Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

Wait, how do you change the fov, I didn't see that option. It's what I don't like.

Console. r_fov <value in degrees>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Console. r_fov <value in degrees>

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, I'm loving Heartland. You can see it has Skillsaw's trademark style, but even more polished and with more creative parts. Very well balanced, it isn't a hard wad, it's easier than AA I'd say, but hard enough to make it intense and have to be playing decently.
The custom weapons are fun to use, in fact it's a pity there isn't a axe-focused level!, the dual skorpions and the flame gun PG replacement rock. And the custom enemies are well integrated into the game, fitting perfectly and they have been tweaked to make them more fun (in comparison with other wads that used the same enemies) and in line with the wad's quick pace.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
A new tool-assisted speedrun provides an estimate of how much time the Okuplok Slaughter Map would take to UV-Max with absolutely optimal play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubdda0DuFvM
It's a lot of time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Carpator Diei posted:

A new tool-assisted speedrun provides an estimate of how much time the Okuplok Slaughter Map would take to UV-Max with absolutely optimal play.
It's a lot of time.

Why release a map that's so damned ugly.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Because everybody else is making wads for a port that sucks

Just joshin', GZDoom is great. Just not for actual Doom.

Volte posted:

Eternity Engine is one of the oldest Doom ports still being maintained, assuming you count GZDoom as being distinct from ZDoom.

I'm not arguing whether it's good or not. It just seems odd to make it Eternity exclusive because I imagine the player base isn't exactly big. At least something designed for pretty much any other port would be compatible in GZD.

Then again it's not like it's hard for people to download it for free and give it a run.

Also I already use three different source ports depending on what I'm playing and I don't want to have to set up another one because I'm grumpy ok :mad:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not arguing whether it's good or not. It just seems odd to make it Eternity exclusive because I imagine the player base isn't exactly big. At least something designed for pretty much any other port would be compatible in GZD.
I assume it's intended as a promotional WAD for the Eternity engine. As in, people will download the engine so that they can play this collaborative project made by three of the most famous community members. Judging by this thread and the Doomworld release thread, it appears to be working :v:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
ime EternityEngine is slick as hell, plays really well, and is visually the most Doom looking of any source port apart from Chocolate/Crispy. It's nice to finally have an excuse to actually use it and Heartland is just brilliant from what I've seen so far. The lack of complevel settings and general bugginess has always been kind of a deal breaker although the most recent dev build seems stable enough, at least once I got it to stop crashing :wiggle:

btw, stand next to the windows on the train when you break them and listen. Heartland's charm is off the charts

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Carpator Diei posted:

It's a lot of time.

I'm not sure what "tool assisted" means in this context but my god how do you not take any hits during that initial Imp portion. I love watching Okuplok plays.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phetz posted:

I'm not sure what "tool assisted" means in this context but my god how do you not take any hits during that initial Imp portion. I love watching Okuplok plays.

That's exactly what it means, being able to rewind a couple seconds to make sure you don't get hit at any point and/or adjust the RNG so everything works in your favour.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

That's exactly what it means, being able to rewind a couple seconds to make sure you don't get hit at any point and/or adjust the RNG so everything works in your favour.

I wouldn't be surprised if significant portions of that run were played at slower than realtime speed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A.o.D. posted:

Why release a map that's so damned ugly.

Okuplok isn't a map in the normal sense, its more of a proof of concept or even a gimmick. Slaughterwads taken to their final Apotheosis.

Its important that it exists though! (If only as a joke)

Phetz posted:

I'm not sure what "tool assisted" means in this context

A computer is controlling the player, and is making thousands of decisions per second and using save-states in order to record a near "perfect" gameplay input.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Phetz posted:

Tool-assisted can be several things. As mentioned before it can be rewinding your recorded play by a few second to replay, stitching together segments, playing in slow motion, it's a term that has multiple implementations. Heck, part of it could be playing with the minimap open and having entities/projectiles displayed so you can effortlessly weave through them like a bullet hell shooter. They're generally frowned upon being submitted as a legitimate speedun record, but they're still impressive as a way of showing "If you were a goddamn superhuman you could pull off this insane stuff."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

A computer is controlling the player, and is making thousands of decisions per second and using save-states in order to record a near "perfect" gameplay input.

Tool assisted covers a gamut of conditions ranging from using save states (in games that don't have quick saving) all the way to having a machine perform every single input.

In the case of Zero Master's Okuplok run, I think they actually did the input, based on the fact that he frequently stops shooting to look at projectiles coming in from behind him. A computer wouldn't need to do that.

Now, I could be wrong, but in the case of this run, I think Tool-assisted means that the in game tick rate was reduced and a single demo was spliced together out of multiple game saves and played back at normal speed to produce a single coherent run.

Ee eff loving bee

edit: I've got an idgames mirror for trousled.wad now. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/trousled

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 5, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

The custom weapons are fun to use, in fact it's a pity there isn't a axe-focused level!,

Oh, I was wrong, there is a nice section at the start of map 7...
Then again, pretty much all of map 7 is pretty crazy. Epic fights, architecture, visual style, music, etc.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 5, 2021

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Dieting Hippo posted:

Tool-assisted can be several things. As mentioned before it can be rewinding your recorded play by a few second to replay, stitching together segments, playing in slow motion, it's a term that has multiple implementations. Heck, part of it could be playing with the minimap open and having entities/projectiles displayed so you can effortlessly weave through them like a bullet hell shooter. They're generally frowned upon being submitted as a legitimate speedun record, but they're still impressive as a way of showing "If you were a goddamn superhuman you could pull off this insane stuff."

Ahh that makes sense, thanks. I guess they aren't the Doom god it seemed like they were but still, going through Okuplok like that was very entertaining to watch.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've jumped into zanny servers running okuplok and noped out after dying a jillion times with hardly any progress. the jumping puzzle right when you spawn didn't endear me to it any. It was very gratifying to watch some of that TAS, thanks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phetz posted:

Ahh that makes sense, thanks. I guess they aren't the Doom god it seemed like they were but still, going through Okuplok like that was very entertaining to watch.

Zeromaster is still a doom god, for sure. Check out his speedruns without tool-assist stuff, there are tons on that channel.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Make no mistake, Zeromaster has done Okuplok legit, just not with fast monsters hitless.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Phetz posted:

Zero Master is still super good at Doom and has had multiple world records for Doom/II. TASs do take a lot of effort to put together requiring a lot of knowledge to know how the game mechanics work, and tend to also be a good standard for speedrunners to work toward. If the TAS can do it, then there is a chance (even if very very small) that a person can do it.

edit: unless it's a TAS doing inputs that you cannot feasibly do like 60 frame-perfect inputs in one second. those are usually more for entertainment, but are still pretty legit as to what can be done in-engine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

Zero Master is still super good at Doom and has had multiple world records for Doom/II. TASs do take a lot of effort to put together requiring a lot of knowledge to know how the game mechanics work, and tend to also be a good standard for speedrunners to work toward. If the TAS can do it, then there is a chance (even if very very small) that a person can do it.

edit: unless it's a TAS doing inputs that you cannot feasibly do like 60 frame-perfect inputs in one second. those are usually more for entertainment, but are still pretty legit as to what can be done in-engine.

Yeah, Okuplok is notably so long that it's pretty unimaginable someone will ever finish it legitimately with at least saving (similarly to how we only got a single-segment continuous speedrun of TNT Evilution last year). The revenant hallway is frequently cited as the roadblock to such an attempt, as it's pretty much pure RNG and it's about three-fifths of the way in (so 1:30 in the 2:30 the TASes do).

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Arivia posted:

(similarly to how we only got a single-segment continuous speedrun of TNT Evilution last year)
:confused: stx-vile has UV-Speed full-game runs of both TNT and Plutonia circa 2002 according to COMPET-N.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are there any beginner guides for Doom mapping? I kind of want to see if I'd be into it, but I don't even know where to begin.

I don't necessarily mean "How To Use UDB" kind of stuff (I know how to make sectors, place things, and do switches and linedef triggers and such). I mean some general guidelines on how an actual map should be constructed to be fun/good.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Some good starting points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csWgZWI1IpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6arDCzmhONY

https://thathomestar.tumblr.com/post/181184007527/how-to-doom-part-74-the-devil-in-the-details

But best of all, some helpful people made an entire map that itself teaches good Doom mapping and design:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63530

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volte posted:

:confused: stx-vile has UV-Speed full-game runs of both TNT and Plutonia circa 2002 according to COMPET-N.

I don't know what I'm remembering then (did some looking around the internet and i can't find whatever video it was I remember), and I retract my comment.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thank you!

Arivia posted:

I don't know what I'm remembering then (did some looking around the internet and i can't find whatever video it was I remember), and I retract my comment.

You're probably thinking of a UV max run of TNT, which involves killing a PE behind a glitched wall (that's normally inaccessible) by exploiting a cacodemon and the infinite rocket blast height behavior. Someone famously shattered the record for that about a year or so ago.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Make no mistake, Zeromaster has done Okuplok legit, just not with fast monsters hitless.
Nobody has made a non-tas max demo of that map to my knowledge. There are a handful of players who conceivably could, but it's quite unlikely given the length and some of the more extreme setpieces - the revenant corridor at 1:31:00~ in the video being a classic example.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For lovers of Doom 1 and big maps, you have this
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/119237-hells-farthest-shore-the-command-center-updated/?tab=comments#comment-2246223

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm doing some dumb poo poo for my next map.

I'm addicted to doing dumb things, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFPVVzD4Dtw

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well looks like I'm going to have to cleanse my palate after my recent experience with Command Center aka Doom's Shittiest Map

Lol whoops after playing this and thinking to myself "this uses a lot of concepts from that other map instead... the one with the plasma gun bridge and secret exit" and it dawned on me that I got the name mixed up with Halls of the Damned :sweatdrop:

Also: Jesus Christ this map is gigantic

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 6, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Also: Jesus Christ this map is gigantic

I'm playing it, 50 minutes in, and for now I haven't got stuck. It's a harder map than I supposed, very little health around.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm playing it, 50 minutes in, and for now I haven't got stuck. It's a harder map than I supposed, very little health around.

It feels like it's inspired pretty heavily by Anagorisis (map 32) from Eviternity. If it's trying to be that, it fails, but as a worthy attempt instead of as an abject failure.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

To me, it reminded me of of of the big maps I played two years ago I believe, like Remnant. Same style of sprawling big map with very diverse styles, almost used in a kitbash fashion.
I finished it. Although it wasn't a 'pure' run to be honest, I used custom monsters, tweaked the difficulty too and I gave myself the SSG when I was over 60% done (I could do it as I was playing with Smooth Doom).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah it's not too bad. I think the difficulty feels just right on UV, at least for the Doom 1 enemy/weapon roster. I did savescum my way through it, but didn't really need to rely on it a ton. It took me an hour and a half! The map has over 900 enemies but it seems like a good 200 or so of them are in the mobs that guard the exit.

This map feels really weird to me. It's absolutely massive, but it doesn't look like it somehow. I don't know how else to describe it. It's also a gigantic pain to navigate in places. Most of the hallways are fine, but anything that involves climbing over the rocky features is just a nuisance. On several occasions I felt that I got lost only to bumble into the way forward and not really understand how I did it. It works I guess, but doesn't really feel great. There's also weird collision map shenanigans here and there. I found myself getting stuck on and bouncing off of walls regularly.

The architecture is really nice to look at and you can definitely notice setpieces that were taken from the original E2M5, such as the plasma gun bridge and and a few spots with vine-covered walls and hallways. It otherwise doesn't resemble the map at all though. It makes use of the "alternate dimension" gimmick at one point similar to That One TNT Map (or map 5 of Going Down), but the alternate area still connects back to the main map in a strange way. It's neat:

There seems to be a sidequest where you can collect the three skull keys by pushing three pairs of colored switches and hopping into the portal they open. I assume this gets you access to a BFG? I don't know. I managed to get the yellow and blue skulls, but the second red switch eluded me. I think I did manage to get my way down to the area where you're supposed to use them.

Honestly I feel like that this map would be better suited as a full-episode replacement for Shores of Hell instead of just one of the episode's levels. Not only because of the length but just because all of the concepts are pretty much there. Just needs a cyberdemon showdown under a tower to finish it off.

Got burnt out at the end though so I just ran from the slaughterfest of demons, barons, and cacos that mob you before the exit teleporter. Please don't put slaughter gameplay in your map if you're going to limit it to Doom 1 assets. It's just not going to be fun.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 7, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I finished it. Although it wasn't a 'pure' run to be honest, I used custom monsters, tweaked the difficulty too and I gave myself the SSG when I was over 60% done (I could do it as I was playing with Smooth Doom).
Out of curiosity, which custom-monsters mod did you use?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This time I used VDP Randomizer.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Came within a hair of completing Farthest Shores without a death blind and blew myself up rocketing pinkies in the final fight. Fs in the chat.

Doubly loving dumb because you have like a third of the map to manoeuvre in :cripes:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Because I had some issues making screenshots in Eternity, I will post instead this pagb666 video of the first level of Heartland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCUchWvGAA

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Back again with another BTSX2 post. I'm still slowly chopping along.

This map was lovely. It was tight and quirky and had all sorts of interesting features and things to explore. Lots of vertical space and fun music. My only issue with it was that early in the map, if I had pistol started, I would've had to have chopped down some archviles with just a regular shotgun. I may have missed something but that seems mean.

I clearly missed a big part of the map given the counts above. When I got to the big portal thing, I fought off the baddies and then stepped on the platform for the portal. It spooked me so I jumped off. I thought I had made a mistake, so I reloaded and rode it up into the portal. That ended the map. I have a prior save that I'll go back to later so I can explore further. Some parts of this one reminded me a little of Dick Kick 'em... maybe it was the aliens (demons) popping out of the portal. Loved the mix of hell+spacetech though.

The fights were fun and really challenged me sometimes (not hard to do).

The next map was the purple and grey place with no name and the big white sky. I can't find a way out of this. Is that the end of the megawad or was going through the portal a mistake? Did I beat it? I'm totally open for spoilers.

I really need to wrap up BTSX2 so I can get back to trying my hand at the community micro-slaughter project. I was enjoying that but the style was too stark for me to switch back and forth between the two. Also wanted to try the recently posted o.g. doom map but if it's as big as it sounds, I'll have to break it up over 3-4 plays probably.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 7, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

The next map was the purple and grey place with no name and the big white sky. I can't find a way out of this. Is that the end of the megawad or was going through the portal a mistake? Did I beat it? I'm totally open for spoilers.

That's it, that's the end. You've done it. Grats! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That's it, that's the end. You've done it. Grats! :toot:

Well, now I'm sad. I kind of didn't want the WAD to end. :ohdear:

I also kind of don't want to go back and finish ep. 1 because I feel like it's not as polished. I suppose I'll just wait for 3 and work on the micro-slaughter or whatever other cool stuff pops up in the thread for now.