Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

I mean, Stormfront could be satire of influencer culture and also a neo-nazi. It could be both!

I'm only vaguely aware of "influencer culture" as such. What is she doing in the show that satirizes it?

e.
I thought influencer culture was all the dumb product review & brand pimping-type videos but I guess it's like a meta version where you yourself are the product?

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

As a reminder of how stupid or how much bad faith people post with

She's not an SJW but all the people calling her a literal Nazi are going to be disappointed when they find out she's just a Third Way Democrat.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I think anyone who doesn't see that Stormfront's murders in the apartment were racially motivated is being a contrarian, but what does remain to be seen is whether the writers are going to do anything interesting with it, or if she'll just be a cookie cutter white supremacist.

The character up to that point gives me hope for some interesting satire/commentary but who knows.

edit:
like I'm hoping it's more interesting than "what if a millenial social media star was ALSO a secret nazi???"

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 10, 2020

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

That's how the alt right works. They couch their racism to make it more palatable to a broader audience to pull people in, make them think it's all about self-actualization when really it's just a screen for racism.

The character was depicted with that in mind. All the writers, directors, producers, and the actress have said that's exactly what they were going for. You're not reading far enough into it so you're making the mistake of buying the lie.

Not really. It's not like she was shown to be making oblique references to right wing talking points, or trying to rationalize her bigotry. If you weren't primed by her name or comics knowledge then the apartment incident was a real heel turn.

Avasculous posted:

I'm really hoping they don't connect her feminism or other progressiveness to being a secret Nazi and give the alt-right a meme to blast out every time someone mentions Elizabeth Warren.
I disagree. Lots of people have goldfish memories and they don't really internalize the horrors of (e.g.) the Obama presidency, especially when you have someone like Trump running around being so bombastic about what the Democrats do more politely. I'm much more interested in a character that tries to show how various "progressive" -isms are compatible with racism, than I am with a character who is a secret nazi who only pretends to be politically correct.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Avasculous posted:

What makes you think he would be able to identify those sites?

lol

edit:

Victis posted:

Listen, the actual Nazi that founded the company is surely a red herring
Maybe he was just following orders? Not every German who served under Hitler was a Nazi, and furthermore,

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 11, 2020

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm having flashbacks to when the concluding novel of an obscure fantasy series finally dropped and a single goon's tireless pedantry ruined the thread for everyone and killed the enthusiasm for discussion.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

So Stormfrontis definitely Liberty. This show isn't trying to beat some prediction on Reddit ala Westworld, but laying a coherent groundwork for a hopefully satisfying payoff. I haven't seen all of Supernatural, but I like what I did see. Kripke knows how to tell a story properly.

She says 'God knows I did'. Also RE this scene: It sounded to me like she pronounced the last 'd' in 'did' with a slight German accent, almost like she was saying 'didt'. I went back after the ep ended and listened again, and I can't shake it. Anyone else notice the same thing on first viewing?

Vought is Lady Liberty calling it now.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

But really, tell us again how Stormfront is not coded as a racist.

It's okay to feel bad for the rabid dog that needs to be put down, especially if it got rabies because its owner was a negligent sack of poo poo.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rabid creatures can't help themselves. Homelander is a sentient being who chooses to inflict himself on people because he believes he's a god. Vought ideally wanted him controllable, so I doubt they inculcated that in him, they just went Full Montessori on him because no one in their right mind wanted to get near a superpowered kid/teenager with no moral compass.
I know it's a balance between sympathy and being patronizing but the show made a deliberate point to contrast Homelander's inhuman childhood with the childhood that Becca is trying to provide for her kid. It's a cut & dry nature/nurture plotline.

For myself, Homelander doesn't get a reprieve just because he had a poo poo childhood, but his poo poo childhood at least provides the context to move beyond a good/evil binary.

Also I'm buzzed so I'll be a shithead and say that arguing Homelander is evil qua evil is the more fascistic interpretation of his character :smug:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Kwatz posted:

Apologies, but what does “evil qua evil” mean?
like "evil as such"

Homelander is just "evil", no further explanation needed

idk i read Waiting for Godot once and it was a word there

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Starks posted:

That’s a lot of letters and words drat

dude its like two uncommon letters and then the "alpha" in alphabet

edit:
oh you mean Elephant Ambush

i mean let's just all exalt in their enjoyment of the show ok

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the one thing no one really talks about is the way Butcher just "gently caress you, got mine"'d out on the rest of The Boys and did so deliberately when the only one around was MM, who wouldn't try beating his rear end for it.

I just chalked it up to sloppy writing because it was so amicable.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Yes.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I mean I can see giving him a pat on the shoulder & best wishes but I would never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, let him back in.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Piell posted:

How are people this loving bad at reading obvious clues and blatant statements?

Stormfront is Liberty

Most likely, but then what does that do for the narrative/what are they trying to set up for the finale or Season 3?

Her being Liberty's daughter is much more tidy than her being Liberty or being a clone. I could see it being a bait & switch depending on where they want the story to go, especially with the whole Homelander's Son plotline happening in parallel.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Because if she's Liberty then they have to explain how she's so long-lived and how it is that her powers have changed, and the consequences of that for characters past and present.
If she's a clone then there's all the implications that ago along with that.

If she's Liberty's daughter then it doesn't introduce any new variables into the story, the "twist" would just be that Homelander's son isn't unique.

It's not about subverting expectations, I'm just hoping they don't fall into the trap Heroes fell into where they chase "cool" until the writing becomes hamhanded and stupid trying to put the genie back in the bottle with some plotlines & character powers.

edit.
Those "have"s are in quotations obviously, maybe they just don't deal with the implications either way.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

sliami posted:

Do you think the Liberty twist is like ... Too Cool To Be True or something. Like is that too contrived for you? In this show?

I'm enjoying nerding out about a show.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Yeah, to restate my point, I think the good money is on her being Liberty but I can also see why they might not do that.

After how strongly it was telegraphed, the twist would be that she's not Liberty, not that she is Liberty.

Also Jesus Christ do we all have PTSD from the culture wars or something? Bullshitting and thinking out loud is one of the best parts of following a show.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tip posted:

I've seen someone posit this, but I'm not sure if it was here. I'm kinda expecting for it to be true, and for it to somehow dovetail with Homelander's weird mommy/lactation fetish.

Like he makes a blatant sexual pass at her and she shuts him down by revealing that she's his mom, then he flies away with an angry confused boner.

She already implied he can come back for sex in that scene together.

Stormfront dont gently caress your son

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I want to see more of the B team. We got many more non-Seven supes last season.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

crepeface posted:

frenchie + kimiko are boring the gently caress out of me.
Yeah I have to agree. They need to give Frenchie something more interesting to do than creep on Kimiko.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Pippi Longstocking didn't seem like that old a reference because I remember the books being in a scholastic book order around the time a cartoon about the character came out. This was Canada in the mid-90s though.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Stormfront's one of Voughts ur-supers then, right? Like WW2 era.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is sexist as hell. There are tons of people who exist in real life that were raised by single parents regardless of gender and turned out fine. The idea that every child needs two parents, one with traditionally masculine traits and another with traditionally feminine traits is comically outdated.

I think they meant because the kid is being raised in isolation from the rest of society, not necessarily that it's because he's being raised by a single mom.

Personality traits are highly heritable though so I wonder which direction they'll go with the kid, if the kid's development becomes a plotline. He could be a good egg because mom socialized him well, or he could latch on to his isolation & estrangement and his Homelander side could surface.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Man, seeing that woman's bro's face after liberty killed him gave me flashbacks to the bottle scene from Pan's Labyrinth.

My first thought was Emmett Till but modeling the CGI or makeup or whatever after that photo would be ghoulish.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I don't know what would be worse, not having powers or being a c-list superfailure.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Becca says "when I found out I was pregnant I went to Vought, not you" should be the end of the conversation in regards to Butcher's disposition, but then again half of the people watching TV and movies seem media illiterate.

ugh I hate her she's worse than Skyler

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It's conceivable to me that the military would not tolerate a weapon it couldn't control, especially when it's already the most powerful military on Earth.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
In his phone conversation with Butcher, did Hughie slip in that they think Stormfront killed the CIA woman? What's he basing that on?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I haven't re-watched Season 1 so can someone please remind me --

To what extent do the supes go out and "fight crime" versus do promotional stunts and star in media franchises?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dpulex posted:

SAIL AWAY SAIL AWAY SAIL AWAY

Does the church have a pure moods CD?

Uncomfortable mid-90s flashbacks.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I bet it's Giancarlo Esposito because he's got growing notoriety as an actor, we haven't seen him in a few episodes, they're not going to introduce a new Big Bad in the last episode, and he's obviously in cahoots with Stormfront.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Miss Broccoli posted:

hi im an episode behind and im not gunna read any more but holy gently caress how did any of you dorks stand by this oval office of a poster

They've been a thread pariah since episode 2 you self-righteous idiot. Either gently caress off or lurk more.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Miss Broccoli posted:

him being a nazi, anger

him being a massive transphobe....... deafening silence amidst people celebrating Frenchie being bi specifically for being into trans women. Aka, also transphobia, in which goons openly state they consider trans women to be Men Actually. Respectfully, you are the one that needs to gently caress off.

Thank you so much for taking the time to educate us.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Miss Broccoli posted:

cis bigots have such fragile little egos.

Thank you so much. Thank you.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

AcidCat posted:

Well the first episode certainly brought us all up to speed on what The Boys is about. It was probably a mistake to try to eat dinner while watching, but I'm down with this sick nonsense.

Our popcorn went down not great.

At least they didn't Richard Gere it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nuebot posted:

The theme they seem to be going hard on, so far, to my dumb eyes at least is power. What with multiple people basically looking at the camera and talking about who, really, has power and the long shots of homelander looking ready to blow a gasket any time he's shown to be impotent and powerless because the only people who listened to him were those lower on the corporate ladder than he was. Meanwhile you have Hughie acting like a turd when he feels weak and helpless next to his awesome girlfriend and the stability of his new life gets rugpulled out from under him, trying to reclaim control and power of his life in the only way he knows how to anymore, and has since season one. Culminating with Butcher unsubtly becoming the very thing he hates in pursuit of a thing that, allegedly, will give him the power to kill all those people who are stronger than he is complete with someone telling him he's just like that guy he also hates: his dad.

Fun three episodes, they seem to be borrowing more and more directly from the comics for plot beats at the moment but still change them enough that it's hard to predict for sure what will happen.

The cynical thing is that, at least as of the end of episode 3, Butcher is correct. Vought has been playing them like fiddles, the regulatory agency for dealing with superhuman excess is bought & paid for, and there is no humane solution to a problem like Homelander. So far the message of the show seems to be "don't be lovely or sadistic as you dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Starks posted:

Bust is right about the grammar thing even though I don’t like this season. First two eps were decent but the third one has me skeptical about the rest.

The deep in particular has overstayed his welcome by a season and a half already. I get it! He fucks fish and feels bad for them! It’s just been the same exact joke over and over.

The Ryan stuff also just seems like it’s in there because they don’t know how to close it out.

Someone in the CSPAM thread was making a similar point. As amusing as these episodes have been, we're heavily re-treading old territory so far.

Hey folks, did you know that Homelander is a mad dog on a fraying leash?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
yeah and I'm hoping this season goes in interesting directions, but I'm kind of getting "Goku powers up for 8 episodes" vibes. I'm sure the payoff will be great but how many more scenes of Homelander being a creepy malicious bully are we in for before the plot advances for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bussamove posted:

This season has gone strained attempt at “normalcy”>inciting incident>breaking point>first full mask-off public display>declaration that he’s finally free to do whatever he wants in three episodes, I’m really confused how that could be construed as spinning its wheels.

I guess you're right. "A subset of white males like his ubermensch spiel" feels like a minor escalation relative to the violence and depravity we've already seen from him, however. By this point, I'm ready for Homelander Unbound; I don't need to see the three or four scenes where the rust belt chuds stare too long into the abyss.