Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«48 »
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Mat Cauthon posted:

Probably something to do with Kid Homelander and turning him or using him to get Homelander to stand down.
I'd kind of like to see Butcher going full psycho and blowing Homeboy and his ex sky high just to see the insane shitstorm that would cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

In Invincible, the main character flies through space just by holding his breath.

Story wise I hope the way to take down Homelander is by using his own hubris, but I really enjoy the idea that it's possible to be head and shoulders the best and still overrated.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

sets off a "weirdly specific fetish artwork" vibe

One thing thatís notable in the comic is that superhero fights arenít treated as cinematic. Even when itís between two powerful individuals the winner is usually the one who gets a sucker punch off first and takes the others head off. Thereís no back and forth until one prevails like a marvel movie, fights are either won by dirty tricks or overwhelming power.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get, the more I feel like laughing.

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

Or maybe the Homelander we know is the beta-lame-o version with an obvious Death Star kill switch and You-Know-Who is the real one

The teaser thing they did with him and the terrorist supe seems to point to that but I feel like it's a fake out. More than likely they've come up with some twist/variation to set the series apart from the comic.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

The teaser thing they did with him and the terrorist supe seems to point to that but I feel like it's a fake out. More than likely they've come up with some twist/variation to set the series apart from the comic.

Yeah, it is worth pointing out that superheroes in series seem to have a set of generic strengths on top of their particular power.

Annie takes a couple of shots from a gently caress off rifle and is stunned but unharmed. A-train pulverized a human being but didn't have a scratch on him.

Black noir walking away with some injuries from a point blank explosion doesn't necessarily put him as that much more durable than what we've already seen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

Why god?

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

He did seem pretty wary of Starlight (or at least considered her a threat enough to not take chances) but there's no guarantee that he isn't invulnerable enough to take a hit from her and keep going or just crater her before she can act.

There are a couple of points where everyone seems a bit wary of Annie.

I mean, they don't have actual enemies on their level, so it would make sense they'd all be a bit afraid of one another.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Straight White Shark posted:

I feel like this is an artifact of network TV schedules more than anything. If The Boys ran for 13 episodes, yeah, they'd need to mix it up and throw in a couple breaks from the season arc. But streaming shows aren't beholden to arbitrary season lengths and don't need to pad out their run to meet an order. That's the other side of the streaming/serialization debate; streaming schedules allows shows to tell much tighter stories than were ever practical in the network TV era. Shows that try to do the heavily serialized format and drag it out really suck, yeah, but the best solution is generally to just cut out the cruft entirely, not to replace it with filler.

There's a structure in a self contained story that can add a lot of depth to a character or two. It's why short stories exist. Wisely adding those in just adds to a show. Exploring relationships or details in a world in a one off can add depth that following a purely serialized format has to stretch to get to.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sometimes there is a fun/cool idea to play with, but it doesn't necessarily need to be linked to a season wide arc. Also, the show can go back to a filler episode, and make it part of the main plot if there is a good opportunity, and then the show can look more planned out than it was.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

PostNouveau posted:

There are a couple of points where everyone seems a bit wary of Annie.
I bet this is largely because Laserbaby and Homelander have shown that energy-based powers are ridiculously effective and her being able to control light/EM has a big ol' ??? Attached to its upper limit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN

What if laser baby inexplicably ends up In Homelander's butt? Would that kill him?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

FilthyImp posted:

I bet this is largely because Laserbaby and Homelander have shown that energy-based powers are ridiculously effective and her being able to control light/EM has a big ol' ??? Attached to its upper limit.

It's probably also partly that she can at least blind people, and there's no way they want to risk being blinded in their current situation. They've got pretty sweet lives, why give all that up, even if you're not entirely sure she can do it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?

Grimey Drawer

Black Noir is pretty tough, but don't forget he also got slashed up by The Female last season.

Even in the show, the fights that are supe vs supe are mainly just sucker punches. A-Train beat TF by repeatedly smashing her head into the wall at super speed. She beat him by leaping out of a vent or something and crowbaring him in the femur.

They haven't really had a dramatic movie style fight with anyone yet. Looks like it might be at least one this season though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I would really enjoy a twist along the lines of them hiring starlight for her sneaky clean image and non-threatening showy powers only for her to absorb a power station and burn a hole straight through a BN/Homelander/godlevel's chest.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

427 TOTALLY LEGITIMATE, DEFENSIBLE NATIONAL TITLES AND COUNTING

I'm fine with superfights essentially being first-punch contests. The whole Superman and Doomsday tossing each other through buildings for 10 minutes poo poo gets stupid.

It's easier to believe that two guys could lift tanks than to believe that two guys could take a punch from someone who could lift tanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Superman holds his breath in space.

He can hold his breath for a really long rear end time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

MarcusSA posted:

Superman holds his breath in space.

He can hold his breath for a really long rear end time.
Alternately:
Superman's Kryptonian cells absorb solar radiation in the vacuum of space at a more efficient rate and due to his solar-powered metabolism

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Rocky uses Explosive Punch!
Paid by the Spines-for-Lowtax Committee.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Black Noir is pretty tough, but don't forget he also got slashed up by The Female last season.

Even in the show, the fights that are supe vs supe are mainly just sucker punches. A-Train beat TF by repeatedly smashing her head into the wall at super speed. She beat him by leaping out of a vent or something and crowbaring him in the femur.

They haven't really had a dramatic movie style fight with anyone yet. Looks like it might be at least one this season though.

In the comics at least, most Supes punch way above their endurance - as in, a Supe would probably be unable to survive a good punch from themselves.

It looks like we'll get at least a Stormfront fight in the series, and that is one of the few prolonged fights I can remember from the comics as well at least until Vas shows up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Alternately:
Superman's Kryptonian cells absorb solar radiation in the vacuum of space at a more efficient rate and due to his solar-powered metabolism

Turns out 19th century science is right and Superman breathes the luminiferous aether.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HONKING IS VIOLENCE

Can superman get cancer or STDs?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Proudly supporting the Lowtax Spine Fund 2018-19

Khanstant posted:

Can superman get cancer or STDs?

He is rendered vulnerable by pink Claptonite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

Why god?

Grimey Drawer

Superman gets wrecked by "magic", which makes sense I suppose since it's magic.

«48 »