Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Starks posted:

Overall I thought the first episodes were pretty weak compared to last season but maybe it picks up and that’s why they released the first three at once. It seems like they have no idea what to do with Deep and A-Train but I’ll wait a little longer to judge that part of it. A-Train not ratting Starlight out made no sense imo.

S2 first 3 eps spoilers Obviously part of that was just writing for the benefit of Stormfront "getting" to Starlight and having her be empowered but also corrupted, since that's the Stormfront storyline, but A-Train not ratting her out / caving in to Starlight's new-found confidence made sense to me, since A-Train thinks he's dying from heart failure on some level, and therefore is far more vulnerable mentally than some sociopath like Homelander. And there's also the running theme of "these supes ain't all that smart" running through the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dropping spoilers too.

So do people think Annie was about to kill Hughie before Butcher stepped in? I am genuinely conflicted on what I think was happening in that scene.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

He was silently telling her to do it so HL didn’t murder both of them, that felt pretty clear to me.

But TbH Annie probably would have flashbanged Homie and grabbed hughie like a baby doll and skedaddled

I was rooting for this to happen, but I'm not sure if that was the intent of the series.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

e:I'll just spoiler this just in case. Homelander-Doppelganger conversation:

I also got the impression Doppelganger had been kidnapped / coerced by Homelander into sex slavery. Doppelganger was legit terrified when he was "hurting so much he couldn't keep it up" and still forced himself back into being mommy. And in the last scene it seemed to me like he was flailing wildly, trying to figure out what it was Homelander wanted this time since mommy was making him upset that time around. Playing into Homelander's narcissism wasn't a bad bet per se, but unfortunately he had to inadvertently poke at the specific thing Stormfront had needled Homelander with, and welp.

As to what about Doppelganger escaping, I can't remember if it has been explicitly stated in the show or not, but even in this episode they referenced Starlight being "chipped" for Voight monitoring purposes; if I were running a supe company, the shape-shifter I would chip thrice because god drat. And as to how Homelander would get access to this information, well, we've seen what happens when Black Noir just shows up and stands next to a normie nerd with access to information :v:

Obviously this is neither here or there, unless Doppelganger's death continues to be a plot point going forward, and there's been some good speculation in this thread on how that could come to be!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 12, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the one thing no one really talks about is the way Butcher just "gently caress you, got mine"'d out on the rest of The Boys and did so deliberately when the only one around was MM, who wouldn't try beating his rear end for it.

As noted above, Butcher is a grade-a rear end in a top hat, and I honestly expected Butcher would just farm the intelligence gathering to, I guess Hughie, and take the OG gang with him to bust Voight skulls etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The closest you can get with Homelander's eye lasers is "it's magic, Johnny, forget about it". The viewer has no way of knowing what wavelengths he's releasing the majority of his energy output, it could just be a coincidence that we see a red laser beam in the visible spectrum while he's dumping megawatts of infrared laser to melt someone's skull off, or whatever. And there's no way of knowing what kind of mechanism, biological as it must still be, he has in his eyes that generate the laser effect. As pointed out earlier, there are ways of at least guesstimating what kind of metabolism A-Train must have, since his super power is just 'go fast', but even that's unphysical in many ways, such like his heart giving out as portrayed in the show, and how his bones would pretty much shatter on impact if someone tried running that fast, and so on. As soon as we get to Magneto-level nonsense-powers (as it were) such as controlling electricity (which is both the Nazi woman and Starlight I guess?), there is no sensible way of determining the energy consumption of their powers, since it is so open to interpretation what their powers are actually doing. And the Nazi woman being able to fly doesn't even make sense, if all she can do is make lightning. Obviously for the purposes of the show, 'flying' is a super-power in and of itself, and its mechanism isn't explained at any point, and it doesn't have to be for the purposes of the narrative anyway.

Signed, an actual physicist, don't @ me.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Particle beams are even worse about propagating through an atmosphere, but you're right, that's one possibility!

Azhais posted:

Technically Starlight absorbs electricity to make her light blasts

Which means she should be pretty well suited to fight Stormfront if it comes to that.

Right, but what does "absorb electricity" mean in physical terms? Is she somehow using Ampere's law or something to capture the energy in surrounding electricity, or what? Does she have special glans for doing so? We know the Deep has his gills, so this isn't out of the question, but it isn't specified either, and there's a number of different things she could be doing to influence the electrical appliances near her, and none of Maxwell's equations really can explain what is going on with her light-show power, similarly to Homelander's lasers. I brought up Magneto since his powers are essentially ridiculous on their face as stated, and never really taken to their conclusion. If he's the "master of magnetism", could he manipulate atomic cores? Super powers, for the purposes of this show are just magic and one shouldn't think too hard about them, IMO.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jesus Christ

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Re: Butcher's decision at the end It was foreshadowed multiple times from different angles. Billy says to Becca straight up, maybe even twice?, that he's poison and shouldn't be around kids. And he very pointedly realized the parallels between his own upbringing and Homelander's. Billy trying to raise a supe kid into not being a c-word would be a decent set-up for misery television, sure, but there's just no way there'd be some kind of redemption arc for Butcher becoming a loving daddy.

As for the hook discussion, to echo what was already mentioned, Homelander is definitely even more psychotic now than he ever was. Maeve seemingly put him between the proverbial rock and the hard place, but Homelander probably doesn't respond too well to feeling caged. He can do whatever he wants, right? So there's two options here (at least), either he simmers quietly for a while and then just explodes in not-so-impotent rage, or (preferably) he starts some kind of crazy wheels within wheels scheme to 'liberate' himself. As the thread has discussed previously, Homelander actually is smart as far as supes go, when he wants to be (setting his white genocide face aside, I guess?), so crazy schemes to be the top man again would be interesting to see.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 9, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chalks posted:

I think if you ask the question "when did you realise that she was a nazi" I think you have to be pretty specific you're not talking about the point that you realised that she was literally there in WW2 having dinner with Hitler and instead are talking about her being a neo-nazi/alt-right. As someone who's never read the comics, when she's first introduced I it was possible that her name wasn't actually meant to indicate that, given her powers, it's not until the scene in the building where she's clearly enjoying killing the people there that it became obvious to me. In particular her feminist and anti vought comments early on threw me off and made me think they were taking the character in a different direction.

The reveal that she was actually a literal WW2 nazi was excellent in that in hindsight all the clues were there, but I didn't think it was obvious until it was revealed.

That's fair, but this thread will always have posters who have read the comics (I have), and people who have not posting together. Obvious spoiler rules apply, but some people knew going in. Obviously the show is heavily an adaptation, and not a necessarily direct re-telling. Going into the season, I assumed she would be a racist, but it wasn't necessarily obvious to me that she would've been the original dude from the comic with reversed genders. That said, I put her down as 'obvious neo-nazi troll and scheming' around the ending of ep 2, and not just a chud media personality. Her plotline was very interesting in the show, and I appreciated what they did. I'm not from the US, so I didn't get the Portland clue either, nice. Did know about stormfront the forum since I'm terminally online :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I'm reading through the comic now and think it's a smart move that they threw out the entire idea that the Boys mostly just sit around gathering dirt on superheroes. Not only is it gross (since a lot of supes are just gay and not out), but also because I feel like it's just kind of dumb and uncreative that aloof supes are held in check by such a mechanic. For the world the comic created, I guess it kind of works, but I don't think you could translate that to live action.

Also, wtf is with the way Annie is drawn. At one point Vought marketing guys talk about revamping her character and giving her a boob job. There's literally no room left for implants.

The television adaptation is more... Accessible to people who aren't 14 year old boys (pun unintended). The comic is essentially on a mission to make as much messed up stuff as one can fit on a page, the teevee show at least sort of presents The Boys as relatable characters. They still mess up, and even petit Hughie's real introduction to the viewers / the team is a gruesome murder, but you can't really escape the premise that actually having super heroes would be absolutely awful, and people trying to contain them have to do awful things too. Now, that whale definitely didn't deserve it, but it was still funny. I mean, loving diabolical.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Maeve is also super-strong, but what about the logistics of a human trying to shove a whale into water? If a super-strong person like Homelander or Maeve tried it, wouldn't their hands just pierce the skin anyway, and the whale is screwed regardless? It seems like there'd be a gross scene either way.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Okay, but in a The Boys setting, that'd just be Maeve pulling the tail off of the whale, and having to drink afterwards.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Maybe it was the other way around? Dolphins are absolute bros, after all.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I do appreciate that the showrunners purposefully cut out a lot of 90's cringey "humour" from the comics. And we still got Homelander masturbating his anger away! :haw:

Scratch that, it's 00's cringe. God damnit

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It works perfectly in the faux-Fox News segment, just a vague "many crimes, so bad" blurb in the middle of Not-Tucker's ramble. It doesn't have to be based on any particular news bit, just that Hughie and Butcher have a connection, and bob's your uncle.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

lol at the Homelander chuds who formed a human wall though

That, and the Deep criticizing the unholy love of Fresca. These bits are wonderful, I hope they keep making these.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sirotan posted:

gonna keep posting these tweets until y'all tell me to knock it off

:orb:

"Big Homie Burger" got a sensible chuckle out of me, but I just lost it at the Vought+ ad :allears: These things are amazing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Black Noir's petting zoo :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Has Cameron Coleman interacted with Homelander in the series, or in any of these not-Fox-segments? I can't decide which would be funnier, that his effusive... Appreciation of Homelander was his genuine opinion, or that he's putting on a cynical show and knows that Homelander is unhinged.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I was going to come here to discuss Diabolical, but dang :stare:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

So how’s this bad looking cartoon?

I really liked it! I don't want to post a huge wall of text behind spoilers though, maybe after more people have watched it? :ohdear:

Re: bad looking: Every episode is done in (mimicking?) a different animation style.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

From that interview that helpfully wasn't linked, we also learn the schedule (possibly?):

quote:

The [trailer] comes ahead of the season premiere on June 3, with the first three episodes dropping then before the remaining five launch each Friday after the premiere.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvEcx9SteqU

I hate her.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Because he likes calling him a fat piece of poo poo and making him cry. Homelander thinks (and is afawk) utterly invincible, no one is a threat to him. He doesn’t kill Starlight even though he knows she was plotting to kill him, because he doesn’t care because he thinks it's impossible.

Also the fact that despite the abuse, A train still turned around and betrayed the team shows HL he still knows which side his bread is buttered on.

Homelander isn’t a supe supremacist he's a him supremacist. He doesn’t care if people have disabilities, he thinks everyone but him is disabled. He's not bigoted against anyone for any identity reason, he's bigoted against everyone because he's superior to every person on the planet. I think how firmly he believes all that is the major source of his insecurity

In a way Homelander is a tragic character, he really really wants people to interact with him, but because everyone is scared shitless by him (as they well should, he's a homicidal weirdo) he has to either play these silly mind games or feel even more isolated. In theory he's someone who shouldn't be afraid of consequences, since what sort of consequences any of his actions can possibly have, but since he has to deal with other people, there are emotional consequences and he doesn't understand how dealing with those work.

There's plenty of parallels between him and Butcher, who likes to act like there are no consequences, but we are repeatedly shown how sick and tired everyone is of Billy's constant bullshit.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you try to apply physics to super hero stories you're just gonna bake your brain.

What always drives me crazy is any kind of gag where the superhero bends the barrel of the gun or breaks it in half while the crook is still holding it requires the crook to be basically just as strong so it doesn't just get wrenched out of his hands.

None of the super powers we've seen really make physical sense. The guy who was selling his body out for weirdos to mutilate him, but then he'd get better, would require an insane metabolism. Homelander's eye laser beam is just ridiculous. The Deep can hear sea life, which in the real world is mostly not very... Conversant. And while some of the flying stuff looks cool, it doesn't really work either, how are they propelling themselves? I guess Stormfront used her Sith force lightning stuff to do ????.

Maybe Maeve makes the most sense? She's just very, very strong and agile. But she can apparently jump for miles, which is again all sorts of bonkers if we think about things like bones etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Hughie is standing infront of a big wall, A-train tries to run through him but he teleports and A-train slams into the wall leaving a big a-train shaped splatter

Hughie is standing in front of a giant whale, A-train tries to run at him but Hughie teleports and A-train and the whale explode into gore, somehow.

The Deep sees the whole thing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Paul Reiser will be The Legend

That's certainly a choice

tokin opposition posted:

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?

Dick Cheney technically wasn't head of state

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 16, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The congressional hearing head-popping scene had people running around, screaming in a wild panic, while Homelander just looks around sort of amused and confused. :shrug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

....but that dude had superpowers.

Yes, but he was inconvenient to Homelander at that very second, and he was useful in proving a point to Ashley. So, you know, ideology found on floor, child reprimanded, it's all about Number One.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

massive spider posted:

I assumed he lied to him because they’ve already done 3+ doses so he assumes they’re both dead men walking now. And he’d just had the flashback of feeling responsible for his little brothers death so he couldn’t stomach breaking it to him.

I mean the angle that it’s pure manipulation is still there but it seems ambiguous.

Billy Butcher just isn't a good guy. That he couldn't tell Hughie that they're basically ingesting poison every time they go on a power trip means he values the power trip more than Hughie as a person. It's arguable how unable Billy is to cope with telling people about his feelings to people he cares about, but the lesson of the story seems to be that he's pretty drat toxic to everyone around him. Frenchie and MM seem to realize this and keep an arm's length, but Hughie doesn't, and he gets sucked into this madness with dosing themselves to make them supes for a day. Which the show already acknowledged was a total hypocrisy on their part, especially Billy since he basically wants to exterminate all supes, but he's an ends justify the means kind of guy. And that is bad news for anyone around him.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

massive spider posted:

Butcher isn’t a good guy but I think his motivations are a bit more complex than just liking the power and sacrificing Hughie for it. There’s not really much point in telling him if they’re already dying and there’s nothing that can be done about it.

Yeah, Billy probably actually cares about Hughie at this point, but he can't meaningfully act on it. Instead he chooses to do a selfish thing. If Hughie knew he were dying, he might want to have a talk with Starlight about it, just as a closure thing.

My point was that Billy chooses the selfish option, not having an awkward conversation, not confronting the fact that they are doing harmful drugs, because he is unable to interact with people in his life. His reasons, or motivations, for it may be complicated, but the fundamental point is that Billy Butcher plain hurts people near him. These are choices he makes.

Whether the show "pays this off" with some kind of horror story for Hughie, probably not in the sense of his literal death, but both of them have to come to grips with taking something that will, according to Vought, kill them if they don't stop. Right now, Billy isn't helping with this, at all.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SpeakSlow posted:

So, if we're drawing real-world parallels here between The Boys and our world, superpowers == access to obscene piles of cash, right?

We're basically watching millionaires fight.

That's Succession, which has interesting parallels. The kids in the show, of super-rich totally not Rupert Murdoch, born into wealth all have different dysfunctions and can't really deal with people other than through weird power moves, mostly through money or sexual abuse, and the people not born into wealth who are drawn into their orbits develop their own dysfunctions because it's a really messed up reality they live in.

Characters like Homelander basically never had a chance, and while Butcher really was ready to straight up beat Ryan to death, eventually the characters in the show try to give him a "normal" childhood even outside the Stepford Wives alternate world town, because you have to deal with people to be able to relate to them. And now we're seeing the inverse with Billy and Hughie losing their grip on humanity because they can straight up mulch people by punching them.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Maeve landed on Soldier Boy and his big, manly supe body only gave her several broken ribs and stuff, bing bing bong so simple!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No, their team has been on point.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The male prostitutes scene is in season 2 episode 9.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xealot posted:

The ending to the show is unfortunately stupid as hell, though, I agree. Stephen Root's excited, "it's happening!!" was infuriating. What's happening? I mean, I guess NaziWorld is being invaded by multiversal variants of people who died there, but why? To what end? Why does this matter? I do think the stuff with Smith and his wife in the last season was pretty great, though.

Man in the High Castle spoilers While the show has little in common with the original book other than the alt-history setting and the names of some of the principal characters, there's a certain kind of symmetry here that I find amusing, though I do not think the show runners had it in mind. The book ends with Juliana meeting Hawthorne, and together they discover that the Grasshopper is true, i.e. it is a story of the real events, and (potentially) the reality depicted in The Man in the High Castle isn't real. So nothing really matters. Whereas in the show, the multiverse being real seems to very much matter, as if all realities are equally real.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The show is best when it's about the villains. I think season 1 has some important stuff for John Smith (the American Naziman), if you can bother skipping around.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I guess Tagomi doesn't count as a villain, but John Smith and Kido are undeniably monsters. Just complex ones, which makes them interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just show him The Mist. The CGI monsters and stuff are kinda mundane and probably haven't aged all that well either, but the ending is pure :discourse: psychological hosed-up-ness