Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wait.... did he kill Patrice too?!?

I predict the premier will be on Friday. They'll just be all "and season 2 starts... today" like Netflix did with that awful Cloverfield Paradox film.

I'm probably wrong, but that's my prediction anyway.

I don’t think they will release it with minimal hype. It’s amazon’s biggest show, and probably the closest thing to a GoT successor in this post-monoculture world.

The show is probably ready to go, but with COVID shutting down productions for almost 3 months, there seems to be added incentive to release in a few weeks and both build hype for season 2, and bridge the gap to new content. Without COVID, I think it would have come out around this point, since the stories earlier in the year pointed to an early summer release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Starks posted:

the last two shows I watched week to week were the outsider and watchmen and both felt like a huge, disappointing waste of time. Releasing an already-finished show in increments is objectively worse for the consumer.

I also find that I'm much more likely to get spoiled on weekly shows because everyone's watching it and either spoils the book it's based on (Outsider) or someone just guesses everything accurately or it leaks (Watchmen).

Anyways I'm really glad that this season is not gonna be about (sneak peak spoilers) the Super-terrorist and also Aya Cash was great in that little clip.

Weekly episode releases are not worse for the consumer. If you have a show that is going to generate discussions, and try to build some buzz, weekly releases is by the superior way to go. Imagine if GoT season dropped all at once and some people binged the season in one go whole you watched 2 episodes before going to bed and then you woke up to discussions of how crazy the Red Wedding was, and that people can’t believe Robb Stark got killed in that way.

If you prefer binging, you already don’t care as much about spoilers (unless you are one of those people who stays up until 6am watching things in one go), and people who love binging can wait until a season is done airing and schedule their viewing as they please.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope fresca didn't pay for placement it's drat near impossible to find right now.

Was going to say the same thing. Not a single grocery or convenience store around me has any in stock.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elTgqUW-NYE

Who's the guy at the end escaping from the restraints?

That is a great trailer.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Either Kimiko or Frenchie is not long for this world. Whenever characters talk about doing one last job and then they can go to X place, that never materializes.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
This is starting to sound a lot like Stormfront is not a Nazi. Didn’t MM explicitly say Soldier Boy harassed a lot of black families back in the day? He is probably more bigoted towards non-supes than anyone we have come across other than Stormfront.

I can see Soldier Boy not wanting to fight Homelander, and very much being on his side, but Homelander’s ego won’t allow him to team up with someone that could beat him. If anything, Butcher is going to end up teaming up with Homelander to bring down Soldier Boy, since Homelander still wants to be king of the status quo, whereas Soldier Boy, who missed all the social change that happened during his imprisonment, will be all too eager to burn everything to the ground.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Slashrat posted:

It doesn't seem like Homelander has any personal connection Soldier Boy, or even most of his old team mates at the time Soldier Boy disappeared. Only Black Noir is left from that time, and he's not saying anything. I don't see how Homelander would know if even Vought didn't.

I think it's 100% just Homelander being used to coast along by half-assedly doing whatever his managers told him to do, and letting them clean it up when he bungled it. Now he's the manager, and he has no idea how to respond to this.

I think there was definitely an element of fear. ThIS guy is clearly the closest thing we have seen to seeing a supe as strong as Homelander, and Homelander has never been challenged in a fight. Flying off to capture this new supe would have done wonders for Homelander's approval ratings, but Homelander is not the kind of guy who will jump into a fight without being certain of victory.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

homelander didn't want the muslim or black woman into the seven and let the deep in instead and people are still wondering if he's a racist sexist super incel

i can't... lol

Homelander likes power and popularity. The black or the muslim women are not going to be popular with half the country (just look at the Ms Marvel ratings, which despite being among the best reviewed Disney+ shows, are half of Hawkeye - which was the previous lowest rated MCU show). The only reason he brought back The Deep is to torment Starlight. In season 1 he made it clear he thought The Deep was a joke.

Homelander has a pretty simple world view. He is on top, the rest of the supes are on the level below, with preference given based on how association with them benefits Homelander, and everyone else is just food.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I know this filmed long before Peacemaker aired, but it was funny to see Peacemaker do the Aquaman fucks fish joke, and then the Boys had the Aquaman stand in loving a fish (or at least some kind of sea creature).

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 25, 2022

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Also, Homelander got a real lesson on what it takes to run Vought.

He has been in charge for a few weeks, and the The Seven is down to The Two. He can't even focus on licking his wounds after the beating he took because the company is basically on fire and everyone is going to look to him to fix things.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The finale was ok. Something I’ve seen a lot of is people feeling that the show is just spinning it’s wheels if we don’t get the final Butcher - Homelander showdown where one of them dies, and if that is the only thing you are waiting for, you probably need to check out until the final few episodes of the final season.

I also wouldn’t expect any of the the boys to die until at least the finale of next season, assuming it’s the penultimate season.

Maybe season 3 should have been about taking down other low-mid level supes and battling homelanders fascist upstarts (with local chapters run by guys like Blue Hawk). Then you have season 4 where they find Soldier Boy as the supposed secret weapon to take out Homelander and put an end to everything.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Xealot posted:

And not even all supes: look at how he treats A-Train, or how he treated Blindspot, or his condescension towards Silver Kincaid. There's plainly an ethnic and gender component to his biases

Not really. The supe he seems to like the most is Black Noir, who he knew was black since he can see through the mask.

Homelander is biased in favor of power. A-Train, Blindspot, and Silver Kincaid are all weak in some respect (A-Train was a V junkie who can't use his super power, Blindspot is still blind even if his other senses are heightened, and Silver Kincaid would be deeply unpopular with at least half the country).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They never explicitly show her doing it so I'm going with no until told otherwise.

They also had her give a little speech to rally them once they found that bioweapon corpse. Why have that speech if she was just going to make them do it anyways?

Some were going to do it anyways, others needed a push. You see her eyes becoming more blood-filled as the episode goes on, which they have shown us happens when she over-uses her powers.

My biggest problem was with how short the episode was. It was barely above 30 minutes minus the recap and post-credits scenes. The show has been averaging 50 minutes an episode, and could have really used those extra 20 minutes to flesh things out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One thing I didn't like was that the show was never really "supes at college".

Apart from one scene at the sports arena in the first episode, where we're told this is the number one place to hang out (and then never see it again, lol) and a few seconds of acting class, the whole season pretty much ignored college life to revolve around the Forest mystery.

I think the problem with "supes at college" is that it becomes an R-rated CW show that has no reason to exist. I would like to think that the existence of a supe killing virus that Butcher is aware of, and that Newman has in her possession would be a big plot point in season 4 (along with Homelander trying to figure out just how many facilities Vought has that are using supes as guinea pigs and make Vought a company that servers supes rather than using supes to benefit human shareholders), and we should probably get some little background snippets talking about the Godolkin massacre, with a potential cameo from Cate or Sam who get brought to Vought HQ as understudies.

If season 4 of The Boys is mostly its own thing that barely acknowledges anything that happened in Gen V, then I guess we have that initial problem that Gen V tried to avoid anyway, and season 2 might as well switch to doing something completely different if it is just going to be an unrelated dose of gore that fills in between seasons of the mainline show.