Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I just finished this the other day, and wow that was some really amazing stuff. The acting is really really superb, and the conflicts and characters are written in a compelling way. Starr steals the show for sure as Homelander, mother fucker is terrifying.

That baby is def toast.

Having read about the comic, i sure would like Huey and Annie to have like a functional relationship once they're past the circumstances that brought them together. seems like in the comic its on again off again drama so they could be the "happy ending"? I also having gone through this thread and the wiki have 0 interest in reading the actual comic. It seems like the show has taken the really good core pieces of the show and done something more interesting with it.

Season 2 sometime this summer which i guess makes my timing on watching it good.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

The Marvel shows in particular were stretched awfully.

It was their #1 failing, taking maybe 8-10 episodes worth of content and forcing it to be 13. But I guess when you get given an order and a budget saying "well i guess we dont need it all" doesn't go over well. That the Boys was so tight in its 8 episodes helped it a lot imo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

This poo poo is still so good. The performances are really great, I can't really think of anyone who you'd point to as a sore thumb from what they're bringing to the show.

I def appreciated the clarity Becca provided, and it really set the opportunity for some interesting angles they can go with her and the kid with. I'm continually astounded by how graphic and gross this show can be without it being an utter turn off. Somehow they've managed to make all those deeply uncomfortable things very compelling to world build and develop the characters. It's almost the opposite of the comics where it was nearly just shock for shock value, and they're pointedly using the graphic lovely stuff to drive the plot and characters. Honestly that seems like a hard task for most media, that they've managed it so well without driving viewers off I think is p impressive.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Ashley is 100% Banality of Evil. At least Stillwell had some class, Ashley is a disposable cog in the suffering factory and she knows it.

~In Marshawn Lynch's Tone~ "I'm just here so I don't get lasered"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I feel like Vought trying to keep Ryan and the super kid on the DL is really two parts tied to Edgar's speech about what the company really is, a pharma company.

1) It's bad PR to have your most prominent hero outed as a rapist while also learning the company forced this rape victim to be functionally locked up, then on top of that being forced to relive her trauma because they have no effective check on HL. It really destroys all the work they did in getting that military contract if you suddenly find out the "hero" is actually a monster the big company you signed on with can't manage. It makes everything the AOC stand in has been saying even more obviously true and Vought doesn't want to lose that dynamic (we control the only thing that can save you, well if you can't then umm). On top of that good luck selling a movie franchise with HL at the forefront anymore.

2) It would be really bad for the pharma business if folks knew there was a chance you could have a super kid by loving a super. V is out in the open, but at least on some level if you're the only place that makes it and you survive the open PR hit, you now have the market by the balls. If it gets out "oh yeah you don't have to buy our super juice, just go find you a super baby daddy" it really undercuts how they can sell and market V once they're able to. Imagine the dudes that would stop being a "super hero" to become "supes gigollo on the 1 800 number, get your appointment today" and how badly that would again undermine the Vought business model. Or alternatively the foreign governments that would offer defection options to supers to breed kids for their own supes weapons program. It's REALLY bad for business and the global power dynamic that keeps the money flowing if it comes out that you can keep this thing going without the V. (A-Train knows better than to gently caress with the money, which is really the core of the threat that Butcher made imo).

I will also second third whatever that The Deep just taking the "gently caress yeah" from Maeve to his question was just comedy gold. He suddenly has enough self-realization to even ask the question, but still doesn't get how it's an issue.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 21, 2020

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

You realize his remorse comes later yeah? Not in the instant when he's high as a kite? I swear its like moments only exist in a vacuum for some of y'all. Once he kills Popclaw, you can tell he has remorse and feels bad about it unlike other members of the 7. It also forces him to confront/reflect on what he did and now he can empathize with Hughie which leads to them challenging each other on the morals of their situation at the end of S1. The fact that he put on some bravado around his boys, not having had to face the reality of losing your partner, while loving high AF partying does not mean he never felt remorse or had some growth from that sequence.

Same deal with Butcher's bargain, why Edgar lets them go with an empty threat I think ties directly into the scene with Starlight and A-Train, but god forbid we connect separate sequences to inform what's happening.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The entire desire to fit the characters into only two categories of "good" or "bad" is really the issue. No he isn't a good person, but he also isn't the extreme caricature that he was to start the series. This show like i dunno the world itself, has a great deal of grey in it. A-Train is clearly not as dehumanized as say HL, while clearly not being as well actualized as a human who is also super as Starlight. Gotta be able to recognize the growth in the characters even if it is incremental, his story clearly isn't over yet. He may yet get there to the level we want him to have with Hughie, but the point is that he actually has made some steps in that direction unlike say HL who never will even start on that path.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

If I were managing an invincible superhero, I'd definitely have an "open secret" fake weakness for enemies to plan around.

"Yeah, don't tell anyone, but I can't see through zinc!"

This seems like it would really easy for Vought, oh and BTW in our hero profile their weakness is "insert made up or harmless thing", but don't worry we made their suit extra nice for them so you the public DONT NEED TO WORRY.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

boo_radley posted:

Man, I hope not. This destroys Billy as a character completely - he'd be unmoored without Becca. I suppose there's a chance he could take Hugh on as a "little brother", but that seems... unsatisfying.

Does it/would it though? He presumed her dead for years, so thats just a return to his status quo. She's already made clear that his personal violent psychotic streak really has nothing to do with anyone else, it's who he is and the best anyone can do is remind him to try and keep a check on it.

Frankly her dying, even horribly in front of him, I don't think changes much for Butcher. He lost her years ago, finding her again just solidified how he'll never get back the wife he had. I think it would clearly throw him into yet another murder spiral, but I don't really think it unmoors him, if anything it would force him to double down on what was already grounding his life "killing loving Homelander".

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

I like the comics where Huey is severely pissed at Annie for getting raped before she even met him to the point where he can't even stomach looking at her face. She has to track him down to his home country to apologize to him.

Yeah thats some poo poo I'm sure glad ain't in the show.

I think it feels really fun not having an obvious outcome, and this show I think has been p good at avoiding the obvious lazy solution out of something they've written into it. There are lots of ways they could take the plots they've setup, and it's cool feeling like there is just so much opportunity with what could happen.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 7, 2020

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Hercules was some Grade A 90s fantasy schlock.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Y'all want to dig into the silliest poo poo when it comes to folks with super powers. Maeve arriving right on time is some movie trope poo poo sure, but they set it up with them visiting her earlier, seeing her half apathy, then seeing her obviously not cool with stormfront in her return to the tower. Clearly the supe who came to beat down the Nazi would just let her run off without following? Come on y'all. The surprise of it happening twice from a direction scene composition angle I might buy into, but the idea that she wouldn't keep tracking the Nazi until she was sure it's done, given we seem to have established Maeve is likely 2nd only to HL, doesn't seem WILD to me.

I really felt like HL was actually humanizing trying to be a dad. He finally, for the first time in his life, truly had someone he could understand and connect with over their shared childhood and powerset. He gets really weirded out by Stormfront's full on white nationalist pitch to him, and he really does I think on some level show up in the woods trying to "protect" him from actors he sees as dangerous (Butcher and his now dead wife). To have that stolen again right from under him is going to be a huge factor in pushing him closer to the edge of saying gently caress IT. It is really impressive how they have allowed their major villain to be empathized/sympathized so well. Sure he likes that SF isn't so breakable, but as he sorta starts picking up on she's kinda just as nasty and ugly as the people that raised him once he sees past the ego/dick stroking she's providing him. The scenes in the restaurant and the cabin were astounding in letting you think HL might be capable of real human connection which he desperately wants, it's just impossible for him to find a dynamic that isn't toxic or dangerous to have that in.

I also momentarily thought that Butcher was going to try and crowbar the kid, but I think it's also possible that his hateful glare and reach for the crowbar (i feel like he slowly looks up right before HL shows up and he stands up with the crowbar) could have also been him seeing HL coming and wanting to take that rage out on him knowing this entire hosed situation is still on him. I think seeing Ryan move towards him just cements for him that the kid isn't really the focus of his hate and rage, its still HL and I don't think he'll lose sight of that again. I suspect his hate for Supes at large might be lightly tempered, but his HL hate is gonna intensify big time. Butcher def is working with the CIA, that was def the cool quiet acceptance walk away trope. Butcher was right to give the kid up, he left him with a connection to his mom that ties them together (the necklace) and he knows if the kid has any chance of being what Becca wanted, he can't stay with him and The Boys. Butcher truly truly loved Becca and that is still the thing that makes him not the monster HL is, however ruthless and violent he is.

This show is super well done, across the board. I really feel like if you thought it was all neatly resolved and there are no strings to tug at for S3 I don't get how we could have watched the same show. The status quo is now eerily shaky on lots of levels, and there are all sorts of new avenues for The Boys and Vought to have interesting conflicts/mystery unwrapping.

Also just wanted to chime in that there was just a lot of satisfying poo poo going down in the last episode.
- I also enjoyed the "girls do get it done" joke
- Annie can't absorb her lightning, because its plasma not electrons i guess?
- Kimiko's best power is def her ultra durability
- The sound design on the sonic trap was awesome, my surround sound really made it jarring.
- Starr is a loving masterpiece in this show just WOW
- Kinda can't believe they put that scene in at the end, I totally missed the S1 hair, but I think it's way more fitting for his frustration at the end of S2 than it would have been in S1.
- SUP SHITBIRDS, so good.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

There are no good options for Ryan once Becca is dead. There are only varying degrees of bad. Given Butchers experience with Vought and with the CIA, I don't think it's a big stretch for him to pick the lesser of the evils to "try" and keep his promise to Becca that he would safe guard Ryan. He clearly isn't a safe or stable dude to be around, and Mallory clearly pines for the lost relationship with her grandkids that Lamplighter toasted.

If your options are:
1) Let Vought take him back and HL will def be involved with him and he'll slowly morph into another godly monster.
2) Raise the kid yourself who then will likely adopt your toxic approach to the world making another godly monster.
3) Hand the kid off the only person who has actually seemingly given a poo poo about you and your plight who also happens to work for the only organization with enough resources and ability to maybe keep the kid from Vought.

I don't really think there is a better option than the dubious CIA. Their methods might be no better, but they are nominally interested in safe guarding the kid, and like you know a world where Supes don't just rule with an iron fist. Their goals align even if the methods are certainly tainted. No one here has clean hands, it's kinda one of the big themes of the show.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I think its possible he gets an inverse realization in the show. He may finally at the end see how he was actually closer to humanity and not the monster he was raised to be and it will crush him to know that he made the choices to truly go over the cliff and lose all chance for him to have the things he wants.

They've spent a lot of time humanizing him, and giving him moments or glimpses at the actual person/hero he could be if he just gave a poo poo.

e: this will not redeem him, but i can still see him having a moment of "oh it didn't have to be this way"

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 16, 2020

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Can't wait for the next season of this, all these commercials etc have been hilarious.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Saw them at the Safeway and could not help but chuckle a bit.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Sounds like I will need to get a can and do a taste test review for everyone here.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Peacemaker has been very fun. Cena really shines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Aww yiss gonna be another EXPLOSIVE season im sure