Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why did they change butcher's wife's death? makes butcher's motive a lot weaker.

also black noir's costume is horrendous not sure why they didn't make that more like the book too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Wrong, You mean Black Noir. A big thing about Homelander was that he wasn't a rapist ever, and his mental collpase from vapid celebrity to insane monster was because of his clone/Black Noir sending him pictures of Black Noir raping women, eating babies, and other poo poo from his clone going insane from his own failed programing to kill Homerlander

I honestly 50/50 on the changes from the comic. I think the comic world was much larger and more "realistic" because they spent so much time with the C and D list teams

Did you miss the part of the page that it was previously discussed?

I'm fine with them not going after other groups yet; they mention enough of them this season, and I never cared for 'this team is lovely...' 'this team is also lovely...' stuff.

I'm wondering if next season they'll spend any time on Tek-Knight they investigated him in a murder case; and he had a compulsion where he couldn't stop loving things (due to a fist-sized brain tumor)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Started yesterday and I'm already done. Been a while since I've binged a show like that.

Very promising first season, I actually liked it quite a bit better than the source material, which isn't something that happens a whole lot. They could have made it a lot more Garth Ennis, but I'm very glad they restrained themselves somewhat and didn't.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It made me think that someone should have a go at The Losers, but then I remembered that they already made a lovely movie of that, googled it, and uh haha

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm 5 episodes in and the religion stuff seems VERY 2000s

Rocksicles posted:

Nothing. It's pretty drat good. Sounds like my best mate.

it's slipping all over the place

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

exmarx posted:

it does but kinda wraps back around into being relevant considering who's in office.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmarx posted:

it's slipping all over the place

Doesn't matter, it's not a a biopic.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Wayyy better the comic, especially since its written more as a satire of celebrity culture/the military-industrial complex rather than juvenile anti-superhero bullshit

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The baby scene was beautiful.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

e: nvm

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only on episode 3, but I think A-Train has learned a valuable lesson about just not stopping when you accidentally blow someone up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the end of the last episode ruined one of the few actually interesting parts of the comic. using one of my favorite songs ever softened the blow.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Only through one episode......and so far so good. Just heard about it this morning. Good to know that Homelander is a character to get excited about. Banshee on Cinemax was a super fun show. Very entertaining.....so I'm already a fan of Antony Starr.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
quick question, how rapey is this show?

i remember the comics being very bad about that subject, and when i pulled up the first episode to watch with my fiancee i saw that content tag and basically noped right back out to the main page and was like "ok maybe I should check this out on my own first." what am I potentially getting into here?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i remember the comics being very bad about that subject, and when i pulled up the first episode to watch with my fiancee i saw that content tag and basically noped right back out to the main page and was like "ok maybe I should check this out on my own first." what am I potentially getting into here?

Waaaaaay toned down, thankfully. In the first episode The Deep coerces Starlight to give him a blowjob (off-screen) and they keep that part with Billy's wife.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Just finished season 1. This is so much better than the source material, which i enjoyed.

I like the new direction they have taken it, and the changes are positive. Forget what you know from the comics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HardKase posted:

I like the new direction they have taken it, and the changes are positive. Forget what you know from the comics.

they made homelander go sociopath a little too quickly and the final scene make me worried they're going to cut out the one interesting thing in the comic.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Not that much rapey.

SPOILERS:
You get the Starlight being coerced to give a blowjob to The Deep scene. That's on episode 1.

There's the big night club weird sex scenes, also on episode 1.

The Deep getting his gills touched without his consent and after saying no during a sex scene. Which is of course implying rape. And might be a bit uncomfortable for some people.

You get told that Butcher's wife got raped, but you get nothing graphical about it.

There's the murder by cunnilingus scene that was shown on the trailer, a few odd mommy-kinks, and the rest is very vanilla missionary sex scenes.

And that's about it.

It is very graphical when it comes to violence, so just beware a bit on that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
okay, so it's not nearly as bad as the comics. thank you God.

gore and consensual titties are A-OK, half of why I'm into this show is because Antony Starr's on it and Banshee loving owned

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 27, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Four episodes in and I'm pretty hooked on this, seems really well done.

I only read one... maybe two of the comics? I remember hearing mixed things. Sounds like this is a smart adaptation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Four episodes in and I'm pretty hooked on this, seems really well done.

I only read one... maybe two of the comics? I remember hearing mixed things. Sounds like this is a smart adaptation.

Yeah parts of the first episode seemed very familiar. I think I might have read a book or two as well, and I seem to remember putting it down because it was super tryhard edgy with all the sexual violence.

There's still a bit of that in the show, but not too too much.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Karl Urban really sold the absolute poo poo out of that (EP4) Spice Girls metaphor.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Did you miss the part of the page that it was previously discussed?

I'm fine with them not going after other groups yet; they mention enough of them this season, and I never cared for 'this team is lovely...' 'this team is also lovely...' stuff.

I'm wondering if next season they'll spend any time on Tek-Knight they investigated him in a murder case; and he had a compulsion where he couldn't stop loving things (due to a fist-sized brain tumor)

Actually, I didn't!

The thing is with the plot as advanced as it has, with all the urgency involved, I wonder if they could intergrate that stuff though now. I agree 3 seasons of it would be good, but handling poo poo the X-Men parody is really loving poignant at the moment, more than even normal #MeToo stuff. The Jeffery Epstein echos do need to be talked about

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 27, 2019

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

Not that much rapey.

SPOILERS:
You get the Starlight being coerced to give a blowjob to The Deep scene. That's on episode 1.

There's the big night club weird sex scenes, also on episode 1.

The Deep getting his gills touched without his consent and after saying no during a sex scene. Which is of course implying rape. And might be a bit uncomfortable for some people.

You get told that Butcher's wife got raped, but you get nothing graphical about it.

There's the murder by cunnilingus scene that was shown on the trailer, a few odd mommy-kinks, and the rest is very vanilla missionary sex scenes.

And that's about it.

It is very graphical when it comes to violence, so just beware a bit on that.

You missed one.

The senator consents to sex with a woman and it turns out to be a man blackmailing him with his mimic powers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Desperado Bones posted:

Regarding episode 5 ,I think is the one with the super church event, does anyone know what was up with the buzzing fly? Did I miss anything? a wink-nudge?

I really wondered about this and assumed it was a secret spy thing or some Ant-Man knockoff or something but nope

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Random Stranger posted:

I don't remember if it was from the comic, but the _dolphin_ in episode 4 was a perfect example of good Garth Ennis stuff: simultaneously horrible and juvenile but also so completely absurd that you have to laugh. The show does have a fair share of lovely Ennis nihilism running through it, but the worst excesses of the comic seem to be gone and there are moments like that which work.

Pretty much my thoughts beat by beat. Turning the dial back on the egregiousness of the source material was a smart move imo. I love that Simon pegg came on board as the dad. I had no idea he was involved, though read nothing about the show other than Rogan and goldberg were developing it for amazon.

I dont recall ever seeing the homelander actor in anything and I thought he knocked it out of the park. I enjoyed where they went in the finale and hope it gets picked up for a second season.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I binged the whole thing overnight and I loved quite a lot of it, I wasn't a massive fan of the book either so I don't care much about accuracy there

Am I just a pervert or were they really hinting that Elizabeth Shues character was Homelanders mother? I don't remember if that was in the book, but given his fixation on her lactating, and jealousy of the other baby, they definitely had a mom-son dynamic right?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Supreme Allah posted:

Am I just a pervert or were they really hinting that Elizabeth Shues character was Homelanders mother? I don't remember if that was in the book, but given his fixation on her lactating, and jealousy of the other baby, they definitely had a mom-son dynamic right?

It was definitely hosed up. I don't think it was hinting at that but her being a mother figure to him was definitely something she exploited to better control and manipulate Homelander.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i didnt get that vibe so much as it being a weird sex thing, but you may be correct too

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

Nah. It's a freudian sex thing because he was raised as a lab experiment with no human affection so hes really jealous of that baby

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

My wife had to work last night so she has the show on and the bad part about binging shows is not being able to absorb and appreciate some of the smaller moments like when The Female hosed everyone up so severely that the last guy living just shot himself in the head instead of taking the mauling lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

sorry for the double post. I just read a review that said season 2 has been picked up and (spoiler for a casting addition for s2) aya cash from the great "you're the worst" is coming on next season. . I'm pretty pumped about that, though I dont know who they will be playing

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eat This Glob posted:

sorry for the double post. I just read a review that said season 2 has been picked up and (spoiler for a casting addition for s2) aya cash from the great "you're the worst" is coming on next season. . I'm pretty pumped about that, though I dont know who they will be playing

A quick google search has all the sites saying she's a gender swapped Stormfront :godwin:.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A quick google search has all the sites saying she's a gender swapped Stormfront :godwin:.

that's kind of a cool choice given that her dad IRL is jewish, though that sort of reveal might be a fun mindfuck for stormfront if they build it into the character. whatever the role I'm glad they're on board!

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i wonder if we get M.M.'s origin from the books on screen. especially his brother.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i wonder if we get M.M.'s origin from the books on screen. especially his brother.

I thought his brother's back story was the saddest thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they said that he had been an early V-baby but changed MM's story, because it was reeeeeeal weird.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

LadyPictureShow posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they said that he had been an early V-baby but changed MM's story, because it was reeeeeeal weird.

Prehensile tentacle breasts are weird?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wasn't his power dependent on breastfeeding from his mother? It wouldn't be the grossest thing on the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I liked the finale. Tied up one of the biggest lose ends for next season in motivating why Homelander wouldn't just murder them all, introducing next seasons big bad and throwing Butchers underlying stake out the window.

I wish I knew where they were going with knock-off Aquaman but I guess we will see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I think they threw that out the window, despite both being the reason for his name and one of the most interesting/well written things in the book, because it's interlinked with so much Ennis black sex humor.

Also I'm glad Stormfront is in this, but I'm praying they don't let up the shitiness of the character whatsoever, and just let there be a Nazi Thor who is a woman