Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Poison apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
See, The Boys S1 was pretty on the ball with it being about modern consumer culture and capitalism and the Disney entertainment complex, and now they seem to have accidentally hit on the nose with the massive anti-supe protests being murdered in cold blood. It would be interesting to see what they make of it.

It's probably not that predictive though, there were shitloads of protests pre-2020.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

sponges posted:

How the heck are they planning to kill Homelander?

So I watched a video on Youtube the other day explaining what happens to the characters in the original comics which was full of spoilers, obviously, and I really hope they do what was in the comics because I think its awesome. I rewatched the first season with it fresh in my mind and me it made me think about a few scenes in different way than before.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

sponges posted:

Could do what they did with the invisible dude. Put a bomb up his butthole.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

sponges posted:

He's an on-the-nose superman expy so there must be a kryptonite!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'd try to OD him on that serum, maybe in a gas form. But there's a fair chance that makes him way stronger. But if it's a hail mary or nothing, gently caress it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ded posted:

Could do what they did with the invisible dude. Put a bomb up his butthole.

I want to see them do this just so I can watch Homelander :smug: about it when it doesn't work.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The first and very major problem would be to apply the assbomb in the first place, or any other measure for that matter. Homelander probably wont fall for the old colonoscopy trick.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

The first and very major problem would be to apply the assbomb in the first place, or any other measure for that matter. Homelander probably wont fall for the old colonoscopy trick.

Not now you mentioned it :mad:

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Homelander is a goon?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only way to hurt Homelander would be to hit him with like a tungsten rod dropped from a satellite. His unbreakable body functions like a crash helmet, your only hope is to scramble his brain inside his own skull with an impact weapon, like a rail gun, IMO.

I’m suddenly reminded of Alan Moore’s legendary Swamp Thing run, featuring a bored and busy Lex Luthor being hired as a consultant to help Gotham take out Swamp Thing because Batman tried to stop him and got his pants pulled down.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I do think we've gone too far into serialization for many shows; it leads to, for want of a better word, plot burnout. The nice thing about one-off episodes is that it creates a kind of baseline for a show; a ground state to measure the metaplot episodes against. If every day is change and crisis, you have no feel for what's being changed; you need a few regular days at the office to compare the disasters to.

In that vein think The Boys would be improved by a few episodes of The Boys dealing with a supe of the week.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

In that vein think The Boys would be improved by a few episodes of The Boys dealing with a supe of the week.

This show is good, really good. Maybe too good. Can we make it a little bit worse?? Maybe make it just a smidge less gripping, maybe turn into a tiny bit of a slog here and there? Yeah, there we go, that's perfect

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Boys never had a pure episodic interlude but it was good with having little sub-plots come up that would be resolved within a few eps so the whole thing wasn't just one giant snowball rolling towards the cliff of the finale.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sponges posted:

A mirror that can reflect lasers

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

etalian posted:

A mirror that can reflect lasers

But that's how he shaves.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The standard comic nerd ideas for killing 'invulnerable' people is asphyxiation.

Either find a way to drown them, toss them into space, or use an inert gas.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The standard comic nerd ideas for killing 'invulnerable' people is asphyxiation.

I still don't understand why that wouldn't have worked on Translucent. Diamond hard skin shouldn't help you hold your breath a long time or to breath underwater.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I still don't understand why that wouldn't have worked on Translucent. Diamond hard skin shouldn't help you hold your breath a long time or to breath underwater.

Probably somthing about constructing the deathtraps. You can't easily capture Translucent, tie him to a chair and pull a plastic bag over his head. He will just break the chair and gently caress you (up). If you want to tie a big concrete block around his foot and throw him in the ocean, you first have to get him to hold still. And the Deep will probably free him, anyway.

It has to be a method were the supe is restrained and there is no margin for error. It's worse for Homelander, you'd first have to figure out a way to reliably restrain him before you should even consider planning to kill him.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If there's any upper limit to his super strength/eye lasers I guess if you could collapse a sufficiently large amount of earth on him, like by luring him into a deep cavern?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

If there's any upper limit to his super strength/eye lasers I guess if you could collapse a sufficiently large amount of earth on him, like by luring him into a deep cavern?

The thing with that is, it's unlikely that Homelander's upper limits have ever been tested. And even if they were, he could have been purposefully holding back. That's what happens in JM Straczynski's Supreme Power, where the US Army unit in charge of Project Hyperion starts making plans to kill Superman-analogue Mark Milton from the moment he's found. Mark conceals his ability to fly for as long as possible, and eventually refuses to submit to further testing on the very good basis that nobody can make him. When they finally try to dispose of him as a threat, they use a nuke - and it's not enough. Vought have the same problem: they don't know exactly what they've made, and neither they nor Butcher can afford to be wrong if they go against him.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

This show is good, really good. Maybe too good. Can we make it a little bit worse?? Maybe make it just a smidge less gripping, maybe turn into a tiny bit of a slog here and there? Yeah, there we go, that's perfect

Nah, 1. the main problem I have with this show atm is with the boys themselves, the show generally doesent seem to be as interested in them as it is in the seven. I’d like to see the team do team stuff and establish a dynamic before they get rocked and that dynamic disturbed.

2. Self contained episodes are good, actually

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There was a LOT to complain about in the Marvel Netflix comic book shows but they actually bring this up in Luke Cage S1 and then ignore it. Henchmen are like “he’s bulletproof!” and the boss is like “drown him, set him on fire, pour acid on him, something’s gotta work!” and then the writers just.. like ignore their own awesome idea and just write “magic bullets that kill bulletproof people” into the script with absolutely no shame or self-doubt. It would be kinda respectable if it weren’t so lazy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They did kinda go back with the drowning idea in season 2.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm just excited get another season of crazy Antony Starr acting as Homelander.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

etalian posted:

I'm just excited get another season of crazy Antony Starr acting as Homelander.

yeah, honestly bury him in emmies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sponges posted:

Aerisolized Compound-V mixed with hallucinogens to make him lose control and either burn himself out or tunnel through a volcano/fly into deep space.

Maybe they'll have Starlight cap him, tho.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly i wouldnt be surprised if the way Homelander goes out is Butcher taking so much compound V he is actively overdosing and flying Homelander straight into the sun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m usually opposed to this sort of thing but Homelander would be a great villain to actually just beat to death in a fight Doomsday vs Superman style. Like his character’s smugness comes from knowing he’s a walking natural disaster, actually watching him realize that he’s losing the fight and is gonna die would be amazing, especially given the strengths of the actor.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah done right watching him try to get his head around not having the immediate, Godlike upper hand and maybe even having to break down and beg would be satisfying.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Theres all sort of fun character stuff to do with it, like the fact that Butcher has been in a real fight with a chance of losing before and Homelander hasnt.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Homie has enough jerk in him to pretend to be affected by NaziLightning only to be like "off yeah right :headpunch:" when convenient. Might be good to see him fake being hurt by it tho.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

AnEdgelord posted:

Theres all sort of fun character stuff to do with it, like the fact that Butcher has been in a real fight with a chance of losing before and Homelander hasnt.
Do you think they'll touch on Butcher's background as a Falklands vet? Because that was some heinous poo poo to put a 17-year old through.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

2. Self contained episodes are good, actually

I feel like this is an artifact of network TV schedules more than anything. If The Boys ran for 13 episodes, yeah, they'd need to mix it up and throw in a couple breaks from the season arc. But streaming shows aren't beholden to arbitrary season lengths and don't need to pad out their run to meet an order. That's the other side of the streaming/serialization debate; streaming schedules allows shows to tell much tighter stories than were ever practical in the network TV era. Shows that try to do the heavily serialized format and drag it out really suck, yeah, but the best solution is generally to just cut out the cruft entirely, not to replace it with filler.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

I feel like this is an artifact of network TV schedules more than anything. If The Boys ran for 13 episodes, yeah, they'd need to mix it up and throw in a couple breaks from the season arc. But streaming shows aren't beholden to arbitrary season lengths and don't need to pad out their run to meet an order. That's the other side of the streaming/serialization debate; streaming schedules allows shows to tell much tighter stories than were ever practical in the network TV era. Shows that try to do the heavily serialized format and drag it out really suck, yeah, but the best solution is generally to just cut out the cruft entirely, not to replace it with filler.

Not saying you're wrong but the dogshit pacing of everything Netflix puts out (every marvel hero beat em up spins its wheels from like eps 4-7; Stranger Things Season 1 could have been a 130 minute movie, easily) sure does not leverage this advantage of the format.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jedit posted:

The thing with that is, it's unlikely that Homelander's upper limits have ever been tested. And even if they were, he could have been purposefully holding back. That's what happens in JM Straczynski's Supreme Power, where the US Army unit in charge of Project Hyperion starts making plans to kill Superman-analogue Mark Milton from the moment he's found. Mark conceals his ability to fly for as long as possible, and eventually refuses to submit to further testing on the very good basis that nobody can make him. When they finally try to dispose of him as a threat, they use a nuke - and it's not enough.

Isn't this literally the plot of Miracle Man?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m usually opposed to this sort of thing but Homelander would be a great villain to actually just beat to death in a fight Doomsday vs Superman style. Like his character’s smugness comes from knowing he’s a walking natural disaster, actually watching him realize that he’s losing the fight and is gonna die would be amazing, especially given the strengths of the actor.

I remember reading someone asking who would win in a fight- Homelander or Superman. And the response was Superman simply because he's actually faced off against powerful villains and gotten his rear end kicked more than once. Homelander is the guy who only plays basketball against a bunch of little kids and think that because he crushes them every time that he's the best. I'd love to see how he'd react to realizing he's losing a fight...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PeterCat posted:

Isn't this literally the plot of Miracle Man?
The part where they drop a nuke on him? Yes.

Originally the solution to Hyperion was something like drive a diamond-tipped wedge into the toddler version of him at a speed of, like, mach 2 to pierce the skin. They scaled up to get him underground and nuke him because they realized there wasn't a way in hell their first plan could work anymore.

For Marvelman it was more "hey what if these godpowered assholes who have been fed funny oops wake up and have an existential crisis and decide not to be Billy fuckin Batson?". I forget if the Nuke was just this is the hardest hot we have or some *disrupt the quantum link* bullshit

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 10, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

FilthyImp posted:

Aerisolized Compound-V mixed with hallucinogens to make him lose control and either burn himself out or tunnel through a volcano/fly into deep space.

Maybe they'll have Starlight cap him, tho.

He did seem pretty wary of Starlight (or at least considered her a threat enough to not take chances) but there's no guarantee that he isn't invulnerable enough to take a hit from her and keep going or just crater her before she can act. If Black Noir can take a full blast from the terrorist guy and walk away then presumably Homelander is tougher than that.

I don't know how they resolve it, especially if they don't introduce the idea of the Boys taking compound-v themselves. Probably something to do with Kid Homelander and turning him or using him to get Homelander to stand down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or maybe the Homelander we know is the beta-lame-o version with an obvious Death Star kill switch and You-Know-Who is the real one