Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Love the show. Watched the whole thing over the past 2 days.

But Homelander is a stupid superhero name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah i know its supposed to invoke that.

It's still a dumb superhero name.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

I feel like nobody mentioned this yet but I do very much enjoy the show taking something that happened in reality - the CIA giving weapons to the Syria arm of al-Qaeda - and using it as a plotline in the show - Vought giving terrorists the superhero serum which was pretty on the nose. Here's hoping they do more with that in the next season.

Seemed like Homelander took the initiative and did that himself going by the conversation he had with Stillwell.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

So do the effects of compound V wear off over time? A Train seemed anxious about his race which suggested he wasn't as 'fast' as he used to be and later we see him arrive too late to stop a crime.

If the supes are lab made super soldiers, how did Starlight get her powers? Does Compound V work on animals?

The show does a good job of showing just how dangerous Superheroes would really be, even in the best of circumstances. I mean compare Iron Man getting a few dozen people out of a disabled jet and macguyvering a way to get them safely in the water, to Homelander's blase reaction to long shot suggestions on trying to rescue passengers--he didn't even want to TRY and I'm assuming it's because they could just deny even being there in the first place rather than have the negative publicity of unsuccessfully rescuing the passengers.

Seems like V gave powers as a baby and maybe enhances them as adults?

Starlight confronted her mother about her being given V as a baby. I think it's pretty much confirmed that everyone with powers was given V.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Her mom was one of those stereotypical pageant moms, right? Because then that would make sense.

Yea. Starlight complains about it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morrow posted:

It doesn't seem like they're going with that direction: the actor for Black Noir is black, and all the material on his character seems to build him up as a superpowered ninja. But he's so low-key throughout this whole season that he could be sandbagging.

Yeah, I definitely got the vibe they're gonna use him in a bigger role in season 2 since they kept him in the background in the first.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

Just finished it, dig it a lot. Like a previous poster said, it isn't doing anything we haven't seen before, but its entertaining and Karl Urban is really chewing on some scenery here. Love the actor for Homelander - he looks like a young Kurt Russell or something.

too bad they killed Elizabeth Shue's character of so fast, though I'm glad they got Gus Fring for us next season

Anthony Starr, who plays Homelander, is awesome in Banshee. Look it up if you have any access to Cinemax streaming. Awesome fight scenes and he plays a great crazy criminal/cop. The supporting cast is also great.

The first two seasons are on Amazon prime video too.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 29, 2019

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it established before then that all the Supes are bulletproof?

Doubt it since A-Train got his leg snapped in half and Black Nior got pretty messed up. Not everyone's durability seems to be up there with Homelander.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

He did laser the legs off a terrorist at one point but I'm pretty sure he finished him off after.

And yeah, dude loves his laser vision. Aside from flight and a few examples of his super strength he's basically an rear end in a top hat Cyclops.

You mean basically Cyclops.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You didn't miss much, it was pretty average

Except for black noir, he was great

And I’m pretty sure someone was getting their face ripped open at the jaw. I had to stop and replay it a few times to understand what the hell that was.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Deep expected the company to put him up in some fancy place and was upset when he saw it was just like a normal hotel room and treated him like a lower class employee for his gently caress ups. They probably have their meals cooked for them in the big tower and stuff like that. Now Deep has to do his own grocery shopping. It's a punishment for him.

He probably does have a lot of money, maybe not as much as A-Train or Translucent, but he still did advertising and stuff.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He forced Starlight to give him a blowjob or he'd kick her out of the 7. When she Me-Too'd him, they sent him away as PR damage control

I forget if the dolphin rescue was before or after Starlight made the abuse public, but I'm sure it didn't help.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If she'll go out nazi or keep it more subdued.

I mean she killed a bunch of black people for no reason and used a slur. Do you mean like full nazi like saluting randomly and shouting heil?

I dunno how much more obvious you can get with her being a racist rear end in a top hat.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

boo_radley posted:

There was also the flashback that showed her belly being lasered from the inside. I suppose we could say that was some misdirection by Vought, but as soon as Homie starting asking about her, people had to know the game was up.

I wonder if the other supers are all impotent? This seems unprecedented, but I'm not sure if that's because they're terrified of homelander kids, or if they're just realizing that supers can have kids at all.

e: or maybe they fix the other supes at birth and just forgot to give John the old supersnip? Look for a small green tattoo just above his belly if they ever show his torso. That'll confirm it.

Supes gently caress. Remember the whole club scene at the beginning of season 1. A-Train was in a relationship.

Mesmer has a daughter.

Translucent said he had kids (I think) - Actually Translucents kids were at his funeral.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess the red text is accurate.

they got probed multiple times for being a bootlicker lmao. not surprised.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

In fairness, I don't think mainstream knowledge of Nazi iconography goes further than the swastika.

Clearly her killing spree was racial, but for people who don't recognize that she's dressed like a billboard for the Fourth Reich (a large fraction of the audience, I suspect), I think that "reveal" is still coming in the next episode or so.

I'm really hoping they don't connect her feminism or other progressiveness to being a secret Nazi and give the alt-right a meme to blast out every time someone mentions Elizabeth Warren.

The "reveal" came when using a slur while killing someone. No need to have it explained further. (I get what you're saying though. They're gonna show an already lovely person be even shittier).

But yea I agree, trying to characterize or make someone like that relatable or even sympathetic would be a lovely thing to do. Nazi gonna nazi. That's all they need to do for us to know she's a garbage person and hopefully have Kimiko whoop her rear end in a spectacular fashion.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Am I the only one who thought the black noir kimiko and the fight from last episode were terribly done. There's some cool stuff in last episodes with the effects and destruction but anytime it comes close to hand to hand range it's a dozen quick cuts that look horrible.

Showrunners need to hire the guys who did the starz spartacus so we can finally get good fights on tv again.

Or the people that did the Banshee fights (which the guy that plays Homelander is the main character in).

Seriously, watch Banshee.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

2 days before air date is the day people start getting into fan theory territory and then 1 day before is spent calling them all stupid.

BTW Black Noir has been a ghost the whole time change my mind :colbert:

Ghosts don’t cry.

Checkmate.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheOrange posted:

Any idea if they're just dropping single episodes going forward or is it going to be in batches like the first drop?

Single episodes until the finale in October.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow Homelander is a huge piece of poo poo. That TV interview.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really thought Homelander was gonna watch himself suck his dick.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

I interpreted that as the writers winking to the audience.

I dunno, it just seems too obvious.

Yeah it stood out.

I'm willing to bet though the big ending for this season is about Homelander himself though. Him losing it and being paranoid about the team is building up to something.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm glad there's 3 people in the superhero show that's either threatened to laser eye someone or actually has laser eyed someone.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Imagine defending Stormfront, then sympathizing with Homelander, a rapist and murderer.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I never defended Stormfront?

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't think she's racist.

Bioshuffle posted:

IMHO, Stormfront being racist is not as cut and dry as people want to believe.

She's by far my favorite superhero we've seen in the series,

Bioshuffle posted:

Obviously the term she uses is extremely racist, but I think she really enjoys tormenting and playing around with people (look at how she talks to Starlight for example, or even her first introduction where she openly mocks Homelander). She doesn't say those things because she's a racist, she says it to be as insulting as possible before killing someone. Then again, I've read the comic book series, so that may be influencing how I view the characters.

I agree that she is an awful person, but in so far as the whole racism goes, I'm going to withhold my judgement until we see some more episodes.

lmao.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I think she would have killed all those people in the building regardless of their ethnicity. Even if they were white. You're welcome to disagree. It's a moot point.

I literally said she was an awful person in one of the things you quoted me in. I'm not saying Stormfront is a hero. She is clearly a villain. If you don't understand that, that's really on you at this point.

OK Mr. "I don't think she's racist even though she does and says racist stuff."

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

I really hope they do something with deep soon because they could have never mentioned him again after he got sent to Ohio and at this point the show would he better for it

The lobster bit was pretty good.

But yea the whole cult thing is pretty boring

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

All Starlight's candy choices really were completely garbage candy.

I got pretty upset at charleston chew and almond joy being bottom 3.

Those are pretty great and I ate those growing up. :(

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Almond Joys are trash tier candy bars.

Piell posted:

Incorrect, coconut-based candy bars are universally garbage

Triggered af rn.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Was the new ep just uploaded early? It says every Friday but I watched episode 4 yesterday evening.

Yeah it showed up last night. I watched it around 10pm eastern.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

There's a few things going on there:

-A-Train tried to kill Starlight. That's what put him in a coma, and he seems in even worse shape now.

-Starlight did save his life (which she quickly reminds him of) and he does seem conflicted about that.

-Starlight is right that any story he could tell about her would probably get him killed or kicked out of the 7 himself. If HL finds out The Boys escaped because Starlight overpowered him, he's hosed, and if Vought (who's hunting for the Compound V leak) finds out he was addicted or had any role in distributing it, he's also hosed.

I did notice the same thing about The Deep's 30 minute voyage from Ohio to NYC. Maybe he rode Daenarys's dragon?

She also mentioned dropping Popclaws autopsy report showing she was murdered.

massive spider posted:

I'm not going to quote the poster who made a really long post cause I'm on mobile, but regarding the seven having tracking chips- what would vought even do to "check up" on them? They're superheroes, for the most part you stay out of their way lest you get pasted. The tracking chips are only really useful in situations one is incapacitated and you need to find them.

Translucent used to go on benders and go missing for days. Remember they didn't immediately start looking for him when he went missing cause it's happened before.

e- Also to that long rear end post regarding the tracking chips;

they did find a way to block it. they blocked translucents signal until part of the metal lining tore away.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 12, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

I still crack up at stuff like Homelander sitting in full costume at the breakfast table, or Deep buying groceries in full getup. On a comic book page it looks pretty natural, but in motion it's so silly (and I realize that's probably very on purpose).

Yeah, I also like that in S1 he says he gave up his secret identity so now he's Homelander 24/7. He probably wears the suit all the time lol.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god just threadban and let the rest of us enjoy the :discourse:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only time I ever binged a show was the first season of Doom Patrol cause I was in the hospital for a week in June and all I had was my phone.

No visitors cause of hospital coronavirus restrictions was depressing. :(

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

But in the end he did spare the kid, so maybe there's some humanity inside HL after all.

He finally found someone with a common interest.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I bet A-team is faking his heart attacks.

Homelander can hear heartbeats. I'm assuming that's what he's referencing when he said he knows about A-Train's condition.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

It's only a spoiler for idiots who can't follow what the show literally says on exact words.

Dude went from;

Stormfront isn't racist > Stormfront isn't Liberty > Mad about everyone telling him Stormfront is Liberty > Maybe Stormfront isn't racist she's had years to reflect and change.

Even though Stormfront said and did some racist poo poo in episode 3.

Dude is delusional about his nazi waifu.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I'm guessing the baby, sensing the explosion happening did ninja flips out of the house and continued for 17 miles.

wasn't the baby on the lawn

it was butcher that woke up miles away.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

So you use ablest slurs on top of ignoring racist traits in bigots. Can’t wait to find out what other garbage viewpoints you have.

And then he whined like a child complaining about personal attacks.

Mods need to threadban him already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Either way, it’s pretty obvious to me that Vought thinks Ryan is Homelander 2.0, which probably means Homelander has already realized that, which probably also means he is going to kill Ryan, or at least try to

I'm leaning more towards Homelander kidnapping him and Becca going to Butcher and the boys for help.

HL already knows Becca is trying to raise him specifically not the be like HL so I'm willing to bet he's just gonna straight up take the kid and try to raise him on his own.