Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Homelander actually has a nuclear reactor where his heart stomach should be. Which is why he pisses heavy water and shits radium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

DogsInSpace! posted:

No idea where Stormfront is headed... I mean we know some things and she doesn't seem stupid enough to push HL but Homie is not exactly known for restraint. Something has got to take Homelander down a peg as he just seems way too close to saying "gently caress the normals - we are your new Gods". Stormfront might be Edgar's attempt. edit: Outing Stormfront as a literal Nazi might hurt that control Edgar was going to put in place.

I'm really wondering what Edgar's motive was to put her in the seven. Is she just supposed to muddy the waters? Maybe undermine Homelander?
Also, how the heck does no one know who she is if she's 70+ years old? Did they stuff her in a bunker somewhere for 50 years? You'd think more people would recognize her.

I was sure he was going to push his son from a high place, and boy did he deliver :allears:

Zaphod42 posted:

They linger on him being completely still and the mom running out and screaming "he's not breathing!" just long enough that you're like HOLY gently caress

Yeah that was a good scene. It's also possible that he did die and just regenerated.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Butcher wasn't wrong when he said they'll never let the kid go. Still an rear end in a top hat though.

spacetoaster posted:

If she's really the ORIGINAL super who was working with Mr. Vought she might have some kind of controlling share of the company.

I suppose it's possible that it wasn't Edgar's call. Still doesn't tell us why she's there. Just shifts the responsibility.

Part of me is curious to know more, part of me really really hopes she doesn't survive the season.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

He should get a gecko® penis.

Gecko has no imagination, he could be selling organs instead of that weird fetish/cannibalism stuff.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't get the feeling they were only going after JL. I think it was a mockery of the entire Blockbuster Superhero genre.

eSporks posted:

Big pharma won't let him.

:arghfist::tinfoil:

Tenzarin posted:

Super boring episode, they have the super heroes act in all their movies also? That's pretty lame.

The "heroes" in the show are just jackasses in costumes. Why wouldn't they feature in some PR movie?

itry fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 18, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

AtraMorS posted:

I'm not going to rewatch it right now, but I bet that the kid's toy in the early episode was a Vought-branded product. In which case, he wasn't interacting with the child; he was loving advertising.

Looks like a generic bunny/teddy monstrosity.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I bet Starr loved every minute of that scene :allears:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Panfilo posted:

I got a question about costume design. What do they call it when they give a costume a 'texture' by having tiny repeating patterns all over it?

First time I noticed it was the Raimi Spider Man movies, then you saw something similar in the more recent Superman movies. In the Star Trek reboot they took the old style uniforms and had tiny starfleet patterns all over it.

In some cases, the pattern is some shape in a raised relief, sometimes it's just a simple pattern to emulate fabric while other times it's more intracate. For instance Homelander's costume has little eagles over it, similar to the repeating 's' symbols on superman'.

Homelander's might be some kind of Bargello? :shrug:

Cavill's superman is something else.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Orange Carlisle posted:

Homelander's suit is dirty unlike the rest of the team's costumes and we've seen scenes of him refusing to take off his suit

I guess what I'm asking is are we also to assume compound V also prevents body odor because he has to be extremely dirty by now having not taken a shower in years

Or is his suit meant to allow him to shower in it nevernude style and it just air dries

Have we seen any of the supes in the shower? Makes you think.

ptkfvk posted:

how many people do you think HL knows the lasers wont just chop in half? he so overpowers all the other supes its probably uncommon that he cant just toast some guys nuts with the lasers.

It's not exactly something you can test on your co-workers.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Homelander is wearing a stillsuit- is HL a Fremen?? Really blue eyes, stillsuit, haven't seen him take a shower yet...

[Dune snipe]

:hmmyes:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

More of a dramedy. Or absurdist fiction.

(Spoilers) Final scene of the movie is very chilling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y52fmhZGPE

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe she was a Vought pet project. Maybe even his daughter. She's old enough for that.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

seaborgium posted:

I was thinking one of the original test subjects in the camps that they somehow managed to brainwash or something like that, but that seems weird and off.

I hope not.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

My theory is that she was given the 1.0 version of V and it gives you next level powers and longer life (and maybe you develop new powers as you age?)

Maybe Vought figured out that really really powerful supes were too hard to control, and that "weaker" supes would still make them just as much money, so they switched to dosing babies with a weaker V 2.0.

And after the Nazi founder of Vought died, the scientists who took over for him started messing around with the more powerful 1.0 version, making Homelander, before realizing that it was a bad idea.

(If true it means Homelander could live for a very long time and get even more powers which would be even more terrifying.)

Edgar saying "We're not a superhero company. We're a pharmaceutical company." makes me think that the supes are just lab rats and someone somewhere is/was supposed to benefit from some V infusion. So older V being stronger doesn't really make sense. They'll be trying to improve on the formula.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's not that A-Train couldn't get away with being a junkie or murdering people. He could. He just stopped being useful.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The most frightening thing was his mouth. Antony Starr really knows how to mouth act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2jYuv5hhf4&t=10s

Relishing the feeling of giving in to a base desire. And then immediately taken aback. Even for him that's a little bit too much (for now).

jabby posted:

Did anyone else notice when Doppleganger became Homelander he was still a fair bit shorter than the real one? Thought that was a nice nod towards realism despite the universe, he can take someone's appearance but he can't generate mass out of nowhere.

That was some drat good acting. The sheer open-mouthed joy during the lasering followed immediately by the terrified-child look when he realises what he's done.

I think it was just because Homelander was in boots and Dopey was barefoot. It's good continuity (or w/e) work.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 23, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Do we know for a fact Homelander just sped Butcher and the baby? He might have just lasered the line between the trigger and the bomb, knocked Butcher out, and triggered the bomb himself afterwards to cover up what he did. The rest's editing.

edit: (what he did to Stillwell)

itry fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 23, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

iirc there was a new report saying there was an explosion at Stillwell's house. So unless he did what you said then want back and set it off, that seems unlikely.

Homelander force: I ain't gotta explain poo poo

It's likelier than him just stripping Butcher of a bomb vest in a faster than light speed, is all I'm saying.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ynohtna posted:

Oh, c'mon now, be fair. Who here hasn't had a bad day and lasered a large crowd into smoking carcasses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2jYuv5hhf4

e: the post-lase glowing eyes and concerned eyebrow bit is giving me strong Dr Manhattan vibes for some reason.

I like how the "Homelander NOT a HeRO!" sign gets cut in half. That's a nice touch by the CGI department.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

etalian posted:

The whole Marvel movie parody episode had so many hilarious gags:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj6wKp1CPfQ

Like in the above how A-Train was giving his cheesy movie retirement speech to a stunt double but you don't realize till the end of the speech.

It's a very Homelander move to not bother with nonsense like that. He has better things to do. Like drinking breast milk.

Edit:

As Nero Danced posted:

This reminds me of a question of mine from season 1 that seems a bit unimportant overall. When we first meet Starlight, there is a short shot of her doing a drug test. At the time it's reasonable to think they're testing her for drugs. I wonder now if they were really testing how much compound v she had, and if they were seeing if she was a good fit for the top tier.

Ashley mentioned a "morality clause" that they all have in their contracts. So they really do care if they take drugs or not. From a PR perspective.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 24, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just like to point out Stormfront "told Homelander the truth" because he already saw it in that chest. She's still playing him. But maybe Homelander isn't buying it anymore.

Also Homelander stewing in that trailer staring at a reminder of his fragility and having second thoughts was pretty sad.

Cindy seems to be pretty durable, but she also got knocked out very easily (for a supe). Also that crushing head thing isn't going to work on most supes in the 7.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So apparently a spin off series is in the works?
https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-boys-spinoff-fast-track-development-amazon-record-season-2-launch-ratings-1234584256/

Can't say that description really grabbed me, but I guess we'll see.

Another high school anime type of show. Hard pass.

Supreme Allah posted:

Why was Kimiko so happy to see Starlight? Did she remember her as the one who saved them at end of Season 1, or did they have another interaction I'm forgetting

When Stormfront was showing those pics I really thought she was going to say 'that's my daughter... your mother'

Maybe it's because she isn't the only woman around anymore.

Panfilo posted:

You think they seriously are going to dress Shockwave up as A Train or were they just loving with him?

Well they can't call him B-Train :v:

GimpInBlack posted:

I feel like it was already at some point recently, but I might be misremembering.

Unrelated, but it's kind of funny that the specific details of the Stormfront Nazi reveal turned the Pippi Longstocking comment from a clever hint into an anachronism: Pippi Longstocking was first published in 1945, so if Stormfront was a married adult in Nazi Germany, it seems unlikely she'd be dressing up as Pippi or getting teased about it by "girls dressed as Disney Princess sluts."

She most likely dressed her kid as that.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

DogsInSpace! posted:

My exact face.

Agreed but he's not going anywhere. I hate keep adding to the pile of Bio posts but, if it makes you feel any better, your gift a few pages back is perfect

This is people like him talking to people like us. They say shite to get us mad and smugly quip "oh I'm sorry you were offended" and hope we get madder. We explode and they can point out how people like us really are the real problem and he is the cool guy just asking questions. They play it cool for a little while and then back to mind games. Not unique nor few in number. Funny thing is... they can't get off unless we engage them. They need us to get mad and pay attention to them so they feel powerful. We got friends and family because we we don't obsessively puppet master everyone around us and cynically wonder what we can gain. Nazi trolls are alone, we ain't. See them for who they are, call them out on their poo poo but don't let it hit you inside. Enough about online Nazis and on to show Nazis. Let's talk about how great that last episode was....

Non spoilers for guys yet to watch. Really liked the Kimiko and Frenchie payoff. Hoping it can go forward with being mates and avoiding any more cringe. Please no romance. Just please. Really, really like the flashbacks to Mallory's Boys. The old Mallory was a great insight to where Butcher gets some of his mannerisms which made me feel more conflicted about Butcher. Season 1 I had my mind made up about the guy: Butcher was a psycho getting off on all of it and playing everyone. Almost as bad as Homelander. This season made me see small bits of humanity in him and now I want those part to win. Good writing complimenting the always superb Karl Urban. Makes the show far more engaging. Funny enough this worked even better with A-Train. All the scenes with Homelander and Stormfront (especially Stormfront) really have me hoping he makes it. Starr kills it every time he is on screen but the entire casting of this show is solid. Even Cash playing Stormfront is good as she is so spot on at capturing the modern Nazi that I hate her. Still think she isn't going to be around much longer. I see her overplaying her hand and Homelander being Homelander. Still, the metaphor going on is hilariously on point and very much capturing the proper Zeitgeist. I wonder about the Church being the next season's big bad. They picked another good veteran actor for the head of the church and just don't see them wasting him. The Deep is such a twit and perfect in as a tool for a church to use. "Everyone loves a comeback!"

Love Sausage?!? Now I want to read the comics. The whole Asylum scene was good. MM's look after realizing what grabbed him was so hilarious I can't wait till MT makes a gif of it. Lamplighter was interesting and want to see how it goes from here. I know the supes do horrible things in the show but it is nice to see them act human. Makes the monsters more monstrous when not everyone can murder a bunch of people and pretend it's just Tuesday.

Still don't think Starlight is exactly a villain now or going hard. She was raised in this closed Southern American Churchlife and didn't even have a kiss till what? 20? They tried to force her to be this lie of what a hero was supposed to be. She gets in the 7 and finds out it's all bollocks and still tries to do what a hero would do and they almost yell at her for it until it becomes something they can use for PR purposes. She gets brought up as she's special and God chose you then finds out: nope, your mom made a deal with Big Pharma to use you as a guinea pig. Her choices are to keep going with the literal evil supercorp that houses monsters and rapists, experiments on children and profits off the misery of others or fight it and she chooses to fight it the right way. It doesn't do more than cause a little bad press that is quickly swayed into yesterday's bad news and handled. A counselor once said to me, in a very similar moment, that I was "unmoored". Starlight feels used and is "unmoored". She's trying to find who she is after a lifetime of following orders and doing what others told her was right. I think her killing that guy was accidental and some of what she says to Butcher is bluster or what she is telling herself to make it through that moment, but we've seen her before trying to help and save people. She wants to find her new home as she is lost. Earlier she told Butcher she didn't really care what he thought but, if you truly don't care what people think you don't get emotional about it or even talk about it. You just don't say much and avoid. I think that is partly why both Butcher and her like Hughie so much. He's genuinely nice. He's not passive like his dad and can fight or even kill but he knows who he is, fights to help yet remains a guy who wants to do the right thing. I think Starlight and Butcher see a bit of who they'd like to be, even if Butcher will never admit it.

I think I love you

I think you can still be angry with someone even if you aren't personally invested in their opinions. She probably should've just grabbed the pistol, but I think she was trying to get Hughie stabilized as fast as possible and wasn't really thinking. Just reacting.
Also the guy wasn't dead, but he was probably not going to live for long bleeding from his head in the middle of nowhere.

PostNouveau posted:

Anthony Starr is so good that I felt growing anxiety about the wellbeing of his scene partner, a bouquet of roses.

:hmmyes:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One thing is bugging me - before the revelation of compound V, how did Vought explain to the world that every single supe worked for them?

The obvious answer of course, is "It's just a show; I should really just relax".

Money? American exceptionalism? Probably the second one.

Edit: They might have even mentioned that in passing in season 1.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The first that didn't die a horrible death (probably). Same goes for Stormfront.

Edit: How hosed up is that. Her husband basically exprimented on her just like he did to the people in the Dachau (?) concentration camp. And she calls it a blessing.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 25, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Isn't Frenchie supposed to be Algerian?

Edit: thread's moving fast

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Something tells me that if Homelander ever finds his birth parents he'll kill them on sight for letting him go through his awful childhood.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

She got into the passenger seat. She's not a monster. :v:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think it was a deleted S1 scene.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They better not kill Maeve :colbert:

davidspackage posted:

Anyone have a link to this, or can you find it on Prime? I'm already imagining Starr's expressions.

The only thing I can find about it is a quote from Eric Kripke:

Eric Kripke posted:

"There was ONE SCENE that Amazon said gently caress NO, you have to cut," Kripke wrote when asked what scene was cut that he wish had stayed in. "I couldn't quite understand why considering everything else we have in the show, but: Homelander, after being dressed down by Stilwell in episode 2, was standing on one of the Chrysler building Eagles. He pulled his pants down and started jerking off, mumbling 'I can do whatever I want' over and over again until he climaxed all over New York City. We shot it! Oh my God, Anthony was the BEST in that scene. Amazon seemed to think it wasn't necessary. I thought it told me something about his psyche. To be clear, they've been great, that may have been the ONLY fight I lost in Season 1."

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Best part of the episode was the cut to black on Starlight and then Maeve suddenly showing up. Downright heroic.

Also to be brought down by a nut allergy is very on-brand for Black Noir. Also his epi pen had a Vought logo on it. A corporate stooge all the way through.

Dracula Factory posted:

I bet the cult is behind the headsplosions, and I really hope it's the fly that's been on camera doing some crazy ant-man stuff to kill everyone. Edgar not being at the hearing does seem important though, so he might be a secret supe.

Yeah, either the cult or Edgar himself. If it's Cindy I'll be all kinds of pissed off because it would make no sense.

Edit:

RVT posted:

The head popper is definitely not Cindy. Like someone said upthread, she was still in lockdown for the first one. Plus, the way she makes people explode has been consistently different then the way head popper does. No idea who head popper actually is, it's just definitely not her.

Something I couldn't understand. So, step one for Stormfront's is to get HL on board for the coming culture/race war she wants to start. Step two of that plan is making various moves that result in the creation of a bunch more supes, to provide an army that she believes is necessary for that war.

(1) Once she has HL on board, why exactly do they need anyone else? As he's said himself - he's functionally a god. There are no weapons on Earth that can hurt him, and he can laser down humans a football field at a time, as fast as he can fly, which of course is insanely fast.

(2) Why would HL further a plan to create any more supes? Isn't the birth or creation of a supe with powers even stronger than his the lone threat to his godhood?

HL is an amoral psychopath. It would seem like day one of becoming HL would be killing everyone with any ability to create any more supes. This would include everyone at Vought and any other company that might be working towards it, as well as all other currently existing supes, now that we know supes can make more supes. At that point you've ensured your godhood remains unchallenged until you die of old age, assuming he ages.

Now, I get why HL doesn't immediately murder all of Vought and all the other supes. That would be a very different and less fun show. But to see him sign onto a plan that is basically the only thing he can actively do against his own self-interest was really hard to understand.

I don't think either of them thought it through. Homelander doesn't care about any race theory, he just doesn't want to be alone. Stormfront just assumes everyone with superpowers will be on her side once (stable) V is mass-produced.

Elephant Ambush posted:

She had him in a choke hold. He had to open his mouth to try to breathe. And like someone else said, if the allergy was bad enough just touching his teeth and lips might be enough.

I wonder how Maeve knew about his allergy. And what else she knows.

Maeve is the second oldest member of the team, I think. It must have come up.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 3, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

His motive has always been a need to belong and to be loved.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Romes128 posted:

Too bad Annie can't fly like she can in the comics. Would have been cool to get some DBZ fights in where they just tear apart a whole city full of people.

I know it doesn't really apply to the show, but in the comics it was Homelander, Maeve, and Black Noir that are the strongest supes around. Someone said even the rest of the 7 doesn't come close to those 3. Maeve VS Homelander would be good.

All (almost all?) the fights in this show have been short and brutal. I don't really know how strong Maeve is supposed to be in the show (and I haven't read the comics). If they ever go that route I hope she doesn't end up as another smear on the floor.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maeve did the smart thing and took down BN in the swiftest way she could. She probably could knock him down if she had to.

ghostwritingduck posted:

She’s strong enough to stop an armored vehicle by standing in front of it, appearing unfazed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iYV6PJmcaI

Yeah, I remember. It was a really cool scene. But can she tank HL's lasers?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It'd be quite the spin to turn that shitshow into something other than "Vaught sabotaged the hearing".

Tenzarin posted:

Does homelanders suit have the fake muscles or is that outfit supposed to be skin tight?

My next question is that if the outfit is skin tight, is it awkward to wear?

It's both. You can see the padding when he lifts his arms above his head, and somebody in the thread mentioned the actor said it's really tight.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

BurritoJustice posted:

So, Maeve running on walls. Are we feeling it's a speed thing or is a Jessica Jones style "almost flight" jumping

What's the over/under my goon friends, I need to have correct superpower summaries for my pogs collection

It's bad physics.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Looking forward to the next vote/poll.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The smoking joy.

Zaphod42 posted:

What if Alistair is a Supe and his power involves Fresca?! :tinfoil:

The smoking fresca? :aaa:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That kid will want his mom in a week and those two sociopaths won't know what to do with him.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

We don't know who "they" are yet. So we don't actually know who the real target(s) were. Or the motives.

PostNouveau posted:

I think the writers are better than that, but it's not guaranteed. They might, like, end the season with the Collective guy getting a big villain speech or whatever, but it wouldn't be a good direction to go in.

It is quite a mess they made.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

alexandriao posted:

Also, on topic: I really really hope that isn't the end of Black Noir.

He deserved better :(

A better candy bar :v:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

etalian posted:

Would be even more chaos if all the guys ended up being cursed by Love Sausage Tapir like super power.

If they could stabilize it, it would make trillions for Vought.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

+1 to being disappointed at the Becca storyline. But Shantel VanSanten did a great job with the material she was given.

Sio posted:

Maeve teleporting into scenes directly behind people was really strange for this show's normal level of quality and reminded me of the way Zombies would show up on The Walking Dead.

The whole central confrontation felt a bit like it had been edited a little too much for time given the episode's already extended length and some connective tissue was lost.

For a bit there that clearing seemed to be the only place to exist in the show's world. Every character just dropping in out of nowhere. It was silly.

The fight was pretty satisying though. Looking forward to the X Gon' Give It To Ya memes.

Cael posted:

"People LOVE what I have to say. They BELIEVE in it. They just don't like the word Nazi." I dunno . . . there could still be some areas of gray to examine in this. (kidding)

Also lol at them lampshading the use of Billy Joel.

loving amazing finale and season.

That line reminded me of Look Who's Back.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have to say starlight seems to be a fairly weak supe. Her power just kinda bounces off everyone it hits and a whiff of some lightening and she’s knocked over like a kicked tent.

I was surprised by Maeve and Hewie’s interaction the most? She called him a twink? I had to ask someone what that meant. I mean wow you know Maeve is defo the hottest girl in the show to me so her turning out to be anti gay men is upsetting.

ElBrak posted:

I figure Starlight actually believes in being a Super Hero, so all her practice with her powers is for nonlethal takedowns. Just knocking people over or blinding people like a flashbang. She never had to think about how to use her powers to cripple or kill someone.

Yeah, I'm begining to think Starlight doesn't really have it in her to deliberately hurt people. She isn't vicious enough.

itry fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I guess Annie absorbing her electricity was too simple a solution for the writers.

Automatic Slim posted:

Best case scenario, Stormfront slowly recovers with her super healing.

Worst, she’s a charred amputee for the rest of her long, long life.

Imagine Stormfront with overly long Gecko™ limbs.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 9, 2020