Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Probably way late to this, but I just realized Homelander's son should be called Homeboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Supreme Allah posted:

That's definitely Billy, an earlier preview showed him and Noir facing off at one point

Actually you can see it for about 3 frames at around 1:14 --

I love the shark following them, I wonder how The Deep will gently caress it up

I just want them to come up with some aerosol explosive to deal with it. Shark repellent Bat Butcher Spray.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I wonder if homelander is going to juice up on V this season. He's already barely in control of himself but imagine if he was high and overcharged at the same time.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I propose that the kid be named Homeboy.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bioshuffle posted:

It's pretty clear most of you are not open to the idea that there are multiple ways to interpret and analyze shows, but I know I'm not alone in how I feel, and I'll leave it at that.

I was surprised to see the second season rated so lowly on Amazon, but it looks like most of the one star ratings are from people who are angry they didn't release all the episodes at the same time.

I wonder if they're trying to stagger it out due to the slowed production schedule.

That's how the alt right works. They couch their racism to make it more palatable to a broader audience to pull people in, make them think it's all about self-actualization when really it's just a screen for racism.

The character was depicted with that in mind. All the writers, directors, producers, and the actress have said that's exactly what they were going for. You're not reading far enough into it so you're making the mistake of buying the lie.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

I wouldn't be surprised if Homelander opens a milkbank charity for nursing mothers at some point in the show. Just a commercial on in the background.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This is like arguing with Ben Shapiro without the benefit of being able to laugh at Ben when you're done.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Victis posted:

The fights in Daredevil are the gold standard, especially the later seasons

The long-take stuff is insane

Oh man, that's such a high bar to meet I'm not sure what else would come close.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bioshuffle posted:

Cobra Kai had some great fight scenes, if you can get past the cliche 80s tone overlaying all the action sequences.

Honestly that tone would kinda sell me on it even more.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Not much of a spoiler, but still. I love that Homelander's favorite movie is Taxi Driver.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

SardonicTyrant posted:

See, to me I don't think Stormfront is Liberty because the characters in-universe are speculating about it. It makes me think there's got to be a twist to it.

My guess is she's an actual German nazi from ww2 like in the comics, or maybe the child of one. If she isn't aging it fits, just change the public identity every now and then.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

moist turtleneck posted:

Didn't someone in the show say a couple episodes ago that compound v could do anything, even make you look young forever?

Maybe, but I think that was in this very episode when they were trying to figure out if it really was Stormfront.

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a picture of the Vought founder with Stormfront next to him or in the background. They wouldn't have brought up "he was a literal nazi scientist" if they weren't going to do something with it. It makes more sense to me than cloning orfamily resemblance and it fits with the comic character.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The Deep's current plot reminds me of that Chuck Palahniuk book "Survivor," about a cult member in way over his head who is manufactured into being a televangelist and doesn't understand anything that's happening to him.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

double negative posted:

homelander encounters mother's milk and is overcome with conflicting emotions

I'm imagining at one point he'll be captured or singled out by the seven. Someone goes into the conference room and says "We've got Mother's Milk!" And he gets excited until he sees the picture come up on the screen.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Avasculous posted:

I looked up a couple of things like MM's name at one point and got the feeling I was reading fan fiction cranked out by a teenage virgin trying to be as edgy as possible.

"And then in issue 7 the hero Sharkrape (who rapes sharks to death) punches Maeve in the tits which makes milk shoot out and he drinks it and maeve is into it because she's a slut and starlight is like omg we should stop him and the other heroes laugh and rape her."

Every time I look into anything Garth Ennis has written that's what it sounds like. I can't tell if Ennis is a 13 year old that snuck his stuff into a comic editor's "approved" stack or someone editing a wiki page to sound as juvenile as possible. Apparently in the comics someone is snorting Maeve's vaginal secretions as a drug.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I bet after the next episode the argument will be "OK, Stormfront is a racist and apparently hasn't aged in decades, but does that make her really a nazi?" Then the episode after that the shouts seig heil and does a roman salute, and the goalposts will shift again.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

massive spider posted:

Yeah I mean you don’t really gain anything plot wise by making her be a daughter of who cares and you lose a lot by losing the potential fun of an immortal supe.

Exactly. What's more interesting, "I'm the clone of some rando hero from North Carolina in the 70s," "I'm the daughter of some rando hero from North Carolina in the 70s," or "remember how we mentioned the founder of the company was a Nazi scientist in the first episode? Well I was his guinea pig and I haven't age today since I left the Hitler youth."

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
We need a Maury Povich paternity test episode to get to the bottom of this.

"Homelander believes you can't get pregnant on the first time. Billy says no one in his family has laser eyes. Becca says she knows the truth, but we don't believe her. Find out today."

(As an aside, Jesus daytime tv is poo poo)

E: removing a poor taste joke. Some poo poo should stay in the garbage even if you're pointing out it's flaws.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 13, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

unlimited shrimp posted:

She already implied he can come back for sex in that scene together.

Stormfront dont gently caress your son

Makes that "now laser my tits" thing from the trailer something else, doesn't it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bioshuffle posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the goons in this thread start claiming Homelander and Doppleganger are the same character because they're portrayed by the same actor. Why even bother watching the show if they already have all the puzzle pieces figured out? It's baffling. To say the least.

There is absolutely no evidence in the show that they are the same, outside one sentence which could be interpreted a million different ways, and an accusation from someone who had one encounter, in the dark literally decades before the present. Don't forget that during the incident where Liberty kills the brother, she is wearing a hoodie, in the dark, and the girl is inside the car. That's outside the fact that witness testimony is notoriously unreliable. I'm going to bookmark this page so I can see how they backpedal when it turns out the whole thing was a red herring.

Will you actually admit you're wrong if it turns out you are, or are you just going to continue this full steam ahead thing where you say "I don't believe a character is ___ even though the character, actors, writers, producers, showrunner, and the source material all say said they are ___"?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Is this an implication of warming her milk? Because that's what you've done.

I hadn't thought that far into it, I don't know what I was implying but it's loving weird no matter what.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t believe this loving debate is still happening

Some people are monumentally bad at watching TV to the point of rewriting it in their heads, are trolling for an argument, or don't want to admit they like the nazi.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 13, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I remember watching the movie they made in 1988 so it isn't a stretch for her new persona to supposedly grow up watching it too.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Fanservice-y as it would have been, I wish Homelander had let Blindspot go a round or two with Black Noire. It fit his nature better to just deafen him there on the spot though.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Servaetes posted:

Yeah exactly what I'm saying. Like they know full well her nature and the partnership is mutually beneficial. I could totally see it being a money angle where they're promoting conflict against themselves and Vought sheds its skin to just be the same megacorp with a new name in the way she discarded the Liberty persona. The whole character and story hits the modern era notes pretty accurately.

They could also be deploying her specifically to replace or pacify him because they know his manchild tendencies are eventually going to be too tedious to deal with. As the end of the fourth episode implies Homelander feeling totally unburdened by things like love or adoration or fame make for an even more dangerous guy than he already was.

This makes sense to me. They knew Homelander was making supervillains and let's face it, they've been cleaning up his messes for decades. The higher ups might be thinking that he's becoming too big a liability so they're bringing in a heavy hitter to get him back in line (well, in a profitable, manageable, media-friendly line) or get rid of him altogether.

Wild speculation theory, maybe tying into one of the big reveals from the comic as well as the preview of next week: Homelander kills somebody he shouldn't, and is publicly reviled as a war criminal. Hell, we even see him lasering people in Vought Square. I wonder if the Homelander persona is going to be retired, and they'll bring out Doppleganger's body, still Homelander-ified, as proof that he's dead. Then Vought will try to put him in a new suit with a mask (maybe even Black Noir's suit) so he can stay on the team. He'd go even further insane if people aren't adoring him constantly despite his recent attitude, or even worse, openly talking about what a pig he was/is.

What happens to the real Black Noir, I haven't gotten that far ahead. I hope he sees what's going on and joins the boys, but that's wishful thinking. That and Homelander is such a "face" for the show I can't see them hiding him away for very long.

I don't see that happening or if it does, staying for very long, but it just sounded neat in my head.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

DogsInSpace! posted:

Or he brings out an 80s boombox and plays some Peter Gabriel. Sadly he chooses "Sledgehammer" so the message gets muddied.

Yeah.... HR responds by sending her to Sandusky. I don't blame Ashley at all. I know she's a PR Drone a lot of people would mock but she really was neck deep in the chum before she knew what hit her. She has obviously been terrified since like the second episode of this show when she was newer. Annika I think might be able to quietly slip away but I am fairly sure Ashley is toast. I bet the character knows this but is too terrified to do anything but watch the truck come slowly at her.

Watching the first ep of Season 2 again. "Sympathy for the Devil" is a cool song but I just feel a bit overdone with TV and movies. At least the Rolling Stones version. Janes Addiction did a version on their 80s album XXX. Use that or some custom cover.

The Ozzy cover was great. Honestly that whole Under Cover album was perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brz9N0O_DD8

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Hughmoris posted:

Fun episode. If they failed to show another scene of Frenchie & Kimiko, I would be just fine.

I'm interested to see where A-Train ends up. I think he ends up with The Boys, fighting for the good.

Also, I'm calling it now. Homelander falls hard for Stormfront. Stormfront gets murked, Homelander engages "gently caress it" mode.

I remember one of the previews it looked like A-Train talking to Hughie on the sidewalk before he took off running and spooked Hughie, but that might have been an editing fakeout.

Also kinda glad the mass murder scene was a daydream. I wonder if they're going to have a couple more of those until he actually decides to act on his impulses in public. And man I hope that Stormfront-is-Homelander's-mom thing is wrong because... yikes.

Romes128 posted:

I'm glad that A-Train picked up on Stormfronts racist bullshit.

So far there's A-Train and Maeve that aren't too happy with Homelander. (And Starlight of course).

Man I hope the thread doesn't devolve into more arguing over whether her racist tone constitutes her being a racist character or not.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

As Nero Danced posted:

I bet after the next episode the argument will be "OK, Stormfront is a racist and apparently hasn't aged in decades, but does that make her really a nazi?" Then the episode after that she shouts seig heil and does a roman salute, and the goalposts will shift again.

Called it. For my next prediction, "she was a Nazi but she defected, so she isn't anymore."

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I didn't expect to be proven right that quickly.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Keltar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJS9ym8gArU

We be getting some answers next episode it appears. Probably.

I don't care what his name is, I'm calling him Tetsuo.

E: I hope we get an orbital cannon taking shots at Homelander. And/or giant fleshmonster at some point

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

jabby posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Stormfront being 70+ years old and maybe an actual WWII-era Nazi lessons the impact of her character a bit.

There are tons of 30-year-old racists. Making her old feels a bit like it invokes the "product of her time" defence, like someone's racist Grandma that gets cut some slack because 'things were different back then'. Or it could be seen as presenting her kind of racism as something literally from a different era rather than something that's still endemic today.

I'd have made her a modern-day white supremacist instead of Captain Nazi from The Past, seems like it would've made her character hit home a bit more.

Having said that, the acting continues to be good. Homelander in particular is killing it with the facial expressions.

I kinda agree, but my counterpoint would be that even after 70 years she's still relevant, and we're not as removed from that ugly past as we want to believe we are.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I remember a movie called Look Who's Back where Hitler is timetravelled to modern Germany (it never explains how), and he goes around being literally Hitler and the only people that have a problem with him are neo nazis who think he's mocking them. Everyone else thinks he's some method actor even when he's on a latenight tv show to talk about what he would do if he were in charge again.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Keltar posted:

It's actually based on a book called the same. Both are very good, and worth the watch or read depending on ones preference. It's very well done because some parts of the movie were filmed with people who had no clue he was an actor or this was for a film and were basically agreeing with what he was saying which if you know anything about Hitler, that's troubling which is the point. Basically they partly pulled a Borat.

I always suspected they filmed those scenes like that, I was neve sure. Makes a lot of those conversations he had a lot creepier.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm sure the Collective will connect back to the main plot in a major way, but I also feel like The Deep is going to be a permanent punching bag and get poo poo on every season. He's enough of a dick that everyone's happy to see him suffer, but just nice enough that the audience isn't calling for his death. So he'll be a perpetual B-plot like this.

I hope he accidentally becomes the leader of the cult and has no idea what to do with it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bioshuffle posted:

He didn't reach out for help. They came and targeted him specifically because he was so mentally weak.

He is just such a big push over he allowed them to take control of his life, to the point where he doesn't even get to choose the person he marries.

I have a feeling he's going to have a come to Jesus moment where he thinks he'll find redemption by standing up to Homelander and will immediately get creamed.

I kinda like that idea. "Deep, you finally stood up for yourself. Good for you. Now put your shirt back on and hide those loving gills or I'll throw you out the window."

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'd say if anything the supe waited till the civilians were all behind him before taking a shot at Homelander.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

babypolis posted:

Seems weird to me that they have almost completely ignored Lamplighter so far. He doesnt even get mentioned in Dawn of the Seven! You think the writers forgot about him, or just saving him for another season?

I don't know if this is true or not, but supposedly the person on the phone with Stormfront from the hospital is the actor who's been cast to play Lamplighter. That scene really felt out of place but I get the feeling we'll get the context for it next week.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I can't help but wonder if (since I'm pretty sure they're not going to use the comic book Identity) there's going to be a reveal where Black Noir is someone we've seen in the show before unmasked (or never even hinted at as a supe). But who could fit that bill?

E: or maybe they'll pull a 180 and his identity doesn't matter. Butcher smashes his face in with a sledgehammer, kills him, pulls off the mask and says "well whoever he was, he's hosed now." And they never reveal who he really is.

VVV works for me, I was going to guess Hughie's dad. He warned him he didn't have the fight in him. Now if we can get Black Noir a plate of pizza bites...

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 21, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That reminds me, is Black Noir's mask made of zinc? And did homelander have the same inability to see through it in the comics, or is that a show only thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Look like one of the shot down theories from a couple days ago was right after all, footage from a cell phone on the botched plane rescue at 0:22