Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panfilo posted:

So I read that in the comic, he was a clone of Homelander who existed as this failsafe to kill Homelander if he ever went rogue. Buuuuut....

What if Noir did that but went rogue himself? Or what if they BOTH went rogue and teamed up? I know that in the comics he kills Homelander and Butcher kills Noir, but it was an incredibly dumb plan by Voight. Given that Homelander can't see through Zinc I'd assume they engineered an obscure 'kryptonite' as a failsafe instead. But I guess it just shows how shortsighted they were about the whole thing.

Also, given how effective they are at surveillance and tracking crimes in progress, I'm totally expecting a lot of these 'crimes' to be rigged. Because otherwise I don't see who in their right mind would be robbing a major bank or anything like that - supes would be on your rear end in seconds.

in the show homelander and the other superheroes are more powerful than they were in the comics from what i remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Just finished it, dig it a lot. Like a previous poster said, it isn't doing anything we haven't seen before, but its entertaining and Karl Urban is really chewing on some scenery here. Love the actor for Homelander - he looks like a young Kurt Russell or something.

too bad they killed Elizabeth Shue's character of so fast, though I'm glad they got Gus Fring for us next season

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pretty sure they're saving Black Noir for later. Black Noir visibly reacts when Homelander threatens to kill Starlight. This is pretty much the only time he reacts to anything

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

Just finished it, dig it a lot. Like a previous poster said, it isn't doing anything we haven't seen before, but its entertaining and Karl Urban is really chewing on some scenery here. Love the actor for Homelander - he looks like a young Kurt Russell or something.

too bad they killed Elizabeth Shue's character of so fast, though I'm glad they got Gus Fring for us next season

Anthony Starr, who plays Homelander, is awesome in Banshee. Look it up if you have any access to Cinemax streaming. Awesome fight scenes and he plays a great crazy criminal/cop. The supporting cast is also great.

The first two seasons are on Amazon prime video too.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 29, 2019

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I love that Popclaw is literally a fake goth, her costume and branding totally far from her just being a Bushwick pretty girl.

The G-Men arc was probably the best discrete storyline from the comic and it’s a shame that there’s no way to handle it to make it fit for TV. Also Bryan Singer would probably send some goons over to harass the producers.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Amazon should realize they have one of the greatest on screen super villain in the show and don't gently caress with the Homelander character with too much BN stuff. IMO they are just plots, dumb writer plotting at that. Put the camera in front of Anthony Starr and let the guy act.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah it's a good plot and is a lot more interesting than just a semi retread of dr manhattan. you don't actually know it's black noir until the end anyway.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I dunno if you're a comic reader at all, but a decade back Mark Waid came out with a pretty good series called Irredeemable (and a sister series Uncorruptable) that dealt with that, but with less nihilism than The Boys had.

In Irredeemable, the Superman-esque character Plutonian snaps after a horrible accident he caused comes to light, he goes on a rampage and becomes an extreme despot. Former teammates of his try to work together to take him down.

Yeah, the whole time I was watching the boys I just kept thinking how great an Irredeemable adaption would be. Like, they could really nail it, and it would be fantastic. Some of the best parts of the series are how warped, yet realistic his superman origin story is. Like how rather than having the perfect, wholesome farm life upbringing his childhood is basically the "It's a Good Life" episode of The Twilight Zone. And how when he reveals his secret identity to his news reporter girlfriend she freaks out and immediately outs him to the public.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 30, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I didn’t like this show until the rear end eating episode and now I’m a fan for life.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Its good they toned down from the comics. From what I remember the comics came off extremely homophobic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
a quote="bird with big dick" post="497100016"]
I didn’t like this show until the rear end eating episode and now I’m a fan for life.
[/quote]

Best way to sort out unpaid rent with your landlord huh.

Given everything we had seen up to that point, I had assumed Popclaw had done it on purpose.

Also, Haley Joel Osment playing a washed up child celebrity was pretty hilarious as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Karl Urban accent is so bad I was convinced he was just using his natural kiwi one.

Show is much improved from the comics, they kept what was interesting and remade it into something really new. Frenchie and Kimiko are great,the casting is great, accents aside.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spuckuk posted:

Karl Urban accent is so bad I was convinced he was just using his natural kiwi one.

Show is much improved from the comics, they kept what was interesting and remade it into something really new. Frenchie and Kimiko are great,the casting is great, accents aside.

Simon Pegg's accent was so bad it distracted me from what he was saying.

But I really like the series overall.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 30, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 30, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spuckuk posted:

There are a LOT of similarities with a cockney accent and the Australian/ Kiwi accent, it wouldn't be hard to slip.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 30, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Raccooon posted:

Its good they toned down from the comics. From what I remember the comics came off extremely homophobic.

And Ennis tried to cover it up by having Butcher say you shouldn't care about the words he used since he didn't actually hate gay people.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Finished the season, one thing I'm surprised about is that there wasn't more done with Doppelganger. I thought maybe it was him before Stillwell got eye to eye'd but iirc she started saying stuff Doppelganger wouldn't know. Maybe Homelander will just force Doppelganger to pretend to be her for part of s2 or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

jerry seinfel posted:

Finished the season, one thing I'm surprised about is that there wasn't more done with Doppelganger. I thought maybe it was him before Stillwell got eye to eye'd but iirc she started saying stuff Doppelganger wouldn't know. Maybe Homelander will just force Doppelganger to pretend to be her for part of s2 or something.

Yeah it's like when a Batman comic brings up Clayface and then you're looking for him the rest of the time.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

in the show homelander and the other superheroes are more powerful than they were in the comics from what i remember.

I don't think that's really true, Homelander is at least as powerful in the comics, and many of the other superpowered characters seem noticeably more mortal than they did on the page

the big difference is in the degree to which they currently outclass most of The Boys, and that's down to a significant story change from the comics: In the comics Butcher/his associates/government intelligence generally already knows compound V exists and The Boys are all hopped up on a low-dosage version that allows them to physically go toe-to-toe with weaker superheroes from the get-go, with the exception of Hughie, and injecting him is one of the very first things Butcher does post-recruitment. In the show they don't start out knowing about it, and they're all currently baseline humans with the exception of The Female (and maybe MM)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

I don't think that's really true, Homelander is at least as powerful in the comics, and many of the other superpowered characters seem noticeably more mortal than they did on the page

the big difference is in the degree to which they currently outclass most of The Boys, and that's down to a significant story change from the comics: In the comics Butcher/his associates/government intelligence generally already knows compound V exists and The Boys are all hopped up on a low-dosage version that allows them to physically go toe-to-toe with weaker superheroes from the get-go, with the exception of Hughie, and injecting him is one of the very first things Butcher does post-recruitment. In the show they don't start out knowing about it, and they're all currently baseline humans with the exception of The Female (and maybe MM)

Wow, that's a really smart change then. One of the best things about the show is the asymmetry.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

LGD posted:

I thought they made it pretty clear in the show, they've thrown everything at Homelander they can think of and he just shrugs it off. The comics, you needed tank shells/special bullets but he could be hurt. He's a big step above everyone else, but still killable if you tried. The show version seems pretty much totally invulnerable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

seaborgium posted:

I thought they made it pretty clear in the show, they've thrown everything at Homelander they can think of and he just shrugs it off. The comics, you needed tank shells/special bullets but he could be hurt. He's a big step above everyone else, but still killable if you tried. The show version seems pretty much totally invulnerable.

They said the same thing about Translucent...

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The parents knowing their kids were shot full of Compound V seems weird, this is basically the biggest secret in the entire world being known to hundreds, maybe thousands of people.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rocksicles posted:

There are a LOT of similarities with a cockney accent and the Australian/ Kiwi accent, it wouldn't be hard to slip.

As a native Brit, there's quite a big gulf there. I blame Dick van Dyke for making people think antipodean accents == cockney

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dawgstar posted:

And Ennis tried to cover it up by having Butcher say you shouldn't care about the words he used since he didn't actually hate gay people.

Which doesn't even wash because there's homophobic stuff in a bunch of his work, frequently used as punchlines.

Very glad the show improves on this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CeeJee posted:

The parents knowing their kids were shot full of Compound V seems weird, this is basically the biggest secret in the entire world being known to hundreds, maybe thousands of people.

I agree, I assumed the parents didn't know and just "discovered" their newborns were "chosen by god" and had magical powers after a few days/weeks, would have made much more sense. Also the show never addresses how there's a bunch of kids, which is to say, absolute total psychopaths, running around with superpowers that they can probably barely control in some cases. To say nothing of the literal infants. Mommy is nursing one day and suddenly half her shoulder is blown off because baby Timmy needed to burp.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spuckuk posted:

As a native Brit, there's quite a big gulf there. I blame Dick van Dyke for making people think antipodean accents == cockney

I'm a native brit and my ex's family are all old school cockneys. I've also lived in Australia for 20 odd years. Linguists and voice coaches have videos on it dude. It's a thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, just finished this season up tonight. I'm happy they're taking the tack they are, simply because now we're quite literally "off book," meaning Season 2 is going to be completely new, more or less.

As for the guy who mentioned Irredeemable, wow...I haven't thought about that book in a long time, but I really loved how it ended and how the "archnemesis" angle was handled in it. The other comic I'd *really* love to see done right in either TV or movie form is Millar's "Nemesis." It's not a new plot by any means (rich rear end in a top hat decides to become a supervillain instead of Batman), it's just seventy shades of hosed up. Most of Millar's stuff is really dumb, but I think Nemesis is underrated.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Loving the show. I looked into the source material a bit and the show seems to be a universal improvement

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I enjoyed all of it but everything involving the deep after the big MeToo moment was pointless, especially the gill rape scene, that was all pretty dumb and missed out on everything that made the original dynamic between the Deep and Starlight to be rapey. Why wouldn't he just tell that girl to gently caress off? Annie was scared into believing he'll ruin her career if she didn't comply, what stopped him from just going 'yikes, no thanks'?. It was a pretty forced 'walk a mile in her shoes' thingy, and it really wasn't interesting, his story wasn't interesting on it own.

I assumed that he was gonna tell her to gently caress off and she would go "nope, cause if I tell everyone the known supe rapist raped me everyone will believe me"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

bring back old gbs posted:

Alright I got 46 seconds to make this dolphin cum or I'm dead

DEEP SPEED

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

tino posted:

Amazon should realize they have one of the greatest on screen super villain in the show and don't gently caress with the Homelander character with too much BN stuff. IMO they are just plots, dumb writer plotting at that. Put the camera in front of Anthony Starr and let the guy act.

it's kinda scary how good he is at playing Fox News Superman. You can never tell if he's smiling or smirking and it's scary

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I missed it but why is the guy's name "Mother's Milk"? Any explanation?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

As a huge Ennis fan, I'm disappointed with a lot of the changes. I think they spent too much time trying to make a "the boys" origin story, when it's not really about that. They aren't even V-ed up for the whole first season, which changes the gang from a legitimate threat into a bunch of goofballs bumbling their way through a war the heroes don't even know they're in.

It was okay, but disappointing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the X-Men analog pedophile ring in season 2.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'm glad they decided not to give them powers. I think it works better.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

tino posted:

I missed it but why is the guy's name "Mother's Milk"? Any explanation?

it's been a while since I read the comics, but as I recall, he has low grade Luke Cage type powers because his mother was exposed to the drug that makes everyone "super" while he was in the womb. The downside is that he has to periodically drink her breast milk or he wastes away and dies. Which leads to one of the more horrifying scenes in the comic.

Crimpolioni posted:

I'm glad they decided not to give them powers. I think it works better.

They don't get flight or laser eyes, just the ability to take a couple hits from people who accidentally punch through brick walls. The supers in the show are a lot less scary than the comic versions. In the comics, even the guys with powers that aren't super-strength are still a lot stronger and tougher than normal humans.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 30, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CeeJee posted:

Well starlight's mother was a pageant mom who was willing to let people experiment on her child for a chance at *~FaMe~*, the parents all know a shot on the seven, or a lesser job with Vought is in the future if they keep their mouths shut.

Hell, look what went down with that college admissions scandal a few months ago. Some of the kids has NO IDEA their parents were bribing their school on their behalf, they actually thought they were going to school for real and earning their grades. But mommy and daddy set the entire thing up, from the admission test being rigged, to the degree being bought and paid for before they took a single class.

I'm curious if the powers are a crapshoot, or if they're manipulated. Do you roll the dice and maybe get a superspeed baby, or laser eye baby? but also it might just have porcupine skin or emit poisonous gas? Do they have formulas?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 30, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

I'm curious if the powers are a crapshoot, or if they're manipulated. Do you roll the dice and maybe get a superspeed baby, or laser eye baby? but also it might just have porcupine skin or emit poisonous gas? Do they have formulas?

In the comics its a total crap shoot and unless your V is premium grade poo poo you may get nothing at all. The Boys have access to the good stuff that just gives them pure super strength/durability thing.

Also I always got the sense that in the comics none of the low grade supes outside the seven are a real physical threat to the boys since they're portrayed as idiots who are despite the powers are inexperienced in a street fight.

End of season spoilers

I feel like theyre burning through potential plotlines pretty fast. One thing I liked in the comics is how the Boys and the Seven are pretty much in a state of cold war for much of it where neither can move against the other. So theres a lot of time to fulfill the core premise of The Boys wailing on smaller teams while the other stuff builds.

But by the end of this season it feels like they've moved into endgame stuff pretty quick, Hughies realised Butcher is a psycho, Starlight has turned on voight, Homelanders completely off the rails already etc.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 30, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LGD posted:

it's been years since i read the comic but i thought the military could stomp the superheroes if they wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's been years since i read the comic but i thought the military could stomp the superheroes if they wanted to.

That's one of the comic's problems. Aside from the Homelander it does seem like every other super is a joke. The G-Men are wiped out by Vought's private military and the bulk of the superheroes are wiped out by the military when it comes to the big fight at the end.