Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

site posted:

for next regular wad can we do a d2 set, sigil already got me bored on udoom gameplay

Its gonna be a vote! But I would also like to get my super shotgun on.

IDK it was kinda nice being forced to play without the SSG for awhile, but the missing enemies is a problem I think.

Shoehead posted:

A good single level wad is Sapphire

Added it to the list, along with Verdant Citadel. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I think it's fair to say that the majority of things posted here will be for Doom 2. Hell probably the only reason why we're playing SIGIL at all is because it was made by Romero himself.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm glad we started with Sigil. It's a new wad, so it's fresh for a lot of people, but it's also a Romero wad ostensibly designed to be a tribute to the original Doom, so it makes a solid baseline.

Can't wait to see what comes next.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Zaphod42 posted:

So unlike the half-life era where things were more trying to be realistic, doom was very much "the sword does 5d6 damage!" style.
Yeah. Half-life was a great game, but the fetish for "realism" and mil-sim stuff has really steered fps design into a corner in the last decade+, at least when it comes to AAA stuff.

Having now finished Sigil I think my favourite map was number 5, Abaddon's Void. It has all the stuff that Romero loves and a lot of people dislike - the balance-beam stuff, monster closets out the wazoo, nukage floors and the rest. On the other hand I like the puzzle style, and I especially like how you peel the buildings apart piece by piece to reveal way more stuff going on inside than you thought.

I think an entire 30-level megawad of the same design choices would get wearing, but for a single episode I found Sigil made a nice change of pace. Agree that the Doom 1 roster holds it back and that the crusher room was overdone though.

I'm going to modify my original rating to 4 baphomets out of 6.66

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 30, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK it was kinda nice being forced to play without the SSG for awhile, but the missing enemies is a problem I think.

More than the lack of the SSG, it's the missing enemies that really makes it hard to go back to Doom 1. I never thought I'd say I miss Revenants, but they provide a nice middleground between imps and barons that's sorely missed playing Sigil.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mak0rz posted:

I think it's fair to say that the majority of things posted here will be for Doom 2. Hell probably the only reason why we're playing SIGIL at all is because it was made by Romero himself.

i recall people recommending that new udoom wad lunar catastrophe, as well as doom the way id did, which i wouldnt mind playing...after a palette cleanser

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Some one offs off the top of my head
Altitude
Miasma
Saturnine Chapel
The Egg of Human Endeavors (HMP implemented, while the rest of these are very "new" detailed visuals, this feels much more oldschool geometry and texturing wise but on a limit breaking scale which I think is cool)
Entropy (super visually impressive and has multiple difficulty settings!)

Also for more full wads I'd recommend looking at the Mayhem series of community projects, last year had 2 (orange and purple) with different weapon and enemy sets with some really cool maps, there was one fully textured with Super Mario World textures that was cool etc

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I recently played and really enjoyed hurt.wad, but I can understand if people wouldn't vote for it because it won't run decently on lower end PCs. Also, I'm not sure if people in here are into slaughter maps...

But it does look drat amazing.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hurt

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 30, 2019

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm usually not into slaughtermaps but I might be interested in Swim with the Whales because the cool blue aesthetic just does it for me.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

BaconCopter posted:

I recently played and really enjoyed hurt.wad, but I can understand if people wouldn't vote for it because it won't run decently on lower end PCs. Also, I'm not sure if people in here are into slaughter maps...

But it does look drat amazing.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hurt

I wouldn’t really call Hurt a slaughtermap, although I guess the end is a bit of a slaughter encounter. I don’t mind giving it a recommend as well, even if it does eat up frames like nobody’s business in parts.

Gonna try and get through SIGIL tonight; I’ll try to whip up my thoughts on it tomorrow or Thursday.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Played through Sigil on UV finally so let me give some detailed final thoughts on each level.

E5M1: "Baphomet's Demesne":
A pretty fun starting map that's manageable even on UV. Knowing where the secrets are definitely helps though. Teaches you to be on the lookout for the shot switches, and that there's going to be a lot of tight passages and narrow beams to expect in the future. Final room is tricky but there's enough space to run past the enemies to the end

E5M2: "Sheol":
The secrets once again really make or break this level on UV. There's a lot more enemies hanging around now, and the caco populating is rising. The cyberdemon is surprisingly harmless because by the time he spawns, the only thing he's blocking is you returning to the start. The end is definitely tough in that small room with cacos, barons and lost souls, but thankfully one of the secrets has a mega armor and you can try absorbing hits to run to the end.

E5M3: "Cages of the Damned":
I don't like this one anywhere near as much on UV simply because Romero removed a number of the rad suits. It's cheap difficulty to force the player to run across extended periods of hazard flooring, even more so when it's a small corridor with cacos in it. I like how the level opens up on itself, revealing more and more of the map, but it's just much more enjoyable to play on HMP. This is also a point where ammo starts to feel really scarce with the exception of shotgun from all the shotgunners dropping them. Cacos and Barons take enough damage that you can really run through through your resources quickly. Thankfully there's a rocket launcher hidden at the end to make the final baron easy, or you can wait for him to walk out of the exit chamber and run past.

E5M4: "Paths of Wretchedness":
Ruins path is definitely the best one here, being real tightly designed with nice secrets to find. The yellow key path is pretty boring, but the long door troll at the end is definitely funny and forces you to deal with what you just rushed past. That said it's again not great for the forced damage. And then the crusher path is just bad like we've all said so far. Too precise and cramped to be enjoyable and getting crushed is instant death because these are slow crushers. The final section isn't very memorable though it does look pretty. UV doesn't change much to be honest.

E5M5: "Abaddon's Void":
The cyberdemons are surprisingly not too dangerous if you're careful. This is a map that benefits from knowing the path because the critical path after exiting the central building is not very clear, and you don't have time to search for it while the cyberdemons are around. Another map whose buildings open up over time and expose more and more monster closets that block progress. Enemy density is a little high here but still manageable, plus you can find a secret rocket launcher to deal with the baron by the yellow key and a mega armor in the optional building. I don't like the final building very much because of how cramped it is while you have to fight pinkies and cacos. I always leave it with low health for whatever reason. It's not worth sticking around to fight both barons at the end, instead just run to the exit.

E5M6: "Unspeakable Persecution":
Another map where the exit is at the start but you have to go through a few loops first to open it up. This map's overly dark in places. The whole wad is but something about this one is just really dark. Pitch black in some of the ruins locations. The number of barons in the ruins have gone up in UV from two to three, but they warp to a mostly harmless place along hazard floors and can't really shoot you from below while you can potshot them to death. There's a very rude moment when you have to enter a tiny tunnel to progress, but it spawns a baron in front of you and two cacos behind. I wish the SSG existed here to blast the cacos backwards faster because this segment often results in heavy damage taken. And it looks like the mega armor that exists behind the baron in HMP is gone on UV.
Second part of the map is pretty fun with the maze. Adding the Cyberdemon to patrol the maze hallways is a fun decision, though he can be easily ignored by sneaking around the outside edges and he doesn't affect much when you're racing along the tops of the maze. Which is probably a good way to handle putting him in a cramped enclosure. Secret exit is probably more hidden than it needs to be, because finding that switch is extremely difficult and there's little to suggest it's there unless you're paying extremely close attention to the map.

E5M9: "Realm of Iblis":
For as hard as it is to get to this level, it's not very good. The first time I played it on HMP the trigger to open the door to the end failed to activate and I was stuck. I had to noclip to the end of the level after scouring it for what I did wrong. The most memorable part is the cyberdemon in the castle, but this is one you basically have to fight and don't have the rocket ammunition for it. If you've saved all your cells up to this point, you can use them but otherwise you will probably have to plink at him with shotgun blasts like I did on HMP. It's not very fun to deal with. The path forward is also weird in places, requiring you to just walk on random tops of walls to proceed, and the ending is pretty anticlimactic.

E5M7: "Nightmare Underworld":
This level is a big of a mess at times, full of a ton of ideas that only somewhat adhere together. The first bit that isn't very clear is right after you fall down at the start. There's nothing to really indicate that the broken wall can be opened by pressing Use on it. I remember being stuck here in my first playthrough for a few minutes because it really didn't look like the path for some reason. The secrets help a lot but they're pretty well hidden this time so your mileage may vary. The three teleporters segment was interesting for the first two, but then the third one devolves into a thin beam walk and a maze, with barons and cacos also in the segment. And then the final room shoves two barons into the end chamber with basically no room for you to dodge their blasts. Thankfully this level finally gives you a BFG and cells for it, so it helps alleviate situations like these. Could be worse but could be better.

E5M8: "Halls of Perdition":
In spite of the weird double bosses you don't even really need to fight if you're careful, and the weird exit with the invuln being inaccessible, I actually like this map. Maybe it's because the map finally goes "alright, this is the final map, you can have energy cells and other ammo now. It's not a ton of enemies, but the ones that are there make it count. The final enemy is also pretty funny. This one just feels good to play since it's short and isn't jampacked with crowded closets.

Overall: Sigil isn't bad, just not that amazing. It's also a bit weird in that it feels overcomplicated in its architecture compared to the originals. Very few right angles here. Like, it looks good, but it doesn't always evoke the feeling of a proper Episode 5. I miss the SSG a lot, as well as the enemy variety Doom 2 brings. I also wish it was a little less stingy with ammo, especially on UV. This is probably the most I've used the chainsaw, just to conserve on various ammos. And if you don't know where the secrets are, you really don't get any rockets to play with in spite of all the barons hanging around. It's a fun time, but one that I think I'm thoroughly done with by now. Unless we start doing some deathmatch on all the included DM maps, then I'll be happy to boot it up once more.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
the last 10% of Nightmare Underworld is a silly shitshow

e: and that's a wrap! solid 7/10. some rather clever sections but it just felt ... fine, on the whole. the last map was mostly frustrating, and the last stretch was very meh, particularly the final encounter — felt amateurish, surprisingly. i might be spoiled having just come from Sunlust, wherein despite its monster closet look-behind-you gimmicks, i enjoyed the map design a lot a lot.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 31, 2019

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

After playing through Sigil four things really stick out in my mind.

1. The E5M4 crushers. Yes, we all agree that they're awful, but there was a lot of effort Romero put in to make them as miserable as possible. After the second safe spot, the crushers on the shortest path to the next safe spot have such a short maximum clearance that taking them will almost certainly kill you. Making a longer path safer under such a stressful situation is fuckin' devious. Doesn't excuse the trap though.

2. I really question some of the line triggers in Sigil, particularly in E5M9. If you have to walk up to a locked door to trigger the path to its key, shouldn't you have the door out of sight so people have to confirm it's locked and trigger said path, instead of just seeing it from a distance and never heading over there and driving yourself crazy for a few minutes? Assuming you even trigger the walkway to said door.

3. The cleverest secret was in E5M6. You have to open all the red door bars, then walk over where they were to unlock a path to an invincibility power-up. Neat, more interesting than shooting an eye sigil or using walls until you find one that moves.

4. The worst secret was in E5M7, which was also my least favorite level overall. There's a green armor on a small island you can see from where you pick up the red skull key, and you have to trudge through some lava to get to it. That's not the secret. The secret is beyond that, in a small twisty passage of lava that's blocked off by a stone pillar that only starts descending--SLOWLY--once you enter said passage. And there's no rad suits on any difficulty, so waiting for it in the passage will kill you outright, so you have to retreat back to the small island. Getting this might be helpful on HMP or lower; it's a soulsphere, blue armor, computer map, and large cell pack. But on UV, there's no armor. You're going to end up with the same amount of health coming out as you are going in. gently caress this secret.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Flapjack Monty posted:

4. The worst secret was in E5M7, which was also my least favorite level overall. There's a green armor on a small island you can see from where you pick up the red skull key, and you have to trudge through some lava to get to it. That's not the secret. The secret is beyond that, in a small twisty passage of lava that's blocked off by a stone pillar that only starts descending--SLOWLY--once you enter said passage. And there's no rad suits on any difficulty, so waiting for it in the passage will kill you outright, so you have to retreat back to the small island. Getting this might be helpful on HMP or lower; it's a soulsphere, blue armor, computer map, and large cell pack. But on UV, there's no armor. You're going to end up with the same amount of health coming out as you are going in. gently caress this secret.

There's an invulnerability orb behind the switch that toggles the elevator to go back up to the start. Regardless, the pillar descends so slowly that you'll basically run out of invuln by the time you reach the secret and still have to run back taking damage.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Flapjack Monty posted:

There is another secret right around there where you get an invincibility which gives you just enough time to run to slow pillar, wait for it, grab the pickups and run back out before you take lava damage.

fack beatin like a chump in HMP

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

FPzero posted:

There's an invulnerability orb behind the switch that toggles the elevator to go back up to the start. Regardless, the pillar descends so slowly that you'll basically run out of invuln by the time you reach the secret and still have to run back taking damage.

...aw, son of a bitch. :doh:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

How 'bout this?

I will request that this is uploaded and then once it is done, post again asking for people who wants tags to let me know and I will get them added on :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VideoGames posted:

I will request that this is uploaded and then once it is done, post again asking for people who wants tags to let me know and I will get them added on :)

You got it. I bought it as an avatar which I think is what you're supposed to do? It's been a long time since I've made a gang tag!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

You got it. I bought it as an avatar which I think is what you're supposed to do? It's been a long time since I've made a gang tag!

Ha! I could have gotten it uploaded to the servers for free, but this way is quicker. So I will take the link to your new avatar and use it as a gangtag to request changes for anyone who would like one. Plus I will put in a request your old avatar so you do not have to buy a new one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whoops. I guess that fiver is my good deed for the day then, enjoy the burger lowtax! (To start things off, I'd like the tag appended to my own previous title, if you wouldn't mind)

edit: Thanks!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 31, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:jerkbag:

And the AI has no loving clue what to do with these jagged maps and gets caught on every corner. Pinkies might as well be stationary.

Getting Daikatana flashbacks...

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 31, 2019

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

VideoGames posted:

I need to buy an avatar to ask for the tag, right? I've been wanting to change avatar for awhile (I miss Stupid Newbie) but haven't had access to a credit card for years.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok some more early morning Sigil

Map 3:

Sweet and simple but groping about in the dark on painfloors is a pain.

Map 4:

Oh wait I mean this

The two crusher rooms were a pain, I'm not sure if I was supposed to use my invul to get through them but I instead used it on the Baron and legged it up the central route to avoid taking damage. Ended up doing the crushers last and then just legged it for the exit once everything spawned in that last room. I was OUTTA THERE :byewhore:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJacobs posted:

Yes, but if you wanna save a fiver you could try PMing a mod and asking them to add it to your current one. Palpek or Videogames might do it if you link the thread.

Someone needs to buy it first, image uploading is broken for some obscure radium reason. We can add it after its been bought though.

E:beaten by the kirbmeister :dogcited:

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 31, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

FPzero posted:

More than the lack of the SSG, it's the missing enemies that really makes it hard to go back to Doom 1. I never thought I'd say I miss Revenants, but they provide a nice middleground between imps and barons that's sorely missed playing Sigil.

...I’m not exactly a great Doom player, but how on Earth are Revenants less of a problem than Barons?

I think in a lot of situations I’d rather see a Cyberdemon than a Rev.

Anyway, I’ve been putting off Sigil precisely because just the thought of having to grind down Cacos without a SSG exhausts me. I guess I should give it a go, though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Revenants don't have that much HP which makes them preferable for me to a lot of the other enemies. They make a good glass cannon type monster.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's more that they have much less hp than a Baron and a high pain chance, so you can often stunlock them with the chaingun. But the real enemy I miss is the Hell Knight since they're literally a low hp Baron.

And I'd like to get in on the gang tag please!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Glagha posted:

Revenants don't have that much HP which makes them preferable for me to a lot of the other enemies. They make a good glass cannon type monster.
You can also bait their melee attacks the same way you can with pinkies. If you time it right you can bait an attack then backpedal and take no damage, then head back in and do it again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd rather deal with a dozen revenants than one archvile

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Revenants make me panic because they can be unpredictable. They're fast, have two different long range attacks, and will sometimes counterattack with a missile when shot. gently caress revenants.

I'm glad a single SSG blast is often enough to do them in, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh lol okay I had Revs and Archviles confused :v:

That said. Dodgeability >>> HP count when it comes to enemy difficulty, imo.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh god no, gently caress Archviles. Like I know they're there to make you panic and make mistakes but still gently caress Archviles, they have too much health for their bullshit.

Looking forward to DOOM Eternal and its archviles! :suicide:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Eternal archviles will never be as panic-inducing as the original. I'm not sure anything can be, except maybe if a Doom 2 archvile popped up while you were playing Wolfenstein 3D or the new Call of Duty or something.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Eternal archviles will never be as panic-inducing as the original. I'm not sure anything can be, except maybe if a Doom 2 archvile popped up while you were playing Wolfenstein 3D or the new Call of Duty or something.

God I'd love to see them pop up in Call of Duty randomly, that would be incredible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

Thank you videogames!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep. Archviles are the stuff of nightmares in Doom, much more than any other enemy that isn't a CD. Two Barons? ok. Two Mancubus? ok. Two revenants? ok.
Two archviles? Ruuuuun.

They are

- more than twice hp than a Revenant. They are tanky despite their looks.
- +50% faster movement speed!
- 55 avg damage, vs 40 of Revenant rocket
- most resistant enemy to pain
- and of course, their special auto-aim fire (or summon in your position, whatever you want to call it) ability, with huuuge range AND unavoidable without cover AND can't be stopped by other enemies between you and him.
- oh yeah, because all the previous points weren't enough, let's make him able to resurrect non-bosses enemies of any type

I doubt a lot their level of bullshit are replicated in Doom Eternal, AAA games at this point are more controlled, hyper-tested and 'smooth'

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep. Archviles are the stuff of nightmares in Doom, much more than any other enemy that isn't a CD. Two Barons? ok. Two Mancubus? ok. Two revenants? ok.
Two archviles? Ruuuuun.

They are

- more than twice hp than a Revenant. They are tanky despite their looks.
- +50% faster movement speed!
- most resistant enemy to pain
- and of course, their special auto-aim fire (or summon in your position, whatever you want to call it) ability, with huuuge range AND unavoidable without cover AND can't be stopped by other enemies between you and him.
- oh yeah, because all the previous points weren't enough, let's make him able to resurrect non-bosses enemies of any type

I doubt a lot their level of bullshit are replicated in Doom Eternal, AAA games at this point are more controlled, hyper-tested and 'smooth'

You forgot one thing: low pain chance, meaning it's hard to interrupt their attacks. That's why the best non-BFG weapons against them are either the plasma gun because of the high rate of fire or the SSG at point-blank because every one of the 20 pellets has a chance to trigger the pain state.

Edit: lmao I can't read. Still I'm keeping the extra info there

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 31, 2019

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol more like 80ish average. It's 20 direct + 70 blast, but since the blast isn't directly centered on your character it suffers from a small bit of falloff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i swear, if someone made a script or dehacked patch or whatever is just completely disables avs from being spawned in maps that use them i would use that poo poo in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

alternatively:

Arch-viles are the best Doom enemy.

It's when mappers use them badly where they become a problem.