Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Disharmony posted:

Homelander losing his cool in the plane and threatening to heat vision all of the passengers was scary as gently caress and probably one of my favorite scenes this season. Just any scene in general when Homelander's in the shade or dark and all you see is his shining red eyes is very unnerving. Antony Starr really does simmering intensity so well.

Chris Pine should be a little worried. Starr could be slotted into pretty much any role of his, including Kirk.

If anything, the way they've got him dolled up, he looks like what would happen if you blended Chris Pine and Michael Fassbender together.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, just finished this season up tonight. I'm happy they're taking the tack they are, simply because now we're quite literally "off book," meaning Season 2 is going to be completely new, more or less.

As for the guy who mentioned Irredeemable, wow...I haven't thought about that book in a long time, but I really loved how it ended and how the "archnemesis" angle was handled in it. The other comic I'd *really* love to see done right in either TV or movie form is Millar's "Nemesis." It's not a new plot by any means (rich rear end in a top hat decides to become a supervillain instead of Batman), it's just seventy shades of hosed up. Most of Millar's stuff is really dumb, but I think Nemesis is underrated.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Boinks posted:

I'm that guy who has the full run haha

Crossed is what happens when someone says "okay, so take the Garth Ennis that made George Clooney drop out of playing Nick Fury, and turn him up to about...23 on a 10 point scale."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

We're also not considering the possibility that Becca's still dead and 'she' was just Doppelganger doing Homelander's bidding. It'd stand to reason that there might be Supes with psychic abilities, so the idyllic scene might be all in Billy's head, and the kid might not be real, either.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

he should've been able to control vehicles with his mind and rammed them into crowds.

A technokinetic Supe would be interesting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This show is so well done, it makes me hate the new season of Preacher even more. Only two episodes in and it's a disjointed mess, and "God" doing an in-show ad for Diet Dr. Pepper is a little much.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In the books it's *implied* that Maeve is "almost his equal" or somesuch.

People say the same about Wonder Woman, since she's technically a mythological being conjured/sustained by divine mojo/magic, she should theoretically be able to kick Superman's rear end, but never has, and every so often DC loves to show that Superman is so unimaginably powerful that any comparison is meaningless.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Some of Ennis' best work are his War Stories and Battlefields series. He clearly has a reverence for military history and doesn't "Garth Ennis" much of it. There are allusions to rape, but they're always in context instead of his usual disturbing use of it superfluously in his other works.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Maeve in the comics was if Wonder Woman was crossed with Lucille Bluth.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Superman doesn't use his eye lasers because I'd imagine it's a question of modulation. It's like the #1 rule of shooting - you're not just shooting at your target, you're inadvertently shooting at everything *behind* your target as well.

In Flashpoint the weakened prisoner Superman just ~finds out~ he has eye lasers and instantly vaporizes an entire Spec Ops company.

He can also "scatter" them for wide angle effect.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 12, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Asgerd posted:

Still, it was a goddamn masterpiece compared to Crossed.

Crossed is what happens when someone does the big bad wrong of telling Ennis to ~just be himself~.

It's like with Red Rover Charlie - he just HAS to make the little kid lick the dogshit from the scrapyard dog's rear end.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I know what show we're talking about here, but I kinda hope they keep with the whole "Stormfront is a Neo-Nazi hiding in plain sight" thing and don't go over the top and have her have a memorabilia fetish room and an American History X-style swastika tattoo somewhere on her.

Of course, probably *both* of those things and more will happen, but still, it's a more powerful metaphor with her playing the "snarky liberal feminist virtue signaler who's secretly a minority-killing Nazi" character.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Victis posted:

I think the idea that Stormfront is a literal actual Nazi from back in the day is genius because it sets up a conflict between Homelander and her.

She probably sees in him an ally and the ideal ubermensch. On the other hand, he sees himself as such a champion of America, how do you reconcile that with working with what the US has always considered the Big Bad Guys

I actually want her to be an alternate-history Hanna Reitsch or something. Or worse, Irma Grese.

withak posted:

Her belt buckle is pretty nazi-adjacent.

*Directly* Nazi-adjacent. It's a blatant Reichsadler without the swastika.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm about 99% sure she's on the company payroll simply as Edgar's bodyguard/insurance policy.

I kinda hope they stick with Black Noir being the 'insurance policy.' In the comics, Black Noir is stronger than Homelander, he's just had to reign it in his entire life.

That being said, I think it really burns her rear end that Homelander's seen as the perfect specimen of super-powerdom when she was likely the original "Uberfrau." The "gramps" burn seemed more barbed than it was intended to be.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do wonder if one thing they'll keep from the books is Butcher dosing Hughie with Compound V because ~reasons~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, I could see that. And the good news would be him and Starlight would have something in common!

I keep thinking back to a quote from "The Losers."

"It's like giving a handgun to a six year old. You don't know how it's gonna end, but you're pretty sure it's gonna make the papers."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I just got done reading the comic series and this hits hard.

You're not done *yet*. Ennis - probably to coincide with the new season - has put out a new series called "Dear Becky" that follows the events of the original GN.

It's not getting very good reviews, though: https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/06/03/review-the-boys-dear-becky-1/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 7, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I only read a few of the comics before I gave up and scanned through the Wiki... the show is good this season, I hope they mostly use the comics as inspiration

Well, yeah, I could kind of do without the "Good Soldier" moment. :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tarquinn posted:

Nah, there was something different at work. Sniper bullets do not give you a nosebleed three seconds before they hit you.

It's going to be something like nanotechnology. If someone they know is investigating them says the wrong thing, Vought literally blows their mind.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Knowing this show and the source material...it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this Stormfront wasn't a female clone of Vought. Or ~intersexed~ because WHY NOT?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 8, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I was more so referring to the fact that it'd keep with Ennis (who doesn't have anything to do with this show besides the "Based On" byline) doing things purely for shock value, but fair enough.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm surprised and embarrassed that I somehow didn't know this, I apologize for the terminology gently caress-up and thank you for mentioning it.

I didn't know either, and edited my OP.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Avasculous posted:

One thing I remember reading about that might be related: apparently they cast someone to play Soldier Boy, the WW2 supe that Edgar mentioned. If he's also around as a 30-year-old, I wonder if he's connected to Liberty.

Ughhhhhhhh...Black Noir is going to be Soldier Boy, I just know it. He's been the military "check and balance" presence in The Seven the whole time. But he's gone a bit crazy over the years being ordered to be mute and to *not* reign in the shitheads he's teamed with, and a "crazy Captain America" would track for these writers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's Garth Ennis works in a nutshell. And this is edited.

Yeah, there's no way we're going to get a "Herogasm" in this show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I couldn't do Crossed. Preacher and Boys at least there's some interesting payoffs and story, but he definitely goes too far pretty often even then.

Even Rover Red Charlie went from "huh, interesting" to "oh, *gently caress you*, Ennis" by the last two issues.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thanks, I needed to read those words for some reason tonight because I wasn't already primed by "Homelander isn't that bad when you really think about it" guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rabid creatures can't help themselves. Homelander is a sentient being who chooses to inflict himself on people because he believes he's a god. Vought ideally wanted him controllable, so I doubt they inculcated that in him, they just went Full Montessori on him because no one in their right mind wanted to get near a superpowered kid/teenager with no moral compass.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I like(d) that they found a way to bring Elizabeth Shue back. :swoon:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think if Liberty had had electrical powers it would've outed by now. Perhaps she got re-dosed with V and picked up new powers/abilities.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pikehead posted:

I figure it's because Homelander thinks it will play better - tt's much more tragic for the baby to survive, growing up without a mother etc etc

There was a scene in the original (and terrible) "Wanted" comic where Mr. Rictus (the closest thing to The Joker in that universe) killed a random kid's parents and when his other mooks were about to kill the kid as well he stopped them and said something to the effect of "who knows, maybe he'll grow up to be an interesting distraction in 20 years."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't the comics make the Becca-Homelander hookup consensual?

In the comic she's not named Becca, was clearly raped (by Homelander or not-Homelander posing as Homelander, I can't remember), and Butcher's only clue that something happened is that she goes from being happy and joyful to looking like she has PTSD, and then when her kid lasers its way out of her uterus and Butcher beats it to death.

It's Ennis. The man could and would fit rape into a children's book if he could.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Beef Stew posted:

Im really glad the guy that lost his dick to the unnamed ice supe is still around. I don't know why but I find his scenes with the other costume/ make up dude really funny every time.

He was one of the best parts of "Preacher" until Starr killed him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, although he's been strongly typecast and plays the exact same character in Boys, Preacher and Better off ted.

I also missed the fact that he and the Congresswoman are alumni from "Timeless."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So evidently there's a reason there are three "Timeless" alums on The Boys - Eric Kripke. Goran Višnjić is the cult leader.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

This gets into one of the "problems with super heroes if they were real" that watchmen and boys don't seem to touch on, but seems like a big obvious deal to me and part of why its always just power fantasy;

If you legitimately had the powers of a superhero, would there not be a massive burden on your shoulders to work 24/7?

Others have asked and answered this question: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

It also bothers me that Zach didn't add another panel suggesting that they make him pedal a bike as well before they hit "Peak Superman."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 18, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, I'm pretty sure that *is* Gecko's "lab" job - giving skin grafts and organs to ultra-rich people and influential politicians and their families. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a guy who spent his adolescence 'fighting crime' probably isn't a Biology/Pharma PhD.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

He's even skinnier than that nowadays, I wouldn't have guessed at all until someone in this thread posted some con panel that he was in and I was shocked by how much padding the suit had.

This is him a few months ago working out for season 2.

He's naturally a pretty small dude.

Jesus gently caress I thought that was Jason Bateman for a second.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Makes her feel bigger to me.

The weight of history. Inherited context. Authoritarianism. Mankind's irremovable proclivity for hierarchy.

Reminds me of the abject fascist from Shutter Island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jOoKtgCZs

"We've known each other centuries."

We will never be free of this.

And: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_niOqohcY&t=88s

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

This is an impressively bad thread.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Romes128 posted:

thank zack snyder for showing the world how much of an rear end in a top hat Superman really is.

The Batman: White Knight arc had a really interesting subtext where it was revealed that the uber-rich people in Gotham (and elsewhere) knew Bruce Wayne was Batman but didn't say anything because they were making billions rebuilding Gotham after he disproportionately hosed up the :airquote: economically-challenged :airquote: parts of the city, and made sure Wayne Enterprises always got lucrative contracts so they could frame him if they ever needed to.

But yeah, that was the best part of Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman. Batfleck had EVERY RIGHT to be loving suspect and hateful of Superman.

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah that's how she murders the black family.

She also sizzles Kimiko's brother to take the fight out of him before busting his wrists and then his neck. So it's either a legit superpower...or part of her suit.