even get to choose the person he marries.

I have a feeling he's going to have a come to Jesus moment where he thinks he'll find redemption by standing up to Homelander and will immediately get creamed.

I kinda like that idea. "Deep, you finally stood up for yourself. Good for you. Now put your shirt back on and hide those loving gills or I'll throw you out the window."

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

deep is going to end up having to blow the leader of the collective in a reverse honeypot situation.

i like how scared maeve is of HL. its like nobody else really gets what he can do. she knows its gonna take everything to stop him if it comes to a fight.

i really want a "I live in a world of cardboard" moment from HL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In general, I like how everyone is terrified of Homelander. It's a very true reaction any person would have if someone like that focused their attention on you.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ptkfvk posted:

deep is going to end up having to blow the leader of the collective in a reverse honeypot situation.

i like how scared maeve is of HL. its like nobody else really gets what he can do. she knows its gonna take everything to stop him if it comes to a fight.

i really want a "I live in a world of cardboard" moment from HL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

I think it was Spider-Man who said he had to constantly hold back his powers otherwise one punch would kill someone when he was trying to stop crimes and stuff.

You're probably not going to get that from Homelander cause he pretty much kills everyone when hes doing his hero bit. I think it was a bank robber (?) in season one he just threw up into the air and landed on a car in the background in front of everyone and the press. Homelander don't give a poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it seems in universe nobody minds if they murder criminals, just not bystanders.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

didn't see the probe warning, sorry

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

YHBT