Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Was the new ep just uploaded early? It says every Friday but I watched episode 4 yesterday evening.

This happens sometimes. I remember my wife and I waiting desperately for Good Omens to go live and it ended up being available several hours early. Do they use midnight GMT or something?

OK so I read most of this thread but not all of it and here I am just finishing S2E4 and here are random thoughts. This will be long deal with it.

First of all I agree with everyone about all the amazing performances in this show. The casting and acting is just awesome. I also love the direction and cinematography. Most importantly, as others have said, this show is REALLY uncomfortable to watch most of the time. The gore doesn't bother me but there's always this dread that anyone can just suddenly die any second and they do it just often enough that it keeps me on edge whenever I'm watching. I've never watched a show that made me feel that way before. Mad props to the showrunners for pulling this off.

I also love all the little details they put in the background and in the costumes and sets. Some of this stuff I noticed myself and other bits I picked up itt. I really should go back and watch everything all over again to see what else I may have missed. The people making this show really give a poo poo about the quality of all the minutiae and I love it.

I was really hoping that Ryan wouldn't have the same super powers HL has. I know we saw glowing eyes at the end of S1 but it was really stupid for HL to assume that Ryan was literally a clone and had all the same powers. Maybe he has laser eyes but that's all? I was kind of hoping that they would somehow show the extent of Ryan's powers and he'd be way less powerful than HL thought and HL would get disappointed and disown Ryan or something.

I'm glad Becca called out Butcher for his blanket anti-supe bullshit and while it's sad, it's also showing how hosed up Butcher is that he wants his wife to give up her kid and share the same supe hate that he does. Now he has literally nothing left and he's either going to go in even harder on HL or he's going to find a way to try to kill Ryan and make it look like an accident so Becca will take him back. I also find it interesting that in the same episode where Butcher loses the only thing he clings to for comfort, so does HL. HL goes total narcissist and now everyone including Edgar should be scared shitless because now nobody holds and sway over him at all. If HL is being totally honest then there is nothing that anyone can give him that he can't give himself. He is absolutely going to start killing a ton of people including Vought executives and not care at all because he doesn't want the money and status and fame anymore.

I thought it was kinda lovely that the reason HL didn't kill Butcher is because of Becca threatening to kill herself in front of Ryan and tell him it was HL's fault. I really like the idea of HL being a sadist who wants to emotionally torture Butcher much better. I mean it's cool character building for Becca and I appreciate that but I prefer she didn't have to do that.

I still don't understand Starlight and Hughie. They have never sat down and explained anything to each other. Hughie lied to and used Starlight more than once, almost getting her killed, Butcher also shoots her in the chest with a .50cal and Hughie runs off with Butcher instead of staying with Starlight and trying to help her? And she still somehow forgives him? None of that makes any sense.

Speaking of bad communication, The Boys seem to never talk to each other. Ever. I can't count how many times I've yelled at my screen "Hey maybe you should have had a conversation about this already!" Then Butcher shows up out of nowhere and declares everyone follow whatever harebrained bullshit scheme he has and nobody ever refuses to go anywhere until Butcher explains himself. They've all been hosed over so many times that none of them should ever trust him until he comes clean with all the details first. They are all stupid as gently caress to continue to follow him. Their revenge isn't worth suffering through his abuse and guessing games.

I also don't understand anything between A-Train and Starlight. A-Train absolutely could have killed her at any point if he wanted to and I can't see what Starlight could have done about it. Her threats about "I'll bring you down with me" shouldn't have resonated with him at all and if anyone can explain it to me I'd love to be set straight.

I don't understand what was going on with Kimiko and Kenji either. Until she finds him, he's apparently all she thinks about and he's the only thing she has left and he means the world to her. Then after he declares that he wants to fight back against the 7 and America in general I have no idea why she would want to try to keep him from doing that or at least leaving The Boys to go with him and try to work on convincing him to change his mind. Frenchie was nice to her and all but she should be loyal to her brother first and foremost. It's not like him fighting imperialist fascists is something she should be against. Maybe she just wanted to stop fighting in general and just go home to hang out but at this point there really isn't any going back and it's weird that she chose to basically betray the person she cares about the most and turn him into the CIA where he will absolutely be tortured.

I'm with everyone who's already over The Deep being just a joke segment every episode. If he's going to get a redemption arc let's get it going. It doesn't have to be a fast one and I'm cool with it being 2 steps forward 1 step back all over the place but the Scientology angle is really lovely and I loathe the cult leader woman and I hate that the Deep isn't just telling them all to gently caress off. If he's not going to get a redemption arc then I'd prefer that he just go full-on eco-terrorist and have the 7 kill him than continue with what they're doing. I don't even find any of it funny. It's just sad and pathetic. The only time I laughed at any of his Ohio exile nonsense is when he was pushing the grocery cart and all it had in there were Doritos and kids cereals and soda and other junk food. That was hilarious.

This is going to be super nerdy but it really bothers me that we haven't seen more supes fighting each other and that we haven't really seen what anyone is truly capable of with their powers. I know the writers probably want to reveal this stuff slowly but I really want to know who can beat who or at least have a guess. Especially Maeve vs. Homelander. She's afraid of him but she's also one of the only people to stand up to him. I'm not sure she could take him down one on one but I want to know how much help she might need to do it. I really think HL can't truly be killed by conventional means so they'll have to find a way to subdue and imprison him somehow although I have no idea how you'd do that and it would probably involve a ton of trial and error and costs dozens of supe lives.

With Stormfront I really hope they explain what happened in the last 50 years because that's a huge history gap between being Liberty and being Stormfront and there is no way that Vought doesn't know about all that. I see why they hired her from a capitalistic perspective but not from the obviously hilariously racist angle.

It's weird to me that nobody on the show has mentioned a Homelander failsafe yet. Clearly the showrunners read the comics and even if the Black Noir angle isn't the way they want to go they have to have written down something because there is no way Vought didn't think of that. There's no way. I know you can't reveal something like that too soon because it takes away from the terror HL strikes in people but I really hope it's not something that Vought is only just now thinking of. From an ultra-greedy capitalist perspective there is no way they would leave that huge risk open.

My one stupid fan theory: Butcher will find out that he's a supe, but a low power one. His super power will be Silver Tongue or something like it. Not mind control but an amplified ability to persuade people by talking. Not only would that completely ruin him as a supe-hater but it would also explain how all of his awful speeches actually convince anyone to listen to him. I thought the Spice Girls speech was funny just like everyone else but if I were Frenchie or MM I would've just walked away because are you loving kidding me. I would love it if it turns out that people didn't follow him because they shared a common goal but because he can just convince people to do so by talking to them for long enough.

Nitpicky poo poo but gently caress it I hate stuff like this:

There is literally no way The Deep got from Ohio to NY in the span of like an hour or two, even if he found the fastest sea creatures to take him through the Great Lakes as fast as possible. I know there are things in this show where you're not supposed to ask questions but that was just dumb. They could've done better.

How the hell did HL hear Becca's conversation with the medical facility doctor? I tried to think of anything plausible given his super senses and whatever but there's just no way unless he somehow had everything everywhere bugged, including Becca herself. Dumb.

The 7 having tracking chips in them has been in my mind since they first mentioned it in S1 and they only ever talk about it or care about it in cherry picked situations. It's not consistent at all and there have been a bunch of times when Vought could have gone to get someone or called them or sent someone to check on them. If there's a way to jam the signal that's fine but nobody ever mentions it. That really annoying to me. It's also completely ridiculous that certain people are shown explicitly using burner phones to dodge tracking and yet apparently the 7 have personal phones that aren't tapped/bugged by Vought? There is no way in hell they would allow that.

The security in this compound where Becca and Ryan live really sucks. Butcher climbed over the wall, a security camera saw him, and yet he was able to go to Becca's house, break into her car (with another camera right nearby) and sit there and wait for her, and nothing happened. No guards came. Nobody did anything. I know they needed to have Butcher and Becca reunite briefly but they could have done that with a little more Solid Snake Butcher and less of him just being magical Butcher and doing whatever with nobody noticing.

There is no way Butcher managed to sneak a .50cal rifle into a public park to shoot Starlight, even under that big coat. Just lmfao at that stupid poo poo and there's no way they got away from that clean either but oh well.

All that said, this show is great and I love it flaws and all. I'll be watching it until the end or until it jumps the shark.

Oh and Take 5 is the best candy bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Please stop stating this over and over like its completely 100% definitive.

Jesus christ.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-boys-liberty-stormfront-homelander-madelyn-stillwell-doppelganger-eric-kripke/

quote:

When Valerie — who says Vought paid off her family to keep them quiet — asks the group not to reveal what she’s told them because she is afraid of what Liberty would do to her, they try to comfort her by saying no one has seen Liberty since 1979 and “she’s probably dead by now.” Well, Valerie doesn’t agree, pointing at a picture of Stormfront on a newspaper and informing them that that is Liberty.

And no, she’s not confused.

“I think mostly they do believe the woman. I can spoil the amount that Starlight will be tracking Stormfront in the next episode and will get confirmation that it is, in fact, true,” “The Boys” showrunner Eric Kripke told TheWrap. “Stormfront is just much older than they thought. And with Compound V, anything is possible and she just doesn’t age like other people age. And it all kind of falls into this thesis with her, which is, she comes off as so modern and media-savvy and up-to-the-minute. But what she’s really selling is a very, very old evil and hate that’s been around for thousands of years. And so the idea that she is older than we think and has been pitching the same s–t for decades now, made sense to us.”

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

This is from a few pages back but this is my personal pet theory for dumb the dumbest reason: in the comics they made a big deal about how the best way to get super heroes that weren't garbage was to inject a fetus in utero. Homelander's loaded up with V, not entirely unlike Spiderman and his infamously radioactive sperm, and BAM you get super kid. When Becca goes to Vought they realize it's not Homelander's kid, but Homelander sure as hell won't know so they just say it is because that's far more terrifying and easier to use to manipulate everyone involved.

Becca literally said "Homelander raped me". If any other supe had done that to her I feel like Becca would have said something about it since she has no reason to lie to Butcher.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

:confused: Yes? The fact that Homelander raped Becca is not incompatible with the idea that she was already pregnant with her husband's child.

Oh I see what you mean but that makes no sense based on everything we've seen in the show. Even if my dumb fan theory is true and Butcher is a supe and doesn't know it, the laser eyes are kind of a dead giveaway unless the RNG is hilariously coincidental.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Hate-O-Tron posted:

I haven't really seen anybody posit this theory in the thread, but what if Stormfront is Homelander's bio-mom?

In the comics, Homelander was made from Stormfront's DNA.

Liberty disappeared off the map in 1979, which would line up to be around the right age for
Homelander.

It would explain why Edgar recruited her for the Seven. He has to know what a complete racist
psycho she is, and chose her despite that because of the maternal connection knowing how
many Mommy issues Homelander has.

The disappointment and reverence she shows as she circles around HL would definitely track
with that theory.

Well HL had to have had sperm from a dad and an egg from a mom and the records of those people are absolutely on file with Vought somewhere and I'm kinda surprised HL hasn't bothered to torture it out of some people by now. Maybe later this season or next season.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sockser posted:

Dysfunctional couples and recreational drug use, mostly. Also a fair bit of burnout, PTSD, and some good-natured humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Vq6BySruo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du_r992sCRQ

These two clips sum most of it up

Those people seem insufferable. Hard pass. The acting is good though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously this is the thread to talk about The Boys, do not get loving angry at people for talking about The Boys here

:ironicat:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

They’re right and none of the reviews were that long.

Entitlement is a hell of a drug

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

Lol imagine defending amazon

There’s literally no reason for the company to release them to week except that they can get more money that way

Imagine thinking anyone here is defending amazon lol

People throwing internet tantrums about not being able to binge a super hero tv show are literally children

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Baudolino posted:

I always assume Becca had very little choice in giving birth or not, once she went to Vougth and told them she was in their clutches.
Her staying with the child makes perfect sense. She is his only chanche of a somewhat normal childhood and a life without crippling emotional issues. Ofcourse she wants to stay to protect him.

Now with that being said. Growing up with just his mother around has to end up causing him some harm, one way or another. He migth have a kind heart but he is still going to struggle to function normally. Probably a ton of social anxiety just walking down a crowded street. Instead of cruel and creepy like his father he will be merely nice, anxious, weird and lonely.
Maybe they will give him a nicer ending, but relastically that`s a best case scenario from growing up like Homelander`s kid.

This is sexist as hell. There are tons of people who exist in real life that were raised by single parents regardless of gender and turned out fine. The idea that every child needs two parents, one with traditionally masculine traits and another with traditionally feminine traits is comically outdated.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kilson posted:

I'm pretty sure they meant that the *only* other person the kid sees is his mother, not that SINGLE MOTHER BAD.

OK that's fair. Apologies if that was the case.

Ryan also has a math tutor but yeah that's the only other person we see him interact with. The walled compound + actual mom thing is definitely better than how HL was raised but yeah I don't think this kid is gonna socialize well without neighborhood kids or schoolmates to play with.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is he? By what metric?

Not to be argumentative but I haven't felt that way, personally.

He's literally the relatable target demographic stand-in. Young, white, nerdy, tech savvy, into comic books and toys, maybe not the best home/family life, etc. This is Hughie's journey.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah, The Boys is extremely entertaining but I really don’t get the sense that it’s trying to “say something”, just trying to tell this awesome story. Watchmen pretty clearly had a message that ended up, uh, becoming completely hyper relevant only a few months after it was being criticized as “heavy handed”.

Uhhh what? This show has tons to say on multiple socioeconomic issues.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Just finished it. Great episode.

How the hell did Stormfront know for sure that Starlight leaked Compound V? I feel like Edgar was suspicious that it was an inside leak and had Stormfront investigate but they never say how she knows for sure.

The scene with the explosions had me laughing like crazy and I wish it had gone on a while longer. I didn't want the walking sounds and explosions to end.

I agree with whoever said that Ryan's existence shouldn't have been a big enough deal to keep BN from killing all of them. I guess it would throw a wrench in Vought's deny/pretend to investigate messaging but it wouldn't bring them down.

Biggest plot hole for me is still Butcher getting in and out of a supposedly high security compound, getting spotted on camera at least once, and nothing happening. No guards, no nothing. That makes no sense.

I liked that we got more information on some of the supes' powers. I wanted that for a while.

I liked what someone said about Stormfront always acting like she read the script. That makes perfect sense for someone who's 70 years old and has had all these conversations a thousand times. It's supposed to make you hate her and it's awesome.

Everything with Deep was really funny this time.

I don't think Maeve's coup is going to succeed but I hope they all at least do something meaningful to him.

The final scene was incredible. I loved it. My wife said Buffy did it first but I never saw Buffy so :shrug:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

JosefStalinator posted:

Is it shameful that I laughed a bit when she broke out the "I'm gay". Sa has poisoned me.

It was supposed to be funny because it was a lovely shoehorned line that parodies how awful this kind of stuff is in most movies.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Collateral posted:

Perhaps they have seen him there with HL and Edgar told them to keep their distance, preferring to send BN after him.

I could see that, but I feel like there should have also been a sort scene where someone at Vought is watching the camera while Butcher goes over the wall and then calls the compound security and tells them to hold off and observe only.

Does anyone have an answer to my previous question about how Stormfront knows that Starlight leaked Compound V? They never show her interrogating anyone.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

socialsecurity posted:

She was 10 feet away when she was talking about it with Gecko, if she has even close to Homelanders super hearing she probably just heard.

Arglebargle III posted:

Or, to be honest, she might have heard it using regular hearing.

They would have shown a brief shot of her overhearing then. Come on, this show has flaws but they wouldn't overlook something like that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Or, maybe gecko just loving told her. It's not like she's above being charming to get what she wants.

This is actually what I was thinking but again we're never shown this and she never says "a reliable source told me" or something. I guess it's not supposed to matter. We're probably just supposed to think she's really smart and resourceful and we're supposed to be kinda scared of her in that way.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

She got it from Starlight’s mom. Starlight had already confronted her mom about compound V before it was public and Stormfront put the timeline together. That’s why she first brings it up during that meeting.

OK that's fair. I guess that was just too subtle for me lol I'm bad at watching TV!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GimpInBlack posted:

TBH I read it as Stormfront the Nazi making an educated guess about Starlight and Starlight's unconvincing denial just confirming it for her.

My wife said that too and I like that idea as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

Come on now, it's not fair to judge tv shows by what they show and tell us

Yeah I mean half the fun is completely ignoring those things and making up random bullshit that I wish happened instead.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

Homelander let Butcher live because Becca asked him to (presumably so he'd get some HL Jr access).

Homelander said as much

HL didn't kill Butcher because Becca threatened to kill herself in front of Ryan and tell Ryan "this is your dad's fault" and HL could sense that she wasn't lying. She says these words out loud to Butcher when they're together.

massive spider posted:

he was always a violent dick, Mallory 'turned him into a weapon' by giving him the tools to be a violent trained spy dick.

I like that butcher was always a bit like that. Normal non-violent people dont suddenly turn on a dime after one traumatic event, or rather Hughie is a more accurate version of someone who has that particular arc. It's fundamental to Butchers character and charm that he enjoys what he does.

someone mentioned the short so here it is if anyone hasnt seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75pAMx_LBK8

I mean it doesent add much so I see why it wasnt in S2, thoguh I was wondering what his relationship to alcohol was like since in the comics he doesent drink (since he knows it makes him a more violent oval office than usual) but in S2 he did.

Butcher's Aunt Judy tells Hughie a story about how when Butcher was in grade school he almost killed a kid during a playground fight. Butcher has always been a violent abusive bully.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

unlimited shrimp posted:

I haven't re-watched Season 1 so can someone please remind me --

To what extent do the supes go out and "fight crime" versus do promotional stunts and star in media franchises?

Almost none of the former. The opening of S1E1 where Maeve stops the getaway truck, the episode where HL and Maeve handle an active shooter, and the plane hijacking are the only things I remember that are "approved" crime fighting activities. I guess you could also count HL going overseas and taking out the warehouse full of people making drugs (was that supposed to be knockoff Compound V?).

In season 1 they explicitly go out of their way to show that when Starlight beats up rapists it's bad for her publicity and Ashley yells at Starlight for it. Eventually the woman who was the assault victim comes out in favor of Starlight's actions so it all ends up OK but then that's when Vought forces Starlight to wear her new "empowered woman" outfit instead of her original one. In the most recent episode about HL's war crime Ashley says to him "This is why I wish you had cleared this with me before you went over there". Everything the 7 do has to be pre-approved by the marketing department and rehearsed beforehand so make sure nobody loses any points or whatever.

For the most part it's all performative.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do love how the plane incident proves Homelander is definitely dumber than Superman, because Superman could've lasered the engines off and just *carried* the plane to safety. That does pose another question - how much can Homelander bench?

(and yes, I'm aware the primary reason he let everyone die was because they knew he hosed up)

Homelander absolutely could have done that but he chose not to. He blows off every suggestion Maeve makes with a flimsy bullshit answer. He wants everyone to die because then when he spins it as a reason to allow supes into the military it hits a lot harder than if it was a hijacking where everyone survived. And he certainly doesn't value their lives because they're like ants to him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Don't airplanes have internal support? I get that the shell is flimsy, but there's got to be a pretty strong structural component. Probably under the wings where the landing gear would be a good spot.

Someone apparently did a deep dive on this question, but with superman.

They determined his best bet would be to lay against the underside of the plane and guide it down to a "safe" belly landing.

I'm not an aerophysicist so I'm OK with being wrong here but the last sentence here is what I was thinking. The only thing destroyed were the cockpit controls. He's Homelander. He can do whatever he wants.

He just didn't want to.

And yeah lasering the controls was an accident. He's an idiot, but he immediately identified it as an opportunity to be a heartless piece of poo poo and to spin it into a win for himself and Vought (mostly himself).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Shame that we've seen him fly. It would be hilarious if his super power was just ludicrously accurate long range jumping.

Yeah at the end of S1E1 he's literally flying horizontally next to the plane that he lasers. He's not pushing off of anything. He can fly. He's lying to Maeve about that because he wants all those people to die so he can spin it as a reason to let supes into the military (and to cover up his mistake and because he sees humans as ants). I really don't understand how anyone can take HL at his word after all the poo poo he's done.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's not what happened at all. The original plan was to stop the terrorists and rescue the hostages and use that as the reason the military should hire them. He realized he couldn't or it would take a lot of work and so he let them die.

This is kinda hair splitting but yeah I agree. He didn't intentionally kill all those people but he certainly didn't want to do anything to save them once he hosed up even though he could have. He didn't care if they died.

quote:

Him spinning the "disaster" as a way to get the military contract was completely improvised.

Yes it was but he figured it out immediately. He's reckless and sloppy in certain ways but he is absolutely not an idiot. He's a consummate opportunist.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 22, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

homelander also killed a child and shot down a plane literally in the first episode for no other reason than "hm this person may have inconvenienced someone I like so I am going to do this"

the tension of homelander is that he both views himself as literally a god but still craves adulation from the public, so he is constantly restraining his impulses driven by the fact that he does not view anyone other than himself and maybe his son as meaningful

also A-Train is probably the least openly evil member of the 7 right now other than Starlight - I don't think we've seen him kill anyone on purpose, only through negligence (and he did feel bad about it)

He killed Popclaw but he wasn't happy about it and he only did it because he knew that if Homelander got to her first he'd kill her in a much worse way. At least with a heroin overdose she could die while high.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jabby posted:

Speaking of, I really don't know why Maeve has gone to Deep for an ally.

All the dude wants is back on the team, and Homelander is a) team leader, b) told him he might get back on the team soon, and c) doesn't care about his sexual assault. Meanwhile Maeve and Starlight quite clearly hate him and probably wouldn't work with him even if he helped them. So what's stopping him shopping her to Homelander in exchange for taking her place?

Homelander was lying

The Deep is an idiot

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

is there any indication that Vought knows Homelander killed Stiwell?

Unless they were monitoring Stillwell's house there's probably no proof, although I guarantee that some of the higher-ups probably suspect him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

loving masterful

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I really want to know what's up with Edgar now. Does he know about SF's intensions for Vought? He said before that Vought isn't a superhero company, it's a pharmaceutical company. Now SF, who I'm guessing has controlling interest in the company due to being married to the now dead founder, is saying it's a super nazi army generator company.

Also, Edgar is clearly not white. I wonder if SF is just using him the way Republicans use people like Ben Carson. If SF actually creates a nazi army would she throw Edgar in an oven or would he be the token "one of the good ones" for PR purposes?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BurritoJustice posted:

The emails on Stormfront computer about Sage Grove were direct from Stan Edgar himself, so he is definitely in on the scheme to purify compound V to be able to be used on Adults. Pharmaceutical company to its core.

Oh yeah it's clear he's in on the secret project but does he know that Stormfront wants to use the results to make a super nazi army instead of whatever Edgar thinks they're going to be used for?

I also also thinking about the church. They're clearly trying to use Deep and A-Train to gain some sort of leverage with Vought but we don't know why yet. They keep telling Deep and A-Train "we'll get you back on the 7" but I don't think they mean the current 7. I think they want to somehow take over Vought and install their own 7 who are all brainwashed cult member supes. Probably gain global influence like in Assassin's Creed or some poo poo.

But Stormfront mentioned the church she used to go to as a kid and how they let "the wrong people" in and that makes me question:

- Was Stormfront talking about the church of the collective? I feel like her mentioning a church isn't a coincidence.

- If she was talking about the church of the collective, there are 2 conflicting options here:
(1) - The current Vought isn't really a secret nazi company, it's a relatively neutral pharma company and none of the top execs have a nazi agenda. That means that the church might be where all the actual nazis went, but that would mean that (2) the current church isn't the same nazi party as it was in the 40s because they're clearly allowing minorities to join. But then again Vought only hires 7 members based on marketing stats so I guess the church could be doing exactly the same thing. Just trying to use a diverse group of supes as pawns to gain money and power.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Some people are. I assume it will be whatever the writers need it to be. It's a publically traded company after all. Personally I'll assume that she has some shares, but doesn't have the majority of them. I trust the show will address it and why Mr Edgar put her on The Seven later.

There's no way she doesn't have controlling interest. Like someone else said, Edgar didn't put her on the 7. She put herself there.

quote:

Why would she wait so long to start trying to manipulate Homelander if she was in charge this whole time?

Stormfront stopped being Liberty because she wanted to spend time with her daughter. After her daughter died she took time to reinvent herself as Stormfront.

Bedshaped posted:

Watching Cobra Kai alongside The Boys and it just dawned on me now that Stillwell is Ali from The Karate Kid.

She's also the babysitter from Adventures in Babysitting. That's right. All those years ago Stillwell sang The Babysittin' Blues.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm definitely worried Maeve's girlfriend is going to get fridged.

I'm honestly surprised she's not already dead after Homelander overheard Maeve's conversation with her and figured out who she was.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Translucent was a scumbag so it wouldn't surprise me if he was lying about all that and the Boys either believed him or didn't call his bluff and try those things anyway.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

TV Homelander is smarter than me because I still don't understand it. Why would he need to be on the ground to exert enough force to slow a plane?

The TV Homelander can straight up fly without needing to push off of anything or stand on anything. They show this at the end of S1E1.

He absolutely could have saved the plane after he accidentally lasered the controls but he doesn't want to. The passengers are worthless ants to him and he immediately figures out that if the plane goes down and everyone dies it will be an even stronger argument for letting supes into the military than if he had just killed the hijackers and saved everyone.

He is lying to Maeve in that scene. He absolutely could guide the plane to a safe landing or individually carry people down to boats in the ocean to save them before the plane crashed but he doesn't want to.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Super tech impenetrable tower doesn't alert anyone that lamplighter is suddenly opening doors in secure areas out of the blue

As someone who is pretty knowledgeable about security, the security holes on this show are honestly really insulting. Sage Grove, a super secret compound full of supe test subjects, had like what, 3 total guards? We saw 1 single guy in the monitor room, the 1 guy who shot Cindy, and I think 1 other guard in that whole episode. And they looked like regular shmo rented security people in a facility where if a lockdown needs to happen they better be trained and prepared to either die or lock down the supes with gas or whatever.

As for Vought Tower, Lamplighter tells Hughie that if his hand scan fails they'll be swarmed with guards with AKs. Then the alarms go off on 42, where the literal Hall of Justice is, and the only people who show up are Black Noir and Maeve. Like all they had to do was show a bunch of armed guards heading toward 42, run into Black Noir, then Noir holds his hand up to tell them to stand down so he can handle this himself. The guards didn't even need to actually show up but they should have been at least shown as existing and trying to do their jobs.

ANYWAY plot holes aside this episode was awesome. The last 2 or 3 episodes haven't quite kept that same sense of dread hanging over me the entire time, but this one brought all of that back. From the way too real opening to the final scene, I was really uncomfortable the whole way through.

The assassin can't be Cindy. It has to be someone from the Church and like others have said I bet it's the L. Ron equivalent.

Also, about Ryan, he'll eventually see that Stormfront and Homelander are also lying to him and turn on them as well. Whether he runs back to Becca or not remains to be seen but there's no way Stormfront and Homelander are going to successfully turn him into their junior nazi super soldier. Ryan may hate Becca for lying to him but Becca instilled enough goodness into him that he won't accept the racism from Stormfront and Homelander.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Given the capability and depravity of the Seven, it makes sense to me that corporate would decline to send witnesses up when a smoke alarm goes off on that particular floor. Ditto the discreet sex-worker/corpse removal elevator.

What's more intriguing to me is whether they jury-rigged a Starlight-proof cell on the fly or if they do their best to make Supe specific cells for all of the talent.

Lamplighter knew about them and he says it's the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Why would Black Noir eat the candy bar and not spit it out? I get that Maeve is super strong and I guess she could just seive it through his teeth or something. But you'd think a supe wouldn't just let someone cram food in their mouth.

She had him in a choke hold. He had to open his mouth to try to breathe. And like someone else said, if the allergy was bad enough just touching his teeth and lips might be enough.

I wonder how Maeve knew about his allergy. And what else she knows.