Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
A few questions maybe I wasn't paying attention.

1. Did frenchie confessed he was a serial killer when he talked about killing a women he met in the elevator? How can anyone understand this guy without the subtitle?

2. What happened to Ezekiel the religious supe after Huguie showed him the homo stuff. Was he killed?

3. How did Homelander found out his rape baby is still alive? Did he go back and lasik the gently caress out of Rawls?

tino fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Frankenstyle posted:

I dunno. I'm not a big comic guy and The Boys is one maybe of three series I've read since college, so I'm not a purist or anything but it was worth reading. I was curious to see how much of the story would get shaved down to fit the show in the interest of time and money. Loved the first episode, but the next two feel like they cut the story to the bone and then patched it back together with pointless filler. It also feels like folks behind the scenes were having a lot of conflicts deciding on the exact mixture of Dark / Comedy they were shooting for, and a lot of it feels a little awkward as a result. Does it get any better, of should I give up now?

this blows my mind because the only thing the show has done worse is black noir's costume and it looks they're doing away with the single interesting part of the comic homelander being gaslit into allowing himself to slide into sociopathy.

tino posted:

3. How did Homelander found out his rape baby is still alive? Did he go back and lasik the gently caress out of Rawls?

squeezed it out of him.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

tino posted:

A few questions maybe I wasn't paying attention.

1. Did frenchie confessed he was a serial killer when he talked about killing a women he met in the elevator? How can anyone understand this guy without subtitle?

2. What happened to Ezekiel the religious supe after Huguie showed him the homo stuff. Was he killed?

1. I think it was implied she was a superhero and this was probably his first hit. (Dirt and callous in her hands).

3. Yes. He was told his baby had died during birth, then that it was a miscarriage. Homelander's psycho brain realized it was a lie, went back with the doctor that had taken care of him when he was a baby and forced him in to telling the truth.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bert Roberge posted:

I tried to go back and read the comic and it is horrendous. The art looks godawful too. I do miss the big goofy bulldog though.

After the plane episode, I looked up the corresponding issue, and... yeesh.

On one hand, the comic showed just how disorganized The Seven were, on the other hand... Ennis.

E: I knew Translucent wasn't in the comic, but Hell, I couldn't even remember Jack From Jupiter was the seventh member in the comics. I wonder if they'll try to bring him in in S2.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 28, 2019

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Groovelord Neato posted:

homelander being gaslit into allowing himself to slide into sociopathy.

That's the missing stuff that I was bitching about.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my mistake - we're in agreement there. it's a huge misstep if they're cutting that out (which it looks like they are).

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

my mistake - we're in agreement there. it's a huge misstep if they're cutting that out (which it looks like they are).

What happens with this part? You guys can go ahead can spoiler the comic for me. I want to know.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Would it be impossible for them to do that in Season 2? Because Black Noir doesn't really do anything this season. Basically the only of the Seven with nothing going on. It seemed like they were saving him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah how is it possible be disappointed with him when he's so deliberately kept out of the way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Would it be impossible for them to do that in Season 2? Because Black Noir doesn't really do anything this season. Basically the only of the Seven with nothing going on. It seemed like they were saving him.

they've already done stuff that would make it difficult - in the comic i'm pretty sure homelander doesn't go all out "who the gently caress cares about people" until he throws the family in the car and is conflicted about what pictures are showing and not remembering the stuff happening.

tino posted:

What happens with this part? You guys can go ahead can spoiler the comic for me. I want to know.

black noir is a clone of homelander put in place to kill him as a failsafe by the company (none of the team knows this). but noir goes insane from never getting the order to kill and starts doing hosed up poo poo dressed as homelander and sending the pictures to homelander to bait him into acting in a way that'd cause the company to give the kill order. in the comic noir's the one that rapes butcher's wife and butcher witnesses the baby claw its way out of his wife (it also flies around and shoots lasers and butcher has to beat it to death). black noir sending the pictures to homelander eventually gaslights homelander into becoming totally detached from humanity and go full sociopath since what the hell he's been doing all this awful poo poo he doesn't remember...

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 28, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tino posted:

In the comics, it turns out that Black Noir is a clone of Homelander. And he's an absolute sociopath. HL's shown pictures of himself, like, mutilating people and eating a baby, and starts cracking up, like 'Huh, I guess I did it but don't remember...'. BN was the one doing that.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

they've already done stuff that would make it difficult - in the comic i'm pretty sure homelander doesn't go all out "who the gently caress cares about people" until he throws the family in the car and is conflicted about what pictures are showing and not remembering the stuff happening.

black noir is a clone of homelander put in place to kill him as a failsafe by the company (none of the team knows this). but noir goes insane from never getting the order to kill and starts doing hosed up poo poo dressed as homelander and sending the pictures to homelander to bait him into acting in a way that'd cause the company to give the kill order. in the comic noir's the one that rapes butcher's wife and butcher witnesses the baby claw its way out of his wife (it also flies around and shoots lasers and butcher has to beat it to death). black noir sending the pictures to homelander eventually gaslights homelander into becoming totally detached from humanity and go full sociopath since what the hell he's been doing all this awful poo poo he doesn't remember...

That read like a bad plot to me since it excuses Homelander of all his bad deeds. The show focuses the blame to the mad scientist corporate lab and Homelander himself. Also, does Homelander have a civilian name?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Finished this yesterday and I've got a lot of mixed feelings on it. It's a shame that the first couple episodes are just so off putting because the second half of the season is actually pretty good. Like the stuff with the Deep would've been more entertaining if he wasn't a literal rapist. Honestly all the sex stuff on this show is pretty bad.
High point for me was the scene where they introduce The Mesmerizer, that was real good and I wish the tone of the show was closer to that more of the time.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

tino posted:

That read like a bad plot to me since it excuses Homelander of all his bad deeds. The show focuses the blame to the mad scientist corporate lab and Homelander himself. Also, does Homelander have a civilian name?

He's called John at one point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tino posted:

it doesn't absolve of him since he could've not started doing hosed up poo poo on his own (and he's not a good person before he's gaslit into being completely inhuman). obviously he was always a sociopath deep down if these pictures of events he doesn't remember make him go ahh gently caress it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Love the show. Watched the whole thing over the past 2 days.

But Homelander is a stupid superhero name.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only thing about the Black Noir spoilers I imagine they're keeping is the bit about him being a Homelander failsafe. Currently there is nothing introduced in the TV universe that can even conceivably be a threat to him, much less harm him. For most of the season he's been death incarnate.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Romes128 posted:

I thought it was a decent name? Avoids calling him SuperDude or CaptainUnitedStates or whatever, and evokes the idea of DHS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MiddleOne posted:

The only thing about the Black Noir spoilers I imagine they're keeping is the bit about him being a Homelander failsafe. Currently there is nothing introduced in the TV universe that can even conceivably be a threat to him, much less harm him. For most of the season he's been death incarnate.

Well, also, I didn't read many of the comics, but Did they have the baby grow up in the comics? Someone just said Butcher kills the child because it had tons of powers. So it seems like they've shifted the plots possibly, instead of a Homelander clone they have Homelander Jr. He's still clearly being raised as a replacement for Homelander, they talked about how having him grow up in a lab made him a sociopath and he needs to have a mother.

But then, I don't see Homelander Jr doing those things that Black Noire did in the comics, so it'll definitely have to be a different story here either way. But I agree that I like the idea of keeping Homelander responsible for his actions instead of having him actually just be framed and/or manipulated.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The show does about 90% of what it needed to rounding off Garth Ennis' sillier habits, like rape-as-motivator and excessive grossout humor. I think a lot of the variations from the comics are improvements.

1. Changing the root of Homelander's mental descent from "Black Noir gaslighting" to "slowly realizes absolutely nobody can stop him" seems more realistic for TV. The first was a good twist ending for a long-running comic. The second is better to pace out over several seasons of a TV show.

2. Turning The Deep from a one-note "Aquaman is lame" joke into the #MeToo karma victim is a much better choice. Chace Crawford does a fantastic job as the spoiled meathead who actually cares about something nobody else does. The career descent is a good comic beat to keep coming back to. Only complaint is the gill-rape scene could have been filmed much better.

3.Annie/Starlight is wayyyyy more 3-dimensional and believable in this show as the good Christian girl confronting how the world really works. And Hughie's slow progression from gape-mouthed audience insert to adjusting-on-the-fly badass is much more enjoyable here.

The shock and gore poo poo toned down as it went on, which is good. You want to keep payoffs like weaponized Cyclops infant rare and impactful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My question at the end: Did Homelander save Stillwell's baby, or did it die in the explosion? My original assumption was that Stillwell was giving Compound V to her own baby, to create a superhero that she was the mother of and wasn't as crazy as Homelander. But then we got the twist at the end that Homelander's baby is still alive, so... is Stillwell's baby just dead?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think it's safe to say it's dead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny that stillwell in the comic was one of the very few characters to survive to the end if i remember correctly.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Enjoyed the season and after reading a bit on some wikis about the comics differences.... I'm glad they're changing stuff

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Romes128 posted:

blame bush for destroying the wtc. the comic was very much written with 9/11 in mind

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Romes128 posted:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So its heavily implied Becca was not raped? That she went from a happy (we haven't been shown otherwise) marriage to loving the company mascot and was only upset because she got pregnant (or was that part of some plan?), which people say is impossible..Somebody said earlier that Translucent had a son though. Re: Black Noir being the clone of Homelander as a fail safe in case Homelander goes crazy seems like the stupidest idea, instead of one all powerful potential world destroyer you have two, who could both be crazy. Was there any justification for this? The gut punch to Butcher by Homelander at the end was supreme. I can see HL telling BB to raise his kid for him just to rub much salt into that particular wound.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I dunno the only thing he does this season is fight kimiko and not overwhelmingly dominate her.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

So its heavily implied Becca was not raped? That she went from a happy (we haven't been shown otherwise) marriage to loving the company mascot and was only upset because she got pregnant (or was that part of some plan?), which people say is impossible..Somebody said earlier that Translucent had a son though. Re: Black Noir being the clone of Homelander as a fail safe in case Homelander goes crazy seems like the stupidest idea, instead of one all powerful potential world destroyer you have two, who could both be crazy. Was there any justification for this? The gut punch to Butcher by Homelander at the end was supreme. I can see HL telling BB to raise his kid for him just to rub much salt into that particular wound.

Uh, no? I mean maybe but I don't see "heavily implied". Just because you raise the baby doesn't mean it wasn't rape. She didn't look happy to see homelander and the boy didn't know his father, although for other reasons too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Toronto is freakin' Ground Zero for supes.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's funny that stillwell in the comic was one of the very few characters to survive to the end if i remember correctly.

I don't like Stillwell gets killed so soon. Homelander and Stilkwell are the 2 best characters in the show period. Everything else is on the Mark Miller or Umbrella Academy level of lamer comic tier. Their conflict is the best part of the show and they should spend a good season on it, like Queen Cersei vs Queen Matgaery type of major fuel you got to run it and let people take sides.

All this stuff about Stillwell's baby is getting pushed aside so fast we don't even know who the father is and what happened to the father. Also if Stillwell is using Homelander's breastfeeding fetish to manipulate him when did she use in the previous 6 years when she didn't have a baby?

And this "be honest with each other" thing is a laugh because I thought Homelander and Stillwell are just gently caress buddies, not dating. I wouldn't be surprised if Homeland laser every women he go out with.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, no? I mean maybe but I don't see "heavily implied". Just because you raise the baby doesn't mean it wasn't rape. She didn't look happy to see homelander and the boy didn't know his father, although for other reasons too.

The only people who have said it was a rape, is Mallory, who basically tells Butcher that is what has happened, shows him some video, and wants to recruit him to her team. And Butcher himself, who believes what Mallory tells him, because his wife was acting strange, not telling him what was wrong, then disappeared. That is it. I say implied because, from what we have been shown, Becca didn't tell Billy it was anything. For all we know she could have been artificially impregnated by Vought for the purposes of raising an anti-Homelander and she got cold feet or something. The video Mallory had could have been fake and Homelander boasting to Butcher at the end could just be to gently caress with Billy's head, which he did with aplomb right at the end there. Becca was looking at Billy the entire scene, not Homelander, or her son.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Re: the ending, I wouldn't read too much into whether or not Becca's rape occurred. At this point, it could literally be anything.

Also about Stilwell's baby, I doubt the super-baby poo poo comes into play there. It just seems like the standard "high-powered career woman felt her biological clock ticking" subplot, meshed with Homelander's mommy issues..

I do like Homelander's characterization here. It reminds me of the actress who played Luv in Blade Runner 2049 saying that her character is about at the emotional maturity level of a 13 year old. "Great power in the hands of people mentally unequipped to handle it" is fertile story ground.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

GD_American posted:

Re: the ending, I wouldn't read too much into whether or not Becca's rape occurred. At this point, it could literally be anything.

Yeah, Sillwell could have given Homelander a handbreezy to get his juice. Billy and Becca could have been doing IVF and Vough offered to help her etc. The only thing we do know is that it hasn't gone down like it did in the comic but there still needed to be motivation for the Butcherman so...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
the security cam footage showing Becca coming out of Homelander's room seemed to imply rape to me, she was clearly coming out of the room in a distraught state, holding her shoes in her hands and all like someone who was leaving that room in a hurry.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

emanresu tnuocca posted:

the security cam footage showing Becca coming out of Homelander's room seemed to imply rape to me, she was clearly coming out of the room in a distraught state, holding her shoes in her hands and all like someone who was leaving that room in a hurry.

It felt ambiguous to me, that it could have been either that or just her feeling bad for having cheated with someone

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Chris Pine should be a little worried. Starr could be slotted into pretty much any role of his, including Kirk.

If anything, the way they've got him dolled up, he looks like what would happen if you blended Chris Pine and Michael Fassbender together.

He looks more like a younger Bradley Cooper to me, especially in the way he grins.

I liked that the super terrorist is named "the Captain". I hope he gets a marvel-esque costume next season, to drive the point home.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah i know its supposed to invoke that.

It's still a dumb superhero name.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's such a corporate cheese-dick superhero name though, like they focus grouped it. non-offensive pablum.

the only thing missing from homelander's name and image is a baseball cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Romes128 posted:

Yeah i know its supposed to invoke that.

It's still a dumb superhero name.

pretty much all the names are terrible and i'm thinking that was the point.