Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The fx team went above and beyond too. Made a silicone face of the actor to put over a fake fx skull and gore setup so it's basically all practical fx with minimal cgi. loving brutal.

You could pretty much feel pretty Mesmer was pretty horrible after getting a no one situation by selling out Butcher's Gang to Homelander and got one of the more brutal deaths in the series.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If Homelander ran in today's political environment he would get elected in a landslide

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

When Stillwell confronted him about killing that mayor... and he cycles through defensiveness, anger, holding back tears. Just brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVcqDlV1VM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Casting Karl Urban as Butcher was another stroke of genius.

He really really sells the charismatic destructive crusader and often madman nature of character really well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://collider.com/the-boys-season-3-renewed/

Already been renewed for Season 3!

I feel the need to share this. It's a season 2 clip, and it's... I really have no words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkZEPgBqAu8

They loving BUILT A WHALE. An honest to god practical fx whale, that Karl Urban (not a stunt guy) drove into. Holy gently caress :stonk:

Deep's real super power is causing hilarious marine life death.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Holy gently caress that clip :vince:

I can't wait for season 2.

The show seems to really enjoy Pete Jackson style "splatstick humor" like the baby laser scene from the first season.

Lmao how Deep was doing the Marvel hero cliche power pose right before the boat shot right through the whale.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Let's get the thread back on track...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Swollen Member posted:

I adore his lameass standard superhero pose. :allears:

His real superpower is murdering sea creatures who dare to come out of the sea.

I laughing my rear end off on how he was doing the Marvel hero pose and the soundtrack even blasted a cheesy parody notes of marvel soundtracks before he got served.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just when you though they could not top the hilarious dolphin road kill death scene in season 1.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Even without the boat that whale looks pretty hosed, hows it supposed to unbeach itself

Like with the dolphin scene Deep doesn't seem to think his clever plans through...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

would a speed boat even move a whale those things are a dense pack of fat and muscle and bone

Does it even matter when you are filming a splatstick humor scene that also roasts Marvel movies?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

boat or no boat that poor whale was in for a real bad day when it got convinced by deep to beach itself

Deep's superpower seem to lead to hilarious and ineffective comedy scenes like the season 1 dolphin rescue scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huItZoIjIuo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

That's probably the Deep catchphrase in the merchandise, at this point.

I think the comedy value of his character is how he basically a parody of Marvel and DC Comic movies (Aquaman) like how he did the hero power pose before getting owned.

A good amount of black humor in the show was how the 7 are pretty incompetent like how Homelander accidentally crashes the plane during the hostage rescue attempt but is able to use Trumpian energy to spin the thing as a heroic story.

Translucent abuses his invisibility super power just to hide out in the bathrooms.

The only superhero who has any sort of professionalism is Black Noir.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yeah they're all too used to Vought setting them up fake villain fights.

Also the 7 who do end up dying in season 1 or have near miss incidents are pretty much due to their character flaws and arrogance.

Translucent has a arrogant personality and feels invincible like how he enjoyed gloating in his fight vs Butcher which caused his downfall.
His attempts at emotional manipulation almost pays off to help him escape but he ends up splattered all over a room.

A-train is basically a junkie who's past his prime and picked up lots of health problems over the years.

Mesmer sells out The Boys to Homelander but doesn't realize that Butcher had a good guess who betrayed him. His superpowers aren't helpful in the brutal bathroom beatdown scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Based on season 1 and the previews for S2, Black Noir seems to have no issues with carnage

They already released this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L09zfsVYQz8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So I realized today just how much of a complete moron The Deep is.

The Deep makes sense once you realize that he's the super-hero version of a Himbo.

He has the looks and guns but at the end of day is dumb as a pile of bricks like in the hilarious dolphin rescue scene from S1.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 10, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Season 2 casting spoiler- Shawn Ashmore joins season 2 cast as Lamplighter Not surprising with how much Lamplighter was name dropped in season 1.

Bring the entire cast of the X-men movies and see if anyone notices...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

seaborgium posted:

They all had contracts and it sounded like it was similar to Hollywood actor stuff. They get percentages of profits, like from movies and merch, and some of them were smart enough to get better lawyers or have better sales. The Deep is probably pretty low just because his main thing seems to be not-Seaworld and the occasional movie. Translucent seemed to have a pretty huge franchise he headed even if he wasn't one of the big 3, same with A-Train and sponsorships.

Deep was basically like a laughing-stock equivalent to Hollywood D list celeb.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrManiac posted:

I finally got around to watching this and it was amazing.I feel like this is one of the rare times where a finale is actually good. Even in the comics butcher was always a sociopath who reveled in violence. What happened to his wife was tragic but it always feel like it was just an excuse to go back to what he loves best, loving people up/over. Totally taking that excuse away by making it so that homelander might not have even wronged him is a amazing hook.

With how well this show is doing I wonder if anybody will try adapting Irredeemable. You could base an entire show on 'how do I kill this invincible monster'

[e] I still miss comic stillwell though. It's pretty amazing how he was still the most sociopathic monster at the end of the day despite just being a suit.

well at most companies the worst people are upper management types.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

loving diabolical!

Speakong of which, someone needs to make a :diabolical: smiley,along the lines of :perfect:

Can we agree that casting Karl Urban as Butcher was a stroke of genius?

He really sells the charismatic, destructive nature of the character really well and also his adaptable personality.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

He went in to audition, but bailed after seeing how ripped Evans and Hemsworth had gotten, as far as I remember.

Can you blame him?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Willing to be part of the calculus on that was "aw gently caress the diet must be insane"

Well it was the standard diet torture of things like lots of boneless chicken breasts and Omega-3 fatty fish like salmon.

Plus 1 hour long workouts with minimal rests between each set.

https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/fitness/chris-hemsworths-thor-diet-workout-plan

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

homelander could be the best villain on TV, every scene he's in... there's just so much menace and threat the scene when he's talking to maeve after she gets off the phone with her ex was terrifying. it feels like at any second he could snap and just kill people

Yeah plus how the first season shows his smiles and attempts to have a wholesome image is just misdirection forhow he really enjoys lording over / killing regular people.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I like that The team takes Hughies side in the conflict with Butcher, and also they really showcase what a poo poo head Butcher is and how unhinged he is

Going out to get Karl Urban for the role was really brilliant.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

And some are just chumps with single use powers like Mesmer. He can read thoughts. He obviously can't do anything else since he's a schlub.

Mesmer's death in season 1 was one of the more unsettling scenes in the whole series especially his desperation when tries to talk his way out of the situation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao the patriotic eagle screech sound at the end of the ad.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another crazy season of Antony Starr as Homelander.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Black Noir is a master of non-verbal expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfRiRaD_5C0

lmao at the no snacking scene in the operations room.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I doubt she picked Stormfront because she chases storms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jSAM2VVlVQ

I love everything about the Deep this season. Everyone calling him a piece of poo poo to his face and him going “huh ok” and rolling with it has been fantastic.

He can't even join a Scientologist parody cult correctly without ending up as a laughing stock.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It was hard not to laugh at the recent episodes roast of big budget formulaic comic book hero films.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Keltar posted:

People like Stormfront thrive in such climates and help make things worse.

She pretty much the classic example of a demagogue given things like tapping in populist rage and also how she's very effective at emotionally manipulating people while portraying herself as just looking out for people. .

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I remember a movie called Look Who's Back where Hitler is timetravelled to modern Germany (it never explains how), and he goes around being literally Hitler and the only people that have a problem with him are neo nazis who think he's mocking them. Everyone else thinks he's some method actor even when he's on a latenight tv show to talk about what he would do if he were in charge again.

Look Who's Back was a amazing comedy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZi67BmY_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiuesTpIPVQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Google Butt posted:

The weekly release poo poo is whack

I know people had a meltdown in the Amazon review section for season 2.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The theory that I just developed (and may already be contradicted by evidence idk) is that Stormfront just has Liberty's old skillset and the lightning is just cosmetic Vought movie magic.

Edit: no wait, she legit lightining'd some dudes in the apartment building right?

I guess you missed that part?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

They're not really superior, though. Most of the superteams in the comics could cream the Boys... if they knew how to properly use their powers and coordinate tactically. But they don't, they just throw themselves into comic-style big brawls. They expect to win, at worst they don't expect to get killed or really hurt, because normally they only "fight" in publicity stunts where the heroes always win. Put into a real fight against actual soldiers they get wiped.

Well most of it is due to how the Supes are drug addled narcissistic wrecks.

Also a tremendous amount of arrogance due to their power like how Translucent getting captured was pretty much due to how he was arrogant and over-confidence in the fight with Butcher which made him put his guard down at a critical moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Excuse me, how would he lift it? There's no ground. (This is my favorite line to prove how stupid he is)

Homelander is basically what happens when you give a Himbo super-powers.