Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

6 hours is a weak freakin' punishment for that garbage

It is way too late in The Internet to treat stuff like what Bioshuffle is saying as an innocent mistake or something. It is 100% straight out of the playbook of alt-right trash that has no place on this site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hey guys what if Black Noir is Butcher somehow

Have they been in the same room together? I can't remember any particular moments, but this would be a hilarious (albeit stupid) plot twist to me

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've been realizing that Antony Starr (Homelander actor) is reminding me a lot of Betty Gilpin in GLOW. They sorta resemble each other at times, but mostly I mean they both are amazing at acting with their faces. They contort their expressions so wildly but without ever coming off as goofy or cartoonish, it's just super fun to watch them go.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Extremely old lightning wizard seduces the most powerful being in the world, whose parentage is shrouded in mystery and maybe unnatural.

Ok wizard is a stretch, but still I can't help but think they'll make at least a joke of the Star Wars prequels parallel at some point. The lightning really reminded me of Palpatine in this episode.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

The episode 7 sneak peak from the Episode 6 aftershow has Stormfront and Homelander visiting Ryan and Becca, with Homelander saying they will be around a lot more to start a proper family which will probably lead to Becca making a break with Ryan and begging Butcher to help which was in the episode summary from before
I would be seriously worried that if Homelander gets convinced he's fixed his own internal problems with relationships, he might think he and his lady are good enough parents and don't need Becca around anymore.

I fuckin loved the flowers + note moment, Homelander is utterly a child and it's played so convincingly that it manages to be tragic that he's murdering innocent people and banging Nazis

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alchenar posted:

You don't need to spoil things now the episode has aired.

I'm also in two minds about how Butcher reacted when Hughie got hurt. There was a little bit of whiplash at how his demeanour flipped like a lightbulb the moment he realised Hughie was hurt, but on the whole I think it shows how much Butcher has closed off and compartmentalised his personality - he's gruff and dismissive up until the point at which it actually matters, at which point the unnecessary facade gets dropped. We've also always known that Butcher does actually care about Hughie, which is why he takes an enormous risk to save him from Homelander.
I think the previous episode had an element of Butcher's facade getting cracked a bit by revealing Hughie obviously reminds him of his little bro.

The carjacking scene was genuinely gross and depressing but I really loved how it reflects the show's commitment to its characters and the realities of violence; Butcher is genuinely a bad person who happens to have enemies far worse than him, and there's no such thing as safe violence. I love that the show is calling out other comic booky media stuff and specifically Whedon; for me it's not just a matter of dialogue or style, but the way the Marvel stuff combines some BS sense of realism (through dry, cynical banter) with violence also being mostly a completely controlled exercise. In this show the simplest use of powers might result in an unintended death, even one that doesn't have some big dramatic arc to it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I don't remember the novel Song of Solomon super well, but the main character, Macon Dead III, is given the nickname of "Milkman" and it sticks with him all his life because he was breastfed until he was like four. It deals heavily with the Black experience in America and mythology related to people being able to fly to escape slavery, racism, etc. Mother's Milk kinda maybe works as a reference to that? Would be... interesting if Ennis intended that, given the comics' apparently terrible handling of Black characters, but who knows.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I really doubt it was Cindy. Stormfront and Homelander standing in the middle of the room while everyone panics leads me to think they knew what was going on.
Disagree. I think Homelander is just a guy who has literally never once in his life feared for his own safety. He doesn't even know what it's like to be in physical danger, and probably assumes the head pops can't hurt him. He's probably right too since, you know, that would be a real lame way to take out the most interesting character in the show. I thought he was just slowly looking around the room, stunned and curious about what might be causing this strange outcome. As for Stormfront ehhh who knows.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wait, holy poo poo, I realized who the new big bad is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I get people's reason for suspecting the church is behind a lot of stuff, but with how this show has repeatedly upped the ante in terms of addressing extremely relevant current political issues very directly, it would be kinda weird to have this much mystery and buildup lead to... "the dumb parody of Scientology did it."

I can't help but suspect that, like the Deep's attempts at a redemption arc getting poo poo on over and over, the Church may just be a bit player thinking it's relevant that will be swatted aside like a bug when poo poo actually matters. Cause there's too much villainy going on that actually carries a lot of tension and fear to just be like "uhhh cults are bad?" at the end of this.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Hasn't it been proven before that Scientology has actually infiltrated government up to some distressingly high levels of power? That fits in pretty well with the show version of Scientology attempting to infiltrate Vought. Just because they're a crazy cult doesn't mean they are harmless, or don't hold a disturbing amount of power. I feel like examining the power grabs of the various factions of the wealthy and how they end up running circles around government actors is pretty on-brand for the show.

Not to mention, Scientology cult that is run by some of the wealthiest people on the planet. That connects pretty well to supes just being analogues of the real life ultra-rich.
I guess I just think the focus on racism being used to do stuff like encourage average Americans to murder minorities would end up coming off as very... exploitative if it then was just used to build up to a twist of "but what about cults? they're bad too heh"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm hoping for a scene of Stormfront using Force Lightning on some sad/innocent person who Homelander feels bad for, him looking back and forth like Darth Vader deciding to save Luke, and then just being like "eh, gently caress it, I'll just keep being evil"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TheDon01 posted:

What I dont quite get, and I guess that they could address next season is in that final homelander press conference they say that Stormfront was the head popper perp and that shes still alive and captive and they'll punish her.

You would think the US govt. who just had a bunch of senators and witnesses murdered in the capitol wouldnt let the nazi company with the nazi employee turned terrorist be their own jailer and jury/judge.
Wouldn't be too surprised if a big company going "we're sorry... we're really sorry. so sorry" is enough to get them let off the hook to a ridiculous extent

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

The show is riddled with people threatening other people with personal dirt, and any time personal dirt gets released the bad guys basically hop on TV and "Nuh-unh" the controversy all gone.
When has this happened? The opposite has been shown repeatedly now, what with Vaught instantly being down to throw both The Deep and Stormfront under the bus when they decided it could benefit them (and who knows, maybe Stan Edgar was particularly willing to gently caress over Stormfront too...) The "dirt" on Maeve being released also led to her feeling even more trapped than before.

The problem is that the dirt is always on individuals but the system is not really designed to address Vought being the actual villain; the dirt keeps serving its purpose though, which is why Homelander is terrified. He's "pushed to the brink," sure, but he has literally no non-public persona. No secret identity. He knows that if he ever truly loses the public, he has literally nothing; it makes perfect sense that he's genuinely terrified of that, along with being terrified that Vought will be willing to name him an enemy the moment they think they have a way to beat him.

I guess this is mostly contrasted with the release of the info about Compound V, which I would argue is not personal dirt at all. I think it works perfectly to show that everyone is outraged about individual scandals but when the corporation is caught red-handed it ends up handwaved away.

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 11, 2020

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Lamplighter thing was just weird to me because he straight up told Mallory that killing him would be doing him a favor as though he's been suicidally guilty since he killed her grandkids and he could've self-immolated anytime he wanted to but didn't, and then a couple days later when Hughie convinces him that he could do something useful and heroic to make his father proud he goes along with it and then kills himself for no reason. Rescuing Starlight and her mom and then testifying against Vought could have been a fresh start for him and could have set him on the path to do more good things (that wouldn't necessarily redeem him but would at least make his father proud) but then he just suddenly works up the courage to piss it all away and kill himself out of nowhere? K?

My guess is that the writers didn't want The Boys to start amassing supe allies beyond Kimiko so they had to find a way to kill him off, although they could've just had him get his head popped during the hearing too.
Genuinely suicidal people aren't known for following logic that appears super rational to others. They didn't realize how over the edge he was, and finding himself back in that room just triggered something in him and he seemed to feel it would make a statement. I didn't think there was anything "wrong" with that somehow making sense to him in that moment.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Who are the two men raising the kid? I think there's gonna be an entire department raising lil homie, but at worst it'll be Mallory.
Butcher and Mother's Milk are both Hughie's dads now

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

today i learned that Antony Starr was in Xena way back when he was a baby boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWt5ViA_ORE
In case you missed it earlier, so was Karl Urban! Weird: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-aFuiQKwe4&t=12s

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

pile of brown posted:

Not excusable, but if you're the type who is prone to getting blackout drunk in bars you've probably been involved in something similar. I've had injuries on that level from drunkenly horsing around with friends I didn't press charges on. Fun to explain my black eye and hosed up face to my boss at my customer facing job after my friend and I decided we really needed to duel with kendo swords at 1am in my backyard though.
Quoting this for a solid wtf. Lots of people abuse alcohol without violence being involved in any way, and attacking a stranger for asking you to calm down has nothing to do with drunkenly doing stupid poo poo with a friend.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if Soldier Boy gives some speech about how this modern world disgusts him; it would be a good way to justify him going absolutely kamikaze and just trying to destroy everything. Either that or, he specifically wants to take out Homelander so he can take back his power and "set things right." He doesn't really need to be super bigoted in any particular way for that to work but it would also make sense if he is. I just, feel like we're more likely to get bad revelations about him than anything pleasant you know?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

From what I've skimmed about Wanted and Millar's... other offerings... idk that doesn't really track with me. Invisibles is certainly weird and incorporates a ton of real-world conspiracy theory stuff + psychedelic and mythological imagery in a really unique way but like, it's actually weird. Not just "edgy 13 year old saying as many swears as possible" weird.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maybe A-Train will say "gently caress it," use his powers one last time to take out a bad guy and actually act sort of heroic, and then explode gruesomely

Or, you know, this show being what it is, maybe he'll try to do that and Homelander will effortlessly clothesline his head off. Would be a good way to get something like the Maeve ending from the comic.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Why is it called the boys if theres a girl
it's an acronym, idiot

Bugger Off, Ya Supes (in Butcher's voice)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

tbh the original Churchill quote seems like him being a complete dickhead out of nowhere... like "haha Winston you're drunk" "oh yeah bitch?? well you're ugly!!!"

I kinda liked Butcher's use of it better.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Stuff being dated in media is cool.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think of Homelander's mirror talk as like, a child's play exercise that when still performed by an adult seems way more insane and unhinged, just like his breastfeeding stuff. Psychologically he's genuinely close to being a toddler at times.

And it also adds a layer to his experience with Doppelganger; he's almost into someone mimicking him, but no one else could do his mirror game just right.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the guy with the bug wings was the only other one, and he got blown up in Nicaragua. So it should just be Black Noir left.

e: oops, forgot Mindstorm.

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 25, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was actually really impressed with how they handled Homelander fighting. Given how unaccustomed to real fights he is, he actually did a great job of realizing over the course of like a minute that he was in actual danger and ramping up his efforts. I'm fine with him not just dwarfing every other character in absolute strength levels, but he'll probably become a lot more willing to fight dirty and use whatever cowardly tactics work for him: just laser people from a distance, fly them into space, that kind of thing. IMO the show always works best when it perversely gets us to root for Homelander, so him being in a lot more danger than he expected is awesome to me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Why would they never show Soldier Boy using his energy beam before being experimented on, if he had it all along? That is silly.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

pik_d posted:

Edit: As for why we didn't see him use it before? We saw the battle from Mallory's POV, and she got knocked out for the part of the fight where Soldier Boy was captured. She saw him for about 5 seconds.
My point is that it would be bad and confusing storytelling, not that you can't come up with a plot justification.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My new hope is a dramatic moment where a villain's about to win until Hughie teleports completely inside of them and explodes out of them like the Koolaid Man.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

VNN: Stunning news today, the evil Homelander was finally defeated though it cost the hero who finally finished him off his own life. Let us forever remember the heroic sacrifice of.... Termite!
Hughie (in a bodycast): God loving dammit.
Well poo poo I was forgetting we've basically already seen that. That kinda limits the options for Hughie pulling off badass moves.

In my defense some of the gore starts to really... blend together... hmm, poor choice of words.

Martman fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 26, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

He starts with a reasonable point, but is really ignoring how pathetic Homelander is in this show. And like, that's why it gets review bombed by trolls and stuff. They took a guy like Homelander who often would just be portrayed as Evil Powerful Killer Guy, and made him a pitiful broken sensitive snowflake pervert degenerate dude. I think the writers deserve credit for really making it basically impossible to completely unironically worship the character.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I don't think a right-wing portrayal of Hitler would have him crying and talking to his imaginary missing ball tho

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

A-Train knew he had problems, but he's had this thing for a while about resting up, recharging and healing. Now he knows he's not going to heal. That's the point where the last stand works in drama - when you can't lie to yourself any more that there's hope. It's a significant difference.
Right, that's why he took his last stand by killing Blue Hawk knowing he would die in the process.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I could imagine a moment where Homelander gets depowered, and in his weakness suddenly notices how beautiful the world can be, right before getting squished.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

She did the livestream in the worst way possible. Just a bunch of vague “vaught bad” instead of going “Homelander crashed that plane and there’s a video of it and also he killed Supersonic. Neuman is the headpopper. A-Train tried to kill me once but had a heart attack from abusing V and can’t run good no more.”
I dunno, her millions of fans are probably like K Pop stans. Who can say how best to take advantage of their dangerous minds

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

We have to go back, Kate... back to the days of Lost-thread posting quality

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

roomtone posted:

I don't really understand what's horrific about having blue hawk's heart. 'haha idiot, i didn't just kill you, now your organs work for me'

it isn't like he's going to suddenly start thinking like blue hawk because he's using his heart to pump blood around his body. although that would be pretty funny.

a-train could still just walk out of vought with this heart. they can't catch him.

it's a cool denouement to the blue hawk story is all. there's no downside.
I think it's more that A-Train quickly realizes (or at least fears) he's gonna go back to being a coward and serving as Vought's fake progressive token minority dude. So he's realizing his one heroic act didn't actually change who he is, and now with the heart he's both metaphorically and literally sustained by Vought's racism.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If Stormfront is "coming back" it could just be in flashback form when they establish that she's Homelander's mom just to really send him over the deep end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah it would be really awkward to have a heart-to-heart with a bunch of strangers like that