Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tino posted:

Homelander > Thanos jizz all over lesser supervillains

Didn't read the comics but I loved his constant poo poo eating grin and his artificial ken doll look.

Perfect casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Antony Starr is a masterclass in twitchy face acting.

A lot of people give the show credit for toning down the comic's edgelord bullshit, but I think the number one thing they got right was in handling Butcher. The main thing holding the comic back was that Ennis was obviously way too in love with Billy Butcher and his toxic masculine bullshit monologues; even when he was putting him in the wrong, you could tell that Ennis secretly loved it. The show does a great job simultaneously toning Butcher way down and showing just how badly he's loving his own self up, and what a place of weakness it comes from.

Yeah Butcher is pretty much a unlikable trainwreck of character especially in terms of failed relationships.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe the TV series is just a secret ad for Midwest life?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Everything that happens to Deep in episode 7 is hilarious but so disturbing. The Gills scene was so uncomfortable and just kept going.

The whole sub-plot of him bragging that he was the second in command with the Seven then getting exiled to Midwest for his various PR fiascos was pretty hilarious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

homelander is a perfect representation of america though.

they have him creating his own enemy, it's perfect.

Homelander is basically if Trump got superman level of powers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azhais posted:

He was pretty good in Futureman too

Yeah I think he's pretty much stuck being typecast as weirdos or villain characters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deep's downward spiral, the black humor in the failed dolphin rescue and also getting exiled to the midwest was my favorite part of the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

the dark fate trailer was laughably bad but that owns.

Arnold dunking on people always owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DklAU4GNpxA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If Homelander ran as president in the current Chud support our troops political climate he would win a landslide victory.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Every B plot involving the Deep is great. I could watch a whole show of him being trying to help sea life and failing miserably.

At least he got the $75 per diem?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

massive spider posted:

The problem is Translucent is completely unstable and untrustworthy.

A regular, well trained and loyal spy with some electronic recording equipment can do a better job of surveillance than a naked lunatic.

The same is true for a lot of the supes, you could have a howitzer in human form (and severe emotional issues) or you could just...train a regular crew to use a howitzer

He also abuses his super power for mundane things like hiding out in the women's bathroom.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You're not supposed to stare at people's junk and listen to their private conversations, even in a unisex bathroom...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cP8Rg4jth0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think haley joel getting his cranium cracked was the most brutal.

I think this is the first show to have a over the top death by facesitting.

At least it was also a landlord death.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Just got to the plane scene in Episode 4, loving brutal. This show rules.

The show went from the patriotic "Delta Force" ending to some real black humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTb9EdYZDg

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR766FtEhv0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deuce posted:

Finished the show, caught up in the thread. Just lol at the guy who kept calling Kimiko “demure.” She’s a Wolverine stand-in. She’s feral, and every scene with her has her on the edge of snapping and killing everyone in the room. (In addition to the scenes she does exactly that)

Demure.

They even went with a “had to be saved by the ‘white’ guy” trope.... the guy she literally saved from Black Noir?

That guy was quite the idiot taking offense and clutching his pearls over everything in a black comedy focused show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GigaPeon posted:

If they wanted to really to sell the cynicism of corporations doing "social" stuff in 2019, they should have had Homelander parade around with a rainbow flag cape for a month instead of going to PrayAwayTheGay-Con.

I guess you never visited the US bible belt?

Pretty hilarious driving along the highway see things like mega-church ads and anti-abortion billboards.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylA6Tn8n6Co

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The subversion of the Superman myth is so good. I felt violated during the scene on the farm.

antony starr was a really incredible at this role for being evil superman but then occasionally making you feel bad for him like
when he realizes his origin story was manufactured.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Ah. Haven't seen the tick. Probably need to rectify that.

I enjoyed it and similar to The Boys it's a great satire/roast of the super hero genre.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

I got the impression that The Tick was way more lighthearted than The Boys, not that thats a bad thing.

Yeah it's a different type of genre roast and I would say it's not as mean spirited as The Boys which starts for example with the guy's girlfriend getting exploded by a tripping supe.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zoux posted:

I picked up the first trade of the comics to see what it was like (it's so loving bad) and I'm so glad they chose not to use V on The Boys. In the book as soon as Hughie becomes a Boy they shoot him up with compound V and they can go toe-to-toe with the superpowered guys. It's way more interesting and complicated that if any of the heroes even so much as lays a hand on any of our lads they're loving dead meat.

Yeah things like the beatdown fight with Translucent was pretty great since they had to cheat and fight dirty to knock him out cold. Even when they captured him they had no easy way to kill him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm looking forward to another season of Antony Starr's crazy take on Homelander.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g72uGYd5EJQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Homelander doesn't really give a poo poo about power in the political sense, though. He doesn't particularly care about controlling what other people do or don't do, as long as he gets to do whatever he wants on a personal level.

Yeah at the fundamental level he's pretty much driven by selfish and narcissistic goals.

Antony Starr was incredible in the role.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

:colbert: I had fun watching Watchmen

The only good thing about it was the Lube man chase scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Clowner posted:

He physically looks a lot like Fassbender, sure. They can both do menacing evil and subtle weakness quite well. Starr has an incredible talent for portraying barely-restrained malicious glee, something which I can't recall Fassbender ever doing but that's more because none of his roles have been as Chaotically Evil as Starr's Homelander.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hizawk posted:

He absolutely is bananas in The Boys though.

Yeah the mannerisms and also physical appearance for the role casting was fantastic.

You can also tell that Starr really enjoyed the craziness of the role.

It's a fun a character since Homelander physically is a wrestling face character but deep down he's actually a heel character who really enjoys being able get away with anything.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Though the casting for the other heroes was really especially Translucent or Deep with his downward spiral into being exiled off to the Midwest.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I don't remember this particular version of this being posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mi8yJxT.mp4

It's my favorite one and apologies if it's a repost.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh my god the moment Homelander switches to the Official Smile once she mentions who put her in the Seven :allears:

CLAP HANDS

THUMBS UP

I'm sure someone is getting their skull roasted after that....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo the first 3 minutes just reminded me how loving good this show is. It's a long wait till September.

Antony Starr's crazy take on the character of Homelander is back and it's incredible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm just excited how it got renewed and also the short video shows they are continuing the unique humor from the first season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g72uGYd5EJQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sponges posted:

How the heck are they planning to kill Homelander?

A mirror that can reflect lasers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm just excited get another season of crazy Antony Starr acting as Homelander.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A-Train treated it kinda like super cocaine. He took it to get faster, so apparently it not only gets you high, it boosts your powers a bit as well. Downside is, apparently it's easy to overdose.

The V "landlord" death scene from season 1 was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TaurusTorus posted:

As a counterpoint, Mesmer seemed pretty baseline other than the mind stuff.

The death of Mesmer on the TV series was one of the worst deaths in the whole show especially how he realizes he won't be able to negotiate his way out.