Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know what show we're talking about here, but I kinda hope they keep with the whole "Stormfront is a Neo-Nazi hiding in plain sight" thing and don't go over the top and have her have a memorabilia fetish room and an American History X-style swastika tattoo somewhere on her.

Of course, probably *both* of those things and more will happen, but still, it's a more powerful metaphor with her playing the "snarky liberal feminist virtue signaler who's secretly a minority-killing Nazi" character.

You what? Her whole speech lambasting Girls Get It Done, her whole "what does it matter what parts we have (hello, cisnormativity)" speech, her calling other little girls "sluts" for dressing like Disney Princesses?

Considering her comic origins, and this show's trend of being ripped from the headlines, she's definitely a 21st century alt righter:

Ostensibly fed up with corporate sloganeering, rebelling against a neutered media sphere, "saying what everyone's afraid to"—all as a smokescreen for her goal of pushing the Overton window to her point of view.

She, in-text, vocally hates virtue signaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Mr. Dude Weed LMAO wanna start poo poo

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Apoligies for bringing it back to Stormfront (like... her character is total cspam/goon bait lbr), but here's an article on Entertainment Weekly about her. Turns out the showrunners are as extremely online as y'all.

quote:

But then the writers room took further inspiration from alt-right trolls on social media and platforms like Reddit. For better or worse, they all fell down "a lot of white supremacist rabbit holes," which Kripke called "horrific."

"So many of them are couched in new media, specifically reaching out to young people and gamers," he says. "The videos are like these cute girls who are saying the most hateful sh— but they are young and their noses are pierced. ‘Be a free thinker!’ They put on a new set of clothes but it’s the same hateful sh— that people have been saying for a thousand years... We wanted to recreate that experience for the audience, that the monsters are not wearing 1960s crewcuts. They are attractive and they’re savvy and you have to be aware of that."

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or a hermaphrodite because WHY NOT?

yeah hi don't say this

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

like 40% of comments about sf are "what do you mean she's a nazi all she did was murder a whole building of black people with a sneer of utter contempt on her face. and the slur she spat into an asian man's face while she reveled in his suffering wasn't even that bad"

why is everyone so god drat bad at spotting racists

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

what does him lasering her tits in a horny way mean, in this metaphor

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, the goofy thing is that some sites that ran a piece on it still say 'enter to win one of twelve pairs' but only show eleven pairs, with the last pair on a completely blank background.

For anyone curious, here's what the Stormfront ones looked like

i think they made these with actual knowledge of kimiko from season 1, and only teasers of stormfront.

you can tell because sf's shoe doesn't have any of her insignia besides an eagle shield, and also it's purple and orange (which i guess makes sense if you're going off, like, a promo jpeg).

kimiko's is way more considered, even from a glance—the origami, the blood splatter. there's a little symbolism there, i guess as much as you can get from like... instagram boutique giveaway fandomwear.

they probably put the pic out to ride the hype and yanked it when episode 3 dropped

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

now if you wanna see real nerd sneakers there's the multiple NGE collabs

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Swollen Member posted:

Dude. I get not liking Trump, but spreading this kind of 4chan BS is not helping anyone. If you want to go after Trump, stick to the facts.

:what:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

As a reminder of how stupid or how much bad faith people post with

did he screencap his own flop instagram post (with an identical empty comment) and repost it to his twitter. what kind of unimaginably sad six piece chicken mcnobody

e: "villain", huh

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Swollen Member posted:

White supremacists are stupid, I agree. I still don't see how this is of any use against Trump, sorry.

If you don't like him and you want to combat him somehow, maybe grab onto some of his widely documented and provable crimes. Selling Trump as racist is very hard to do when there's video out there of civil rights leaders standing in line to press his hand for his support of the black community. That dog don't hunt.

If you want to oppose Trump, stop wasting your time on all this lame mediabait and focus on his actual crimes. Sitting at home knitting an Antifa scarf ain't gonna do poo poo.

(As you can probably tell, I'm not an american)

i can also tell you should probably stop posting about this

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Swollen Member posted:

Do you guys actually want me to step back in this loving mess? After being warned off?

OK then, let me take your obvious bait. Shutting the teaching of marxist critical race theory down - struggle sessions and all - in us.gov does not in any way, shape, or form constitute racism. On the contrary, it is long overdue common sense. IMO, YMMV.

Now back to The Boys. If it's not too much.

:ok:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

I need a Fresca now tbh

i'm having visions of watch parties organized by 30somethings with frescas, milk, pancakes and garbage puns on everything

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Starks posted:

Lol wait what part of Japan is Kimiko from that they have AK wielding terrorists

the part with the extralegal paramilitaries

also, a lot of people telling on themselves by tying sf more to feminism than fash. makes you wonder if they've got a grudge

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I must have missed that line too. And I didn't put 2 & 2 together with the sharks - I thought they were torpedos. :lol: gently caress.

Also, the new Homelander kid doesn't look anything like him unlike the first. And seems kinda dopey.

A shame they couldn't get him back. Maybe he grew up too much. I remembered him getting the eye glowies in S1 but I was like, maybe he didn't inherit all the powers and he really killed him which would have been kinda funny. Homelander is such a prick ... but gently caress he sells the dark humour really well. Antony Starr is a loving beast.

why you gotta roast this child

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Bioshuffle posted:

IMHO, Stormfront being racist is not as cut and dry as people want to believe. Upon a rewatch and a frame by frame, it's pretty clear to me the reason she kills the family is because the father stands in her way. Once he dies, she obviously has to kill the witnesses. I'm not saying what she did was right by any stretch of the definition. There's no denying she is evil and reckless, but I didn't get any racist vibes from her. Let's not forget that the person who invited her into the Seven and is her boss is a POC. Why would a racist agree to work for a POC? It obviously doesn't add up. Not to mention she's working alongside two POC and she has had no negative interactions with them at all. Also, let's not overlook the fact about the ethnicity of the actress portraying her. Even though it's 2020, there's no way any casting director who cares about their job would cast a Jewish person to portray a Nazi. Obviously you're welcome to speculate, but I'm not seeing the racist narrative. At all.

She's by far my favorite superhero we've seen in the series, especially as she's seemingly the only one who isn't afraid of Homelander. Can't wait to see where the character goes.

this you? (re: the elderly man police beat down a few months back)

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there any evidence he was suffering from dementia? Even if his intentions were in the right place, most people would have known better than to walk right up to a line of riot police decked out in full military gear. The dementia theory seems to line up with his actions of walking up to them and gesturing with his cell phone like he was having a nice leisurely talk at a cafe or something.

I can at least understand the initial push, but the real infuriating part is the way the police officer prevented the other officer from checking up on him. It's not as if they were facing an actual riot- there was literally no reason they couldn't have stopped to check on him. If this incident hadn't been on film, they would have just chalked it up to someone tripping and moved on. Cell phone cameras have definitely been a game changer in dealing with police abuse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Bioshuffle posted:

Not sure why people are suddenly claiming she is the second coming of Hitler. Not everything has to be motivated by some political agenda. Sometimes, characters are evil just for the sake of being evil. :shrug: When politics gets forcefully infused into a show just for the sake of being relevant and appealing to the woke crowd, terrible things happen. Need I remind you of the poo poo storm that was the Watchmen TV series?

It's really interesting to see people get so upset when others don't share their viewpoint. I can't imagine what the Sopranos thread must have been like during the series finale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

... Anyway stan Kimiko

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

there's a lot of jokes in the boys i imagine had the 30-40somethings in the writers room rolling but my face does not move when i hear them. they're like vaguely joke-shaped noises and sequences of light

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

moist turtleneck posted:

lol this one is actually extremely alt-right racist poo poo so I guess we can put that to rest

i don't think the boys' writers are deep enough to know about clown world memes. i think it's just from seeing teen non-alt-right kpoppies use non-alt-right clown memes. like it's literally ubiquitous to call people you don't like Clowns now

i know you're getting like a frisson of joy from thinking these guys are as deep as we are, but i'd curb my enthusiasm

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

i'm also gauging their savviness based on the absolute lameness of most of this show's memes. like I get that tv is a year behind IRL but they're just. so lame

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I'll believe it when I see a Pretty Princess Points reference

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Aces High posted:

I thought the memes were supposed to be bad, I took it as Homelander only now discovering them and just getting mad that he was getting mocked at all

i think it's tryna make memes everyone can understand

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Butterfingers suck

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Do you think the Liberty twist is like ... Too Cool To Be True or something. Like is that too contrived for you? In this show?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Bioshuffle posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the goons in this thread start claiming Homelander and Doppleganger are the same character because they're portrayed by the same actor. Why even bother watching the show if they already have all the puzzle pieces figured out? It's baffling. To say the least.

There is absolutely no evidence in the show that they are the same, outside one sentence which could be interpreted a million different ways, and an accusation from someone who had one encounter, in the dark literally decades before the present. Don't forget that during the incident where Liberty kills the brother, she is wearing a hoodie, in the dark, and the girl is inside the car. That's outside the fact that witness testimony is notoriously unreliable. I'm going to bookmark this page so I can see how they backpedal when it turns out the whole thing was a red herring.

so like, are you unbothered and just Putting This Out There or fantasizing about owning the non-believers

these contrarian vibes are so 2005

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Dracula Factory posted:

I loved this episode because at the end of it all it was a bunch of little character stories but watching it I was expecting HL or Black Noir to show up at any second and ruin everything and it added a ton of tension.

it's like a horror movie with superheroes for slashers

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

kimiko? cool
frenchie? aight
kimchie? cursed

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Starks posted:

I can’t wait for amazon to add in unskippable commercial breaks and for people here to be like “what, you can’t go without watching the show for two minutes? Go pee or something, Loser!”

you might be taking this too personally

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

piL posted:

I dont get this reference. Who is Dennis?

guy with no facial hair who isn't danny devito from its always sunny. anyway you know what bugs me? starlights' star decals could use some extra adhesive

if the costume department don't get some extra gorilla glue on them taupe chunky heel thigh high boots i swear to God

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, we live in a society where half the time when a man tells a woman she looks good without all her make up while she’s actually still wearing makeup designed to not look like she’s wearing makeup. I think women would have an easier time picking starlight or Maeve out in their civies but a 10 minute walk around a college campus like UPenn or Drexel in the springtime and you’ll see 50 women who look exactly like her, and I wouldn’t be able to tell any ten of them apart.

not to mention that crunchy ramen wig

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

This feels weird because the implication here is that non-supes cannot ever truly consent to sex or intimacy with supes, something Hughie/Starlight as well as Maeve’s relationship seem to effectively demonstrate... uh no you can totally consent, you’re both adults, even if one of you can bench press a humvee.

This feels too close to “women cannot consent to sex because men are all bigger and stronger than women anyway!” for me, if I’m misinterpreting your point I apologize.

men ~= women
starlight >>>> hughie
homelander >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone

Bust Rodd posted:

This honestly feels intentionally vague to me, especially in, like, the same episode where Butcher tells her where the gang is hiding. My instincts tell me this might not be so cut & dry but maybe that’s because I don’t want crime dramas so sexual assault plot lines are new to me.

don't do this man there are people who love you

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

men & women? fine........ anyone who says there's an untenable power differential is either a troll or a crank
starlight & hughie? she's powerful but she also has, like, ethics and an understanding of humanity
homie? a gene freak god--made in the USA with the moral compass to match. hosed as a person and nuclear as a being

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

DogsInSpace! posted:

Watching the first ep of Season 2 again. "Sympathy for the Devil" is a cool song but I just feel a bit overdone with TV and movies. At least the Rolling Stones version. Janes Addiction did a version on their 80s album XXX. Use that or some custom cover.

we need at least a 5 year moratorium on rolling stones needle drops. excluding the infected mushroom remixes

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Another Bill posted:

Living in Toronto, this show is incredible fun to watch. I worked for years with Roy Thomson Hall / Vaught HQ across the courtyard from my office. I spent most of my youth in Kensington Market / Chinatown that is featured prominently. I went on dates with my wife at the pub where Hughie takes Starlight. My doctors office is above the subway station where they filmed the tunnel scene season 1. My optometrist is in the background of the scene where Mesmer spies Butcher in the mall. I could go on.

It's just such a loving hoot.

isn't basically every us show like this for torontonians

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

i want a ben garrison parody drawing of stormfront now

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Tenzarin posted:

Super boring episode, they have the super heroes act in all their movies also? That's pretty lame.

it's a parallel to the in-universe tie-in comic books in the comic, for modern mass audiences who don't read comics as much as they watch comic book movies

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

loving pastiche

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

that is, in fact, a whole stickman. ur point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

I was watching this with friends and one of them pointed out that maybe the muscle suit is diegetic, since Homelander is so strong he would have no opportunity to exercise.

the onus is now on you to inspect the frames of his naked legs and see if they match his suit's musculature

for research