Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Swollen Member posted:

Fuel to the fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8LmEyA83c

Still, I think this kind of controversy is good for the show overall. Even bad publicity is still publicity.
The problem with stupid people thinking that actors *are* the characters they play is as old as time, or at least as theatre, and it won't go away anytime soon.

Edit: If anything, this is a cadeau to Aya Cash who's knocking it out of the park. I can't wait to see her mask slip further and further off during the rest of the season. OG Stormfront was way too on the nose. But Lady Stormfront makes fascism look cool - until you stop to think about it.

catching up with the thread and this video is awful and so are you for posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the goons in this thread start claiming Homelander and Doppleganger are the same character because they're portrayed by the same actor. Why even bother watching the show if they already have all the puzzle pieces figured out? It's baffling. To say the least.

There is absolutely no evidence in the show that they are the same, outside one sentence which could be interpreted a million different ways, and an accusation from someone who had one encounter, in the dark literally decades before the present. Don't forget that during the incident where Liberty kills the brother, she is wearing a hoodie, in the dark, and the girl is inside the car. That's outside the fact that witness testimony is notoriously unreliable. I'm going to bookmark this page so I can see how they backpedal when it turns out the whole thing was a red herring.

Lol that a goon named bioshuffle is somehow reincarnating arguments and the misconceptions behind them that lets black ppl get killed every day.

Just lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TraderStav posted:

This is my earliest memory of goons being really poo poo at watching TV

I just dont understand. Its ppl with no creative outlet just being dumbass as poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

This episode was very well constructed/directed, focusing on each character's romantic relationships (episode appropriately titled "Nothing Like It in the World"), even interspersing those mysterious dating site testimonials, and ending with how Homelander has decided to burn all personal connections.

I really enjoyed that someone with a vision was behind the camera.

yeah certainly everything feels intentional. A great break from so much TV, from GOT to your typical CW show, where scenes only occur to have actors have something to do.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

If you think about it, there are tons of people in their 70s and 80s who used to be racist during the Civil Rights movement who have realized the error of their ways since then, so it makes total sense. A redemption arc seems unlikely for this show though.

Lol come on

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1305049288922210305

I love the guy going Rudyard Kupling in his review

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

It's just plot armor. Let's not forget about how both Homelander and Stormfront conveniently ignoring Kimiko after Stomfront kills her terrorist brother. I mean, she's RIGHT THERE. This show's weak writing will crumble into pieces if you examine it too closely. It's best enjoyed from a distance.

Hey about you post from a distance like outta this thread you racist freak

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

fun article on the genesis of the Stormfront article I forgot to x out before

Part of the writers' take on Stormfront for the show, compared to the comics, came from "classic screenwriting math," Kripke tells EW over Zoom. "Which is you can’t present a character that is exactly who they appear to be." Stormfront from the comics, created by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, had a much smaller role as part of a superhero team called Payback. "But we knew the character needed to be a main character," he continues. "You almost always play a game as a screenwriter, which is [asking] 'OK, who are they really? Well, then our first impression of them is going to be the opposite of that.' We need her to not seem like a racist piece of sh— so then it’s a surprise that she is."

Another part, as far as gender-swapping the role, was the idea of introducing a female figure to the Seven who has no fear of Homelander (Antony Starr). That would be "his worst nightmare," Kripke says. But then the writers room took further inspiration from alt-right trolls on social media and platforms like Reddit. For better or worse, they all fell down "a lot of white supremacist rabbit holes," which Kripke called "horrific."

"So many of them are couched in new media, specifically reaching out to young people and gamers," he says. "The videos are like these cute girls who are saying the most hateful sh— but they are young and their noses are pierced. ‘Be a free thinker!’ They put on a new set of clothes but it’s the same hateful sh— that people have been saying for a thousand years... We wanted to recreate that experience for the audience, that the monsters are not wearing 1960s crewcuts. They are attractive and they’re savvy and you have to be aware of that."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

Welp. Looks like my analysis was way off the mark. So can we nip that in the bud and move on already?

lol no you're still hella terrible and uber creepy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Ok but, no.

You saw a woman with a fascist coded name, who called a man a racial slur while killing him, and said that she enjoyed killing and wanted to watch him visibly die, and your take was "she can be redeemed, she's not fascist scum". So either you have a lot of self insight, ideological dissection and reading to do to not be a fascist. Or you are a fascist.

Actually the most charitable interpretation here that I can think of is that she's hot and you wanted to gently caress her, and hoped she could be redeemed because of that.

edit: The cherry on the top here is that you're capable of recognising that Butcher has abusive tendencies but not Stormfront.

don't forget the part where he called her his favorite superhero after racially slurring and killing the asian guy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Pretty sure the war crimes mentioned in the promo refer to HL's terrorist slaughter from last season. He even lasered unarmed women trying to flee out a door. People would definetly look at the aftermath and want him prosecuted.

considering that it's pretty much how the strike against Osama Bin Laden went, including killing unarmed women, and it was celebrated as a triumph...i think not.

killing civilians doesn't even rate being mentioned in the paper.

e: talking about Homelander's work abroad shown earlier this season (or was it last?)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Lab grown" = from a powerful family lineage with all the burden & expectation that it carries

"Flying" = so unfettered by the challenges facing the lower and middle class as to be unaware of them entirely. They're literally beneath him.

"Laser man" = (seemingly) unchecked power and influence

None of the viewers are a lab-grown flying laser man, but plenty of viewers will pick up on what he represents.

Consider how Superman, despite being an alien from a spaceship, is often considered representative of Christ, who was not an alien and did not come from a spaceship

Are you literally Richie Rich?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

boo_radley posted:

Do not pick up trash from the street and bring it into the house, thank u. Nobody wants to read misogynistic reddit takes, this thread is wobbly enough as it is.

e: However, speaking of people who don't really know what's going on, here's a little snippet from the sun dot com, reporting on Karl Urban's character Homelander:

Antony told the same publication: "The only words that Eric [Kripke, header writer] said to me about season 3 were ‘homicidal maniac.’

Well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Cherie is great, I appreciated her being wholesome and calling out Frenchie on his bs kiss in E03 while still being emotionally understanding even though they've effectively broken up. I implore y'all to watch the E01 deleted scene "Cherie and Frenchie"

Also did anyone get the vibe from season one that she was "enhanced" in some way? The crazy eyes and the way she strong armed Frenchie gave that impression and it's be cool if that was the case

man i cannot find any of these scenes you're talking about

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Durzel posted:

The Black Noir stuff was a crushing disappointment.

I didn't expect him to switch sides, but at the same time I kinda thought he was going solo, like the one guy still left doing their job, etc. You could argue that Edgar pulling his strings is still in keeping with his character, but it really undermines the intrigue there was in his character.

I thought, if anything, that Butcher would have something more substantial sa leverage than Homelander's son, i.e. something that Black Noir - a man (?) of strict principals - would understand and value higher than killing Butcher in that moment. Butcher revealing Homelander's son doesn't strike me as particularly revelatory in a world where Compound V and the fact supes are made, not born, is public knowledge, either.

I dunno, it just felt weak. A substantial buildup and a damp squib payoff.

The rest of the episode was pretty much awesome though, although I don't think it would be much of a loss if the whole Frenchie/Kimiko storyline just went away, it seems to be just aimless.

At least it's finally been proved definitively that Starlight's Mum is Stormfront's daughter, and she had a pet fish called Liberty.

Just curious about these kinds of posts. Where are people getting that Noir has "strict principals" or would be anything other than another venal too powerful superhero? Why are people inputting this need to create facets to a character that hasn't given us anything yet. Like, where does Noir having any sort of positive qualities come from, from a character whose only actions have been murder so far, and hasn't been characterized as anything else (other than drinking tea I guess)?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

On Amazon prime when you're watching an episode there is the "x-ray, more info" option in the overlay. Under "more content" there are the deleted scenes.

It's weird how hard they are to find, they're all pretty good this season

I tried to do this for s2 ep1 like you mentioned and only found 15 pics of the episode lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Durzel posted:

Not acting in a certain way, the way everyone else does, can be characterisation too. When every other supe on the show is mired in drama, and Vought is having to stage manage them constantly, having someone who appears to be invested in the job gives the impression of being principled. Those principals involve murder on command of course, but principals nonetheless.

I would agree that it’s an reach to suggest that BN has some bushido code that means he (it?) might balk at doing something immoral, but he’s been shown to be methodical and focused, and has spared an innocent life who he could just as easily have killed (the kid during the terrorist kill), whilst killing another who presumably was innocent (the woman at the start). He was also the one that had the most visceral reaction to the news of the Compound V leak.

There is also the fact that BN actually being a robot who simply does Vought’s bidding is pretty boring and can’t really go anywhere story wise.

No one is saying he has positive qualities, so I’m not sure where you got that from.

Eh dudes love a muscular dude killing ppl left and right who doesnt speak. Not saying its necessarrily from you but its something im picking up from viewers. Its a natural reaction to power, to try to venerate it in some way, or soften its harsher angles.

I think its funnier and more interesting to see Noir as hes been portrayed so far, terrible at his job, if its anything other than just murdering ppl horribly amd traumatically.

His idea of stealth is lying on a roof at noon. His plan for infiltrating a home is to trip every wire and let it blow up around him. His notion of detective skills is scratching a name in construction paper and looming over the nerd that does the work.

Its a criticism of a power fantasy that I find pretty interesting myself.

Noit is nothing but a corporate killer with a really good marketing team.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

He found Cherie's place just fine (and was seen there too). My read is that he could sneak up and murder people but likes the theatrics and creating cold "oh gently caress" moments in his quarry.

Im having trouble exactly remembering this, but didnt a tech guy pull up Frenchie's addresses?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Azhais posted:

They seem to be glossing over other groups pretty pointedly. Even Starlight was on another team (The Young Americans) before being called up to the big leagues, and in the show it seemed like she was more of an unaffiliated super hanging out at bible camps than anything actually attached directly to Vought

I think she mentions that she was on a team with Gecko dude where she dated Soldier Boy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Azhais posted:

Hmm, I vaguely remember that. You sure she said soldier boy not drummer boy? I'll have to go rewatch that episode, cause if its the former next season could have some extra drama attached when Jensen arrives.

Im actually not sure

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Whatever confrontation is going to happen, it's going to happen by the end of the season. This is a Kripke show, he believes in firing all your Chekhov's guns by the end of the play, bless his heart.

Yeah. Shoot the gun, then keep a few more in the drawer.

So I'm expecting a 5 year arc based on what he did with Supernatural. The 4th season finale being a no way back to normality moment.

Just apropos of nothing but a little comic knowledge thats prob when Homelander kills the President. Making that confrontation btw Homelander and the US govt an entire season makes sense to me

I dont think Stormfront makes it out alive from this season. Then the last 2 seasons [with more of a focus on the Voight corporate things, I mean you dont hire Gus Fring without wringing the most out of him] focusing on Homelander.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sockser posted:

I'm on the third TPB of the comic and it is.... not great? I don't know if I'll buy the fourth, I'm slowly souring on the whole thing. It's incredible how much better the show is

The only real good thing about the comic, like the only really good thing in all of Ennis's work, is a pulsing virulent hatred of America's war making industry.

Something the show hasnt really gotten into yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I mean, comic Homelander still ends up there. That scene with the family and the car from a couple pages ago is one of the rare highlights from the comic that isn't about shocking gore or putting a boner in an eye socket.

The thing i like about the BN twist is that it bounces ultimate responsibility back at Vought. BN does these things not because he's a bizarro Superman who does opposite things because they're opposite, but because he's been programmed from birth by Vought to only have one goal: kill Homelander if he goes nuts. He's compelled to want to do this, but can't unless Homelander does something to make Vought give the order. So he tries to get them to do it because he knows it's the ONLY REASON HE EXISTS and he has a desperate, profound need to fulfill it.

That is prob the only thing the comic has on the show so far, the wider indictment of Vought and corporate fecklessness and immorality.

Having Homelander spread the V to other countries, would have totally been the corporation in the comics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Romes128 posted:

That's so dumb it wasn't even in the comics, which is full of dumb poo poo.

Dumb as hell but Noir being MMs irradiated brother sounds dope to me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I'd argue that the concept of fantasy "races" draws heavily on 19th century pseudoscientific and esoteric sources like Theosophy, some of the cruder taxonomizing of American and British Spiritualists, things lifted from novels like The Coming Race, etc.. Especially the Theosophy. I liked Helen Young's Race and Popular Fantasy Literature: Habits of Whiteness for a broad overview.

As a matter of fact in a lot of scientific communities the 1930s saw a sharp if in some ways superficial reaction against "race science" compared to the first few decades of the century (see Julian Sorell Huxley's shockingly racist lecture tour of the US in 1924) if on a somewhat superficial level. This is certainly not to say that the 1930s were a period of astonishingly violent racism, just that academic anthropology and ethnology pumped the brakes a bit. Even then however you had texts like We Europeans which I would describe as an early example of "liberal" race science and Carelton Coon's The Races of Europe, very very dated books which, especially in light of the ways in which Coon expanded his arguments later in his career, look very starkly problematic. But still-- they were simply picking up the ball handed to them by their predecessors and running with it, just as the nazis scrounged up several decades of cast off junk science to cobble together.

The American Psychological Association was founded in 1892 by a man who believed in race science and forced sterilization of "weaker" races.

Science in the 19th C in America was handed the baton by racist intellectuals of the 18th to justify the subjegation and exploitation of colored ppl.

Theosophy seems pretty dwarfed by that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

tl;dr: orcs are more often than not coded after old times horrible "dark Africa" stereotypes and are not meant to represent real life black people (unless it's Bright going full circle on the racial coding).

I never got the connection as a black kid.

Was weirded out on a certain level with the movies just being chock full of good blonde ppl tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Question / nitpick Why was Becca bleeding? Shouldn't it have been cauterized? Seems like she should either be dead or alive from a laser blast, no final words...

Overall I liked that, but my biggest complaint is that... last episode, poo poo was CHANGING. It was wild. And now... the end result of the finale is a big reset on the status quo. The 7 are back. The Boys are back to their thing. It almost feels like you could have ended the show right here, a different, maybe more satisfying way. But instead they're doing this, so we can have season 3 of the boys hunting supes, which... I'm down with. But it feels a little weird.

Yeah good point. Its an Kripke style season reset.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

After a lot of thought, I've settled on the finale being a disappointment. Too much happened too quickly, Stormwatch ended up getting defeated three times to march her along the necessary plot points the creators wanted to hit (end of her as a threat in the public eye, girls can do it better beatdown, Ryan as a threat and disentagling from Homelander).

The thing that sits the worst is that, yes, they fridged Becca. The definition of fridging afaik is the death of a woman whose only worth is the sorrow and anger her death would cause for the actually important male protaganists.

That's exactly what happened here! That was her role! The 1st season, along with elegantly taking Butchers arc to a natural conclusion, strapped as suicide bomber to attack HL, also upended a hacky regurgitated plot point of a revenge spree predicated on a dead wife. That was cool!

What was the thematic point of this season? Dunno, feels muddled.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Herogasm was the split off miniseries where all of the company's heroes would pretend to come together to fight an overwhelming threat, like the traditional giant rear end crossover specials you see in comics like Secret Wars or Civil War, which was just an excuse for them all to go to a teopical island and cum together i.e. a ludicrious orgy of sex, drinking, and drugs.

It was an even more profane series of images then the usual Boys series. There is some plot stuff that occurs in the background, and the metaplot moves ahead steadily, but yeah, its 3 issues of cartoon characters loving.

Real interesting to see how they adapt it. Feel bad for the actors already lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Kroll Show is hilarious tho, and its interconnected nature while done before, is nicely handled.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Seinfeld might be the better comparison since one of the show runners wrote for Seinfeld and Curb. Almost every episode does that thing Seinfeld and Curb did where the episode ends on a callback from the first 5 minutes.

It just felt very mechanical. You can see the show working on those tricks, where in Seinfeld and Curb it was artfully hidden. Lol of course Newman will burn alive in his mail truck.

The League didn't have alot of jokes and relied on its cast to improvise a poo poo ton, and when it did jokes, they ran them into the ground. The show was largely unwatchable outside the first 2 seasons and the random Seth rogen Jason Manzoukas team up episodes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol wtf. If you dont know this nazi website, it means you are in fact a nazi.

What a bizarre take

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Since it is a white problem white people should be more aware, yes. The reason there are so many racists still around is because of this kind of willful ignorance.

Uh you shouldn't be likening a very real and deadly serious phenomenon to knowing obscure websites popular in the aughts. Its offensive.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't the Supernatural fandom spawn the "omegaverse" poo poo where all men are werewolves who impregnate each other based on pack hierarchy?

Edit: Yes, yes it did

https://twitter.com/xanalter/status/1264197424844804096

I'm trying to find an update on this case and failing. I know that covid slowed alot of litigation down, but its been more than a year.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I might have to give this another shot. I watched two episodes and didn't get into it.

And I'm surprised that 'Killing Eve' isn't nominated.

Killing Eve got good again? I couldn't make it thru the 2nd season

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

can someone hurry up and cancel awkafina so nobody else can be subjected to her writing

I thought her skit was great. That, the anime one, and esp the Ennis ones were good stuff. The rest pretty blah. Looking forward to them doing it again.

loving turds!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eh, disagree. It would be a more focused show. Alot more cynical and purient tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Walrus posted:

You're literally the first person I've ever seen say (or imply I guess) the comic is better than the show - I tried a few issues, and took it as more puerile then prurient. I really love the show we have, but that show would be.... something else.

No. The comics are absolutely worse than the TV show.

But I found myself really interested in the animated version of it. It's just 1 episode but dunno, it had a cool interesting edge not present in the live action show. And the superheroes being utterly hosed played with an interesting dissonance if you grew up watching justice league

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I see no reason that Homelander and Soldier Boy shouldn't get along famously. Maybe some inevitable betrayal, but one would think they'd be pees in a pod.

Edit: I have no knowledge about the books.

Narcissists tend to not get along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the only good react video I've ever seen