Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

sliami posted:

isn't basically every us show like this for torontonians

Probably, I don't watch a lot of television. Suits and Leverage used to shoot on block every summer for years and I've never even bothered to watch one episode.

But The Boys seems strangely in sync with my life. Even the empty lot / industrial area shots with the raised freeway in the back from season 1 are where I go bike riding.

e: Terrible e/n snipe

Does anyone have a gif of homelander throwing homeboy off the roof?

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

Probably, I don't watch a lot of television. Suits and Leverage used to shoot on block every summer for years and I've never even bothered to watch one episode.

But The Boys seems strangely in sync with my life. Even the empty lot / industrial area shots with the raised freeway in the back from season 1 are where I go bike riding.

e: Terrible e/n snipe

Does anyone have a gif of homelander throwing homeboy off the roof?

Hah.... I've also been where you went bike riding. Not from Toronto but I spend a decent amount of time there.

So I've had a series rewatch preparing for the new ep and had some thoughts

As I have said many times.... I love Noir doing his mute Batman. The goon pointing out BUTCHER is angrily scribbled on Butcher's paper was such a nice easter egg. Never had almond joy but according to you guys that pretty much signals Noir is a good guy.

Homelander giving A Train the Middle Manager "we got to let you go buddy" was hilarious. I loved the "I want you to know this was really hard for me. It's nothing personal. We'll always be friends and et cetera. Attaboy. <he leaves>" That whole scene had me dying. 100% happened to me and Starr captures the delivery so well. He needs to do more comedies. Coming after his Star confrontation in the elevator just makes that nice Boys tone. Wish Preacher had been this good.

The "if you love someone you will never let you go" hugging skeleton loving redhead interviewee scares me more than anyone.

Frenchie is so much cooler when he's not being goony over Kimiko. He was on drugs but I hope they make it more friendly and go far away from any romance. I like his hookup partner and she seems to be good for him. Hope Kimiko gets to talk next season as her mute acting is good but I want her to be able to do more.

As I said before, I want to go on a road trip with MM, Hughie and Starlight. I liked MM from the getgo and he's the character I relate to most on the show and hope they don't gently caress him up. I don't mind depth but just don't do anything like the spoilers I read about the comics. The show needs one of the boys to be a bloody professional and keep his head and heart intact. I like the hook about his Dad and hope they do more of that and not.. the comic stuff. Jesus.

Becca is cool and 100% made the right decision and it makes me sad thinking about people treating her like Skyler, even if it's just on Reddit. She is going to die horribly and did not deserve any of it. I would have gone batty in seconds and be splattered by Homelander.

I also hate Ed Sheeran.

Jesus the cold way Maeve is outed. So uncomfortable on so many levels.

No spoilers but high as gently caress guesses: HL is going to kill his kid. Probably after killing Becca. Just have a hunch the kid is going to be a kid and not Homelander's perfect adoring son and it is not going to go well. Makes me sad as it will just feed Butcher's justification for going all out and Butcher will use this to sway the gang. Just don't see any of that ending in even the slightest direction of happy. Wondering if that will happen this season or next.

No idea where Stormfront is headed... I mean we know some things and she doesn't seem stupid enough to push HL but Homie is not exactly known for restraint. Something has got to take Homelander down a peg as he just seems way too close to saying "gently caress the normals - we are your new Gods". Stormfront might be Edgar's attempt. edit: Outing Stormfront as a literal Nazi might hurt that control Edgar was going to put in place.

Man... can't wait to see these next few episodes.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 17, 2020

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Independent of how awful her character is, I thing Stormfront has the best super power special effects on the show. Everytime I catch myself gazing at the lightning, it just looks so much cooler than Homelanders laser eyes.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
The Boys is the only Prime show I watch where the site defaults to "Explore!" rather than play. Just let me watch the drat show, Amazon!

:cmon:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/q91g7si.gifv

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
my zoom meeting just saw me lose my poo poo completely over that gif, moist.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I gotta give the show a lot of credit. Most of the time I would be like "yeah the kid's fine, they're not gonna kill the kid" but with this show, you know, maybe they would.

They linger on him being completely still and the mom running out and screaming "he's not breathing!" just long enough that you're like HOLY gently caress
And you just know that 100% Homelander would kill a kid, even his own son, and not even regret that poo poo

Then of course he gets up and he's actually a supe and he's fine, but god drat that was some serious tension

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

loving diabolical

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
The best part is knowing that if the kid died, Homelander would deny being his dad, ever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Look at Starrs face acting. He can barely keep up the smiles and it's... just so loving brilliant.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I 100% thought the kid was dead or paralyzed from the fall cause this show would totally do that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

boo_radley posted:

The best part is knowing that if the kid died, Homelander would deny being his dad, ever.

It would be proof in his eyes

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

bobjr posted:

What I wonder about Black Noir is why him hunting Butcher down seems like a secret, when presumably him taking the terrorist down in episode 1 felt like a mission. Considering he’s one of the Seven and shown to be competent I don’t see why they wouldn’t just let him go after the boys

I felt like it was because the mission to take out the supe terrorist super villain was something Vought sent him to do, one of their mostly PR stunt missions. But with Butcher and the rest of the boys- I think Vought just doesn't care. I mean, it didn't take that tech that long to track down Butcher... they just haven't bothered.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

DogsInSpace! posted:

No idea where Stormfront is headed... I mean we know some things and she doesn't seem stupid enough to push HL but Homie is not exactly known for restraint. Something has got to take Homelander down a peg as he just seems way too close to saying "gently caress the normals - we are your new Gods". Stormfront might be Edgar's attempt. edit: Outing Stormfront as a literal Nazi might hurt that control Edgar was going to put in place.

I'm really wondering what Edgar's motive was to put her in the seven. Is she just supposed to muddy the waters? Maybe undermine Homelander?
Also, how the heck does no one know who she is if she's 70+ years old? Did they stuff her in a bunker somewhere for 50 years? You'd think more people would recognize her.

I was sure he was going to push his son from a high place, and boy did he deliver :allears:

Zaphod42 posted:

They linger on him being completely still and the mom running out and screaming "he's not breathing!" just long enough that you're like HOLY gently caress

Yeah that was a good scene. It's also possible that he did die and just regenerated.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

itry posted:

I'm really wondering what Edgar's motive was to put her in the seven. Is she just supposed to muddy the waters? Maybe undermine Homelander?
Also, how the heck does no one know who she is if she's 70+ years old? Did they stuff her in a bunker somewhere for 50 years? You'd think more people would recognize her.

If she's really the ORIGINAL super who was working with Mr. Vought she might have some kind of controlling share of the company.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

spacetoaster posted:

If she's really the ORIGINAL super who was working with Mr. Vought she might have some kind of controlling share of the company.
There might be another Oedipal relationship at play; we'll see Edgar lap at a baby bottle in episode 8's big reveal: he's soldier boy & is under SF's lactose thrall.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

"Hey son, do you trust me?"

"Sure ...dad, I guess."

"Dumbass"

Old School Parenting.

Vintersorg posted:

Look at Starrs face acting. He can barely keep up the smiles and it's... just so loving brilliant.

Seriously. He is so drat good.

itry posted:

Me too. Also I'm not sure I would make my backup "dealing with a monster plan" be working with a literal Nazi but there was a precedent. Jesus. Hopefully she's not from Illinois.

edit: I wonder though... Edgar is arrogant but can't imagine he would do this unless he was really desperate. I wonder how powerful she is. Again.... would be awful and fitting if the Boys screw up the only real chance at the world stopping Homelander. Then again... if the world needs a Nazi to save it then is it really worth saving?

edit 2: It's a bloody shame Butcher couldn't get past the kid being "a loving Supe" as raising that kid in a loving environment might be the best chance of stopping Homelander. If the kid lived to adulthood that is and I doubt that will happen. Poor kid. Poor Becca. Effin Butcher. Starlight, Hughie and MM would help him grow up right.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 17, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Butcher wasn't wrong when he said they'll never let the kid go. Still an rear end in a top hat though.

spacetoaster posted:

I suppose it's possible that it wasn't Edgar's call. Still doesn't tell us why she's there. Just shifts the responsibility.

Part of me is curious to know more, part of me really really hopes she doesn't survive the season.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Do I remember a teaser trailer showing homelander lasering stormfront? And she smiling at him because he can't hurt her?

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8fFM1ZdWo&t=94s

Also, it seems to be some freaky BDSM thing

Also, the teaser shows Homelander lasering a military veteran in front of a crowd so I guess he publicly goes crazy at some point

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 17, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Living in Toronto, this show is incredibly fun to watch. I worked for years with Roy Thomson Hall / Vaught HQ across the courtyard from my office. I spent most of my youth in Kensington Market / Chinatown that is featured prominently. I went on dates with my wife at the pub where Hughie takes Starlight. My doctors office is above the subway station where they filmed the tunnel scene season 1. My optometrist is in the background of the scene where Mesmer spies Butcher in the mall. I could go on.

It's just such a loving hoot.

What was the pub? It looked weirdly familiar but I couldn’t place it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cR9lLzhy4g

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jesus Christ

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Rappaport posted:

Jesus Christ

The eagle cry at the end almost makes up for the fact that he says "saving the world," when we all know Homie prefers "saving America."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got a weird question.

Butcher's wife disappeared the night after she got raped by Homelander right? But then she said once she found out she was pregnant she went to Vought and not him. Did she know she was pregnant like two hours after or am I misremembering?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Solice Kirsk posted:

I got a weird question.

Butcher's wife disappeared the night after she got raped by Homelander right? But then she said once she found out she was pregnant she went to Vought and not him. Did she know she was pregnant like two hours after or am I misremembering?

IIRC there's kind of a plot gap there? Part of the story might be* that Homeboy had super-gestation, so it took way less time for him to develop. Two hours to baby bump might not be unrealistic in that case.

----
* Everybody telling this story was an unreliable narrator though! Who knows what actually happened!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I got a weird question.

She says that she didn't tell him because he knew he'd go on a warpath against homelander and she knew that would kill him. Its a little hand-wavey how it worked out but its plausible, especially since she was just raped she may have just basically gone into hiding and collapsed, and then after awhile found out she was pregnant and contacted Vought.

boo_radley posted:

* Everybody telling this story was an unreliable narrator though! Who knows what actually happened!!!

Yep

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

Do I remember a teaser trailer showing homelander lasering stormfront? And she smiling at him because he can't hurt her?

Also, it seems to be some freaky BDSM thing

Now that's a take I haven't seen before.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Somebody do a shout-out when the ep is available please

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She did rub his cheek and tell him that he's actually her favorite and she has no problem with him. Surprising that the nazi has the hots for tall, blonde, and blue eyes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

She did rub his cheek and tell him that he's actually her favorite and she has no problem with him. Surprising that the nazi has the hots for tall, blonde, and blue eyes.

She also has a big wound in her chest and was almost certainly asking him to cauterize it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao the patriotic eagle screech sound at the end of the ad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Now, laser my tits” seemed obviously like a sex thing to me, but I’m deep in the throws of “Corona Horny” so I assumed that was just me.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm pretty sure he's right. She's smiling and her exact words are "Now laser my tits" and she's got a burn scar in that exact spot already. It does seem like some kinda hosed up sex thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beef Stew posted:

I'm pretty sure he's right. She's smiling and her exact words are "Now laser my tits" and she's got a burn scar in that exact spot already. It does seem like some kinda hosed up sex thing.

Hmm, I suppose you are right. Either way it's still more believable than the people who thought he was trying to kill her in that scene.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Episode's up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just got the notification as well

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MarcusSA posted:

Just got the notification as well
This is three hours earlier than last week, so by the end of the season they should be posting new episodes on Thursday morning.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Amazon is missing a huge opportunity by not selling MM's t-shirt collection

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Starks posted:

What was the pub? It looked weirdly familiar but I couldn’t place it

I thought it was the Friar on John St (downstairs across from Muchmusic) but google says that it was the Dominion on queen east.

Also it looks like the Friar has been renovated since I was last there. There's a bunch of stupid bright colored Monty Pyhton poo poo on the walls now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PostNouveau posted:

Amazon is missing a huge opportunity by not selling MM's t-shirt collection

I wanted that Black Panther Breakfast Program shirt pretty badly im not gonna lie.