Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The scene set up deep's arc for the next few episodes where he gets high and his patton oswalt gills talk to him and he joins a cult. The implication is that this kind of thing happens a lot, like he knew where it was going when she makes him take the vest off. It's a fairly important narrative scene for a lot of reasons, and I don't think it's taken lightly, and it hints at a lot of stuff like supes feeling exploited by normal humans for being freaks, why deep likes his uncomplicated fish friends so much, how the fame that Vought manufactures can turn out, etc. Most of his scenes are comedy but that one really tells you the most about why he is the way he is.

Again, the way it's portrayed this kind of thing has happened to him before so I don't think it's some kind of random bad thing happening to bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didnt like S2 especially much but the whale impale was incredible. I'd forgotten how much fun gore could be, I was way into dead alive and evil dead 2 back in the day.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes. I'll point out that people have mentioned maeve "sacrificing herself" but that's not really what happened, she and everyone else was dead if SB blew up the tower and as it worked out she did the opposite of sacrificing herself. She chose keeping everyone alive vs killing everyone so for me it was appropriate that she gets to live too despite how sketchy it was.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I don't buy the idea that the explosion would have brought down the entire building and killed everybody in it. The explosion could just have been exactly as powerful as it needed to be. Powerful enough to de-supe Homelander and maybe char a few floors of the building or whatever, but exactly as weak as it needed to be to not literally topple it... or it could have toppled the building but the non-supes could have all somehow landed in perfectly hollowed out rubble in exactly the way they need to land in order to survive.

The point is that the explosion, like Butcher's actions, could just have been whatever the writers needed it to be to make the plot work, similar to how the rest of the events of that episode unfolded, and that this idea has never been more apparent than during the last big fight scene where everything miraculously happened exactly as it needed to happen to just kind of maintain the status quo and keep viewers hooked. I dunno, I'm just saying that the way things went down in the finale simply exposed too many of the nuts and bolts of the writers' intentions and became such an obvious look behind the curtain that the show has changed for me in a way I don't know if I can continue to engage with.
might you say your... immersion is ruined?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I do agree that homelander being disgustingly stronger than everyone was a core premise of the show and a lot of stuff from S1 (like Vogel calling him his greatest failure) gets undermined when he's just the strongest supe by a bit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I thought the general thrust of MM's storyline was fine. He was presenting a lame sanitized version of himself to his daughter and it was bad for their relationship. He punches Todd but ofc the daughter he loves will forgive him.

The OCD stuff was basically superfluous and as far as I could tell it was just a way to make the cum gag mean. Frenchie and Kimiko was definitely superfluous but at least we got dildos.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Naming her literally Stormfront was weird and imo a very bad idea. It's one of the only places that (I assume) would be proud of the association and is just not something you want to touch like that. You're just asking for your show to become a dogwhistle no matter what its content is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 28, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

His reaction when Stormfront would go on about him being aryan perfection communicated it pretty succinctly. No, but also yes close enough.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Halloween, Aliens, and The Thing were his favorites.
He's just like me. Show him Terminator 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

No poo poo, we did Terminator and T2 a few weeks ago! He loved them both. Probably T2 better but that's no surprise, lots more eye candy. I got a great bonus watching T2 with him. At the beginning Sarah does that voice over saying that like before, they sent a Terminator and a protector, words to that effect. So we see Arnie time travel in. Then the T-1000 popped in and guess who hadn't been spoiled by dumb rear end marketing like when the movie came out? My son! He said out loud, "There's the protector." I almost did fist pumps. When we got to the mall scene and Arnie covered up John and fought the T-1000, my son let out a, "What the hell!?!" It was fantastic.

There's an ILM FX artist on Twitter who I follow who often shares stories about watching movies with his kids. I told him about my unspoiled son's T2 reaction and I think he was almost as happy as I was.
Ha ha well done! I'd forgotten that was even possible and I'm quite jealous. I'd also suggest 2002 spider man but you may have seen that already as well.