Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

If so, very yes because in the comics part of Billy's origin story was his wife was raped by HL; he only found out when the superpowered fetus burst out of her stomach and he beat it to death which was peak Ennis.

Wrong, You mean Black Noir. A big thing about Homelander was that he wasn't a rapist ever, and his mental collpase from vapid celebrity to insane monster was because of his clone/Black Noir sending him pictures of Black Noir raping women, eating babies, and other poo poo from his clone going insane from his own failed programing to kill Homerlander

I honestly 50/50 on the changes from the comic. I think the comic world was much larger and more "realistic" because they spent so much time with the C and D list teams

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Did you miss the part of the page that it was previously discussed?

I'm fine with them not going after other groups yet; they mention enough of them this season, and I never cared for 'this team is lovely...' 'this team is also lovely...' stuff.

I'm wondering if next season they'll spend any time on Tek-Knight they investigated him in a murder case; and he had a compulsion where he couldn't stop loving things (due to a fist-sized brain tumor)

Actually, I didn't!

The thing is with the plot as advanced as it has, with all the urgency involved, I wonder if they could intergrate that stuff though now. I agree 3 seasons of it would be good, but handling poo poo the X-Men parody is really loving poignant at the moment, more than even normal #MeToo stuff. The Jeffery Epstein echos do need to be talked about

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 27, 2019

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i wonder if we get M.M.'s origin from the books on screen. especially his brother.

I think they threw that out the window, despite both being the reason for his name and one of the most interesting/well written things in the book, because it's interlinked with so much Ennis black sex humor.

Also I'm glad Stormfront is in this, but I'm praying they don't let up the shitiness of the character whatsoever, and just let there be a Nazi Thor who is a woman

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Grem posted:

I was really pleased with how The Deep's story turned out. It looked like they were going to try to make him sympathetic, but everything that happens to him doesn't invoke sympathy, it makes me happy.

I can think of one thing that loving baffled me in their decision making there, but considering this is a Ennis/Rogen production, it shouldn't loving have. The whole Deep getting raped by a fan thing was a too much, considering they are keeping him as a pathetic washed up MeToo celebrity guy joke.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tino posted:

That read like a bad plot to me since it excuses Homelander of all his bad deeds. The show focuses the blame to the mad scientist corporate lab and Homelander himself. Also, does Homelander have a civilian name?

It isn't, it keeps the themes of the comic and now tv series consistent and how they possibly handle Black Noir/Homelander clone/failsafe situation can break or make the television show.

Making Homelander solely or even responsible for his actions/sociopathy and be the main drive of the plot does the Great Man/Hero narrative of comics and dumb guy history. It makes the story of The Boys about bad actors enabled by large corporations, instead of large corporations enabled by bad actors who can occasionally go off the rails and do even more damage. Vought is the actual villain in the series, and so are it's counterparts in the military/media industrial complex; not Bill O'Reilly or Tucker Carlson, or a particular make of ground to air missile. The comics made the smart move of an individual or small group of Supes, not that important. They could be killed be proper trained military forces if they got off their asses, the problem being how captail prevented that from happening and instead protecting them.

The idea Homelander would be just a Tom Cruise jumping on a couch and saying dumb poo poo that everyone laughs at, if it were for Vought's internal paranoia of controlling an uncontrollable and putting making sure it stayed in a system it was already in willingly and had notion or idea of leaving it, and a lovely method of removal that actually causes him to rebel, is more on point with the "Supes in the military." Homelander shouldn't be a rapist, just vain and petty, until a push happens that didn't have to happen by forces larger than any one indivdual. Otherwise he's just Thanos but with good publicity. He ceases to be the extremist America arms to stop unions or communists, who turns on it, or a metaphor for the insanity of weapon build ups

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Khanstant posted:

it's only racist if you do it racistly in your mind on purpose

There is a difference between Homelander 'Drop some slurs in as a little bonus, before throwing off a person off a skyscraper if they're a PoC or LGBTQ+" vs Stormfront where racism is the end goal and point of what they do. Despite the Trumpisms they added this seas because Bush 2006 was too dated (they didn't fit the character at all) Homelander is a racist but it's run off and incidental to the type of monster he is. If Stormfront was a hot Zionist or Wahhabist, he still would have fallen 'in love' with her and tepidly went along with her ideology before it was made clear at the end of the day it didn't revolve entirely around him.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

christmas boots posted:

That is true but also, at the end of the day, what’s the difference? His motivations are different and the path he takes to get to that place are different and that can be interesting to compare and contrast, but ultimately does it matter in the grand scheme of things?

In the grand scheme of things it does, because the difference between them is that Stormfront eventually wanted to be outed as FemNazi but after she got America more used to being white supremacist feminists but Homelander getting actually cancelled on Twitter, with most PoC and women hating him would actually break his brain and even now is something he is trying to avoid as his main goal with him; he's just currently partly doing it by reminding every Supe who pushes him that he'll just destroy the United States in 24 hours if they dox him or whatever. He legit wants to be the White Guy who Can Say It and widely popular with the woke teens, as well as the popular Dark Web Intellectual Guy, NOT Kyle Rittenhouse on the talk show circuit. Being revealed as a bigot is what is going to do him in at the end of this season probably, basically.

It's something I think Starr realizes but the writers don't because they're still writing an evil Trumpy Superman but he realizes how deeply narcissistic is. He can adapt, though poorly; Homelander is more Obama than Trump, but the people making this show are libs so...

EDIT: I agree this has been talked about enough though, and I'm just wondering where they're going with Solider Boy, because there is an element of humanity with him as opposed to Homelander

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 24, 2022

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Calling a Nazi a Zionist sure is a take.

I, uh, didn't? I said Homelander is attracted to extremists, but is ultimately going to get angry at them when it's clear their ideology stops revolving around him and instead what he can do 'for the cause'

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

bobjr posted:

Homelander gets beat at a video game by some 12 year old, and his family has to go on the run to avoid his wrath

Homelander falls for the Candice joke and 50 people die

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Chemtrailologist posted:

Please end the Frenchie storyline immediately. I don't care if they have to kill everyone involved in the worst way possible.

It's exactly like the Hughie Starlight stuff where it's time to end the romantic plot tumors. I don't care about Hughie's minor sexism (there is a geninue LITERAL power imbalance in their relationship! Don't care!) Frenchie being a Simp or the Kimiko stuff. They're all dating and in love, you can end it there unless you actually put Hughie/Butcher together because they are the only ones with any sexual chemistry

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I think the performance gives him the opposite of sympathy (is that antipathy?). The character is obviously innately sympathetic -- the war hero captured and experimented on by the bad guys -- but the way he plays it makes him basically a worse person than Homelander. Maybe not as grandiose and controlling, but he's such a brusque uncaring incurious arrogant bigoted rear end in a top hat that he loses any sympathy I might have for him.

Totally disagree. He literally is the ur-prototype of Homelander, up to and including his tragic backstory and his character flaws being the same (narcissism, bigotry) but muted and partly explained away by being a dude born in the 20's. Even his wanton murder being blackouts from pretty horrific trauma. It's very obvious what they are doing here, sure. But it's kinda of important and it works because it comes off as slightly psychopathic not to lend that type sympathy or humanity when they're pointedly denying it Homelander despite his being even worse because of how broken he is.

Phenotype posted:

Agreed on Starlight and Hughie, though. There's such a world of difference between "I don't mind if my girlfriend could beat me up and wins at bowling" and "we're under threat for our lives from evil Superman and assorted secondary superfuckers and I want to be able to actively help things." Then again, I'm kind of on Team Temp V, just because the stakes are so high that it seems worth the gamble.

The feminist metaphor just doesn't work, but more importantly the liberal 'If Only Sheeple knew the Truth!' world view doesn't. Homelander already threatened to just end the United States (and he can do it, easily) and is increasingly unhinged now that all his human connections are loving gone. Realistically, if they followed through, Annie just killed millions of people. Sometimes you do have to have a loving bloody revolution and do necessary evils in life. Butcher and Hughie are doing nothing wrong, and maybe if Starlight and MM got of their high horse, Homelander would be a grease stain

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

sponges posted:

I don’t know how Hugie can morally justify hanging around with Solider Boy at this point. Or hanging around him out of basic self preservation. The guy is a time bomb.

Because Solider Boy isn't totally responsible for his actions He WAS going to spare the TNT Twins before he blacked out, he clearly regretted just blowing up a random building. Also Homelander is far worse and not only threatened his life, directly, but he's going blow up New York or something

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Homerlander literally told Starlight if she doxes him, he'll destroy everything. I know we're on an internet forum, but it's okay to say Posting Harder isn't going to fix anything

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah but Hughie's insistence that HE has to be the one physically involved in doing this is born out of nothing but his feelings of emasculation. Annie was onboard with working with him, she was recruiting people to work alongside her (actually following along/joining in with Maeve who had decided to try and use her powers to give Butcher an opening against Homelander) and as we see in this episode a group of superheroes working in concert CAN overpower Homelander but HE wanted to be the one to do it, because it bugs him that his girlfriend is stronger than him.

Hughie's entire thing is about him wanting to feel like a "man" and get to revel in the same power he's seen others abusing. Every time we see him take the V we see that he's like a junkie getting a fix, and all his moral concerns are quickly falling by the wayside for the sake of convenience. I don't think it's a coincidence that this episode sees him confront A Train - who killed his ex-girlfriend and then put it behind him without a thought - and then still eagerly take part in the fight with Homelander AND leave with Soldier Boy after Soldier Boy caused the collateral damage that Hughie insisted he had to avoid, apparently willing to accept that innocent people like MM's family getting murdered is a necessity.

I mean, yeah, but one of those emasculating moments was finding out his boss was rigging the 'official' way of handling Supes. This is a world where Ice Princess literally froze a dude's dick off, and he got somewhat lucky because Hughie saw a dude have his head crushed because a Supe came too hard, and the fact his girlfriend quite frankly is a very thin layer of protection against the increasingly unhinged Homelander. I know the show is trying to paint it as 'soft boyfriend sexism' but this outright extends into the fact everyone's life is in total and complete danger, and him standing around naked with his dick in his hand is actually the most useful he's been in the situation. When you think about this situation for ten seconds the show's theme this season falls apart. I mean is there any fundemental difference in Hughie hanging out with "a murderer" (all the Boys, and Starlight are killers) who shots out radiation or a Soviet Super Weapon that does massive collateral damage? Her sudden turn against it legit doesn't make sense given that.

I mean once again, how does that Instragram post by Annie make a lick of sense given they already had the cellphone footage of Not 9/11 to hold over his head and how clear it's been made leaking anything like that is a bad idea? What is MM and her actual thought process here? The internal logic of the show should be that because of this civilization is about to end because their moral grandstanding and they can't accept in life you have to make ethical compromises and sell your cell to accomplish wider issues and see actual justice done. It's getting almost comical how the past two seasons was filled with 'I'd like to see Voight and Homelander get out of this one' only for Voight to get out of it easily by buying their way out of the consequences or the existential threat of Homerlander realizing doesn't need anyone else to survive and doesn't need to adhere to any rule of society because of it, especially because he isn't benefiting from the social bonds it provides in return.

This is also not going into the fact Solider Boy is way more morally complicated than MM or Starlight think and it's clear he can be reasoned with, not remotely like Homelander or even most of the Seven (or what remains of them).

I mean it's hard to take MM and her thought process seriously at all when the natural conclusion of the show is going to be The Boys and assorted decent Supes doing whatever it takes because Homelander finally goes totally off the rails.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I will say in regards to this that I think Soldier Boy's reaction to MM - "You killed my family" "Which one? :shrug:" or in other words that he's killed more families as collateral damage than he can count (or be bothered to) - demonstrates that he's only better than Homelander insofar is that Homelander is just such an awful and utterly narcissistic monster who thinks he is the only real person (or at least person worth caring about) in the world.

It isn't, Again, in the hotel room he seems horrified about what happened in New York when he just blasted a random block. 'I only kill bad people'. It's very clear what they're building here, as far as he's knows MM was the son of people running a child trafficking ring. He doesn't even advance or threaten MM, similarly to him not actually attacking the TNT twins until he blacks out again because of the Russian song. He was going to spare them and was just curious about why MM was out to get him.

Solider Boy is an obnoxious spoiled celebrity who was privileged enough to be shielded from the very idea his actions could have wider implications then those he intended. It goes back to why he could give the thumbs up to Mallory for doing a great job, while being spellbound and furious she found his pick up lines pathetic and cringe worthy. He's Solider Boy, he won World War II and helped a plucky Osama Bin Laden fight off the Soviets! How could he possibly gently caress up and kill innocent people or do more damage than he stopped or people be mad at him? The culmination of his arc is him going to realize that he was a careless rear end in a top hat before the Russians got their hands on him.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
He 100% just murked his rear end because he was in the way

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I like the fact A-Train wasn't even mad, both because he knew he deserved it and because it was strange it worked

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Considering Soldier Boy and Butcher have legitimate combat training and experience I think it actually reinforces that Homelander is still decently stronger because he it seemed like he was clearly winning the 1v1 matchups

It's why even if the fight was great (it was), I think it went the wrong way with it. Homelander could have been just pummeled and totally unmatched, while being totally unhurt and unharmed with just that black eye to show for it like in the episode kinda reminding everyone he coasted his powers so anyone playing in the same league on him is going to clown on him, but that he survived nukes without a scratch, so it's not like being jumped is going to do anything but hurt his ego

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

starlight posts in d&d

She's too liberal for them. Annie is KHive

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

The man who was genuinely eager to help the Contras?

So did Mallory

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't think the CIA lady is a good person either though

The show is oblivious or evil enough to humanize them despite the Homelander being a genuinely better person by a large margin, Solider Boy's support of them isn't indicative of where his arc is going (especially because unlike Mallory he is a huge loving moron and doesn't know better-

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

jabby posted:

Just :cripes: his toxic masculinity could not be any more obvious, come on guys.

I have zero idea you'll see this in the wild on Youtube or whatever with a big enough platform, but most people think this it's insanely out of character and part of the dumb need to add relationship drama

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

How is this thread the worst one on the forums

Because this is a good show, with serious flaws that wobbles between between politics and themes from 2006 or 2016 with no in between

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Bad finale, great season.

Really weird show now where individual episodes are masterpieces but the overall season arc(s) feel weak.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

Homelander is the first superhero-aligned satire of Trump that I think works.

It doesn't but it comes close; part of that has to do with the hold over Bush poo poo creating a mixed metaphor, but just that Trump egotism comes from being rich piece of poo poo that could easily be pummeled by the average goon because he's an elderly fat blob in a fist fight and having no knowledge or intellect outside of managing a real estate business (and doing that...not so well, but the same can be said of most CEOs). Homelander is not only super strong/fast, but conventionally attractive and up to this point (unlike say Trump) had the self control and chops to be a normal, beloved mainstream celebrity.

He's more of a Pete Buttigege or Obama, or a Tom Cruise vibe wise (ironically Patrick Bateman than). Stan Edgar would be more than Trump: yeah a smart businessman, because you kinda have to make that narrative conceit even if it isn't true in real life. But the average CEO would be a serial killer if they weren't successful and he's under the constant reminder next to a Homelander that he could die by tripping down the stairs and while Homelander is going to break a bus if it runs into him. It'd be more him who goes more and more unhinged by being next to his internalized hope of being an amoral demigod.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Equeen posted:

Compared to Butcher (fully became his POS father, down to him also dying soon) and Solider Boy (disgusted by men showing emotional vulnerability due to his own lovely relationship with his emotionally abusive father), he kinda is the only one genuinely trying lol.

Would love to see Homelander happy and healthy next season, actually being a great dad to Ryan, no longer ripping people to shreds unless they threaten him or his son, no longer ominously threatening his coworkers, and instead teaching his son how to be a (mentally healthy) rear end in a top hat and just being a toxic, shithead boss who belittles and undermines everyone around him

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Yeah lol just straight up telling his son "no matter what you do I'll always love you" even if he can't fully back that statement up is legitimately 100x better parenting than Soldier Boy and Butcher lmao

I mean, not so great on the rest of the job but the bar is real loving low

No way they are going to kill Butcher off this soon though, even if this just a 5 season show

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Quick question, but how bad is MM at sex that Todd just replaced him?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I did like that they somewhat subverted the Bury Your Gays thing with Maeve and she got both a heroic sacrifice and a depowered and well-deserved retirement.

Yeah, I hated that. Do one or the other.

Wheeee posted:

MM has to lay three towels down on the bed first, insists on wearing mormon pajamas to stay clean, and freaks out if he feels anything wet

Given his OCD, he's probably incapable of eating pussy. Much like Butcher, he's secretly very much like a famous superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

That DICK! posted:

i dont mind maeve getting to ride off in the sunset happy but i can't get over the feeling that tackling soldier boy in a defiant self-sacrifice was a scene they wrote for noir, then they switcharoo'd it to maeve after realizing they'd given her basically poo poo all to do all season.

Same, and I can get into this is also a trope with black people in media. They have Noir the pathetic out of nowhere death, when Maeve was fully on the Butcher Train (more so than loving Butcher) because she was there and responsible when that plane went down