Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

It's not impossible that the US will end up adopting a single payer system within the next decade, and if so it will presumably set prices in the same way that other countries do. In this case I think it will be very hard to convince Americans that the US should continue to spend the same total amount on drugs it does now.

I work in “big pharma” and asked a VP in charge of pricing at a happy hour what happens when they sell to countries with single-payer. They get a price from the country, and sell at that price because the market is too big to pass up. They still make money.

I’m pretty convinced at this point that the only thing UHC in America will dent is my bonus, but since I wouldn’t have a $6500/yr deductible I’m totally willing to roll those dice. We spend like 4.2 trillion a year on healthcare. US Pharma R&D spend is like $60B/year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU