Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chernobyl Princess basically answered it. It's among the best known medicines for anxiety, it can be abused, side effects tend to be less, and since it's available as a generic it's relatively inexpensive. A lot of people are also exposed to it via recreational use, which helps increase its popularity since, as CP said - patients will straight up ask for it rather than let their doctor prescribe something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

Here's something that happened to me I've been wondering about :

A doctor writes a prescription for some medication, but tells the patient that they will not send it to the patient's pharmacy. Instead, the doctor knows a pharmacy that can get this medication at a huge discount. They tell the patient they will send the prescription to that pharmacy, and the patient should receive a phone call from the pharmacy the next day to confirm payment and shipping details (pharmacy is in the same state, hours away).

The pharmacy calls the patient the next day. They never ask for insurance information. The patient pays the pharmacy directly. The cost of the medication is much, much cheaper than what it normally retails for. It's even much cheaper than what the co-pay would be. Medication arrives. It's not a generic version, and everything seems correct.

The benefit to me is obvious. Something that would have cost me a $200 co-pay ended up being less than $40. I'm just wondering what kind of deal the doctor and pharmacy have going on where they're able to pull this off and profit from it.

Online-only pharmacy maybe? Or did you pick it up in person?