Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the 'problem' with a lot of the other supes is that the nature of Homelander's character is that he makes everyone in a scene with him shrivel up in fear, and Antony Starr is absolutely killing the role. This season also feels far more Homelander centric this time, so the proportion of time we're seeing characters in his presence is far greater.

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like Starlight being sort of a void of personality is thematically appropriate/works.

Yeah, Starlight is a child prodigy who has only ever been allowed by her parents to be one thing, and then she gets her dream job and it turns out to be a continuation of complete control of her life and how she presents to the world. Part of her rebellion is the realisation that she will never be allowed to have her own personality if she stays on that path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I am wondering where A-Train's story is going. They've put his character in a position where he could flip sides or he could double down into nihilism.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah in the show at least Compound-V is bad for you unless you have won the genetic lottery - Shining Light has dosed Kenji specifically cause Kimiko had survived the procedure. I guess Vought is actually good at selecting potential candidates.

I think it's implied more that Vought just spreads their bets really far and pays off the families of the ones where it doesn't work.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

I sure hope no one reads spoilers then come in here to post like they just guessed it themselves. I hate those people.

It feels like they've deviated enough from the comic plot so that if you've read it then you know the broad arc of the story, but theres no guarantee that any particular thing that's true in the comic will be true in the show.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

A-train has no incentive to protect Starlight now that he's off the 7, but his leverage is pointless because Homerlander knows she's not on their side, so in the end it doesn't matter.

Also I've had We Didn't Start the Fire stuck in my head since Friday.

On the other hand, all the things that tie A-train to Vought and the 7 are being stripped away.

He might decide to do something desperate to get back in, on the other hand I wouldn't consider it an unreasonable twist if he decides he wants in with the good guys.

e: ^^ nah Homelander is exactly as clever as he needs to be, which is more than you think. Rick Burlow has his villain give a brilliant line in Order of the Stick: "Never confuse not knowing with not caring". Homelander investigates and solves more puzzles in S1 than any of the other characters. Part of the reason he's so effective as a scary character is that he acts like he doesn't know about things because he doesn't care, right up until the point where he decides to start caring. The other characters never know how much he knows or what he really cares about, which is why they're constantly on edge around him.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 15, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Homelander is basically the protagonist of Season 2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HppyCmpr posted:

Just touching on something I thought would be cool that would be comic related so I'll spoil it.

It would be interesting if they do go the route of Homelander and Black Noire being clones because it would be another chance for Antony Starr to play off against himself like he did in Outrageous Fortune. Though I guess since Black Noire is played by a different actor that won't be the case.

Starr playing two contrasting personalities and having an emote off against one another is generally very good.

That's not necessarily a bar to that same ending because if the showrunners know they're going that way then you still wouldn't have Antony Starr put on the Noir suit for all those scenes and then pay for the CGI tricks to have Noir in the same scenes as Homelander, you just get a stunt actor to play noir right up until the point where you need him to take his mask off though.

It's entirely believable that they could go in a completely different direction with Noir though. Homelander's arc is not tied to him in the same way

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The ringtone was excellent.

Also my speculation: Stormfront has been brought in by Vought to control Homelander. She was picked by Vought to join the Seven, she's an extremely long term asset of theirs, her whole attitude is specifically curated to endear herself to Homelander and bring him back under control after the Season 1 shenanigans. She may or may not actually have her own agenda but that's the first layer of hidden intentions.

The thing that tips Homelander over isn't Stormfront dying, it's realising that she's been lying to and manipulating him the whole time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I noticed this shot too and it seemed weird. I mean I’m not complaining but yeah it did seem out of place.

Yeah I think it speaks worlds that if you just say 'the problematic starlight shot' in this episode I think every single person would know exactly which few seconds you would be referring to.

Just a bit out of place.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Also, editors who use dream/fantasy sequences in trailers or promos should go to prison.

It's the same tier of bad as "I know what you're thinking, how did it get to this point? Well the story starts two weeks ago when"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bioshuffle's super power is goalpost moving

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That Congresswoman couldnt have been more of an AOC parody if they tried.

Its only a parody if they're making fun of her.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You arent supposed to emphasise with the joke when the nazi character tries to make fun of someone

E: people who arent nazis arent supposed to, that is

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The whole point of that scene is that everything homelander says is misreading the crowd and making things worse

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orange Carlisle posted:

It'd be great if they'd just reveal her as a nazi next episode so the remaining few episodes of chat aren't just this same thing over and over

bioshuffle: okay yes she's a nazi but there's no proof she's literally hitler

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PopetasticPerson posted:

The best plot twist they could do at this point is Homelander rips his pants off stripper style to reveal a pair of cutoff jean shorts.

The best reveal would be it's not a costume

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

I agree, if you were a time traveller who has never heard of anything that has happened after ww2, including the moon race and the scene from this very show from a week ago when they said that the founder of the company who makes superheroes was a Nazi scientist recruited by the us towards the end of the war, you'd be surprised.

Come on now, it's not fair to judge tv shows by what they show and tell us

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh poo poo, did anyone have 'Nazis did not wear capes' on their bingo card?

e: for anyone tracking: Still think Stormfront is nominally a plant by Vought to get Homelander back under control, though she obviously also has her own supe-nazi-supremist agenda going on. Also still think A-Train is on the long road to a redemption arc where the conflict is going to be when he ends up allied to The Boys and Hughie has to deal with that (although the climax of Season 1 had Hughie decide to save A-train's life, so the main part of the grief and anger he's carrying has been dealt with).

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 19, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay, other topics: I think The Deep's plotline needs one hell of a payoff by the end of this season for it to be worth it for me. The actor is absolutely smashing it, but it's just too disconnected from everything else.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The scene of Liberty killing the black guy is deliberately shot so you can't in the moment tell it's Stormfront's lightning power, but the injuries across his face are extremely 'jagged bolt of lightning'.

e: \/ I'm developing a theory that bioshuffle also isn't actually watching the show and only ever references things in trailers or things other people have already posted about

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 21, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't think those are plot holes necessarily when one of the major themes of this show is how incompetent and unstable the people in power are. It's no wonder they'd kind of botch the finer points of their missions and let people escape or get away or whatever.

Yeah none of the things are plot holes. There are some things that happen in a particular way and not another way because it keeps the plot on rails but that's literally all stories.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Woden posted:

Those firemen are going to feel like absolute idiots for not finding a gas leak and then a house explodes.

Oh poo poo, they missed an excellent gag there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Homelander killing the middle-eastern terrorist unapproved does add nuance to him - nobody made or was asking him to take the time to go and deal with that situation, he went off on his own. He genuinely wants to be the hero, not just play act one. For america.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's fair to take what the show tells us on its face and also to assume that Homelander knows how his powers work. He lasers the controls by accident. He thinks about it for a moment and realises he can't save the plane. Okay, all the passengers are now collateral damage. He's fine with that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm pretty sure the whole point of A-Train's story is to end up exploring 'how do you feel about this guy who has been a piece of poo poo and isn't really remorseful and hasn't really improved themselves, but wants to be on team good guys because they've decided it's their least worst option?' How important is the moral purity of your movement to you?

Also re: Homelander my rationalisation of his powers is: he levitates when he flies, he's not generating constant thrust from anywhere. He's still subject to equal and opposite forces and momentum while flying, and he personally has almost no mass in comparison to the plane.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Next episode preview suggests Homelander confronts her about her past and she looks distressed but it could all be an act.

Painful as it is to theorycraft this way: if she's not sticking around beyond the end of this season then the next episode is the one where Homelander starts to suspect something's wrong, she'll semi-successfully deflect, the episode after next will be Homelander arching from 'everything's fine' to 'everyone lied to me again' and the finale will be comeuppance time.

e: we are also going to get conclusive proof on literal nazi/not literal nazi. Ordinarily I'd say we wouldn't, but the show has made Stormfront's past an explicit Mystery To Be Solved.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 22, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's kinda telling that a character like Ashley feels free to bitch at Starlight or A-Train in order to get them to do something, when she knows they are powerful enough to kill her where she stands, and how deferential she is towards Homelander, who she knows will kill her where she stands if she annoys him too much.

Her standing up to A-train in filming was a great moment. I was half expecting him to slap her at mach 4, but instead he calmed down and decided to actually do what the nice lady said.

Oh man I kept forgetting to post about this. Yes this scene was excellent and it was an extremely good decision to give Ashley a scene which explains why she exists and is in her job. She's not a quivering useless wreck all the time, it's just when she's around Homelander and it was important the show gave us a contrasting moment to clarify this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought the reveal was going to be daughter rather than wife but other than that had it.

Also people are massively overusing spoiler tags right now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a secure hospital trying not to look like anything more exciting than a secure hospital. The fence and security is for keeping people in, not keeping people out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

What are the chances that Frenchie, Jay and Cherie are in a Ménage a Trois

I'm getting bi vibes from Frenchie, they've dropped a few hints throughout the show

I thought that was very obvious.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I felt so bad and embarrassed for Homelander when it turned out the surprise he had for Stormfront was some really cheesy flowers... and a really impersonal card. Yet he's like kind of proud of it - he's making a genuine effort, but he's so emotionally stunted this is the best he's got.

Once again a great and fun episode. Some things though:

-I thought they were pouring on 'Butcher actually really does care about Hughie' a little thick.
-Not crazy about how Kimiko is pitying Frenchie. I hope they can just become friendly instead of this turning into a pityfuck.

MM continues to be awesome. When that tentacle started showing up on the security screens I was like "wait what body part is that"

You don't need to spoil things now the episode has aired.

I'm also in two minds about how Butcher reacted when Hughie got hurt. There was a little bit of whiplash at how his demeanour flipped like a lightbulb the moment he realised Hughie was hurt, but on the whole I think it shows how much Butcher has closed off and compartmentalised his personality - he's gruff and dismissive up until the point at which it actually matters, at which point the unnecessary facade gets dropped. We've also always known that Butcher does actually care about Hughie, which is why he takes an enormous risk to save him from Homelander.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

presumably edgar tolerates stormfront because the prospective long-term value of an improved compound v injection is worth the inconvenience of enabling a literal nazi. corporate leadership doesn't care about the source of the injections or the harm it will cause so long as it is guaranteed to make a profit off of it.

vought is, as edgar himself said, a pharmaceutical company. money trumps all.

Nah, there's Edgar's age, his position in the company, his knowledge of Vought's true history, his close connection to Stormfront and collaboration on the Compound-V research, all point to him being at least a little bit of a Nazi.

I don't think Stormfront is making up the fact that Vought's secret goal is world domination and I don't think that's inconsistent with Edgar saying that the core of Vought's business model is Compound V. Stormfront and Edgar collaborating on making an adult-safe version of Compound V means they are aligned on what the corporation is doing, and if they succeed then Edgar gets to join the supe master-race. They might have different goals, but I still think it's open that they currently are aligned and might be moving apart.

One possibility - if Edgar actually knew Vought and worked with him to build the company then that would make him lifelong friends with Stormfront. She did not reveal that connection to Homelander, which might be deliberate or accidental implication.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

im not sure there’s a justification to force a motive on the human embodiment of company that’s more complex than wanting the sweet, sweet cash that would come with selling a bunch of (white) elites a wonder drug

The last scene of the last episode is Stormfront literally saying that Vaught has a more complex motivation than wanting sweet sweet cash.

Also

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're all assuming Stormfront is a the majority share holder of Vought right?

Yes that's the only history of the character that makes sense. Which means that when Stormfront tells us what Vought's objectives are, we should take her at her word.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 26, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I also think the key thing in her speech that resonated with him was saying how special he was and how they would all worship him and love him and he was the best and greatest. The moment he's not getting the unquestioning love and adulation he wants, he'll throw a hyper-violent tantrum like the angry man-child he is.

Oh yes, the arc of the show has to culminate in the Nazi achieving their ultimate ambition, only to realise it's an absolute disaster and then be destroyed by that disaster.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought it was excellent trolling, look at all the posters who got worked up and made fools of themselves revealing *checks notes* they don't like Nazis.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How they're keeping her in the cell is a secondary question to "how exactly were they testing the skills of the lady who hates them and can pop skulls with her mind when she's conscious?"

Don't think about this one too much.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

eSporks posted:

They have already done so much with her that I am not sure what else they can do. Unless they elect her as president.

She needs to die now so that Homelander can continue down his path of 'gently caress everyone not me'.

This season Homelander has been on a dark monomyth and Stormfront has been Guardian, Goddess, and inevitably the Sacrifice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

w0o0o0o posted:

My theory is Maeve's girlfriend is murdered by Homelander or Stormfront in retaliation for her go pro blackmail scheme.

That plan is a really, really bad one that cannot possibly end well.

In fairness, Maeve doesn't know that Homelander will be around until the end of the show, whereas she might not.

It would not be an interesting story if Maeve's arc this season just results in her getting pushed straight back into crushing corporate despair having gone nowhere. Maeve choosing to sacrifice herself to save her girlfriend (who will also die) would make her story the appropriate mirror to the Homelander/Stormfront story.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It would be a very bad sign if the show started to go down the 'supe of the week' route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

I really doubt it was Cindy. Stormfront and Homelander standing in the middle of the room while everyone panics leads me to think they knew what was going on.

I didn't interpret it that way. I felt that Stormfront and Homelander were standing in the middle of the room because they are completely desensitised to gore and because it just wouldn't occur to either of those characters that what's happening could be dangerous to them. It's a moment that highlights their callous indifference to other people's suffering.