Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

butcher is very deliberately radicalising hughie over time because they want to compare the boys to a terrorist cell because the comics were written in 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i think its cindy popping the heads. we're gonna get a flashback of lamplighter making her practice using her powers by showing her a photo or surveillance of the cia lady and then another one of her sitting at a bar and seeing vogelbaum on the tv and getting agitated. AOC only escaped because she ran to the back wall of the room so she wasn't in the tv camera's wide shot. I have no idea why they'd go through the trouble of introducing her character and abilities otherwise unless theyre going for a big fakeout.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Only way it's Cindy is if the first kill (gov lady) was done under Vought and now she's been indoctrinated and is killing for the cult.

why? vogelbaum ran the facility for years and she wasn't that hesitant to kill everyone who tortured her on her way out

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I think if she hadn't been melted stormfront might've been cut from the seven and thats it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Men

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i dont think homelander is not racist or anything but from that last conversation with stormfront he definitely thinks that being a nazi is loser poo poo, both from the perspective of getting people to like you and from the perspective of identifying with anyone who doesn't have super powers

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this season feels a little bit more current, is it drawing less on the extremely 2003 comics than the first two?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did you mean sexually abusive? Because that was a lie.
lol people are still misreading the gay couple scene

He's definitely an rear end in a top hat though. It would be a funny twist if he was just an rear end in a top hat who wanted to do drugs and party and not some insane monster, but I doubt it.

i would very funny it if he turned out to be payback's version of the deep

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I think this thread has had enough people triumphantly proclaiming that they understand the not at all subtle political subtext of the show to offbalance the two people who didn't get it now guys.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Baudolino posted:

The fact that the big bad is parody of Superman itself dates the show. The boys was not first the comic first to do" Superman but evil".
Now it almost feels a bit overused.

I feel like if The boys comic had been made today it would have focused more on a evil Batman or a evil Tony Stark character or possibly a parody of popular mangas and animes.

homelander wouldn't work at all if he had no powers and had to build poo poo for himself or prepare or whatever. Him being the 100 year old template for a superhero is the whole point - its the most childish and simple power fantasy stretched as thin as it possibly can.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this is probably right but I don't think you really need to get into the psychology of fascism here. these freaks love talking about any available piece of pop culture and will just pretend it secretly confirms their narrative even when it doesn't to be annoying on the internet. I've seen nazis say that man in the high castle is an epic blunder for the libs because of how cool it makes living under the nazis look

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i don't want kojima the boys but I am absolutely loving desperate for starr playing a kojima villain

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Martman posted:

I think it's more that A-Train quickly realizes (or at least fears) he's gonna go back to being a coward and serving as Vought's fake progressive token minority dude. So he's realizing his one heroic act didn't actually change who he is, and now with the heart he's both metaphorically and literally sustained by Vought's racism.

yea I think the theme of this whole season is that doing only big gestures isn't enough. everyone is being forced to work through their childhood trauma to learn that they have a responsibility to other people that goes beyond hurting bad guys.

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 2, 2022

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

please god I am 28 years old I do not need to read another round of posts about how animorphs are actually hosed up if you think about it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

In Hughie's apology scene, he uses his father as an example to articulate his revelation that strength isn't necessarily being able to protect your loved ones, it can also be buckling down and supporting & providing for them (and evidently never letting the mask slip so that your kid can grow up resenting you for it). I don't read this as Hughie having a revelation about toxic masculinity. It does read like he's realized that he doesn't need to let his own traumatic experiences dictate what he considers to be valid love and support.

This is such a weird distinction to make. Why can't it be both trauma and toxic masculinity?

Tender Bender posted:

I feel like the show's real world parallels are explicit and reasonable enough that an average conscious viewer can be expected to understand them. There are clearly a lot of people in the Boys universe who don't just believe Vought stuff as shown by the massive protests and Victoria's whole deal, there's clearly other sources of information like in our world. You're not wrong that it's pretty vague what their causes are or what like "Supe approval ratings" mean beyond advertising dollars, that's a world building problem. But it's not remotely confusing or distracting that we don't do a deep dive into the interior life of this dude. Homelander is on camera admitting to kidnapping, blackmail, and murder and Todd still goes to a rally, then cheers a live murder he watched happen in front of him. You're still here saying that the show has done zero work explaining why he's wrong and not just a nice guy who watches the news.
The worldbuilding just can't be taken literally if you think about it at all. Boys universe twitter would be completely overflowing with clips of supes committing insanely violent murders of civilians and theories about vought black ops teams

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 10, 2022

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The explicit theme of this entire season is that men struggle to process childhood trauma and that manifests as toxic masculinity in adulthood and completely succumbing to it turns you into a stupid baby that everyone hates

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

sure whatever go ahead and synthesize the thesis and antithesis

I'm not synthesising poo poo! half of the dialogue in the last three episodes is just making this explicit point!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

please stop engaging with the d&d guy everyone

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

FWIW I agree that this season of the show doesn't largely explore the ideology of Honelander's supporters. If you were watching this show without any familiarity with American politics I think you'd be absolutely lost.

You've got that one stepdad dude who has the scene where he gets energised by Honelander's speech, but the show doesn't follow any of the reactionaries, protestors, or counter protestors for the most part. There's no real attempt by any of them to articulate an ideology outside of screaming at each other.

I also agree that the show puts its fingers on the scale when it comes to condemning Butcher, Hughie, etc. and that the show can occasionally end up espousing centrist or contradictory political messages.

That said, I don't think anyone watching this show isn't familiar with Trump (and I don't really know what to do about any viewers who aren't, since I don't know them). And it's pretty clear that Homelander's supporters are violent reactionaries (as emblematised by stepdad), and that the show is pro-direct action, even violent direct action, in the face of psychotic and overwhelming fascism.

The finale has that moment where Mother's Milk and Frenchie talk about accepting the human capacity for violence and toxicity while also working towards protecting ourselves, and others, from that violence. I thought that scene was a better thesis concerning the themes of the season than any simplistic statement about toxic masculinity or trauma or whatever. (Though, obviously, it concerns both.)

I loved the reveal in the last scene that the stormfront guys are at the same rallies as the homelander guys. My prediction for the next season is homelander having to cope with the revelation that his obsessive fans are coming from the same place of insecurity as he is

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sneak peak of how The Boys are finally gonna get Homelander

https://i.imgur.com/bUI5C0H.mp4

he's such a little guy

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The system is compromised, but engaging in violence, illegal activity, allying with ugly subaltern groups, or playing by the other sides rules is unacceptable. When they go low we go high.

As a consolation prize for buying into this impotent cynicism, you get to swear and see gory violence.

is this supposed to be a bad deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Witeldram posted:

I never understood the sudden outrage at the politics in Season 3 because I thought the political messages were already extremely obvious and on-the-nose from the beginning lol.

Anhedonic cspam freaks talk themselves out of enjoying yet another piece of popular media