Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If stormfront had`nt spelled it out at the very end it would have gone over my head that she`s a racist. I tougth at first she just killed those people because of general opportunistic bloodlust. What else is a girl to do when her blood is up and there are people in the way? Her costume reminded me more of a sexy goth than schutzstaffel.

For a moment i tougth they were going for her seducing Homelander, and him falling for it because he is so emotionally fragile and being completely played by her to accomplish...something.
Now it appears he resents her for stealing the limeligth and (maybe) being close to his power level. If he opposes or kills her it will for exclusivly petty personal reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
[quote="Bust Rodd" post="507908706"]
It’s absolutely bananas to me that you know the word “schutzstaffel” well enough to use it and spell it correctly but couldn’t pick up on Stormfront’s obvious Nazi overtones.
[/quote

I`ll grant you that the name was a strong hint, but i did really think it was because her powers resemble storm from x-men.
That`s what makes her such a great character, it`s fairly obvious in hinsigth when i look back . But the tought did not cross me not until she had already done some nasty deeds.
I`m no writer but i think she works even better if she is (unknown to herself) a descendant of holocaust survivors adopted by a white gentile Vougth employee and raised to feel proud of her "nordic" heritage.
Maybe she kills herself just to be consistent.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not having read the comic i assumed by the end of season 1 that Deep`s arch was going to be him rejecting human society, stripping buck naked, and diving into the sea to live as a fish full time only to be dragged back into the action by some dumb accident.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Was HL really being truthful when he said he no longer needs people to love him? You don`t break the habit of a lifetime by a one time epihany, at least it`s very rare.

I must confess i really love the Deep as a character, he`s not yet lost all dignity so its still fun to see him step into one rake after another. If he is to be at least partially redeemed it could be by intervening to tip the odds against stormfront in the final confrontation, at the cost of his life. It would`nt wipe clean the slate but it would mean he had at last internalized that he did a bad thing and needed to be better. That`s something at least.

His little speech to Starligth was perfect too , basically a longer version of " I can change baby, take me back". Is there any other phrase spoken more often by abusers irl? Worked often enough for my dad on my mom that`s for sure.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah i would be seriously suprised if she is not Liberty, even if that would be my personal preference.
Ultimately these are just superficial details.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I always assume Becca had very little choice in giving birth or not, once she went to Vougth and told them she was in their clutches.
Her staying with the child makes perfect sense. She is his only chanche of a somewhat normal childhood and a life without crippling emotional issues. Ofcourse she wants to stay to protect him.

Now with that being said. Growing up with just his mother around has to end up causing him some harm, one way or another. He migth have a kind heart but he is still going to struggle to function normally. Probably a ton of social anxiety just walking down a crowded street. Instead of cruel and creepy like his father he will be merely nice, anxious, weird and lonely.
Maybe they will give him a nicer ending, but relastically that`s a best case scenario from growing up like Homelander`s kid.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Kid is being raised in å compound with only himself and his mother, maybe å few actors. Thats what gonna gently caress him up. The problem is not that becca is å single mother. I dont understand how anyone could think Thats what i meant. Becca is doing what she can to mitigate the damage, but there will be damage.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If there is one thing i have trouble beleiving it`s that there would be any serious resistance to letting supes work for the military in the first place.
I don`t see the twin towers in this version of New York so i assume 9/11 happened. Don`t tell me Bush jr and Cheney of all people would be against letting all-american patriot Homelander and the Vougth corporation participate in Iraq or Afghanistan? The only thing that could have kept them out until the super-terrorists show up would be the fear that they would be too effective and reduce profits of the defense industry. But that`s easily solved by letting Homelander obliterate allegded terrorists every now and again to lift moral, but otherwise running the wars as normal.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sure, but in the hysteria following 9/11 hardly anyone in the US goverment was thinking rationally. Relastically it would be the White house begging Vougth to get involved regardless of that the military leaders said, not Vougth having to wage a long pr-campaign over several years to be allowed to kill abroad under the US flag.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yet another amazing episode.
Stormfront is going to very interested in Homelander`s kid i think, it must have been the sorrow of her life that she could`nt pass her powers on and watch everyone she knew die.
Maybe that`s what will set off a split between them. He`s not a great dad obviously but on some level i think he wants Ryan to grow free and happy. He can never forget the things that was done to him growing up. Seeing Ryan confined to a similar lab to find out the secret of how to pass down supedom migth be the straw that breaks the camel`s back. That and feeling like he is being managed by a woman of somewhat equal strength and superior wits. The narcissim, the fragility of the male ego and the little humanity he has left in the form of resentment for his "childhood" could drive them apart. Stormfront and Homelander together seem too strong to be overcome by the boys and their allies, but split them off and it`s tough but winnable figth.
I bet it will go something like the boys mortally wound her after a horrible battle, homelanders swoops in and mercy kills her. Then he spins it to his favour, becoming the hero that saved America from "extremists on both sides".

Can`t wait to see what they do with the church, it has the potential to be really funny. But i gotta say, weird holywood cult seems a little tame as villain after Nazis with dreams of world conquest and racial purging.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I liked the flower arrangement , it was tacky but very sincere. I was suprised to see him even try to be romantic like that.
The message was appropriate for a colleague your loving but you are not yet in a settled relationship, but you are hoping for more. I would ask a professional to compose the boquet, and absolutely choose a different vase, but the message on the card seems like something i could have written.

Earlier i was wondering about the significance of SF/Liberty being drunk of her rear end when she beat that black man to death in the 70`s. But ofcourse it must have been when her husband had just died. A lot of the Nazi-leadership died in the late 70`s to early 80`s from natural causes. So that would make sense. Grieving, Drunk and angry. Feels very human and relateable in a way. I would compare it to how Hitler was humanzied but not excused or made insignicant in "Der untergang".

Stomfront`s coming out speech was also great. I if did`nt know anything about american or european history i would probably read that scene as genuinly heroic. Perfectly acted; SF`s completely sold on her own bullshit. The words spoken are horrible, but the music, ligthing, the tone of voice, and beyond all the body language are all saying" Awesome, this the great hero". The contrast creates quite a interesting emotional effect.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Since people are never getting tired of superheroes it`s good to see new takes on them now and again.
I have said it before but a superman mini-series set in 1938 has the potential to be really dope. Even better if it`s in 1931-34 the worst years of the depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The fact that the big bad is parody of Superman itself dates the show. The boys was not first the comic first to do" Superman but evil".
Now it almost feels a bit overused.

I feel like if The boys comic had been made today it would have focused more on a evil Batman or a evil Tony Stark character or possibly a parody of popular mangas and animes.